Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
1 day ago
House of Psychotic Women Rarities Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.56

The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.85
7 hrs ago
Assassin's Creed 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.22

Bones and All (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.95
1 day ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

May 2019
Default Daylight's End - German blu ray

I couldn't find any other threads about this blu ray. Figured I'd kick this off since the film has become a big guilty pleasure of mine. The German blu ray utterly destroys the horrid USA dvd, and the audio track on the blu ray is very stout. I'm a firearms instructor, and found the weapons play to be very realistic and professionally executed for the film, right down to some of the smallest details, and I was immediately impressed by the decision to use some of the actual sounds of the various combat weapons depicted in the film. I'm a big fan of Johnny Strong and Lance Henriksen in B horror. This one just hits all the right chords for me, for a fast-paced apocalyptic vampire/zombie horror adventure. It takes some stylistic queues from productions like 28 Weeks Later, Stake Land, The Walking Dead tv series, and especially John Carpenter's Vampires.

Last edited by DaylightsEnd; 09-06-2021 at 02:17 AM.
Thanks given by:
Bourne1886 (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 04:49 AM   #2

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightsEnd View Post
I couldn't find any other threads about this blu ray. Figured I'd kick this off since the film has become a big guilty pleasure of mine. The German blu ray utterly destroys the horrid USA dvd, and the audio track on the blu ray is very stout. I'm a firearms instructor, and found the weapons play to be very realistic and professionally executed for the film, right down to some of the smallest details, and I was immediately impressed by the decision to use some of the actual sounds of the various combat weapons depicted in the film. I'm a big fan of Johnny Strong and Lance Henriksen in B horror. This one just hits all the right chords for me, for a fast-paced apocalyptic vampire/zombie horror adventure. It takes some stylistic queues from productions like 28 Weeks Later, Stake Land, The Walking Dead tv series, and especially John Carpenter's Vampires.
Your a firearms instructor shyte man that's cool. Have you seen that movie Way Of The Gun? The ending shootout has to be one of the most realistic shootouts in my opinion in a Hollywood movie, especially when he dives into the glass and pulls it out of his arm.

Last edited by TheDude85; 09-06-2021 at 04:59 AM.
Thanks given by:
DaylightsEnd (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 05:02 AM   #3

Sep 2011

That's what's missing in movies realism, nobody can punch or go through a glass window without cutting the **** out of themselves.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #4
Banned

Sep 2021

Is this a movie worth watching?
Old 09-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

May 2019

The weapons play and tactical positioning is so carefully depicted in this film, it even shows Johnny Strong's character on the ground struggling with an assailant, and he gets an all-too-common contact-based jam from his 1911, which he then has to get some distance and clear the jam. The producers weren't fooling around with this one. An ak47 sounds like an ak. An M4 sounds like an M4. An M1 Garand sounds and runs just like an M1 garand. And the coolest thing ever? Johnny Strong, walking around cleaning house with a fully SUPPRESSED, gas-regulated 16" M14 SOCOM 7.62 with a scout-positioned red dot forward optic. And actually stopping to swap out USGI steel 20-round box magazines. Yes he actually runs out of ammo and has to....reload!!!!! The action is well-filmed, too. I also like that Johnny Strong worked on the music for the film, AND is a big firearms guy himself. The fighting and stunts are pretty realistic, and most of the actors do their own fight scenes.

The action is grittier and more down-to-earth than most. No one is jumping off buildings like a superhero or punching through walls, or falling 100 feet and surviving, or throwing people a dozen yards through the air. No one gets shot 5 times by a 308 rifle and keeps running around. If you like apocalyptic zombie/vampire action horror craziness, and are a firearms fan, and sick of all the hollywood superhero fantasy films where no one gets hurt or dies, then give this one a whirl. It's at least worth a shot....Keeping in mind that it IS an over-the-top vampire horror...LOL

Last edited by DaylightsEnd; 09-06-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
East Anglia, U.K.

I’ve got the German Blu-Ray and think this is a cracking film and Blu-Ray. Glad I’ve got it. Johnny Strong did another good film called Sinners and Saints that I’ve also got on Blu-Ray aka Bad Cop.

Both are definitely worth watching.
Thanks given by:
DaylightsEnd (09-06-2021), Somerset (02-05-2022)
Old 09-06-2021, 10:40 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne1886 View Post
Iíve got the German Blu-Ray and think this is a cracking film and Blu-Ray. Glad Iíve got it. Johnny Strong did another good film called Sinners and Saints that Iíve also got on Blu-Ray aka Bad Cop.

Both are definitely worth watching.
THIS. Sinners and Saints is also a great flick indeed, sadly unknown and very underrated. Johnny's acting style in these two lead roles, and also his musical efforts, carry well across both of these films, which he has unmistakably stamped with his own brand. I hope to see more from him in the near future. Not just side roles or supporting roles, but more action, horror or both, with Strong in the lead, and enough budget to support his talent.
Thanks given by:
Bourne1886 (09-06-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
East Anglia, U.K.
United Kingdom

Quote:
THIS. Sinners and Saints is also a great flick indeed, sadly unknown and very underrated. Johnny's acting style in these two lead roles, and also his musical efforts, carry well across both of these films, which he has unmistakably stamped with his own brand. I hope to see more from him in the near future. Not just side roles or supporting roles, but more action, horror or both, with Strong in the lead, and enough budget to support his talent.
I watched DE during lockdown again for about the fifth time since I bought it originally (imported it from Germany off Amazon.de) and it hasnít lost any of its impact. I loved watching it again. For a B movie itís filmed and acted incredibly well and doesnít feel cheap or poor quality. Itís so well made in my opinion. I for one would love to see a sequel to this and Saints and Sinners as I think they are both fantastic and really stood out to me and were thoroughly enjoyable. For straight to video releases they are fantastic, actually fantastic full stop. What they achieved on the budgets they had (5mil for S@S and 2 mil for DE) is nothing short of brilliance. Iím so pleased I have them in my collection. Johnny Strong is so cool in them.
Thanks given by:
DaylightsEnd (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 11:44 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2019

I was surprised that in nearly 5 years since its release, no one had even started a thread about the very solid German blu ray. I think the market was glutted with zombie and vampire apocalypse films at the time, and this one just got lost in the mega-tsunami of similar releases that everyone was drowning in, and/or burning out on.

Two other action/horror films I came across around the same time, also with solid blu rays and enjoyable action sequences with good weapons play, were Kill Command (a great 2016 sci fi action horror) and The Colony (2013), which is similar in some ways to DE, set in a dismal future where the Earth has frozen over, and struggling groups are trying to survive in underground bunkers while fending off cannibal mutant hoards similar to the DE vampires.

Last edited by DaylightsEnd; 09-07-2021 at 11:55 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bourne1886 (09-08-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 11:51 PM   #10
Banned

Sep 2021

Quote:
I was surprised that in nearly 5 years since its release, no one had even started a thread about the very solid German blu ray. I think the market was glutted with zombie and vampire apocalypse films at the time, and this one just got lost in the mega-tsunami of similar releases that everyone was drowning in, and/or burning out on.
This is on pretty much every streaming service too, Tubi tv, Pluto tv, Amazon Prime etc.

I guess since it's a movie from 2016 and has Lance Henrikson in it people will look away because he does star in a lot of crap direct to video lately movies like Danny Trejo, Vinny Jones do.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:58 PM   #11
Banned

Sep 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude85 View Post
Your a firearms instructor shyte man that's cool. Have you seen that movie Way Of The Gun? The ending shootout has to be one of the most realistic shootouts in my opinion in a Hollywood movie, especially when he dives into the glass and pulls it out of his arm.
Way Of The Gun was underrated, That shootout at the end had me in Awe LOL. Especially when you have a good surround sound set up you really hear those bullets wiz by.
Thanks given by:
DaylightsEnd (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
East Anglia, U.K.

It’s such a shame that films like this don't get the recognition they deserve because the craft behind them is brilliant and they end up being left in obscurity and only a few appreciate them.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #13

Sep 2020

Anyone know if the German release will play in U.S. players? This film is like Mad Max with zombies and I loved Strong as the lead. And I cant say I'd disagree with the take on the gun battle while the creepy girl is moaning away in the middle of it.. almost as intense as some of Michael Mann's works (Heat, Miami Vice); alright maybe not but it's well choreographed. Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes for a low budget end of the world action zombie film..
Thanks given by:
DaylightsEnd (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 02:21 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locus-Solus View Post
Anyone know if the German release will play in U.S. players? This film is like Mad Max with zombies and I loved Strong as the lead......Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes for a low budget end of the world action zombie film..
The German blu ray is in fact region B locked. A great reason to grab a region-free or region-selectable (preferably 4k) blu ray player. I have a large collection of great horror and sci fi films that have only been released on region B locked discs, or have had superior import releases. Region-free players have always been a necessity for me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International