Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.07
3 hrs ago
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 day ago
Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.35

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Portuguese

Old 02-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #1

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA
Default Anybody own "1492: Conquest of Paradise" from Spain?

Although 1492 has not been released in the US, I see there is a version in Spain with Portuguese subtitles, and it is available on Amazon Spain. I'm tempted to buy it, but I don't know if it is region B locked. Does anybody own this movie?

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/1492-...Blu-ray/78546/

http://www.amazon.es/1492-Conquista-...I25NPI59D2QS18
Old 05-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #2

Mar 2011
Uruguay

Seems to be region B locked. I played the BD in a Blu ray player region A (Sony) and you can see the menu, you can set up the language etc., but the movie does not start. This does not occur in a Blu ray player regiron B (Phillips). I am sorry, it is a very good film.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:04 AM   #3

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariello2001 View Post
Seems to be region B locked. I played the BD in a Blu ray player region A (Sony) and you can see the menu, you can set up the language etc., but the movie does not start. This does not occur in a Blu ray player regiron B (Phillips). I am sorry, it is a very good film.
Thanks for responding!

I've spoken to somebody else who owns the film, and they said that the disc will play in a Region A player, but it has to be a player than can handle a PAL/50i disc.

I know from experience that my Sony BDP-S590 will not play a 50i disc. An Oppo should play it though.

BTW, from what I've seen many Blu-ray players will give you a specific error message when a disc is the wrong region.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #4

Mar 2013
Portugal

Is the film any good ?
Old 05-31-2014, 03:52 AM   #5

Mar 2011
Uruguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post
Thanks for responding!

I've spoken to somebody else who owns the film, and they said that the disc will play in a Region A player, but it has to be a player than can handle a PAL/50i disc.

I know from experience that my Sony BDP-S590 will not play a 50i disc. An Oppo should play it though.

BTW, from what I've seen many Blu-ray players will give you a specific error message when a disc is the wrong region.
I presumed that some of that was happening because when the BD is locked to zone A, a warning notice is displayed.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:55 AM   #6

Mar 2011
Uruguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Phelps View Post
Is the film any good ?
It is a very good film. This Blu ray is 1080 But anyway, the image quality is very good.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #7

Mar 2013
Portugal
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariello2001 View Post
It is a very good film. This Blu ray is 1080 But anyway, the image quality is very good.

thanks for the input. cheers
Old 05-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #8

Jun 2011
Indianapolis, USA

I did end up buying "1492" from Amazon Spain. The movie is good if you like historical dramas, but it's not necessarily the most entertaining film.

But yes, it does work in a Region A player. However, there is some scrolling text in the beginning and end of the movie, and it is in Spanish instead of English. I would imagine that it is translated in the English subtitles, but I can't say for sure since we had Portuguese subtitles running for my mother-in-law. There are some thick accents in the movie though, so English subtitles are probably recommended even for native English speakers.

The video quality was okay, but on certain dark scenes there was significant static/noise combined with horizontal banding. I haven't tested it on another TV yet, so I can't say for sure that it was a problem with the disc and/or transfer. I viewed it on a Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector and my player is the Oppo BDP-93. It's running through an Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR, and I also have a DarbeeVision processor.

I've seen similar banding on another movie recently, "Crash", on certain noisy dark scenes, but that is a movie that has notoriously bad image quality, so I didn't think too much about it. Plus, "Crash" was the Brazilian market version, which is kind of an unknown, and is even cropped to 16:9 from the original 2.39:1, so I figured the transfer was suspect in the first place. Other than these two movies, I've never had the issue.

I need to try those two movies in my upstairs TV to see if the issues are still present.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #9

Jun 2017
Spain

The image quality is very good , happy with it
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Portuguese