Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Naked Lunch 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99
5 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Naked Lunch (Blu-ray)
£24.99
1 day ago
House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99
1 day ago
House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Maniac (Blu-ray)
£15.00
14 hrs ago
The Hunger Games: Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£68.54
1 day ago
The Matrix Resurrections 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.14
1 day ago
Vigilante (Blu-ray)
£15.00
14 hrs ago
Beast (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Fall (Blu-ray)
£10.00
14 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 07-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #41
Blu-ray Insider

Jul 2009
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOnBlu View Post
Kevin,
Was curious about "For All Mankind". MoC version is virtually identical to the Criterion version with the exception that it does not have the 21 minute "On Camera" Interview. Any reason for this particular extra missing?
The honest answer is I don't know, I'll find out.

We will be adding a booklet in our release with a new interview with Brian Eno amongst other stuff.

Last edited by Eureka Entertainment; 07-30-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #42

Jul 2009

Hi Kevin. With the new release of Bad Boy Bubby, is it possible that you might licence any more Blue Underground blu-rays?

I'm not too concerned as BUs releases aren't region locked and are quite well priced. But I'd always support a British company first. Or maybe you didn't licence it from them/use their master and this is moot.

I look forward to your upcoming releases. Any hints and updates would be very welcome!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #43
Blu-ray Insider

Jul 2009
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Renoir View Post
Hi Kevin. With the new release of Bad Boy Bubby, is it possible that you might licence any more Blue Underground blu-rays?

I'm not too concerned as BUs releases aren't region locked and are quite well priced. But I'd always support a British company first. Or maybe you didn't licence it from them/use their master and this is moot.

I look forward to your upcoming releases. Any hints and updates would be very welcome!
Hi,

We didn't license it from Blue Underground, but I agree they do have some good releases. We licensed it from the same people that BU did (the producers of the film). The masters used for both our Blu-releases are similar, but I believe we have more audio options than they do.

On top of the Blu-ray in our release you also get a copy on DVD and then a 3rd disc which contains a digital copy for your iPod etc. Ours also has a booklet containing letters from the director and lead actress which we had to present to the BBFC to get it passed uncut.

I co-produced our edition and I'm personally extremely proud of it. It is (as far as i know) the only ever edition of a Blu-ray to include a Blu-ray, DVD and Digital copy, so we are breaking ground there. As the release is kind of future proof, if you don't have a BD player yet but are thinking of it this release is perfect for you.

Go for ours

Last edited by Eureka Entertainment; 08-01-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #44
Expert Member

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka Entertainment View Post
the only ever edition of a Blu-ray to include a Blu-ray, DVD and Digital copy, so we are breaking ground there.
I kinda wish you'd break new ground by giving people the option to buy just the Blu-ray at a few quid less SRP

Last edited by psicon; 08-03-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #45
Blu-ray Insider

Jul 2009
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicon View Post
I kinda wish you'd break new ground by giving people the option to buy just the Blu-ray at a few quid less SRP
I wish we could. The costs of producing Blu-ray discs prohibits the SRP we can set. Personally from a buying perspective I think £19.99 SRP is quite reasonable, the market standard seems to be around the £24.99 mark. The prices are starting to come down a little so in the future the SRPs will start coming down too.

Our release of THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH will be released at a lower SRP - £15.99
Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #46
Expert Member

Jun 2009

Quote:
I wish we could. The costs of producing Blu-ray discs prohibits the SRP we can set. Personally from a buying perspective I think £19.99 SRP is quite reasonable, the market standard seems to be around the £24.99 mark. The prices are starting to come down a little so in the future the SRPs will start coming down too.

Our release of THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH will be released at a lower SRP - £15.99
It is very reasonable. (and the pre-order price on amazon is unbeatable) I just wish I didn't have to buy a DVD and Digital copy I'll never use
Old 08-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

Quote:

Eureka, I too would like it if it could come down because with shipping and exchange I am guessing that Sunrise will be around $50+ US. I will get it but it is the most expensive single disc I have ever gotten.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Does Eueka have rights to any of Kiyoshi Kurosawas other works? In particular, Kairo?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #49
Blu-ray Insider

Jul 2009
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
Eureka, I too would like it if it could come down because with shipping and exchange I am guessing that Sunrise will be around $50+ US. I will get it but it is the most expensive single disc I have ever gotten.
I wish we could, but the production costs really are too high to be able to do it, I'm presuming (when amazon finally get round to making it live) it will sell on amazon for around £16 with postage that cant be much more than £20 that works out to just over $33.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Does Eueka have rights to any of Kiyoshi Kurosawas other works? In particular, Kairo?
Afraid not, PULSE [AKA Kairo] Lies with Optimum Releasing in the UK.

P.S - is that your cat in your avatar? if so it is identical to mine, I hope yours isn't as psychotic as mine is, he's not in the room but I'm still a little scared talking about him
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #50
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA

Kevin,
Any chance we might see Akira Kurosawa's Scandal and The Idiot anytime soon? Would love to see more Kurosawa on Blu. And with his 100th Birthday coming up in March, that would be perfect.
Thanks!

Last edited by AnimeOnBlu; 08-14-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #51
Blu-ray Insider

Jul 2009
London

Sunrise and Black Shield of Falworth both now available for pre-order on Amazon.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #52
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Afraid not, PULSE [AKA Kairo] Lies with Optimum Releasing in the UK.

P.S - is that your cat in your avatar? if so it is identical to mine, I hope yours isn't as psychotic as mine is, he's not in the room but I'm still a little scared talking about him

That is a shame you don't have the right to it.

Yes, that is my cat in my avatar. A she. We called her Bowie as she had two different colour eyes. If a white cat has multi colour eyes they generally break the being deaf rule. She was crazy too. She left us over a year ago. Treasure your time.

Quote:
Sunrise and Black Shield of Falworth both now available for pre-order on Amazon.
Mate, that is an awesome price for Black Shield of Falworth. Minus the VAT for international, it is under a tenner plus postage.

Last edited by Mobe1969; 08-11-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #53
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Sunrise is now available for pre-order at Amazon.co.uk and the price has dropped from £24.99 to £17.59. Sans VAT it is now £18.38 shipped to me!

Now to wait...

P.S. Does anyone have any info on a U.S. BD release? Just curious.

P.P.S. Will we get lossless audio for the stereo and mono tracks?

Last edited by McCrutchy; 08-13-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #54

Jan 2009
Default Fritz Lang's Re-discovered "Metropolis" on Blu-ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOnBlu View Post
I also would like to mention (since it is so small on the OP) that MoC said Fritz Lang's Metropolis will eventually be released on Blu-ray by them. They are just waiting for certain elements to be completed. I saw this on MoCs section of the Criterion Forum and thought I would pass that on.
In July 2008, the German weekly newspaper Die Zeit brought out a lengthy article (in its accompanying magazine) on the (re) discovery of what had been believed to be lost parts of Fritz Lang's Metropolis Here is an excerpt:
"Last Tuesday Paula Félix-Didier travelled on a secret mission to Berlin in order to meet with three film experts and editors from ZEITmagazin. The museum director from Buenos Aires had something special in her luggage: a copy of a long version of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis, including scenes believed lost for almost 80 years. After examining the film the three experts are certain: The find from Buenos Aires is a real treasure, a worldwide sensation. Metropolis, the most important silent film in German history, can from this day on be considered to have been rediscovered.

Fritz Lang presented the original version of Metropolis in Berlin in January 1927. The film is set in the futuristic city of Metropolis, ruled by Joh Fredersen, whose workers live underground. His son falls in love with a young woman from the worker’s underworld – the conflict takes its course. At the time it was the most expensive German film ever made. It was intended to be a major offensive against Hollywood. However the film flopped with critics and audiences alike. Representatives of the American firm Paramount considerably shortened and re-edited the film. They oversimplified the plot, even cutting key scenes. The original version could only be seen in Berlin until May 1927 – from then on it was considered to have been lost forever. Those recently viewing a restored version of the film first read the following insert: “More than a quarter of the film is believed to be lost forever.”

ZEITmagazin has now reconstructed the story of how the film nevertheless managed to survive. Adolfo Z. Wilson, a man from Buenos Aires and head of the Terra film distribution company, arranged for a copy of the long version of “Metropolis” to be sent to Argentina in 1928 to show it in cinemas there. Shortly afterwards a film critic called Manuel Peña Rodríguez came into possession of the reels and added them to his private collection. In the 1960s Peña Rodríguez sold the film reels to Argentina’s National Art Fund – clearly nobody had yet realised the value of the reels. A copy of these reels passed into the collection of the Museo del Cine (Cinema Museum) in Buenos Aires in 1992, the curatorship of which was taken over by Paula Félix-Didier in January this year. Her ex-husband, director of the film department of the Museum of Latin American Art, first entertained the decisive suspicion: He had heard from the manager of a cinema club, who years before had been surprised by how long a screening of this film had taken. Together, Paula Félix-Didier and her ex-husband took a look at the film in her archive – and discovered the missing scenes.

Paula Félix-Didier remembered having dinner with the German journalist Karen Naundorf and confided the secret to her. Félix-Didier wanted the news to be announced in Germany where Fritz Lang had worked – and she hoped that it would attract a greater level of attention in Germany than in Argentina. The author Karen Naundorf has worked for DIE ZEIT for five years - and let the editorial office of ZEITmagazin in on her knowledge.

Among the footage that has now been discovered, according to the unanimous opinion of the three experts that ZEITmagazin asked to appraise the pictures, there are several scenes which are essential in order to understand the film: The role played by the actor Fritz Rasp in the film for instance, can finally be understood. Other scenes, such as for instance the saving of the children from the worker’s underworld, are considerably more dramatic. In brief: “Metropolis, Fritz Lang’s most famous film, can be seen through new eyes.”, as stated by Rainer Rother, Director of the Deutsche Kinemathek Museum and head of the series of retrospectives at the Berlinale."

I have been waiting for an announcement that this might finally become available, either on DVD, or even more wonderful - on Blu-ray .... could it be my wish is about to come true??
Old 08-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #55

Aug 2009
Sydney, Australia
Default Can I ask Eureka re: Farnsworth...

Where can I view a trailer online, or see some screen caps of previous editions, to help decide? I've only just heard about this movie; it looks like a nice UK colour film of the period, but need more evidence to get excited.

Ben
Old 08-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #56

Aug 2009
Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Sunrise.

SOOOOOO preordered.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #57
Special Member

Aug 2009

I also would really like Metroplois on Blu, and am assuming that the MoC release will have the same re-instated footage as the upcoming Kino version. Eureka are one of the few companies I trust to do things right.
But onto another matter, is this perhaps a good opportunity to dig out and iusse the Giorgio Moroder version on the same disc? I know it gets much malligned, but it also has it's fans, and is a valid alternate version of the film. Plently of other classic released out there, such as Hexen, Faust and the upcoming release of Sunrise have alternate versions, so why is Metropolis' being ignored? Even if only in SD, it really should be included on the disc!

Also, I've seen an announcement of the complete Lone Wolf & Cub set (uncut at last) due for release on DVD later this year. Any chance of a BD set?

Thanks.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id...-november.html

Last edited by Eidolon; 08-29-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #58
Blu-ray Insider

Jul 2009
London

Sorry for the late replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
P.P.S. Will we get lossless audio for the stereo and mono tracks?
The Audio on SUNRISE is Dolby True HD on both versions

Btw - Love your Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduman View Post
I have been waiting for an announcement that this might finally become available, either on DVD, or even more wonderful - on Blu-ray .... could it be my wish is about to come true??
Very possibly the restoration is being carried out as we speak, and should be finished late this year/early 2010 so watch this space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygberbrown View Post
Where can I view a trailer online, or see some screen caps of previous editions, to help decide? I've only just heard about this movie; it looks like a nice UK colour film of the period, but need more evidence to get excited.

Ben
Hi Ben,

The Blu-ray is from a brand new telecine, I can't take screen caps from Blu-ray I'm afraid, but will get our authoring house to take some and I'll post them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Also, I've seen an announcement of the complete Lone Wolf & Cub set (uncut at last) due for release on DVD later this year. Any chance of a BD set?
Unfortunately not at this very second, it has not been mastered in HD by the company who own the rights (Toho), we're also restricted by our licence as to when we can release BD of this title, we have to wait until it is released in Japan before we can in the UK, unfortunately at present there is no plan for a release of these in Japan. As soon as we can though, I'm sure we will.

The DVD's look fantastic though! so in the man time be sure to check them out

Last edited by Eureka Entertainment; 08-29-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #59
Palisades Tartan

Nov 2008
Buckinghamshire, U.K.

Just want to back up Kevin there on the Japanese licensor restriction on BD releases outside of Japan - this is practically standard on Japanese titles. I know for a fact that 4Digital Asia are under the same restrictions for the live-action Death Note and 20th Century Boys features, and Manga Ents have also faced similar issues with specific titles.

Honestly, though, who can blame them? They want to see domestic (to them) titles on BD at home first - I think most territories would expect no less from their local film industry. If a new Shane Meadows or Ken Loach flick came out on home video in the US first, I'd not be a happy customer.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #60
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
The Audio on SUNRISE is Dolby True HD on both versions

Btw - Love your Avatar
AWESOME! I was worried because apparently your For All Mankind disc is only DD 5.1?

I'm glad you like the avatar...especially since it's probably copyright infringement.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland