Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
10 hrs ago
The Poison Ivy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
10 hrs ago
Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
10 hrs ago
Cat People 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
10 hrs ago
Lifeforce 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
10 hrs ago
The Craft 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
10 hrs ago
Escape from New York 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
10 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54

Halloween Ends (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
10 hrs ago
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$21.49
1 day ago
The Fisher King 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Feb 2015
-
-
Default Cat People and I Walked With A Zombie

Just noticed that Blu Rays of these two classics are listed as being up for pre-order in Japan!!
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/I-Wal...lu-ray/146345/

http://www.amazon.co.jp/*ャット...BT6PBJ425JQ8G3
Old 02-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011
Default Cat People and I Walked With A Zombie

Many vintage RKO titles have bad source materials and knowing how fussy the Warner Archive is about releasing Blus in anything but stellar quality, you have to wonder if they'll ever get around to the Val Lewton library. Warners themselves could release them outside of the Archive division in a set akin to the HAMMER and SPECIAL EFFECTS sets that came out in the fall of 2015. They are not as strict in quality control as the Archive.

As for these Japanese releases, Warners has publicly stated these Japanese Blus are not sourced from the original materials they have in their possession.
Thanks given by:
Gull Cottage (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 AM   #3

Feb 2015
-
-

DVD Beaver has reviewed them both for what it's worth.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...ie_blu-ray.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...le_blu-ray.htm
Old 03-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
Many vintage RKO titles have bad source materials and knowing how fussy the Warner Archive is about releasing Blus in anything but stellar quality, you have to wonder if they'll ever get around to the Val Lewton library. Warners themselves could release them outside of the Archive division in a set akin to the HAMMER and SPECIAL EFFECTS sets that came out in the fall of 2015. They are not as strict in quality control as the Archive.

As for these Japanese releases, Warners has publicly stated these Japanese Blus are not sourced from the original materials they have in their possession.
Should they be released in any other quality? I'd rather wait for them to do it right than to get some average job and double dip later.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Should they be released in any other quality? I'd rather wait for them to do it right than to get some average job and double dip later.

I admire and respect the exacting standards of the Warner Archive, but with some films they just may never have source material that will justify such standards. In such cases, I would be more than willing to invest in the best job they are capable of rather than wait for perfection that may never come.

I once spoke with an WA employee about DARK OF THE SUN on Blu and he said while he himself thought the materials they had would yield an excellent Blu, the upper echelon of the company was not satisfied enough to produce it just yet. As I said, in many ways this is admirable, but for some titles waiting may prove futile. In that case, work wonders with what you have. I would rather support original source Val Lewtons from the Archive even if the quality wasn't top tier than import from Japan, unless the latter somehow get tremendous reviews.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:30 AM   #6

Jul 2021

I Walked with a Zombie is supposed to be getting a German release this summer, but the release date keeps getting pushed back.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:51 PM   #7

Oct 2020

That sounds really good, I'll be looking out for that German release.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #8

Jul 2018

..the german blu-ray has a release date of 22nd july...i think i'll wait till the end of august to see whether Warner announce the double bill release of i walked with a zombie and the 7th victim...if they are planning a halloween release they normally announce 2 months beforehand..

Last edited by thisis2; 07-19-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:23 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

Theres a half hour interview with Siodmak on the German Blu-ray but dont know if in German or English.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:43 AM   #10

Jul 2018

...this is the moment of truth (two months ahead , end of august) regarding an announcement by Warner for a potential double feature halloween release of '' I walked with a zombie'' and ''The 7th Victim'' ...can't imagine why Warner wouldn't release these two significient movies from the Val Lewton series but will have no choice but to get the german release of one of them : ''I Walked....'' if there's no announcement within the next week or so..

Last edited by thisis2; 08-24-2022 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:00 AM   #11

Dec 2013

Wasn't Criterion rumored to be doing I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE? I will take a Warner Archive Blu-ray, hopefully in time for Halloween.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International