Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Columbia Classics Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Black Adam (iTunes)
$12.99

Buddy Comedy Pack (iTunes)
$19.99

Waterworld (iTunes)
$4.99

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (iTunes)
$4.99

Double Indemnity (iTunes)
$4.99

Must-Watch Comedy 5-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Must-Watch Classics 5-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Must-Watch Sci-Fi 5-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

The Finest Hours (iTunes)
$4.99

Must-Watch Movies Of Our Time 5-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Patriot Games (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes

View Poll Results: Are you interested in forming/joining a Family Group?
US 43 95.56%
Australia 4 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #1

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia
Default Family Sharing clubs

Hey potential homies,

We have US accounts and have now filled all member spots for our U.S. Family group.
I also have an Australian Family group with my mate Tony and his daughter and are looking to fill the 3 spots available.

Official description:

https://www.apple.com/au/family-sharing/

The ins and outs, and how to:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201060

Purpose:

1. Share pooled purchases.
2. Music is permanent if downloaded, not DRM locked.
3. Movies are the prime rental item, as in you borrow until member leaves.
4. Overlapping items are fine as existing and permanent.
5. Reduce ongoing duplicate purchases by as much as 5 times.
6. Co-ordinate via shared calendar intended purchases, wish list and specials.
7. Commit to at least 1 purchase a month, as in your treat or shout for the group.
8. What you bring to the table gives you more bye rights, as in those with smaller collections should shout or treat more to balance the put in.
9. Members intend to remain for a minimum of 12 months.
10. Post your movie (TV, iTunes Music) lists via iCloud.com as iCloud is required to join, and this gives potential members a basis for joining.

My Collection:

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/AwBUC...S_Movies_Yumbo - 69 currently in HD on Sheet 4.
The Australian Store has unbeatable prices for movies from Warner, Universal, Touchtone and Paramount which rarely go on sale in the US.
We can access an average of 20% off iTunes card discounts, which regularly go on sale at 25%-50% off, where the average movie purchase price is US$7.50.

Minimum requirements:

1. iCloud account
2. iOS 8 device
3. OS X Yosemite or Windows 7, and iTunes 12 for file transfers/home sharing
4. Debit card for organiser (kept to a low $5 balance for authorisations only)
5. iTunes account

Recommendations:

1. Post and modify shared iCloud calendar with wish list items, specials, and intended purchases.
2. iMessage group messages would be an easy communication medium for iOS device and OS X users.
3. While music lists would be thorough, they would be too diverse and large, so would be just a happy bonus (with iTunes Match to merge into single library).
4. Focus on purchasing UV code titles via iTunes.

Benefits examples:

Wife wants a movie you don't want to pay for or even rent, and you're waiting for it to go on special.
I check my group purchases, and there it is.
Happy wife, not broke husband.

You already have a movie in SD and don't want to pay $9.99 for it on special just to upgrade to HD (quite a few of us in this boat thanks to Warner and Sony).

You're spending an average of $200 a month on iTunes instead of $50, and your friends are doing the same and buying the same items; now you can buy at least 3 times more for $50 when you plan and co-ordinate purchases.

You're a hopeless completist and don't want to deal with Ultraviolet, and can't wait for those titles to hit $9.99 or be part of a bundle, but your group mates already have it or intend to pick it up.

What it looks like on your device:

==========================

Please let me know if you would like to join my Australian group.
And, those who join my groups also get an Apple Store discount bonus.

Last edited by Yumbo; 09-16-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Power Member

Apr 2013
Detroit

Hey ....
Going to get back to working on my iTunes list here on Blu-ray.com, it would be nice to have it and add to it as I buy more and more... Also going to get the list exported too, thru iTunes. (Can we get those instructions copied over to this thread too?)
Will be in touch!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia
Default How to export your iTunes movie list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamm View Post
Hey ....
Going to get back to working on my iTunes list here on Blu-ray.com, it would be nice to have it and add to it as I buy more and more... Also going to get the list exported too, thru iTunes. (Can we get those instructions copied over to this thread too?)
Will be in touch!
AZ's method worked like a charm:

1. Create a Smart playlist, media kind is MOVIE.
2. Sort by name
3. Choose to show Size in View Options (to indicate HD comparison); copy selection
4. Paste into Numbers spreadsheet at https://www.icloud.com/#numbers
5. Post or share link

Last edited by Yumbo; 02-18-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

I'll be working on posting my list(s) and would be interested in being an organizer for a US based group once I have a better understanding of the ins & outs and the best way to setup a group.

AZBrowncoat iTunes Movies & Television - http://bit.ly/AZB-iTunes-movies
*copied and pasted from my Google Docs to Numbers - all movies and TV series are not on a single sheet but it is much tidier.

Yumbo - when I click on the link you posted to your iCloud list it isn't loading for me BTW.

Last edited by AZBrowncoat; 10-13-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #5

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBrowncoat View Post
I'll be working on posting my list(s) and would be interested in being an organizer for a US based group once I have a better understanding of the ins & outs and the best way to setup a group.

AZBrowncoat iTunes Movies & Television - http://bit.ly/AZB-iTunes-movies
*will definitely have to work on cleaning this up - this is just pretty much a raw dump with movies on Sheet 1 and tv on sheet 2.

Yumbo - when I click on the link you posted to your iCloud list it isn't loading for me BTW.
I've fixed my link and added TV Shows in Sheet 2.
Numbers for iCloud is amazing. Copy and paste...
My aunt's daughter is also working on becoming organiser, and if so will have 2 spots available.

AZ - you may want to give your spreadsheet document a name, as it is currently titled blank.

Would prefer to get up and running before tomorrow when the iTunes specials refresh, and the crazy Digital Copy code price war/gouging takes place anew.

Last edited by Yumbo; 10-12-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Looking over the Apple link (Ins, Outs and How-To) and have a question about how this would work for the organizer vs members.

This is so new that maybe no one has figured out the answer yet but here goes...

Quote:
To get started, one adult in your household—the family organizer—sets up Family Sharing, invites up to five additional family members, and agrees to pay for any iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases they initiate while part of the family group.
Any idea how this would affect personal purchases on an account by account basis or would, as an 'Organizer' does that mean that all purchases would have to be approved and confirmed by me and I would have to collect payment from the member making the purchase?

As far a code redemptions go I think this answered it -

Quote:
Content downloaded from family members or acquired via redemption codes is not subject to Ask to Buy.

Last edited by AZBrowncoat; 10-13-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #7

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
Looking over the Apple link (Ins, Outs and How-To) and have a question about how this would work for the organizer vs members.

This is so new that maybe no one has figured out the answer yet but here goes...

Any idea how this would affect personal purchases on an account by account basis or would, as an 'Organizer' does that mean that all purchases would have to be approved and confirmed by me and I would have to collect payment from the member making the purchase?

As far a code redemptions go I think this answered it -
Adults (above 18) are not subject to ask to buy, and is optional for those above 13.
Payment is via Store credit per member, and if insufficient will attempt to charge against debit card held by Organizer, hence the recommendation to keep to $5 or below.
Any inadvertent purchases can be reconciled via Paypal, as it will be detailed in receipts.
Organizer WILL receive an email receipt for ALL purchases by members in ADDITION to member themselves.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo View Post
Adults (above 18) are not subject to ask to buy, and is optional for those above 13.
Payment is via Store credit per member, and if insufficient will attempt to charge against debit card held by Organizer, hence the recommendation to keep to $5 or below.
Any inadvertent purchases can be reconciled via Paypal, as it will be detailed in receipts.
Organizer WILL receive an email receipt for ALL purchases by members in ADDITION to member themselves.
So the only "snag" is when a member has insufficient credit to make the purchase. Is it possible to turn on "Ask to Buy" even for adult members or is this only configurable for minors?

Last edited by AZBrowncoat; 10-13-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:07 AM   #9

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
So the only "snag" is when a member has insufficient credit to make the purchase. Is it possible to turn on "Ask to Buy" even for adult members or is this only configurable for minors?
Minors only.
It's the honour system via mature members, and adult responsibility.
Members probably ask to buy credit from you, via discounted cards or iTunes gifts.
So, much like how the sell and trade forums go, pretty smooth.
Haven't invited those from those forums who don't frequent this side of things.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Quote:
Minors only.
It's the honour system via mature members, and adult responsibility.
Members probably ask to buy credit from you, via discounted cards or iTunes gifts.
So, much like how the sell and trade forums go, pretty smooth.
Haven't invited those from those forums who don't frequent this side of things.
It's all starting to come together in my head
Old 10-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #11

Sep 2013

damn, i'd love to join this. i just don't have the library size for it
as i just started using digital copies so idk if i can benefit anyone else in the group.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014

I'm not sure I understand this yet from the initial glance through, but what can Apple do to destroy this setup?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #13

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
I'm not sure I understand this yet from the initial glance through, but what can Apple do to destroy this setup?
Rules are:

1. 2 changes per year, so if you whimsically try 2 groups in 2 days, you wait 363 days to join your 3rd one.
2. 15 members for lifetime of group, which is tied to first rule.
3. DRM protected except music, which is fair.
Thanks given by:
jbloggs (10-20-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #14

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanco12 View Post
damn, i'd love to join this. i just don't have the library size for it
as i just started using digital copies so idk if i can benefit anyone else in the group.
That's the beauty of it, you get a chance to grow with others.
Think of it as:

Free Trade Association
Mutual Benefits Society

Those who start with less, get to put in more, as they aren't paying for stuff that's already there.
The bigger members get to help out at the beginning, and reap the benefits of those starting out putting in more.

I already have all the latest titles, and am after catalogue titles....why should you pay for the latest, and I pay for catalogue which you may have.

The losers are those who keep selling to each other for profit.

I simply look at the All Trading thread and say, crazy.
The Family Sharing Club does away with all of that.

Refer to 1st post for guidance.
And doesn't mean you have to all join 1 group, which is maximum 6 anyway.

Half the time we're paying for collections we never even watch!
So this is a great option to try free rentals on a long term lease.

Last edited by Yumbo; 10-13-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Just to further clarify - if a 'member' makes a purchase it will attempt to charge their credit balance first, and if there is insufficient credit it will attempt to charge the organizers debit/credit card correct (not the organizers credit balance?) or is that an unknown until someone actually tries?

Just asking because I have $85 in credit on my account - setting up a debit or credit card with a low $5 balance is fairly easy with a pre-paid debit card or credit card but I tend to buy iTunes gift cards when they go on sale and add them to my account to make purchases.

I don't want to arbitrarily exclude members with low-trade, feedback or forum history from joining but obviously it is best to take prudent precautions...

Yumbo is probably sorry he started this discussion, all the questions he is getting asked
Old 10-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #16

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
Just to further clarify - if a 'member' makes a purchase it will attempt to charge their credit balance first, and if there is insufficient credit it will attempt to charge the organizers debit/credit card correct (not the organizers credit balance?) or is that an unknown until someone actually tries?

Just asking because I have $85 in credit on my account - setting up a debit or credit card with a low $5 balance is fairly easy with a pre-paid debit card or credit card but I tend to buy iTunes gift cards when they go on sale and add them to my account to make purchases.

I don't want to arbitrarily exclude members with low-trade, feedback or forum history from joining but obviously it is best to take prudent precautions...

Yumbo is probably sorry he started this discussion, all the questions he is getting asked
Credit balances, again are private, as it it linked to the iCloud account, of which data is also private.
The only public balance is the debit card by the organizer, which is not shown in any case.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Quote:
Credit balances, again are private, as it it linked to the iCloud account, of which data is also private.
The only public balance is the debit card by the organizer, which is not shown in any case.
Awesome! ...thanks
Old 10-14-2014, 04:43 AM   #18

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
Awesome! ...thanks
And we have liftoff!
Slamm?
Carkey?
Anyone else?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #19
Power Member

Oct 2013

This sounds pretty cool. I'd be interested in joining, if others are okay with that. iCloud Drive isn't something I've signed up for yet, so it won't allow me to post my list via Numbers... But I've emailed it to Yumbo. Hope that's okay.

I think as far as purchases go... If someone runs out of credits, and wants to make a purchase with their own credit card/paypal/etc, then that person can leave the group temporarily, make their purchases, and then request to be added back. I go through credits quickly, so I frequently end up using my CC to pay for purchases, so I hope that won't be an issue.

Last edited by ritmomundo; 10-14-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #20
Power Member

Apr 2013
Detroit

Quote:

Half the time we're paying for collections we never even watch!

Amen to that brother!
I'm that person... See a deal and buy it thinking one day I may watch it...lol

Regarding multiple groups....
So let's say I'm in a group that has a,b,c and missing x,y,z...
So if I join a different group that has x,y,z... Does everyone reap the benefits?

Last edited by Slamm; 10-14-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes