Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Naked Lunch 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99
7 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Naked Lunch (Blu-ray)
£24.99
1 day ago
House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99
1 day ago
House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Vigilante (Blu-ray)
£15.00
16 hrs ago
Maniac (Blu-ray)
£15.00
16 hrs ago
Fall (Blu-ray)
£10.00
16 hrs ago
Beast (Blu-ray)
£9.99

The Matrix Resurrections 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.14
1 day ago
In the Mood for Love (Blu-ray)
£17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #41
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

First post updated:

Pro-B
Old 11-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #42
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Has anyone bought or seen a review of the recent UK release of The Three Colours Trilogy?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #43

Nov 2010
Germany

I also was wondering. No reviews on any sites. No reviews here. Has it actually been released yet?
Old 11-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #44
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Munson View Post
I also was wondering. No reviews on any sites. No reviews here. Has it actually been released yet?
Yes it has - sites like Amazon and HMV are showing it as In stock.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #45

Nov 2010
Germany

Thanks for clearing that up, nightcrawler. This makes the missing reviews even more suspicious for me... maybe AE messed the transfer up... hopefully the discs aren't that disappointing than those MK2 ones.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #46

Oct 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

I just got Artificial Eye's release of the three colours trilogy. I've taken a quick look at the three discs just to get a feel of the transfer, as I know some of you are wondering (and I have to admit, I was beginning to get worried). I want to point out that I haven't seen the films from beginning to finish. Who knows, maybe there's loads of DNR in the scenes I didn't watch

To begin with I haven't seen the Criterions or the French MK2 discs, so I'm just comparing it to AE's DVD release and other HD transfers I've seen from the early 90s. I think most of you can relax, these transfers are strong, depending on how high you set your expectations. All three films looked good to me, as I remember seeing them theatrically. The grain structure seems to be intact and I detected no visible DNR. Maybe some edge sharpening, but I'm not sure of that either. Colours looked good, maybe a little washed out in a scene or two but often as not I believe this was intended. Black levels were, on the whole, excellent. The grand piano in Bleu was as black as it should be. The blues beads hanging from the ceiling in Bleue were indeed radiant. The reds in Rouge were, indeed, very red. I was surprised by how good Blanc looked, I think it has really benefited from the upgrade. Even though much of it is set in an intentionally drab Poland, there was a radiance in some scenes that made a real impression on me.The bitrate moved between 22 and 33 depending on how much information there was in the image.

On the audio front, I was surprised by the nice front separation in the MA 5.1 mix, especially for Rouge. On the other hand, I felt the PCM stereo track to be a bit lacking in depth. But that might just be matter of taste, or perhaps I was expecting real angels to appear from the heavenly music. The tracks are quite OK, but I'm not sure there as good as the Criterion, judging from the review here.

The Criterion release could quite possibly be stronger, again judging from the review. But if you're stuck with Region B like me, I think these are a safe bet. I, at least, was not disappointed.

When I came out from my first screening of Rouge at the premiere I was so taken with it that I simply removed the poster from the frame on the wall at the cinema, and walked away with it.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #47
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Thanks for your impressions. Is it 1080p/24fps? I know one of the international releases (french I think) was only 1080i.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #48

Nov 2010
Germany

Cheers, Marienbad - that sounds good.

And I also got the poster for ROUGE - not the way you got it though
Old 11-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Leeds, England

Artificial Eye need to start releasing Andrei Tarkovsky on blu ray, carrying the extras over from the OOP dvd's.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #50

Oct 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Thanks for your impressions. Is it 1080p/24fps? I know one of the international releases (french I think) was only 1080i.
Ehhh... I'm not sure how to read my player. My Sony BD player tells me that it is 1080/24p. Could it be 1080i when it is 24p? Usually when it is is 1080i it says 1080/60...
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #51
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marienbad View Post
Ehhh... I'm not sure how to read my player. My Sony BD player tells me that it is 1080/24p. Could it be 1080i when it is 24p? Usually when it is is 1080i it says 1080/60...
That P at the end indicates it is 1080p/24fps. Did/do you have the dvds? Are you able to compare running times? If it is 24fps then the BD will be a few mins longer than the dvd version.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #52

Oct 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Are you able to compare running times? If it is 24fps then the BD will be a few mins longer than the dvd version.
Nice thinking... I just checked Rouge and the AE DVD is just over 1h35m while the AE blu-ray is 1h39m. So that's a four minute difference which I suppose means that the blu-ray is 24p. As the other two films in the box were similar in all other respects I think it is safe to assume the same goes for them too. Now you can safely go and get your HD-dose of Krzy.. Kiesz... Kiezs... well, you know who
Old 11-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #53
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Nice thinking... I just checked Rouge and the AE DVD is just over 1h35m while the AE blu-ray is 1h39m. So that's a four minute difference which I suppose means that the blu-ray is 24p. As the other two films in the box were similar in all other respects I think it is safe to assume the same goes for them too. Now you can safely go and get your HD-dose of Krzy.. Kiesz... Kiezs... well, you know who
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #54
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Marienbad - just one more question. Does the BD boxset include all the extras from the dvds?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #55

Oct 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Marienbad - just one more question. Does the BD boxset include all the extras from the dvds?
They are identical in every detail, except for the "Excerpts from the soundtrack"-section that is featured on the DVDs. Apart from that, everything is there.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #56
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Quote:
They are identical in every detail, except for the "Excerpts from the soundtrack"-section that is featured on the DVDs. Apart from that, everything is there.
Ok cheers. Will definitely pick this up at some point.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #57
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

THREE COLORS TRILOGY

I received the boxset yesterday and earlier today watched Blue and White, as well as some of the extras. Later tonight I will watch Red. So tomorrow night we will have a review for the entire trilogy.

Some comments:

The discs are Region-Free (no problematic PAL or 1080/50i content precedes the main menu). The audio options are LPCM 2.0 and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0.

I need to watch Red in its entirety as well before I leave other comments and have the review up

I hope this helps.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-04-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #58
Special Member

Oct 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
THREE COLORS TRILOGY

I received the boxset yesterday and earlier today watched Blue and White, as well as some of the extras. Later tonight I will watch Red. So tomorrow night we will have a review for the entire trilogy.

Some comments:

The discs are Region-Free (no problematic PAL or 1080/50i content precedes the main menu). The audio options are LPCM 2.0 and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0.

I need to watch Red in its entirety as well before I leave other comments and have the review up

I hope this helps.

Pro-B
Look forward to reading your review.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #59

Nov 2010
Germany

Same here. If possible maybe you could compare the US and the UK transfers.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #60
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Three Colours Trilogy Blu-ray REVIEW

A quick comment on the extras:

Even though some of the interviews appear to be identical to the ones found on the Criterion release, they are not. Some are slightly extended (with additional comments), others are edited. (I've marked them in the review).

I also tried to match at least a couple of shots from each film for you to compare, but I am not using time codes, so some extremely mild discrepancies might be present.

I hope this helps

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-06-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Tags
arthouse, artificial eye, foreign film, independent film