Best Prime Deals

Best Prime Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Nope UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Bullet Train (Prime)
$4.99

Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Eternals HD (Prime)
$9.99

Black Widow (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Captain America: The Winter Soldier UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Doctor Strange UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Iron Man HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thor HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thor: Ragnarok HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #1

Jan 2015
Default 1408 (2007)

I recently became interested in purchasing the original theatrical release of 1408 on digital.

From my limited research, I'd learned that the version available for purchase on Amazon Prime Video is apparently the theatrical release. However, the runtime is listed at 1 hr 52 min, which as I understand it, is the runtime for the director's cut (the theatrical release is supposed to be 1 hr 44 min).

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Prime Video version that's currently available is still the theatrical release or if it is now the director's cut?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2023, 05:48 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader2k View Post
I recently became interested in purchasing the original theatrical release of 1408 on digital.

From my limited research, I'd learned that the version available for purchase on Amazon Prime Video is apparently the theatrical release. However, the runtime is listed at 1 hr 52 min, which as I understand it, is the runtime for the director's cut (the theatrical release is supposed to be 1 hr 44 min).

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Prime Video version that's currently available is still the theatrical release or if it is now the director's cut?

Thanks!
I watched it a month ago on Prime. The ending is the theatrical version (
[Show spoiler]Mike and Lilly react to the tape)

I rewatched the film just now on blu ray. The film looks great, and still had a good time watching it. Surprisingly, I forgot certain details of the film and I watched not to long ago. I really liked the director’s cut to the film.

We need a 4k version with all the endings with the option to manually pick one or with randomization.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:56 AM   #3

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini912 View Post
I watched it a month ago on Prime. The ending is the theatrical version (
[Show spoiler]Mike and Lilly react to the tape)

I rewatched the film just now on blu ray. The film looks great, and still had a good time watching it. Surprisingly, I forgot certain details of the film and I watched not to long ago. I really liked the director’s cut to the film.

We need a 4k version with all the endings with the option to manually pick one or with randomization.
Thanks for the response!

I could be wrong, but at the time I posted this, I think the Amazon version was only available for purchase and not included with Prime. But it definitely is now, like you mentioned. The weird thing is is that the runtime for the film on the info page is 113 min (1hr 53min), but upon starting the film, it shows the runtime as 1hr 44min, which is the theatrical runtime and matches your findings. Nothing like Amazon adding unnecessary confusion!

Side note, I did end up purchasing a copy in iTunes and it too ended up being the theatrical version. I just forgot to come post that on my own thread.

Anyway, yeah it'd be great to see see this get a 4K release and offer both versions. Hopefully someday, but if not I'll probably still check out the director's cut sometime too.
Thanks given by:
Fellini912 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 02:16 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:
Thanks for the response!

I could be wrong, but at the time I posted this, I think the Amazon version was only available for purchase and not included with Prime. But it definitely is now, like you mentioned. The weird thing is is that the runtime for the film on the info page is 113 min (1hr 53min), but upon starting the film, it shows the runtime as 1hr 44min, which is the theatrical runtime and matches your findings. Nothing like Amazon adding unnecessary confusion!

Side note, I did end up purchasing a copy in iTunes and it too ended up being the theatrical version. I just forgot to come post that on my own thread.

Anyway, yeah it'd be great to see see this get a 4K release and offer both versions. Hopefully someday, but if not I'll probably still check out the director's cut sometime too.
Have you seen all the ending?

If so, which one do you like the most?
Old 01-22-2023, 03:27 PM   #5

Jan 2015

Quote:
Have you seen all the ending?

If so, which one do you like the most?
No, I haven't yet. However, when researching the different endings, the theatrical sounded the most appealing to me, which is why I sought out that version. That said, I am curious to check them all out sometime, just to see how they compare against each other.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:41 PM   #6
Special Member

Mar 2018
Texas

Quote:

Thanks!
if you want a BD version of the original theatrical cut then your best bets are either the Japanese BD (no director's cut) or the German BD (which has both cuts but you'd have to tolerate the title being altered to "Zimmer 1408"), both are region free so you don't have to worry about getting a region free player or anything

I remember for a long time, at least in the US, the theatrical cut was VERY elusive on home video as it was literally exclusive to the DVD release, all BD and streaming releases at that time were the director's cut (this wasn't the only WC horror title that was affected either) so as a result of this, for years I only saw the director's cut with the crap sad ending and it wasn't until several months ago I purchased the German BD and watched the theatrical cut and preferred it a lot more

really the only advantage the German/Japanese BDs have over the streaming master is they have the original Dimension films logo in the opening that was plastered with the Lionsgate logo on current streaming releases

however, there are some other major differences between both cuts besides the two endings

the biggest differences include some additional shots during Enslin's initial attack by the claw hammer maniac, a MUCH longer version of the vent crawl sequence where
[Show spoiler]he sees an additional vision of one of the fights with his dad and then later actually finding the dead body of one of the past victims who then proceeds to come to life and chase him (in the theatrical cut we only saw the part of when he's chased by the ghost)
, an additional scene when
[Show spoiler]Enslin thinks he's outside of the room
where he returns to the post office and encounters the same employee from the beginning of the movie and then goes to visit his dad at a retirement home, and an extra small scene where
[Show spoiler]after Mike returns to the room in a dire state, he sees a vision of his daughter's body in a coffin in a furnace being cremated (in the theatrical cut he just repeatedly screams "I WAS OUT!!!!")

there are also a bunch of tiny differences I didn't bother to list which mostly just come down to using alternative material in those moments

it's really a shame that the theatrical cut didn't become majorly available until the past year or two when Lionsgate inherited WC's catalog because it is the superior cut, aside from the ending, in general the pacing is just better

I think even the director stated in the commentary he preferred the theatrical cut over the "so-called director's cut" (his words) and it's likely he was forced to release an alternate cut of the movie per the Weinsteins at that time
Thanks given by:
Fellini912 (01-22-2023), Vader2k (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 05:38 PM   #7

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanDoug View Post
if you want a BD version of the original theatrical cut then your best bets are either the Japanese BD (no director's cut) or the German BD (which has both cuts but you'd have to tolerate the title being altered to "Zimmer 1408"), both are region free so you don't have to worry about getting a region free player or anything

I remember for a long time, at least in the US, the theatrical cut was VERY elusive on home video as it was literally exclusive to the DVD release, all BD and streaming releases at that time were the director's cut (this wasn't the only WC horror title that was affected either) so as a result of this, for years I only saw the director's cut with the crap sad ending and it wasn't until several months ago I purchased the German BD and watched the theatrical cut and preferred it a lot more

really the only advantage the German/Japanese BDs have over the streaming master is they have the original Dimension films logo in the opening that was plastered with the Lionsgate logo on current streaming releases

however, there are some other major differences between both cuts besides the two endings

the biggest differences include some additional shots during Enslin's initial attack by the claw hammer maniac, a MUCH longer version of the vent crawl sequence where
[Show spoiler]he sees an additional vision of one of the fights with his dad and then later actually finding the dead body of one of the past victims who then proceeds to come to life and chase him (in the theatrical cut we only saw the part of when he's chased by the ghost)
where he returns to the post office and encounters the same employee from the beginning of the movie and then goes to visit his dad at a retirement home, and an extra small scene where
[Show spoiler]after Mike returns to the room in a dire state, he sees a vision of his daughter's body in a coffin in a furnace being cremated (in the theatrical cut he just repeatedly screams "I WAS OUT!!!!")

there are also a bunch of tiny differences I didn't bother to list which mostly just come down to using alternative material in those moments

it's really a shame that the theatrical cut didn't become majorly available until the past year or two when Lionsgate inherited WC's catalog because it is the superior cut, aside from the ending, in general the pacing is just better

I think even the director stated in the commentary he preferred the theatrical cut over the "so-called director's cut" (his words) and it's likely he was forced to release an alternate cut of the movie per the Weinsteins at that time
Thanks for all of the information! I do recall reading about the Japanese and German BDs and was considering picking one up if I wasn't able to locate the theatrical on digital. I'm mostly digital these days and only buy physical when digital isn't available.

Yeah, I heard the director preferred the theatrical too. You'd think they'd call it an alternate cut so as to not add any confusion.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:46 PM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2018
Texas

Quote:
Thanks for all of the information! I do recall reading about the Japanese and German BDs and was considering picking one up if I wasn't able to locate the theatrical on digital. I'm mostly digital these days and only buy physical when digital isn't available.

Yeah, I heard the director preferred the theatrical too. You'd think they'd call it an alternate cut so as to not add any confusion.
what's interesting is the theatrical streaming master is an entirely different one from the 2007 DVD/German BD masters (and I suspect the Japanese BD is the same way) that actually is a bit better, it has a slightly tighter framing which corrects the issue the BD master had (even the director's cut had this issue) where black bars would appear in certain shots on the sides which means that the framing was likely too loose on the old master (a thing done at that time to compensate for TV overscan)

unfortunately certain platforms have the movie in a pan and scan ratio (I know Tubi definitely did), so you'd have to also be careful what platform to watch the movie on, and again the Lionsgate logo plastering the Dimension logo bothers me a bit
Old 01-22-2023, 05:51 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:

Thank you for the post

I finished watching the director’s cut last night. I really liked the pacing and the ending (darker ending) than the theatrical cut. I really hope that someone will release a 4k with all the endings as an option (if I have to pick a company - Arrow)

Now, the ending I saw on Prime is
[Show spoiler]Mike and Lilly react to the tape
where on the blu-ray the theatrical ending is
[Show spoiler]Mike is the only reacting to the tape
. Which was the one shown in theaters?
Old 01-22-2023, 06:13 PM   #10

Jan 2015

Quote:
what's interesting is the theatrical streaming master is an entirely different one from the 2007 DVD/German BD masters (and I suspect the Japanese BD is the same way) that actually is a bit better, it has a slightly tighter framing which corrects the issue the BD master had (even the director's cut had this issue) where black bars would appear in certain shots on the sides which means that the framing was likely too loose on the old master (a thing done at that time to compensate for TV overscan)

unfortunately certain platforms have the movie in a pan and scan ratio (I know Tubi definitely did), so you'd have to also be careful what platform to watch the movie on, and again the Lionsgate logo plastering the Dimension logo bothers me a bit
Oh really, there's even differences in the framing between physical and digital?!? Well blah... I might have to reconsider picking up a physical copy.

That's unfortunate to hear some streaming platforms are cropped to 4:3 as well. I don't think I've heard of that being done anymore, save for TV shows that were only presented that way to begin with.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:16 PM   #11

Jan 2015

Quote:
Thank you for the post

I finished watching the director’s cut last night. I really liked the pacing and the ending (darker ending) than the theatrical cut. I really hope that someone will release a 4k with all the endings as an option (if I have to pick a company - Arrow)

Now, the ending I saw on Prime is
[Show spoiler]Mike and Lilly react to the tape
where on the blu-ray the theatrical ending is
[Show spoiler]Mike is the only reacting to the tape
. Which was the one shown in theaters?
Wait, there are different variations of the theatrical ending itself too?
Old 01-22-2023, 09:26 PM   #12
Special Member

Mar 2018
Texas

Quote:
Wait, there are different variations of the theatrical ending itself too?
there are four endings total, the two "official" endings and two endings that went unused

in the third ending it was mostly identical to the theatrical version but Lily doesn't hear the tape recording

in the fourth ending, Sam (Enslin's publisher) finds an envelope of a manuscript Mike wrote while in 1408 and as Sam is reading it, various different audio samples play of Mike's experiences in the room, Sam's office doors then slam shut and in Mike's dad's voice you hear him say "As you are, I was. As I am, you will be."

funny how none of these four endings is how the original Stephen King short story ended

Quote:
Oh really, there's even differences in the framing between physical and digital?!? Well blah... I might have to reconsider picking up a physical copy.

That's unfortunate to hear some streaming platforms are cropped to 4:3 as well. I don't think I've heard of that being done anymore, save for TV shows that were only presented that way to begin with.
while there was a DVD released in 2007 (I believe is based off of the theatrical cut) that was a 4x3 version, the pan and scan version that's on Tubi and likely airs on TV is actually in 16x9, still counts as pan and scan since the original theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1
Old 01-22-2023, 10:00 PM   #13

Jan 2015

Quote:
there are four endings total, the two "official" endings and two endings that went unused

in the third ending it was mostly identical to the theatrical version but Lily doesn't hear the tape recording

in the fourth ending, Sam (Enslin's publisher) finds an envelope of a manuscript Mike wrote while in 1408 and as Sam is reading it, various different audio samples play of Mike's experiences in the room, Sam's office doors then slam shut and in Mike's dad's voice you hear him say "As you are, I was. As I am, you will be."

funny how none of these four endings is how the original Stephen King short story ended

while there was a DVD released in 2007 (I believe is based off of the theatrical cut) that was a 4x3 version, the pan and scan version that's on Tubi and likely airs on TV is actually in 16x9, still counts as pan and scan since the original theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1
Thanks for the explanation of all the various endings!

Ah ok, I understand what you mean by calling the 16x9 version pan and scan. I recently ran into the inverse of that with my old copy of Ninja Scroll. It had a 16x9 image that was created by zooming & cropping the original 4:3 source. Kind of annoying to find out I was missing a portion of the image for so long.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video