Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
1 day ago
House of Psychotic Women Rarities Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.56

The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.22

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.85
8 hrs ago
Bones and All (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.95
1 day ago
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Halloween Ends (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81

12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Old 04-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Send a message via MSN to BHolst
South Korea Om Shanti Om (Plain Archive's Exclusive) (No. ???) (Korea)

First info (via FB)! Loads more to come, I assume

Quote:
#Omshantiom #Bollywood #plainarchive #bluray #comingsummer #instagram
Thanks given by:
kaykaysud (04-14-2015), madnaxal78 (05-08-2015), sharanium (04-16-2015), TheFalsetto (02-28-2016), Wolverinejmc (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHolst View Post
First info (via FB)! Loads more to come, I assume

Oh well... Quite an odd choice for Plain... But, the artwork (slip/steelbook) would be spectacular for sure due to the retro bollywood vibe of the film
Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

Is this a joke? The Bollywood movie?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Anybody seen this and have an opinion of it?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightslicesofpie View Post
Anybody seen this and have an opinion of it?
Depends how much you like Bollywood. I grew up on it but even I consider this particular one mediocre at best. But it stars arguably the most popular actor ever and is the debut of the current most popular actress, and was briefly the most successful Bollywood movie ever made, so there is some significance there. Also the music is good, but again that depends on your taste/experience with Bollywood. Very big, lavish melodrama; Baz Luhrmann on steroids.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Depends how much you like Bollywood. I grew up on it but even I consider this particular one mediocre at best. But it stars arguably the most popular actor ever and is the debut of the current most popular actress, and was briefly the most successful Bollywood movie ever made, so there is some significance there. Also the music is good, but again that depends on your taste/experience with Bollywood. Very big, lavish melodrama; Baz Luhrmann on steroids.
Yeah, that's what I kinda expected though I've never seen any Bollywood films. Might have to download this one and give it a watch before committing to buying this release, though it would be nice to have all of Plain's catalogue
Old 04-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightslicesofpie View Post
Yeah, that's what I kinda expected though I've never seen any Bollywood films. Might have to download this one and give it a watch before committing to buying this release, though it would be nice to have all of Plain's catalogue
I've seen it pop up on Netflix every now and then; might wanna check YouTube too, but I dunno what kinda quality that'll be.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

Jul 2014
Pennsylvania

Very cool! I've never seen a single Bollywood film, but if Plain feels it fits in their collection, I feel I should at least check it out....then cave and buy it cus it's Plain and that's how the cookie crumbles here
Old 04-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Hmm, don't think I'm a fan of Bollywood. Definitely won't get the one-click, but I might end up buying just to fill a spot on my shelf.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

I don't understand why they chose this, of all Bollywood movies. There are ones that are way better or more iconic than OSO. The idea of a Dabangg Steelbook has me like
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
I don't understand why they chose this, of all Bollywood movies. There are ones that are way better or more iconic than OSO. The idea of a Dabangg Steelbook has me like
It might have been the only one they could secure Korean distribution rights for or it might be extremely popular in Korea and it is considered very fortunate to secure the rights for it.

This is, of course, pure speculation and there might not be any (good) reason for PLAIN selecting this movie for distribution

When it comes to PLAIN it is a bit like Criterion (for me!): If they deem it worthy of release I'll watch it (eventually, in some cases)!
Thanks given by:
InspectorLupus (04-14-2015), kaykaysud (04-16-2015), Wolverinejmc (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #12
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

Quote:
It might have been the only one they could secure Korean distribution rights for or it might be extremely popular in Korea and it is considered very fortunate to secure the rights for it.

This is, of course, pure speculation and there might not be any (good) reason for PLAIN selecting this movie for distribution
Wasn't aware of a strong Bollywood following in South Korea, I know that it's very popular in Germany and, because of large Indian populations, U.S. UK and Canada. I've never bought a PA Steelbook but I might end up getting this just for the novelty of having a Bollywood Steelbook. Might also get their Foxcatcher one, too.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2014
London, UK

I knew they were going to release this for a while. It's not a brilliant film but it has Shahrukh Khan in it. who is one of the biggest faces in Bollywood.
Still unsure why Plain Archive will release this. It's unlike any of their previous releases.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Wasn't aware of a strong Bollywood following in South Korea,
I don't know if there is one... As I wrote, pure speculation on my part.

Quote:
I know that it's very popular in Germany and, because of large Indian populations, U.S. UK and Canada. I've never bought a PA Steelbook but I might end up getting this just for the novelty of having a Bollywood Steelbook. Might also get their Foxcatcher one, too.
PLAIN haven't communicated anything about this being SteelBook, Keepcase or both, yet. Personally I wouldn't get my hopes up for a SteelBook (on the other hand I've been proven wrong plenty of times, so... )
Old 04-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #15
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

Quote:
I don't know if there is one... As I wrote, pure speculation on my part.

PLAIN haven't communicated anything about this being SteelBook, Keepcase or both, yet. Personally I wouldn't get my hopes up for a SteelBook (on the other hand I've been proven wrong plenty of times, so... )
Ah yeah I just assumed Steelbook, definitely won't be worth getting if it's not.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:51 AM   #16
Special Member

Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN

Quote:
Wasn't aware of a strong Bollywood following in South Korea, I know that it's very popular in Germany and, because of large Indian populations, U.S. UK and Canada. I've never bought a PA Steelbook but I might end up getting this just for the novelty of having a Bollywood Steelbook. Might also get their Foxcatcher one, too.
Rang De Basanti has been released as a 2-Disc SB in India... Now, that's a movie PA could've considered instead of OSO.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN

Quote:
Exactly. Plus, with it's halves being set in 1980 and 2007 respectively, the film does look like 2 films crammed into one - the first being a great throwback piece on the glitzy, campy era of 1980's Bollywood and the second, a loud and below-average-to-average
[Show spoiler]reincarnation/revenge drama, with the reincarnated hero devising plots to avenge the deaths of his former self and his ladylove which happened more than two decades ago.
Technically, the film's excellent, with great visuals and music... but I still feel this one (and the recent "Happy New Year") is strictly for the die-hard SRK fan.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #18

Oct 2010
IL, USA

I have grown up on Bollywood as well and must say I am shocked at this choice by PA...I would request if anyone is planning to blind buy/watch this due to the fact that PA is releasing it should not make their impressions of Bollywood or Indian cinema in general based on it.

There are so many alternative great mainstream/commercial Bollywood movies which could have been selected...anything by Vishal Bhardwaj, numerous Aamir Khan hits, even better Shah Rukh Khan hits, or some real classics like Sholay or Bimal Roy/Guru Dutt collections...
Thanks given by:
crossbow (04-16-2015), HDDCS (01-10-2016), keyjey (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #19

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4DVD View Post
I have grown up on Bollywood as well and must say I am shocked at this choice by PA...I would request if anyone is planning to blind buy/watch this due to the fact that PA is releasing it should not make their impressions of Bollywood or Indian cinema in general based on it.

There are so many alternative great mainstream/commercial Bollywood movies which could have been selected...anything by Vishal Bhardwaj, numerous Aamir Khan hits, even better Shah Rukh Khan hits, or some real classics like Sholay or Bimal Roy/Guru Dutt collections...
Agree. This is very odd choice by PA. They had much better movies to select from. On shanti om has no substance and is full of melodrama. I may watch this if hanging out with friends at home having a beer or two.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #20
Power Member

Nov 2010
Canada

Keepcase it is! Confirmed by PLAIN on their Facebook
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Tags
limited edition, numbered, om shanti om, plain archive