Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Bullet Train (iTunes)
$4.99
4 hrs ago
Stanley Kubrick: 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
A24 Pack (iTunes)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
Tr (iTunes)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
Kubrick: 3-Film Collection (iTunes)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
The Woman King (iTunes)
$7.99
4 hrs ago
Blade Runner 3-Film Collection (iTunes)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (iTunes)
$6.99
4 hrs ago
Titanic (iTunes)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
Deadpool 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (iTunes)
$7.99
4 hrs ago
The Matrix: 4-Film Dj Vu Collection (iTunes)
$24.99
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes

Old 03-07-2021, 12:37 AM   #1

Jan 2018
Default digital movie code redeeming questions

I have some general digital movie code redeeming questions

Is it better to redeem a digital movie code on a retailer site like iTunes or Vudu or MoviesAnywhere. What is one of the retailers shut down or what if MoviesAnywhere shuts down.

for HD code redeeming
1) if the movie is 4k in iTunes, Movies Anywhere, and Vudu, is it better to redeem the code in iTunes
2) does iTunes still upgrade movies to UHD 4k if redeeming a HD code?

for UHD code redeeming
2) If the movie is UHD in iTunes, Movies Anywhere, and Vudu what is the best place to redeem a code?
Old 03-07-2021, 02:43 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri4jenn View Post
Is it better to redeem a digital movie code on a retailer site like iTunes or Vudu or MoviesAnywhere. What is one of the retailers shut down
That's anyone's guess. When Target Ticket shut down, they transferred user libraries to CinemaNow. When CinemaNow shut down, movies that were not transferred to other retailers via Ultraviolet were lost. Bottomline, pick a retailer that isn't likely to shut down. I'd recommend to prioritize iTunes or Amazon.
Quote:
or what if MoviesAnywhere shuts down.
When Ultraviolet shut down, users' complete libraries remained at the formerly connected retailers. I'd expect it would be the same with MA.
Quote:
for HD code redeeming
1) if the movie is 4k in iTunes, Movies Anywhere, and Vudu, is it better to redeem the code in iTunes
iTunes, since you'll receive a free 4K upgrade. But you don't always have the choice. Not many movies come with iTunes codes anymore.
Quote:
2) does iTunes still upgrade movies to UHD 4k if redeeming a HD code?
Yes.
Quote:
for UHD code redeeming
2) If the movie is UHD in iTunes, Movies Anywhere, and Vudu what is the best place to redeem a code?
If it's an MA movie, it doesn't really matter. But Paramount, Lionsgate and some smaller distributors don't participate in MA. In that case use your preferred retailer.
Thanks given by:
stevemcqueen83 (03-08-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 05:46 AM   #3

May 2021

I would like to buy "Promising Young Woman" which is a Focus Features studio. I'm not sure what platforms it can redeem to? Does anyone know if iTunes is an option? Thanks.
Thanks given by:
moebeus1975 (11-29-2022)
Old 06-11-2021, 12:28 AM   #4
Special Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1809 View Post
I would like to buy "Promising Young Woman" which is a Focus Features studio. I'm not sure what platforms it can redeem to? Does anyone know if iTunes is an option? Thanks.
iTunes is not an option. If 4K is what you want, the only way to get it is to buy it direct.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:50 AM   #5
Power Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
iTunes is not an option. If 4K is what you want, the only way to get it is to buy it direct.
I Tunes IS an option! They offer it in 4K, along with DV & Atmos.
https://www.blu-ray.com/itunes/Promi...iTunes/163863/
It's ALSO a Universal Studios movie which makes it MA eligible as well,
Old 06-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #6
Power Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
According to the redemption spreadsheet there is no 4K code and no iTunes redemption, it’s MA but has to be bought direct from the provider.
If a code is redeemed then you’d only get HD.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #7
Banned

Mar 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
It's an MA code, no itunes option.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #8
Power Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibaliztik View Post
It's an MA code, no itunes option.
My mistake!

I thought the question was being asked if the movie could be obtained via iTunes.

BUT, doesn't MA DIRECT you to a merchant from which to choose?
Since, they don't actually "sell" the titles themselves.
I know that's how it is for purchasing digital titles.
I don't recall ever "redeeming" a code via MA.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
Banned

Mar 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
My mistake!

I thought the question was being asked if the movie could be obtained via iTunes.

BUT, doesn't MA DIRECT you to a merchant from which to choose?
Since, they don't actually "sell" the titles themselves.
I know that's how it is for purchasing digital titles.
I don't recall ever "redeeming" a code via MA.
You can choose Vudu/FN or redeem directly on MA, but itunes is not an option to get the 4K.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #10
Power Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibaliztik View Post
You can choose Vudu/FN or redeem directly on MA, but itunes is not an option to get the 4K.
Now there is where I'm "confused" because I was under the impression that MA was NOT a "digital locker" but more of a "digital bridge" to other companies owned content? The way it was explained to me MA is NOT a storefront, NOR do they possess these titles...they are more of an aggregator of content, as opposed to a "distributor" of content.

Now, my logic as it is, I admit may be flawed here...but it occurs to me that if MA does not "sell" titles, they very well cannot "redeem" them either. And MA doesn't sell a thing! You don't "buy" from MA, they simply create a path to a dealer who DOES sell what your looking for.

Ever look at MA's "daily deals" section? An entire section of all current titles currently on sale (or more accurately below normal retail price, I'll explain, bear with me). If you'd ever peruse these daily as I have over several months (and daily when blu-ray,com was down a couple mos ago...) you'll notice the SAME movies with duplicate tiles, and I don't mean Dawn Of the Dead Theatrical vs. Dawn/Dead Uncut or variations....I mean the SAME IDENTICAL FILM! iTunes may have it for $4.99, Fandango Now for $5.00, Vudu may have it for $6.99 and Amazon Prime for $7.99...and they'll have 4 individual tiles UNLESS one or more of these services happen to sell at the same price (I see this more often with FN/Vudu now since their merger).

My point is, when you go to "buy" a title, you are diverted to the dealer who has the title for sale...you can in essence CHOOSE whom you want to buy this from...and your "record" as such resides with that service.

It seems to me that MA doesn't actually possess anything they can redeem either, otherwise, they'd SELL it as well, right? So when a customer "redeems" something, it's likely targeted to one of their participating merchants as well (iTunes, Vudu, AP, FN, etc...). From MA's standpoint, it doesn't matter because any MA title is going to port to all their merchants anyway......But from the CUSTOMERS perspective, they may have a preference, especially given that iTunes tends to upgrade HD purchases to 4K? Just like in BUYING the title, based on pricing, the CUSTOMER should be able to determine the redemption destination based on comfortability with the merchant and/or possible upgrade policy.
...Otherwise couldn't it be said, MA is discriminating against the customer by choosing where redemption is granted through?
Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #11
Banned

Mar 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
Now there is where I'm "confused" because I was under the impression that MA was NOT a "digital locker" but more of a "digital bridge" to other companies owned content? The way it was explained to me MA is NOT a storefront, NOR do they possess these titles...they are more of an aggregator of content, as opposed to a "distributor" of content.

Now, my logic as it is, I admit may be flawed here...but it occurs to me that if MA does not "sell" titles, they very well cannot "redeem" them either. And MA doesn't sell a thing! You don't "buy" from MA, they simply create a path to a dealer who DOES sell what your looking for.

Ever look at MA's "daily deals" section? An entire section of all current titles currently on sale (or more accurately below normal retail price, I'll explain, bear with me). If you'd ever peruse these daily as I have over several months (and daily when blu-ray,com was down a couple mos ago...) you'll notice the SAME movies with duplicate tiles, and I don't mean Dawn Of the Dead Theatrical vs. Dawn/Dead Uncut or variations....I mean the SAME IDENTICAL FILM! iTunes may have it for $4.99, Fandango Now for $5.00, Vudu may have it for $6.99 and Amazon Prime for $7.99...and they'll have 4 individual tiles UNLESS one or more of these services happen to sell at the same price (I see this more often with FN/Vudu now since their merger).

My point is, when you go to "buy" a title, you are diverted to the dealer who has the title for sale...you can in essence CHOOSE whom you want to buy this from...and your "record" as such resides with that service.

It seems to me that MA doesn't actually possess anything they can redeem either, otherwise, they'd SELL it as well, right? So when a customer "redeems" something, it's likely targeted to one of their participating merchants as well (iTunes, Vudu, AP, FN, etc...). From MA's standpoint, it doesn't matter because any MA title is going to port to all their merchants anyway......But from the CUSTOMERS perspective, they may have a preference, especially given that iTunes tends to upgrade HD purchases to 4K? Just like in BUYING the title, based on pricing, the CUSTOMER should be able to determine the redemption destination based on comfortability with the merchant and/or possible upgrade policy.
...Otherwise couldn't it be said, MA is discriminating against the customer by choosing where redemption is granted through?
Just how it goes, Universal removed the ability to redeem in itunes when they joined MA.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:

MA does have the titles on their servers as you can stream the MA titles directly from MA website/App. MA doesn't sell titles as that would anger the retailers and they would probably drop their participation with MA.

Codes having iTunes redemption's are a studio decision. Free upgrades to 4k are why some studios might not want iTunes redemption's (Disney dropped iTunes redeems starting with Onward, which is right around the time Disney allowed 4k in iTunes).
Old 06-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #13
Power Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoBagginz View Post
MA does have the titles on their servers as you can stream the MA titles directly from MA website/App. MA doesn't sell titles as that would anger the retailers and they would probably drop their participation with MA.

Codes having iTunes redemption's are a studio decision. Free upgrades to 4k are why some studios might not want iTunes redemption's (Disney dropped iTunes redeems starting with Onward, which is right around the time Disney allowed 4k in iTunes).
The fact that you can click on a title of a film on a particular app/website doesn't indicate its origin? That app/website is simply a portal that targets where the file is located close to you (edge computing).

If indeed MA had these titles "on their servers" and this didn't upset the retailers, then MA could "sell" those rights...offer sales like the OTHER retailers do....
The fact that they DON'T is a CLEAR indication they don't possess these at all, except possibly the Disney owned ones.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:44 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2013

Quote:
The fact that you can click on a title of a film on a particular app/website doesn't indicate its origin? That app/website is simply a portal that targets where the file is located close to you (edge computing).

If indeed MA had these titles "on their servers" and this didn't upset the retailers, then MA could "sell" those rights...offer sales like the OTHER retailers do....
The fact that they DON'T is a CLEAR indication they don't possess these at all, except possibly the Disney owned ones.
You are using too much faulty logic. You can redeem a code on MA, but not purchase from MA. You can also stream from MA. Thats just the way it is.
Thanks given by:
audit13 (06-27-2021)
Old 11-28-2022, 11:35 PM   #15
Power Member

Mar 2007

Do Lionsgate codes redeem VUDU, iTunes, GooglePlay etc? I was wondering for Everything Everywhere 4K code and how it will redeem.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:48 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve6insideandout View Post
Do Lionsgate codes redeem VUDU, iTunes, GooglePlay etc? I was wondering for Everything Everywhere 4K code and how it will redeem.
That title is an A24 title, released on disc by Lionsgate. It will NOT have an iTunes option.
Thanks given by:
Eve6insideandout (11-29-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 11:59 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve6insideandout View Post
As it says on the back of the case, it is only redeemable on a single digital service provider's platform. While redeeming that title it only offers to redeem it at VUDU Fandango. No other options.
Thanks given by:
Eve6insideandout (11-29-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes