Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Shawscope Volume Two (Blu-ray)
£96.46

House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

The Street Fighter Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Naked Lunch 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99

House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00

The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection: Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
£47.94

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99

Fall (Blu-ray)
£10.00

The Revenant (Blu-ray)
£1.90

Two Orphan Vampires (Blu-ray)
£16.99

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (Blu-ray)
£6.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #21
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Hell yes, loving the retro logo and original artwork:

Why yes, I do...
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (08-23-2016), Geoff D (08-29-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Body Double entirely makes up for Arrow's delay with Raising Cain, and it looks like Christine will be out before Second Sight's Assault on Precinct 13. This is going to be a good few months, assuming I can actually afford all of these! I definitely want at least half of these ASAP...

Yeah, 15.99 is not bad at all. About the same as Arrow's standard price (on their own store) or Criterion (after 10% from Zoom or elsewhere). As some have said, it could turn out to be even less from HMV or Amazon, especially if they show up in a 2 for 25 offer like many Eureka/Arrow/StudioCanal titles do.

Can't believe they just crossed about 10 titles off my wishlist in one fell swoop. If they play this right, they could immediately be my new favourite label alongside Signal One (who are admirable in their insistence on keeping things simple and stripped back). I wonder if it'll just be Sony titles for the most part, or they'll branch out to other labels. Currently, most UK labels have only dabbled with Fox/MGM and occasionally Universal, with Eureka setting up deals with Paramount/Sony and BFI being the only ones who have managed to do a few Warner Bros.

I wonder how many of the rest of my Sony wishlist will be fulfilled: The Last Detail, Body Double, The Passenger, Sex Lies & Videotape, Images, The Swimmer, Fat City, The Big Heat, Christine, The Anderson Tapes, California Split, Adaptation, Hard Times, The Lady from Shanghai, Birdy, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Papillon, Starman, Our Man in Havana, Casualties of War, Fail-Safe, Experiment in Terror, Ishtar, The Age of Innocence, His Girl Friday, The Front, Jabberwocky, Used Cars, Two Rode Together, Single White Female, Husbands and Wives, All the Real Girls, Heavy Metal, Donnie Brasco, Bunny Lake is Missing, Stripes, Bell Book and Candle, All the King's Men...
If they've done Christine, I'm pretty sure there's a good chance Starman will happen. I'd love Ridley Scott's Someone to Watch Over Me amongst others. Great looking new label though! I'll have to flog my Italian import of Christine now!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #23
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Ugh! Those Christine and Body Double covers are perfect. Love the design in general so far. MoC now have a competitor in that regard!

The fact it looks like they're going to be including basically every extra available and a booklet too means I can't just ignore them that month (despite so many great titles already planned from Arrow, Eureka, BFI, StudioCanal, Third Window, New Wave, Cult Films etc).

Really like the Scanavo cases too - I literally just bought my first Criterion title (L'Avventura) and it's refreshing to get the full artwork (though I already did have a few Argent/Cult Films titles that have the same Scanavo case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
If they've done Christine, I'm pretty sure there's a good chance Starman will happen. I'd love Ridley Scott's Someone to Watch Over Me amongst others. Great looking new label though! I'll have to flog my Italian import of Christine now!
Yeah I was just thinking that. Starman is almost certainly going to come from this label. That said, it looks like Eureka have started a Sony deal as well so it'll be interesting to see which will be from Indicator and which ones Eureka managed to swipe. We already know Eureka have The Man from Laramie and Metropolis ('01), so we will have to wait and see which other ones they got that this new label didn't...

I love the diversity of the UK market right now. Seems the quality is even more consistent than abroad as well, and they're often more affordable too.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Sheffield

Official unveiling is this Friday, as per their Twitter feed.
Thanks given by:
rapta (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #25
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Just in, from their Twitter:

Quote:
We'll be introducing ourselves on Friday 26th August!
Thought that might be the case! Bring on the formal announcements, and maybe some details on how their own store will work. Exciting!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #26
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
I literally just bought my first Criterion title (L'Avventura)
Beautiful movie. Possibly my favourite pickup this year. Enjoy
Thanks given by:
rapta (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:19 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Ugh! Those Christine and Body Double covers are perfect. Love the design in general so far. MoC now have a competitor in that regard!

The fact it looks like they're going to be including basically every extra available and a booklet too means I can't just ignore them that month (despite so many great titles already planned from Arrow, Eureka, BFI, StudioCanal, Third Window, New Wave, Cult Films etc).

Really like the Scanavo cases too - I literally just bought my first Criterion title (L'Avventura) and it's refreshing to get the full artwork (though I already did have a few Argent/Cult Films titles that have the same Scanavo case).

Yeah I was just thinking that. Starman is almost certainly going to come from this label. That said, it looks like Eureka have started a Sony deal as well so it'll be interesting to see which will be from Indicator and which ones Eureka managed to swipe. We already know Eureka have The Man from Laramie and Metropolis ('01), so we will have to wait and see which other ones they got that this new label didn't...

I love the diversity of the UK market right now. Seems the quality is even more consistent than abroad as well, and they're often more affordable too.
Yeah it's great, just very expensive! I'll have to prioritise my purchases up till Chrimbo now, won't manage to grab everything straight away. If these are 15.99 RRP, I wonder if Amazon will sell them around 11.99? That would help .

Btw, Panic Room would be FANTASTIC as it's Sony, but I'm thinking that might be too modern for these labels maybe? I can't believe that's still not out anywhere, it's David Fincher!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #28

Jun 2015
UK

Oh, bugger. Automatically sign me up for 9 out of those 12 titles.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012
The Arse of the World's Mind

Will these have spine numbers like Masters of Cinema releases?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010

Quote:
Btw, Panic Room would be FANTASTIC as it's Sony, but I'm thinking that might be too modern for these labels maybe? I can't believe that's still not out anywhere, it's David Fincher!
Twilight Time have PANIC ROOM in the US, so it is possible that Indicator will release it in the UK. When last asked about it, TT said that they are waiting on Fincher to sign off on the new 4k master before they can release it.
Thanks given by:
Cinematt (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #31

Jun 2011

Well this is pretty exciting news!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
Will these have spine numbers like Masters of Cinema releases?
I honestly think I both hope they do and hope they don't in equal measure!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
England

Awesome sauce, suck it Twilight Time....
Thanks given by:
donthitpause (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #33
Power Member

Jan 2014

Good news!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
Twilight Time have PANIC ROOM in the US, so it is possible that Indicator will release it in the UK. When last asked about it, TT said that they are waiting on Fincher to sign off on the new 4k master before they can release it.
Oh yes, awesome, I forgot about that! So hopefully one of the U.K. labels will manage to grab that. It's a pretty high profile film not to release here.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
I hadn't heard about this, that's fantastic news. It's been one of my most wanted for ages, whilst not Fincher's best it's still the only one of his movies that hadn't made it to BD. I was just saying the other day I'd happily settle for a bare bones release as I've still got the 3 disc DVD edition, but if those extras can get ported over too it'll save me some shelf space.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #36
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
Beautiful movie. Possibly my favourite pickup this year. Enjoy
Yeah, I will just need to get L'Eclisse now and I'll have all the Antonioni available on UK Blu-ray. Also regret not getting MoC's Il Grido DVD when it was a few quid once...I dunno why I didn't (I have a thing for Alida Valli).

Quote:
Yeah it's great, just very expensive! I'll have to prioritise my purchases up till Chrimbo now, won't manage to grab everything straight away. If these are 15.99 RRP, I wonder if Amazon will sell them around 11.99? That would help .

If those first two are still 15.99 I might even consider selling an organ so I can afford it as well as some other essentials from that month. Helps that it's my birthday, but it's already a crowded month especially thanks to Arrow/MoC/BFI/Third Window. If they're 12-13 (or even less) that will definitely make things a lot easier. It could certainly be the case since so far there's no obvious signs of self-produced extras other than a booklet (though there could well be visual essays or commentaries added later on).

Panic Room would indeed be excellent, but as some have said before when I mentioned it on the Eureka thread, it might be too high-profile for small UK labels. Some others that might be a similar problem that I mentioned: Adaptation (Spike Jonze), Donnie Brasco (Mike Newell), Gattaca (Andrew Niccol), Ali (Michael Mann), The People vs Larry Flynt (Milos Forman), Stripes (Ivan Reitman), Used Cars (Robert Zemeckis), Awakenings (Penny Marshall), A League of Their Own (Penny Marshall). I also suggested Punch-Drunk Love (Paul Thomas Anderson) but Criterion have since announced that and hopefully will release it in the UK as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchfinger Generous View Post
Oh, bugger. Automatically sign me up for 9 out of those 12 titles.
Yep, I actually definitely want 10 of the 12 of these but will have to scale it back. Really, really want Christine/The Last Detail/Body Double/The Lady from Shanghai/Fat City/The Anderson Tapes as soon as possible (that last one I actually bought on DVD fairly recently), and Bunny Lake is Missing/10 Rillington Place/Experiment in Terror/Guess Who's Coming to Dinner pretty much directly after that. The other two look interesting as well but not something I'd buy on Day One.

I actually can't wait to get hold of a few of these. Guess I'll only have to wait just over a month to get hold of both a Carpenter and a De Palma film I've been wanting to see for years! And with the best possible transfers as well by the looks of things.

Noticed their listing for Body Double said the booklet will have writing from Ashley Clarke, who writes for Little White Lies (my favourite film magazine) and I follow on Letterboxd, which is pretty cool. You don't often see new labels starting up that offer booklets, let alone good encoding/plenty of extras/great artwork!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozu Teapot View Post
Well this is pretty exciting news!

I honestly think I both hope they do and hope they don't in equal measure!
Me too. On one hand MoC is very nicely ordered, and on the other it can look funny when the colours are similar on two or more spines (though reversible artwork did prevent that a little). Artificial Eye are easily ordered too but the spines are all over the place design-wise.

I'd be happy to see another MoC/Criterion-style spine number system, at least for the Indicator range, but I do quite like labels like Arrow/BFI/Signal One/Second Sight who don't take it too seriously (and Arrow give you artwork options every time as well). So far the design in general looks well-considered, so I'm sure whatever they choose will be done in good taste. I'm sensing something quite similar to Criterion, with just simple designs, but the selection of titles is already a little closer to Arrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematt View Post
I hadn't heard about this, that's fantastic news. It's been one of my most wanted for ages, whilst not Fincher's best it's still the only one of his movies that hadn't made it to BD. I was just saying the other day I'd happily settle for a bare bones release as I've still got the 3 disc DVD edition, but if those extras can get ported over too it'll save me some shelf space.
It's actually on Netflix right now. I've not watched it yet but was curious to see if it looked any better than my DVD copy. Been years since I've seen it though...
Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #37
Banned

Jul 2015
North Korea

Squeezing the last drop of Vegemite out of my Aussie bitcoins for these releases!

Solid titles. Solid art. Solid extras.

I would totally hit pause for these bastards!
Thanks given by:
Dickieduvet (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

If anyone from Powerhouse Films is reading this thread, please include reversible covers without rating logos (e.g. 88 Films). If this is not economically viable, please make them as small as possible (e.g. Masters of Cinema). Also, thanks for the English subtitles.
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (08-22-2016), Margot Robbie Fan (08-23-2016), Se.Vero (08-23-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
Er...Miami?

Christine and Body Double, definitely

This is great news. Not so much for my wallet though
Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #40
Banned

Jul 2015
Isle of Albion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
Christine and Body Double, definitely

This is great news. Not so much for my wallet though
Those are two of the titles I'm definitely picking up.

If the quality of their releases stays at the level of those first 12 I'll probably want everything but as they're aiming to release 4 a month I've barely a cat in hell's chance of keeping up with the must haves, never mind upgrades and semi-blind buys.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland