Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Columbia Classics Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Black Adam (iTunes)
$12.99

Buddy Comedy Pack (iTunes)
$19.99

Waterworld (iTunes)
$4.99

Double Indemnity (iTunes)
$4.99

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (iTunes)
$4.99

Must-Watch Comedy 5-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Must-Watch Classics 5-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Must-Watch Sci-Fi 5-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Must-Watch Movies Of Our Time 5-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

The Finest Hours (iTunes)
$4.99

Patriot Games (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes

View Poll Results: Are you interested in forming/joining a Family Group?
US 43 95.56%
Australia 4 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK

I don't think you can link across countries, so with an Irish account you'd only be able to link to other Irish accounts. I imagine you'd be able to download for any of the linked Family accounts, though.

Family linking seems to have been introduced to rectify previous functionality that Apple broke. It used to be the case that you could download past purchases from any account, but then Apple forced computer-AppleID association - which obviously scuppered desktops shared by multiple family members who all use iTunes separately. (It also made life harder for those of us with multiple Apple IDs across different countries, but Apple / the studios were probably happy that that aspect was broken.) Family sharing reinstates some of the original functionality.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #42

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister_x View Post
I don't think you can link across countries, so with an Irish account you'd only be able to link to other Irish accounts. I imagine you'd be able to download for any of the linked Family accounts, though.

Family linking seems to have been introduced to rectify previous functionality that Apple broke. It used to be the case that you could download past purchases from any account, but then Apple forced computer-AppleID association - which obviously scuppered desktops shared by multiple family members who all use iTunes separately. (It also made life harder for those of us with multiple Apple IDs across different countries, but Apple / the studios were probably happy that that aspect was broken.) Family sharing reinstates some of the original functionality.
So If I linked my US account with another US account via FS. I'll be able to download past purchases on both the Family Sharing accounts and my original Irish account and my Credit Balance on my US will be safe?

If the above is correct, I'll be very interested in joining a group. Does anyone know if there's any places left
Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Your US account balance would be safe as long as you didn't purchase anything with the US account ID.

As far as any slots available I'm not aware of any other US groups that have been formed besides my own, at least no one has posted any other groups.
Thanks given by:
Brian017 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian017 View Post
So If I linked my US account with another US account via FS. I'll be able to download past purchases on both the Family Sharing accounts and my original Irish account and my Credit Balance on my US will be safe?
Not from the same computer - currently, computers must be tied to a single Apple ID, so you can't download past (movie or TV*) purchases from two different accounts. Family Sharing, as far as I understand it, should rectify that by showing Family purchases within your account (so download them as if they were yours). That would allow for downloading past purchases from any of the linked Family Sharing accounts through your (Family member) account. But if you download past purchases through your US account, that would lock out past purchases from your Irish account (and vice versa) for 90 days or so - until you can associate with a different Apple ID.

As AZBrowncoat says, your US credit is safe - only you have access to that. However if you go beyond that, the Family Sharing 'Organiser' foots the bill for everyone. So you wouldn't want to go past it unless you want to start some Family fights!

*I believe it's only movie and TV purchases that are locked out by Apple ID association; redownloading apps from across accounts has never been an issue for me.
Thanks given by:
Brian017 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #45
Expert Member

Jan 2011
SLC, Utah
USA

At this point I am not like looking to join up a family share account on here but do have some questions and it seems you all seem to have this figured out so hopefully you guys might be able to help me out.

Right now I have my iTunes account which I have been allowing my sister and her husband and my parents use. I have made the majority of purchases but they have all added to it here and there. At this point purchases are tied to my card but we never use it, we all just pick up itunes credit whenever its on sale and add it into the account and each of us just keeps a running balance of what we add and spend as it all goes into one total. And on my account we are allowed up to 10 devices (5 of which can me computers) and the apple TV's don't seem to apply to this limit.

And this is what we have been doing for years now, so what I have been trying to figure out is how the new Family Share differentiates from this. Here are some of my questions:

With the family share are the same device limitations in play? Meaning if you setup a family share between 6 people can the 6 of you only use a limit of 10 devices?

If i were to setup a Family Share Plan on my account, could I set it up so that each of my 4 siblings, my self, and my parents could all be in a Family Share Plan? And all have access to my purchases and all of theirs?

And as most of my siblings have a bunch of kids also using their accounts would everyone using their account to sign in have access to everything? And again in relation to device limit is that limit based on sign in ID's versus the Family Share Plan?

And lastly if anyone was to leave the plan I assume they only lose access to what was on the other accounts but everything on their account stays intact for them, but those still in the plan lose access to it. Is this correct?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

I'll take a stab at a couple of these - anyone can correct me if I'm mistaken on any points.

Quote:
If i were to setup a Family Share Plan on my account, could I set it up so that each of my 4 siblings, my self, and my parents could all be in a Family Share Plan? And all have access to my purchases and all of theirs?
Yes, with each member having their own iTunes balance. Your card would only be hit if a member did not have enough credit to cover their purchase(s) and any personal purchases made by a 'family' member belongs to that member and is no longer available if that family member leaves. I actually have a hybrid of the two as myself, my wife and my son all use my ID already and I belong to a club organized here.

Quote:
And lastly if anyone was to leave the plan I assume they only lose access to what was on the other accounts but everything on their account stays intact for them, but those still in the plan lose access to it. Is this correct?
I believe that this is correct...
Thanks given by:
bigbadwolfe911 (10-26-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #47

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwolfe911 View Post
At this point I am not like looking to join up a family share account on here but do have some questions and it seems you all seem to have this figured out so hopefully you guys might be able to help me out.

Right now I have my iTunes account which I have been allowing my sister and her husband and my parents use. I have made the majority of purchases but they have all added to it here and there. At this point purchases are tied to my card but we never use it, we all just pick up itunes credit whenever its on sale and add it into the account and each of us just keeps a running balance of what we add and spend as it all goes into one total. And on my account we are allowed up to 10 devices (5 of which can me computers) and the apple TV's don't seem to apply to this limit.

And this is what we have been doing for years now, so what I have been trying to figure out is how the new Family Share differentiates from this. Here are some of my questions:

With the family share are the same device limitations in play? Meaning if you setup a family share between 6 people can the 6 of you only use a limit of 10 devices?

And as most of my siblings have a bunch of kids also using their accounts would everyone using their account to sign in have access to everything? And again in relation to device limit is that limit based on sign in ID's versus the Family Share Plan?

All correct.
6 members = 60 devices.
One of the benefits is that the younger ones can build their library under their ID and then leave and start their own family.
Thanks given by:
bigbadwolfe911 (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #48
Expert Member

Jan 2011
SLC, Utah

Awesome thank you both!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #49

Nov 2014

I'm looking to start/add people to my family group as well. I have every Pixar movie (except Ratatouille), a bunch of Kubrick and some Hitchcock, Cornetto trilogy and various other movies and some TV shows.

I temporarily have my cousin and sister in my group who don't have much to offer but I'll kick them off if people with more content would like to join.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 AM   #50

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister_x View Post
Not from the same computer - currently, computers must be tied to a single Apple ID, so you can't download past (movie or TV*) purchases from two different accounts. Family Sharing, as far as I understand it, should rectify that by showing Family purchases within your account (so download them as if they were yours). That would allow for downloading past purchases from any of the linked Family Sharing accounts through your (Family member) account. But if you download past purchases through your US account, that would lock out past purchases from your Irish account (and vice versa) for 90 days or so - until you can associate with a different Apple ID.

As AZBrowncoat says, your US credit is safe - only you have access to that. However if you go beyond that, the Family Sharing 'Organiser' foots the bill for everyone. So you wouldn't want to go past it unless you want to start some Family fights!

*I believe it's only movie and TV purchases that are locked out by Apple ID association; redownloading apps from across accounts has never been an issue for me.
Not anymore, I am able to download past purchases from my both canadian and us accounts on the same computer. It looks like apple has removed the 90 days restriction.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #51

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Who wants to join my Australian group and have a Merry Christmas of 100 movies and more to share?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #52

Dec 2008

Family Sharing Question:

I love the icloud streaming of itunes purchases. Whether watching from itunes on a computer, on iphone, or apple tv, I rarely actually download the movie. Saves immensely on storage.

Does Family Sharing allow for this? From my understanding, the only way to access the movies shared to you through Family Sharing is to go that individual's purchases and then actually download the movie. Is this correct?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #53

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post
Family Sharing Question:

I love the icloud streaming of itunes purchases. Whether watching from itunes on a computer, on iphone, or apple tv, I rarely actually download the movie. Saves immensely on storage.

Does Family Sharing allow for this? From my understanding, the only way to access the movies shared to you through Family Sharing is to go that individual's purchases and then actually download the movie. Is this correct?
I'm not sure if it's possible on iOS, but on Apple TV I believe you can see others' purchases. My wife shows up on mine underneath "Purchased" I believe, but she doesn't have any purchases so I can't say for sure if you can stream those or not.
Thanks given by:
bigpatky (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #54

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post
Family Sharing Question:

On an iOS device and in iTunes you'll have to download it but on Apple TV you can stream all you want.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #55

Sep 2012
Braavos

So this family sharing group is kind of like Ultraviolet sharing with the difference being FS you get to keep your purchases but UV everything goes and stays with the group?

I wouldnt want to download everyone in the groups movies in order to watch so would it be easier to buy an AppleTV? If so, how exactly do movies show up on the device? Will the screen just populate or would i have to go to each members purchased list?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #56

Jul 2012
by the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasK View Post
Id probably be interested in the US group. I just need to read up on everything first.

Ive exported my collection here:https://www.icloud.com/numbers/AwBWC...nnabhd#iTunes_
how did you export the names, cut and paste each one or could you click a button and voila? thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 04:26 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpink View Post
how did you export the names, cut and paste each one or could you click a button and voila? thanks
...see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo View Post
AZ's method worked like a charm:

1. Create a Smart playlist, media kind is MOVIE.
2. Sort by name
3. Choose to show Size in View Options (to indicate HD comparison)
4. Paste into Numbers spreadsheet at https://www.icloud.com/#numbers
5. Post or share link
Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #58
Power Member

Jan 2015
the island

I'd be interested in joining a Family Plan...how does it work?

Also how do i create a list of all my movies/shows that are in the cloud/purchases, I haven't downloaded all of them to my computer (due to space)
Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #59

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo View Post
AZ's method worked like a charm:

1. Create a Smart playlist, media kind is MOVIE.
2. Sort by name
3. Choose to show Size in View Options (to indicate HD comparison)
4. Paste into Numbers spreadsheet at https://www.icloud.com/#numbers
5. Post or share link
Isn't this missing a 3.5 where you copy something like a screenshot? Or export something to be pasted?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #60

Dec 2013
Canberra, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsLikeBrian View Post
Isn't this missing a 3.5 where you copy something like a screenshot? Or export something to be pasted?
Copy selection?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes