Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Shawscope Volume Two (Blu-ray)
£96.46

House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

The Street Fighter Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Naked Lunch 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99

House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00

The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection: Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
£47.94

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99

Fall (Blu-ray)
£10.00

The Revenant (Blu-ray)
£1.90

Two Orphan Vampires (Blu-ray)
£16.99

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (Blu-ray)
£6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 11-29-2022, 03:57 AM   #21

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibon View Post
I picked up the set cheap. I have DMS on dvd and the blu is massive improvement in detail. I kept the dvd for the extras.
Is Dead Mans Shoes SUPPOSED to be displayed in 1080/50i, as it is on this blu, or should it have been a progressive transfer? Was it filmed this way? I have the US dvd and WOULD get this, if it's correctly transferred, but if it's not, and there is a possibility that Optimum will lose the rights eventually and someone else will pick it up and release it correctly, I'll keep waiting, even if the quality of this blu is better than any of the dvds. No one so far has been able to answer the question of whether this film has been properly encoded or not, only speculating that it MAY have been filmed at 1080/50i originally. That's what I'm ultimately concerned about, if you (or anyone) can answer?
Old 11-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #22
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Rovinj, Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese1 View Post
Is Dead Mans Shoes SUPPOSED to be displayed in 1080/50i, as it is on this blu, or should it have been a progressive transfer? Was it filmed this way? I have the US dvd and WOULD get this, if it's correctly transferred, but if it's not, and there is a possibility that Optimum will lose the rights eventually and someone else will pick it up and release it correctly, I'll keep waiting, even if the quality of this blu is better than any of the dvds. No one so far has been able to answer the question of whether this film has been properly encoded or not, only speculating that it MAY have been filmed at 1080/50i originally. That's what I'm ultimately concerned about, if you (or anyone) can answer?
That's only due to the Blu-ray format technical specifications. Formally, Blu-ray does not support 1080p image at 25 FPS, but it does support 1080i at 50. So when you see 1080i/50 listed, that usually means that the progressively encoded 1080p/25 video is stored in the 1080i/50 container, where every second frame is duplicated, giving you the proper 1080p/25 output, while still adhering to the formal specifications.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #23

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutger Lundgren View Post
That's only due to the Blu-ray format technical specifications. Formally, Blu-ray does not support 1080p image at 25 FPS, but it does support 1080i at 50. So when you see 1080i/50 listed, that usually means that the progressively encoded 1080p/25 video is stored in the 1080i/50 container, where every second frame is duplicated, giving you the proper 1080p/25 output, while still adhering to the formal specifications.
So in the case of this specific film/disc, on a US tv and player(region-free) I should not see any interlacing artifacts because this is a progressive encode contained in a 1080/50i container?
Old 11-30-2022, 06:29 PM   #24
Expert Member

Aug 2019
Rovinj, Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese1 View Post
So in the case of this specific film/disc, on a US tv and player(region-free) I should not see any interlacing artifacts because this is a progressive encode contained in a 1080/50i container?
I do have this release, but I haven't watched it yet, so I can't actually confirm that. Still, unless it's filmed for TV, in which case a higher frame rate might make sense, you can be 99% certain that it's in fact 1080p/25 in a 1080i/50 container. Now, whether the modern US equipment should be able to handle that, I would say... Yes? But someone more knowledgeable should be able to give you a more definitive answer.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland