Best Prime Deals

Best Prime Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Smile UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Nope UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Eternals HD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Ragnarok HD (Prime)
$9.99

Bullet Train (Prime)
$4.99

Black Widow (Prime)
$9.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Iron Man HD (Prime)
$9.99

Doctor Strange HD (Prime)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video

Old 08-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Jan 2011
Default Frustrated with Amazon Instant Video

So for awhile now people, including myself, have been having some major subtitle issues for a lot of content offered by Amazon. With me, my subtitles are typically a few seconds of out sync which while is not an immensely huge problem, its aggravating enough that I normally do not finish the movie. Bummer especially when I pay for a title.

I guess I just wanted to rant and see if others are having any similar playback/subtitle issues. I sent a complaint to Amazon and they replied promptly and suggested downloading a new web browser, which I did and obviously the problem is still present. Amazon offered no solution for what to do when the out of sync problem occurs directly within the Amazon Instant Video app (Kindle).

Last edited by kevinbellamy; 08-16-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

I'm frustrated that they still haven't released that damn Apple TV app
Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
I'm frustrated that they still haven't released that damn Apple TV app
And VUDU surprisingly beat them to the punch.

But maybe that means they're trying to make it really good.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2012
Archbury

Or Apple talked them into holding it so it could be announced with the launch of the new Apple TV.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Or Apple talked them into holding it so it could be announced with the launch of the new Apple TV.
It was already announced, so that would be redundant. But who knows...
Old 08-25-2017, 01:47 AM   #6

Mar 2014

It's Amazon's problem. They have a LOT of subtitles out of sync with the audio. I've reported them to the FCC to get them to fix the problem. It takes a few weeks, but the FCC gets Amazon to fix the movie and/or movies in question.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #7

Aug 2017

For a while I thought it was my connection speed that was causing it, I wonder what it takes them to sort issues like this out?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014

It's also frustrating how many films have botched aspect ratios.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Special Member

Jul 2009

The FCC requires subtitles on internet movies? Can they even do that? I know most broadcast TV now requires closed captions, but the internet is different. If the FCC has any say over it at all, they could ban 'offensive' material next!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #10

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
It's also frustrating how many films have botched aspect ratios.
The couple of cases of which I've notified them have been fixed. May have taken them awhile but they were fixed.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #11
Power Member

Dec 2008
Arizona

Amazon's app is on the PlayStation 4 Pro, as is the VUDU app, but there's still no iTunes app. I guess Apple doesn't want to play friendly with Amazon. I can also stream Amazon movies and VUDU movies using Chromecast, but not iTunes which suggests to me the problem is with Apple/iTunes
Old 11-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrrnHarr View Post
Amazon's app is on the PlayStation 4 Pro, as is the VUDU app, but there's still no iTunes app. I guess Apple doesn't want to play friendly with Amazon. I can also stream Amazon movies and VUDU movies using Chromecast, but not iTunes which suggests to me the problem is with Apple/iTunes
Why would you want an Amazon Video app for iTunes? So you too can watch videos in glorious standard definition like us Android users? You should be happy you're not subjected to their app. It's garbage. AND they added ads to it!
Old 12-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #13

Feb 2017

I have no problems with subtitles on my Amazon prime app on my blu-Ray player. I have seen your name on other website. Nice to see you here!
Old 02-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #14

Dec 2018

This seems like the best place to post this, please let me know if you think it could go in a better thread.

So, for the last month or so my Amazon Fire Streaming Stick (the regular one, not the 4K one) has been giving me problems when streaming Amazon Prime or IMDb TV (which is kinda lumped in with Prime you might say). Lately when I start a stream on either of these platforms the video immediately becomes jerky and jumpy and the audio almost always falls out of sync with the video. Usually if I hit the back button to bump it back 10 seconds then they sync back up, but then they usually fall right back out of sync soon after. This problem does not seem to happen on any other app, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Peacock, Disney+, etc all seem to play fine on the stick, and Amazon Prime seems to play fine when I use the TVís built in Amazon app, so it does seem like the FireStick is the problem. I have made sure several times that it is up to date with software, and restarted the stick a few times which doesnít seem to help. I also own a 4K FireStick that is connected to another TV, and that one seems to work flawlessly, so it seems like the problem is this one FireStick.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 04-17-2022, 01:36 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

The Amazon app on Apple TV seems to be buggy for the past few days at least. You can’t really click on anything to watch it. Anyone else with an Apple TV having this issue with the Amazon app?

I already tried deleting and reinstalling, but it’s still the same issue. All the other apps are totally fine.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:36 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

The app is still unusable on the Apple TV. I own two Apple TVs, both with the same issue. Strange that nobody else here has expressed this issue.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
The Amazon app on Apple TV seems to be buggy for the past few days at least. You canít really click on anything to watch it. Anyone else with an Apple TV having this issue with the Amazon app?

I already tried deleting and reinstalling, but itís still the same issue. All the other apps are totally fine.
Quote:
The app is still unusable on the Apple TV. I own two Apple TVs, both with the same issue. Strange that nobody else here has expressed this issue.
A couple of weeks ago, I was going to watch something on IMDB TV, and clicking on it wouldn't do anything. I'm not sure if I've watched something else on Amazon since then, but I think I have.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:16 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
I just tried playing one of the movies from my Amazon library (not subscribed to Prime Video currently) and had no problems.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:11 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I was going to watch something on IMDB TV, and clicking on it wouldn't do anything. I'm not sure if I've watched something else on Amazon since then, but I think I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
I just tried playing one of the movies from my Amazon library (not subscribed to Prime Video currently) and had no problems.
Thanks. I'll try it again. Not sure what's been going on.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:31 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2010
Alabama

Recently bought a 4K TV, and after catching up on some things I decided to finally sink my teeth into some 4K content so I was going to start some shows on Prime that I hadn't gotten around to yet. So I start watching Wheel of Time. It says it's in UHD and has HDR but I start it, and the info screen with the progress bar only says it's in HD and the HDR box that pops up on the top right of my screen when HDR content starts never showed. So I check a few other things (Upload season 1 episode 1, A Very British Scandal, Reacher episode 1) and they all say the same. This is weird because it's a FOUR K TELEVISION.

I had a Roku Express 4K previously, though my TV wasn't 4K I was future proofing, so I plug it up and make sure to let it check my display and it confirms it's 4K HDR which yeah, obviously... start Prime and Wheel of Time and Reacher still says it's HD. I check the movie I Want You Back and it shows UHD and HDR, same for episode 201 of Upload and a later episode of Reacher and A Very British Scandal. It's very weird because the built in app on the actual TV won't stream 4K and only some stuff is streaming 4K on Roku.

So, is Amazon known for having problems with UHD/HDR content actually not streaming in that quality?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video