Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Naked Lunch 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99
2 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Naked Lunch (Blu-ray)
£24.99
1 day ago
House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99
1 day ago
Maniac (Blu-ray)
£15.00
11 hrs ago
House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00

The Hunger Games: Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£68.54
22 hrs ago
Vigilante (Blu-ray)
£15.00
11 hrs ago
Fall (Blu-ray)
£10.00
11 hrs ago
In the Mood for Love (Blu-ray)
£17.99

The Matrix Resurrections 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.14
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

The early films sound interesting but 35 is an insane price, I'm fine with the Criterion, TBH
Old 05-04-2015, 03:04 AM   #42
Power Member

Dec 2009
-
-

It's not 35 though. Yes if anyone wants to order from Amazon right now but it'll likely go down and it's 27.99 at the Arrow store.
Thanks given by:
DaveSimonH (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:18 AM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
It's not 35 though. Yes if anyone wants to order from Amazon right now but it'll likely go down and it's 27.99 at the Arrow store.
Only difference is they will take the payment now;
Quote:
Payment for pre-order items will be collected now for despatch on the release date.
But you will probably receive it earlier, and that 7 saving.
And inevitably Arrow will be making more per unit when you order direct.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:26 AM   #44
Power Member

Dec 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimonH View Post
Only difference is they will take the payment now;

True but then as long as it doesn't fly out, there's probably plenty of time to order it. I'm only just about to order the Long Good Friday set as it got delayed. That'll give me a few extra quid off as well in Reward points.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #45
Special Member

May 2011
Rome, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_tales View Post
The early films sound interesting but 35 is an insane price, I'm fine with the Criterion, TBH
The early efforts are, quite objectively, god-awful, so don't bother. For completists only. Must admit the bulky book is tempting though.
Thanks given by:
The Maltese Falcon (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #46
Expert Member

Feb 2014
The Ruins of the Ex-EU

I haven't watched the others for a while, but Crimes of the Future is quite interesting. I suppose it depends on how much you like Cronenberg.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #47
Banned

Sep 2010
France

Limited releases like these are usually pretty interesting to order from Arrow direct instead of Amazon. They might be cheaper at some point at Amazon, mind you, but it usually takes much more time to be than for their regular release.

And as it has been pointed out, a bigger chunk of your money goes to Arrow when you do so.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #48
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed that yet another release of Videodrome is happening and there's still no deleted scenes included. This is very disappointing. There's been an A&E tv broadcast version floating around the 'net for years and years which includes several cut scenes and extended scenes, and there was even a fanedit done at some point combining the uncut footage form the DVD and the extended footage from the A&E broadcast. Granted, the versions floating around out there look awful of course, but the footage is fascinating. I'm not talking just a little bit of footage - I'm talking about a substantial amount of additional footage. Think of the tv broadcast version like the Re-Animator R-rated version - the uncut version of Re-animator is the director's intended cut, but the alternate version included alternate scenes and lots of additional footage that expands the film. For the German mediabook release of Re-Animator, they included "both Unrated and Integral cuts in 1080p HD, with the R-rated cut as a SD extra. The integral version contains the extended TV version of the story sequences and the sex and gore part of the unrated version. The new scenes were completely scanned in HD."

The blu-ray release of Halloween II also included the tv cut as an extra, as it also contained numerous additional scenes. Videodrome deserves this same treatment. There's some great cut footage, and they should have either included the tv version as a SD extra for those who are curious, or at least included the deleted scenes as extras. I was disappointed that Criterion didn't include either option, and yet again Videodrome gets another chance and Arrow isn't including the footage. Cronenberg may not like the footage, but that doesn't mean fans wouldn't enjoy seeing it in a set like this.

This looks like a nice set but between the missing galleries and commentaries, and lack of deleted scenes, I wouldn't want to pay the price they are asking for this. Which is a shame, because I love the film.

Last edited by mar3o; 05-05-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Thanks given by:
Beauvoir (05-06-2015), PowellPressburger (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

Arrow are often open to ideas for supplements. They may not even be aware of this TV cut. Ask them on Facebook or email suggestions@arrowfilms.co.uk.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #50
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Arrow are often open to ideas for supplements. They may not even be aware of this TV cut. Ask them on Facebook or email suggestions@arrowfilms.co.uk.
Indeed, I've just asked them on Facebook (along with a query about cutting together the pre-release cut of My Darling Clementine with the 4K resto) so I'll let you know if I get a response
Thanks given by:
Mr. Thomsen (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #51
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
I was not aware of that. Thank you. I sent them an email with some descriptions of the deleted scenes and some links to youtube clips of some of the cut scenes. I asked about including either the tv cut if it's at all possible or available, or if not then maybe including just the deleted scenes as a supplement. I'll report back if I hear anything.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #52

Aug 2013

Cronenberg himself blocked the inclusion of the TV cut and deleted scenes on the Criterion edition, so I imagine (don't know for sure) that the same applied to Arrow, especially if they wanted to include the shorts.

It's also worth noting that a lot of Universal's master tapes for things like this were wiped out in the big fire a few years ago, so it might not exist in a better state than the rips currently floating around online.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #53

Oct 2014

Yes that is the reason because Cronenberg blocked inclusion himself despite admiting he had softened his stance to deleted material when he released a deleted scene on the History of Violence home release (also some deleted scenes are on The Fly package). The truth is the A&E version is an abomination assembled without his input simply to pad out the length of a censored TV broadcast. While some of the scene are very interesting, they were ultimately jettisoned because the final cut evolved in post-production (shooting began with no final script) with reshoots used to craft the eventual ending. Cronenberg created lots of coverage giving him a range of choices for the final film. Also there were some questions about Debbie Harry's performance in earlier scenes. The result is that a lot of unused material exists but it was never intended to be included in the final film. If you look at any of the still sets released to promote the film you'll notice the majority are from discarded scenes. There are also images of Max on his rampage wearing the Accumlucon Helmet and the flesh gun and images of Harlan with a gunshot wound in the hand, not The "hand grenade". Maybe Arrow could do an image gallery devoted to the deleted scenes. I'm sure Tim Lucas will have a lot to say about the deleted scenes as will the feature on how the script was adapted for a tie-in novel.

Last edited by bobkind4; 05-05-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Now 25.25 @ Amazon.co.uk
Thanks given by:
DaveSimonH (05-06-2015), grant666uk (05-06-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #55
Banned

Apr 2015

I preorder from Amazon for 2 reasons.
Firstly they don't take the money when you order . I hate paying for something I might not have for 3 months.

And more often than not somewhere during the pre-order period the Amazon price will beat the Arrow price - just as it has today ( although chances are the Arrow price will beat Amazon on release day).

For quite a while the combination of lowest prices and the Reward Points made the Arrow store the place to order Arrow titles.

Higher prices , less value of points in sales and taking the money up front are more than enough to use Amazon instead
Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

Arrow have commented on Yami's Facebook post and it turns out there's a chance they might actually be able to get these deleted scenes! Wasn't expecting that. Always worth asking, you see.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Obviously the deleted footage itself would be the best option but the box set's book contains a section on the alternate versions written by Brad Stevens (I assume it's the Brad Stevens who did rather good books on Monte Hellman and Abel Ferrara). It would be nice if Centipede could be persuaded to reprint Tim Lucas' book as it's pretty much definitive, Lucas was on set for most of the filming and the book has many interesting photos.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 AM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013
'London Zoo' (Uk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
Now 25.25 @ Amazon.co.uk
with a hardback book thats a steal

hope its drops again
Old 05-06-2015, 04:46 AM   #59
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Athens, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornyRhino" View Post
with a hardback book thats a steal

hope its drops again
Yeah I went with Amazon for this one. The price seems fair enough!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

I ordered from Amazon because they remove VAT where the Arrow store doesn't seem to.

21.04 yay!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland