Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Shawscope Volume Two (Blu-ray)
£96.46

House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

The Street Fighter Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Naked Lunch 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99

The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection: Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
£47.94

House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99

Two Orphan Vampires (Blu-ray)
£16.99

Singin' in the Rain 4K (Blu-ray)
£13.99

Naked Lunch (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Fall (Blu-ray)
£10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-04-2022, 02:16 PM   #3281
Special Member

Mar 2019
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr727 View Post
Also the spine reads like: A box of CURZON published by Wim Wenders.
Published by Cadburys and then we're taliking!
Thanks given by:
dr727 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 02:25 PM   #3282
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2020
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
£250 for 22 films is a pretty good deal. If there was some confirmation on who did the video compression and disc authoring of the discs, I'll either get the set or some of the individual titles if they aren't pixel pizza.
Yeah price for content it doesnt really seem that bad of a deal considering the individual BR's are going for £15 and it looks like the disks are housed in a good sized book

Got both the box and the steel on pre order from amazon, I'll definitely stick with the latter(considering the UHD isnt in the box?) but the former honestly it depends on whether I'm going to commit to watching all those docs.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #3283
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialAgent View Post
“Over 50 Special Features including exclusive interviews, deleted scenes, commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, music videos, original and restored theatrical trailers.”

So are they actually on the last wave of Blu-rays but not mentioned on the back, or the discs re-encoded for the boxset, or the extras only on bonus discs?
I'd be surprised if they re-encoded new discs just for the box set, and to add special features they could've included in the separate editions. I will never know why Curzon do things this way around - release single editions, and then a box set afterwards. It really doesn't make any sense! You're just going to piss off the same customers who'd be interested in these films in the first place!

Anyway, I reckon all the special features will be on the films/discs exclusive to the box set. There are 22 films and 22 discs, and some of these films aren't that long, meaning they could cram all the extras they like onto those discs (and reuse the discs they've already released separately - Alice in the Cities, Kings of the Road, The American Friend, Paris Texas, Wings of Desire, Buena Vista Social Club, Pina, The Salt of the Earth).

I wonder why they haven't planned to release the other discs either separately or as mini-sets, like they did for the Truffaut titles. I'd certainly be interested in, say, a mini box set of the documentary/docudrama stuff, and you could immediately pair Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close!, and obviously the Road Trilogy (Alice in the Cities, Wrong Move, Kings of the Road). Guess they missed a trick there...once again.

I get the impression these have all been licensed directly from Wim Wenders Stiftung, as Axiom did before (still think they would've done better going the box set route, I doubt their editions sold particularly strongly...I bought most of them for £6-8 each in the end!), hence the off-the-shelf short films and extras and access to rare Wenders titles. Be interested to see the quality of the masters for some of them, as the ones not mentioned in the specs are probably not restored and may be similar to the Axiom DVD releases, just upscaled to HD.

I wonder if they'll release a cheaper set eventually with less elaborate packaging and no posters/booklet/polaroids. Either way I'm not paying more than £130-ish for it (I still haven't bought Criterion's WKW set, nor their Godzilla or Varda ones, as I'd realistically only pay about £100 maximum for those).
Thanks given by:
trobrianders (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #3284
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2020
UK

To be fair the WKW set came out a lot more per film, more than your standard Criterion disk were as this is a little more than £10 per film.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:24 PM   #3285

Aug 2016

I wish they'd get the pre-orders sorted before announcing them... now I'm refreshing the pages... Amazon UK is saying it'll come out in 2027, obviously just random wrong info. And "temporarily out of stock".
Old 10-22-2022, 02:11 AM   #3286
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

Not all hope is lost - Curzon will release A24 film Funny Pages on 12th December. Not seen any news of a domestic Blu-ray yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Funny-Pages...dp/B0BHX6PC9Q/

The Wenders boxset and Wings of Desire are now dated for 28th November.

Last edited by CelestialAgent; 10-22-2022 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:39 PM   #3287
Special Member

Mar 2019
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
I'd be surprised if they re-encoded new discs just for the box set, and to add special features they could've included in the separate editions. I will never know why Curzon do things this way around - release single editions, and then a box set afterwards. It really doesn't make any sense! You're just going to piss off the same customers who'd be interested in these films in the first place!

Anyway, I reckon all the special features will be on the films/discs exclusive to the box set. There are 22 films and 22 discs, and some of these films aren't that long, meaning they could cram all the extras they like onto those discs (and reuse the discs they've already released separately - Alice in the Cities, Kings of the Road, The American Friend, Paris Texas, Wings of Desire, Buena Vista Social Club, Pina, The Salt of the Earth).

I wonder why they haven't planned to release the other discs either separately or as mini-sets, like they did for the Truffaut titles. I'd certainly be interested in, say, a mini box set of the documentary/docudrama stuff, and you could immediately pair Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close!, and obviously the Road Trilogy (Alice in the Cities, Wrong Move, Kings of the Road). Guess they missed a trick there...once again.

I get the impression these have all been licensed directly from Wim Wenders Stiftung, as Axiom did before (still think they would've done better going the box set route, I doubt their editions sold particularly strongly...I bought most of them for £6-8 each in the end!), hence the off-the-shelf short films and extras and access to rare Wenders titles. Be interested to see the quality of the masters for some of them, as the ones not mentioned in the specs are probably not restored and may be similar to the Axiom DVD releases, just upscaled to HD.

I wonder if they'll release a cheaper set eventually with less elaborate packaging and no posters/booklet/polaroids. Either way I'm not paying more than £130-ish for it (I still haven't bought Criterion's WKW set, nor their Godzilla or Varda ones, as I'd realistically only pay about £100 maximum for those).
A bit puzzled by some of your questions. Films aren't just licensed leaving the licensor free to determine in what manner they'll release them. Deals are negotiated according to pre-agreed usage terms. When you say you don't understand why AE don't do this or don't do that the answer is always the same. Money! They spend according to what they want out of it.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:15 PM   #3288
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialAgent View Post
Not all hope is lost - Curzon will release A24 film Funny Pages on 12th December. Not seen any news of a domestic Blu-ray yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Funny-Pages...dp/B0BHX6PC9Q/
Really happy to see they’re doing a Blu-ray as I wanted to see it theatrically but of course it only had a limited run and wasn’t showing anywhere near me. Trailer sold me immediately so will happily blind-buy this at some point!
Thanks given by:
BunyipPouch (10-26-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 01:41 AM   #3289
Power Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Really happy to see they’re doing a Blu-ray as I wanted to see it theatrically but of course it only had a limited run and wasn’t showing anywhere near me. Trailer sold me immediately so will happily blind-buy this at some point!
Had my problems with the film but I don't think I've seen a film this year that was more perfectly cast. Each character looks like a Crumb/Pekar sketch.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:01 AM   #3290
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

Quote:
Unless it’s Wenders or Triangle of Sadness or Blind Ambition, Curzon titles never screen locally.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:28 AM   #3291
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

While it was already apparent from the Lionsgate logo appearing on the poster and at the start of the film (though there was also a Curzon logo when I went to the Vue preview), I guess we won’t be seeing a Curzon Blu-ray of Triangle of Sadness anytime soon - the rights have been sold to Lionsgate, six months after Curzon initially acquired the rights after Cannes.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/lio...176064.article

This isn’t unheard of either - this article references the StudioCanal deal for Parasite (though Curzon still released the disc, it’s on Curzon Home Cinema and Curzon also controlled the theatrical release of the black and white version after cinemas reopened), 45 Years involved Lionsgate in some form. Rights have shifted about before - Element Pictures Distribution joined with Picturehouse for the Irish release of Herself, a year after Picturehouse were going to release it just by themselves, and after the religious controversy of The Lady of Heaven sparked protests outside cinemas, Vertigo Releasing dropped the film entirely.
Thanks given by:
BunyipPouch (11-03-2022), minister_x (11-03-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #3292
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

Happy to see Official Competition coming in December, as the Arthaus Blu-ray apparently doesn’t have the English subtitles Amazon promised.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=31609
Thanks given by:
fdm (11-06-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 12:25 PM   #3293
Power Member

Apr 2015

Curzon/AE sale at Fopp (and maybe HMV I'm not sure).
https://twitter.com/FOPPofficial/sta...21koWWZPQ&s=19
Thanks given by:
magnetiques (11-08-2022), Nedoflanders (11-08-2022), trobrianders (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 08:18 PM   #3294
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2019
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavebobSpongeman View Post
Nothing so far, I don't know why they do FOPP only sales to be honest..
Old 11-08-2022, 10:30 PM   #3295

Sep 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavebobSpongeman View Post
Not much of a sale. £5 for a DVD and £8 for a Blu-ray was pretty much the regular pricing for AE titles in Fopp until recently. Still, it's a good excuse to fill a couple of gaps and the boxset deals seem to be alright (Bong Joon-Ho at £30).
Old 11-13-2022, 06:43 PM   #3296
Power Member

Nov 2011
London, England

Seems like they are rereleasing FORCE MAJEURE with the new Curzon branding
Old 11-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #3297

Jul 2015
Shropshire, United Kingdom

Starting to look like we won’t be getting Claire Denis’ Both Sides of the Blade
Old 11-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #3298
Special Member

Mar 2019
UK

Does anyone know the AE DVDs most likely to get a blu upgrade?
Old 11-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #3299
Power Member

Sep 2007
Pueblo CO

Wondering why amazon.uk wont allow the wenders set to ship to USA? amazon is so much cheaper than zavvi for this .

Last edited by iwanttobeabmoviestar; 11-19-2022 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added
Old 11-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #3300
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

Flux Gourmet - 19th December

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flux-Gourme...dp/B0BLSPMPD7/
Thanks given by:
BunyipPouch (11-19-2022), Richard A (11-20-2022), Rutger Lundgren (11-19-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Tags
arthouse, artificial eye, foreign film, independent film