Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
1 day ago
House of Psychotic Women Rarities Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.56

The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.85
7 hrs ago
Assassin's Creed 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.22

Bones and All (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.95
1 day ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Old 04-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #21
Power Member

Nov 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4DVD View Post
I have grown up on Bollywood as well and must say I am shocked at this choice by PA...I would request if anyone is planning to blind buy/watch this due to the fact that PA is releasing it should not make their impressions of Bollywood or Indian cinema in general based on it.

There are so many alternative great mainstream/commercial Bollywood movies which could have been selected...anything by Vishal Bhardwaj, numerous Aamir Khan hits, even better Shah Rukh Khan hits, or some real classics like Sholay or Bimal Roy/Guru Dutt collections...
While I agree - I don't think anyone should make decisions based on one or two choices of a certain cinema. That could be said of all world cinema but by experimenting I've been lucky to catch some amazing movies released around the world. Also, you never know, the lavishness sometimes just appeals to some. I've got a lot of non-Indian friends who I was surprised to learn love some of these big-Indian movies.

I'm not a big fan of the movie, but like I said when Nova released My Name Is Khan (which I also bought), I'll support Indian cinema getting more attention worldwide in the hope that people find the gems that do exist.

P.S. I agree with some of your recommendations too Hopefully we will see some of those releases too. Although I can't wait to see what Plain comes up with for this release!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #22
Power Member

Nov 2012
Atlanta,GA

Its a very good bollywood movie.. & I love this release of plain
Old 04-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #23
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykaysud View Post
Rang De Basanti has been released as a 2-Disc SB in India... Now, that's a movie PA could've considered instead of OSO.
Last time I was in India I saw the first two Dhoom movies packaged together in a Steelbook... but it was the DVDs But those movies are also terrible so I wasn't interested. Didn't know about Rang de Basanti but frankly not a huge fan of that movie (or Aamir Khan in general). Would've liked one of the old-school SRK movies from the 90s/early 00s if PA was adamant about doing an SRK movie. Or, of course, a dual-release of the Dabangg movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykaysud View Post
Exactly. Plus, with it's halves being set in 1980 and 2007 respectively, the film does look like 2 films crammed into one - the first being a great throwback piece on the glitzy, campy era of 1980's Bollywood and the second, a loud and below-average-to-average
[Show spoiler]reincarnation/revenge drama, with the reincarnated hero devising plots to avenge the deaths of his former self and his ladylove which happened more than two decades ago.
Technically, the film's excellent, with great visuals and music... but I still feel this one (and the recent "Happy New Year") is strictly for the die-hard SRK fan.
I thought Happy New Year was OK, definitely better than this. Deepika is beyond irritating in her earlier movies, but thankfully she's become a very good actress recently.

Last edited by imsounoriginal; 04-16-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #24

Sep 2010
Corpus Christi, TX

I'd never heard of this film before this announcement, never seen any Bollywood films either.
Not too sure about this one...though since it's from Plain, I'll be getting one of the editions.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #25
Power Member

Nov 2012
Atlanta,GA

This was actually announced by plain long back during their wrestler release time.

I dont know y all are acting shocked now
Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #26

Oct 2010
IL, USA

@rajeev, was not aware it was announced earlier. Was genuinely shocked!! :-)

I am a fan of regular song and dance Bollywood movies, and have grown up idolizing Amitabh Bachchan!! But no way is Om Shanti Om or any of Farah Khan's movies deserving of a PA release, least of all Happy New Year!! Not a fan of Dabangg either...

My Name Is Khan, on the other hand, though flawed was miles better than any of these movies and I bought it too from Nova...

It's just that even regular, mainstream, commercial song and dance Bollywood has come a long way in the last decade (for example Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara or Jab We Met or Queen)...would love to see those movies get some international attention with quality steelbooks!!

But my personal wishlist would be something from Vishal Bhardwaj or Anurag Kashyap or Zoya Akhtar...
Old 04-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #27
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4DVD View Post
@rajeev, was not aware it was announced earlier. Was genuinely shocked!! :-)

I am a fan of regular song and dance Bollywood movies, and have grown up idolizing Amitabh Bachchan!! But no way is Om Shanti Om or any of Farah Khan's movies deserving of a PA release, least of all Happy New Year!! Not a fan of Dabangg either...

My Name Is Khan, on the other hand, though flawed was miles better than any of these movies and I bought it too from Nova...

It's just that even regular, mainstream, commercial song and dance Bollywood has come a long way in the last decade (for example Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara or Jab We Met or Queen)...would love to see those movies get some international attention with quality steelbooks!!

But my personal wishlist would be something from Vishal Bhardwaj or Anurag Kashyap or Zoya Akhtar...
ZNMD is just a remake of Dil Chahta Hai, and a lesser one at that, although it and Guzaarish finally proved that Hrithik Roshan can deliver a watchable performance. Jab We Met has to be one of the most annoying movies I've ever seen, in spite of the good songs, a solid director (Rockstar and Highway are awesome) and having two stars I genuinely like. But yeah My Name is Khan was good until it got super political and unrealistic (even for a Bollywood movie) towards the end.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
GA, USA #YCC
Thumbs up

Thanks given by:
Heapashifter (04-18-2015), imsounoriginal (04-18-2015), InspectorLupus (04-18-2015), Lizard King (04-18-2015), TheGeneral (04-20-2015), Wolverinejmc (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011

Videos from PA's Instagram:

Red & Gold Full Slip (Shine gold foil letterpress and full gloss red colored paper)

Gold Full Slip (Multi level sculptured emboss and metallic golden paper)
Thanks given by:
Heapashifter (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

I think I'm just going to go for the red one.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #31

Sep 2010
Antwerp, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
I've never bought a PA Steelbook but I might end up getting this just for the novelty of having a Bollywood Steelbook.
Dhobi Ghat (featuring Aamir Khan in a non-glamorous role) was also released in steelbook packaging.

and in a limited edition (w/ soundtrack cd)

There's also the Rang De Basanti steelbook.

(This disc is marred by disappointing pq though)
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (04-19-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Austin, TX

Gonna have to be red & gold for me as well.

I paused the red & gold instagram vid at the right moment and managed to see the spine is numbered 011--so if ZDT is 007, Rust & Bone 008, OLLA 010 and this 011, do we still not know for sure what 009 is?

Last edited by eightslicesofpie; 04-18-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 AM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011
Reading, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvince View Post
Videos from PA's Instagram:

Red & Gold Full Slip (Shine gold foil letterpress and full gloss red colored paper)

Gold Full Slip (Multi level sculptured emboss and metallic golden paper)
the shine and gloss on that red edition is just out of this world. looks fantastic
Old 04-19-2015, 03:59 AM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2012
Wherever I am right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightslicesofpie View Post
Gonna have to be red & gold for me as well.

I paused the red & gold instagram vid at the right moment and managed to see the spine is numbered 011--so if ZDT is 007, Rust & Bone 008, OLLA 010 and this 011, do we still not know for sure what 009 is?
[Show spoiler]
I'm pretty sure it's Searching For Sugar Man.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

So it's pretty much guaranteed that this will be the next release after OOLA? They've announced plenty of upcoming films, yet they already have the artwork/boxes made for this release. I wonder if they are going to start releasing more than 1 movie a month. I don't think my wallet could handle that. But if not, that means Two Days One Night, Foxcatcher, Mommy etc won't come out until July, August, September.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #36
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew-Kenneth View Post
Dhobi Ghat (featuring Aamir Khan in a non-glamorous role) was also released in steelbook packaging.
[Show spoiler]

and in a limited edition (w/ soundtrack cd)
[Show spoiler]

There's also the Rang De Basanti steelbook.
[Show spoiler]

(This disc is marred by disappointing pq though)
It's marred by being a disappointing movie, too Haven't seen Dhobi Ghat yet, it screened during a film festival at my College but wasn't able to check it out.

I like the look of that Gold Slip for OSO, but will pass on these. Hopefully everyone who collects and buys this movie enjoys it; would love for this movie to bring in some new Bollywood fans
Old 04-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #37
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011
Reading, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post
So it's pretty much guaranteed that this will be the next release after OOLA? They've announced plenty of upcoming films, yet they already have the artwork/boxes made for this release. I wonder if they are going to start releasing more than 1 movie a month. I don't think my wallet could handle that. But if not, that means Two Days One Night, Foxcatcher, Mommy etc won't come out until July, August, September.
1 a month is good for me. dying to see the artwork for mommy
Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Only Lovers Left Alive : May
Om Shanti Om : June
Two Days, One Night : July
Mommy : August
Oldboy : September
Searching for Sugar Man : October
Foxcatcher : November

That's the schedule I'd like to see. I've been wanting to see Two Days, One Night for about 8 months now. And I don't want to watch the film until I have the PA discs in hand.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

I don't think 1 a month is enough. I'd be fine with 1 version of each movie if they could get them out faster.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011
Reading, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapashifter View Post
I don't think 1 a month is enough. I'd be fine with 1 version of each movie if they could get them out faster.
for me its enough cause there is also novamedia, kimchi and blu fans as well
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions

Tags
limited edition, numbered, om shanti om, plain archive