Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99
1 day ago
House of Psychotic Women Rarities Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.56

The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.85
8 hrs ago
The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.22

Bones and All (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.95
1 day ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$67.81

The Running Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.74

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:42 AM   #21

Aug 2014
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
I enjoyed the Godzilla 2014 movie but I can see why a lot of people have issues with its pacing. The effects work is (mostly) excellent but will never touch the magic of a suit actor trashing unbelievably detailed miniature sets.

I have only seen a few episodes so far but for giant monster action I would recommend Ultraseven which is on DVD. It's not available through Amazon right now but you can get it on the Shout Factory website.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=1637

Could you post images of your Gamera delivery? Also curious to know where you ordered them from.
Oh nice that Ultraseven series is one of the sets I had in mind to try. I'll have to move it up on my wish list!

I got my two Gamera sets in a couple days ago and have been working through them. It's just the two bare bones releases from Mill Creek, nothing special.

But I was able to snag both for $10 total including shipping so it was a pretty decent deal. I'm surprised at how bloody/gorey some of the monster fights are! It's a nice surprise seeing stuff like a knife headed monster chop up a giant bat monster into bite size pieces. Having lots of fun with them!

I also have the blu ray set of the later 3 Gamera movies, but I haven't watched them yet.
Thanks given by:
Dragon Ranger (06-14-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

Choujin Sentai Jetman Pre-order here
Thanks given by:
Dragon Ranger (06-14-2018), Professor Knowby (06-13-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Knowby View Post
Oh nice that Ultraseven series is one of the sets I had in mind to try. I'll have to move it up on my wish list!

I got my two Gamera sets in a couple days ago and have been working through them. It's just the two bare bones releases from Mill Creek, nothing special.

But I was able to snag both for $10 total including shipping so it was a pretty decent deal. I'm surprised at how bloody/gorey some of the monster fights are! It's a nice surprise seeing stuff like a knife headed monster chop up a giant bat monster into bite size pieces. Having lots of fun with them!

I also have the blu ray set of the later 3 Gamera movies, but I haven't watched them yet.
Thanks for posting; those look great! I'll hopefully be able to add them to my collection soon.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post

Choujin Sentai Jetman Pre-order here
Now available for order from Amazon for international customers (Shout don't ship to the UK).

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Rangers...eywords=jetman
Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #25
Expert Member

Sep 2014
Northeast U.S.

Are there any more ‘realistic’ type Japanese superhero or occult type movies or tv series? What I mean is, is not giant monsters, men in mecha, or puffy suits, power rangers, ultra man etc. Not that there is any at all wrong with those, just curious if they have anything similar in tone, say, to the X-Men, or the X-Files, Superman, Batman etc
Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake2222 View Post
Are there any more ‘realistic’ type Japanese superhero or occult type movies or tv series? What I mean is, is not giant monsters, men in mecha, or puffy suits, power rangers, ultra man etc. Not that there is any at all wrong with those, just curious if they have anything similar in tone, say, to the X-Men, or the X-Files, Superman, Batman etc
You could try the live action movie of Gatchaman

Thanks given by:
Drake2222 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Of all the things to stumble across; UK station KMTV screened Destroy All Planets aka Gamera vs Viras on Saturday 7th July. It was dubbed and the picture quality was awful but it was also a lot of fun. Unfortunately I only caught the last few minutes of it.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 AM   #28
Expert Member

Sep 2014
Northeast U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
You could try the live action movie of Gatchaman

Gatchaman Japanese Trailer (2013) - Sci-Fi Action Movie HD - YouTube
Thanks for the idea and trailer, looks good! Hmm, I forgot there was also Casshern, that was excellent
Old 07-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #29
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
more ‘realistic’
Quote:
anything similar in tone, say, to the X-Men, or the X-Files, Superman, Batman etc
Old 07-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #30
Expert Member

Sep 2014
Northeast U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi666 View Post
Or if you prefer, ‘aimed at both young and adult audiences’, or perhaps ‘darker themed’, not sure how to word it. I think we can agree there are differences between various superhero movies
Old 07-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Thanks for the idea and trailer, looks good! Hmm, I forgot there was also Casshern, that was excellent
I remember watching Casshern years ago on DVD, am curious to revisit it after reading your comment.

If you watch Gatchaman I hope you'll post your thoughts here.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #32
Power Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Or if you prefer, ‘aimed at both young and adult audiences’, or perhaps ‘darker themed’, not sure how to word it. I think we can agree there are differences between various superhero movies
Kamen Rider Black then?

Or maybe Shin Kamen Rider. Or that Hakaider movie.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Yes I know it's CGI rather than the traditional Japanese suit acting but this trailer looks insane! Bravo to the director and all involved.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #34
Expert Member

Nov 2017

Happy to see this thread.

I don't know much about Power Rangers and the like, but I do love me some Godzilla. I've only seen a few of the movies as an adult, but I really feel they have held up very well, and when watching you can easily see why the Godzilla franchise lives on today.

If there are other Godzilla fans in here, I really cannot recommend Shin Godzilla enough. I absolutely loved it, and was disappointed it didn't get a 4k release in the USA, as importing the Japanese release is quite expensive.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #35

Apr 2011

Quote:
If you are looking for a darker, more adult tokusatsu series then check out GARO. Superb action choreography, stylish and fun. The original live action series finally got released on blu-ray here in the US:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Garo-...lu-ray/182285/

There are TV series, specials, movies and anime. Lots of good stuff to dig into.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kUltraBD View Post

I don't know much about Power Rangers and the like, but I do love me some Godzilla. I've only seen a few of the movies as an adult, but I really feel they have held up very well, and when watching you can easily see why the Godzilla franchise lives on today.

If there are other Godzilla fans in here, I really cannot recommend Shin Godzilla enough. I absolutely loved it, and was disappointed it didn't get a 4k release in the USA, as importing the Japanese release is quite expensive.
Welcome to the thread! I agree with you that the Godzilla movies have held up very well and I am eagerly awaiting the forthcoming Criterion releases of the Showa era movies.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #37
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kUltraBD View Post
If there is one Toku series to watch, it's Choujin Sentai Jetman. Such a great series. It's a good beginner Toku series, as well. It is the Super Sentai formula but perfected. Great pacing, good fight choreography, fantastic character development, haunting soundtrack, and stunning cinematography.

Each episode is about 20 minutes, but the OP and ED are about a minute each, and excluding recap and next episode previews, each episode is 17 or 18 minutes each, which makes it great for marathoning.

Shout! Factory is handling the release, so if you pre-order from their website, you get it 2 weeks early. Sadly, they don't ship internationally. Amazon does, and it's a bit cheaper, but you don't know if they'll ship it before release date or not.

Sadly, it's DVD only, but due to how these series were shot, Blu-ray won't help much (unless they do SD-BD like Discotek and their anime releases).
Old 07-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

Mirai Sentai Timeranger is coming out from Shout! Factory in a few days, and apparently the picture quality is really bad... I saw a review of the series (from Kaiju no Kami) and man is it terrible.

According to him, the R2 Toei DVDs look identical, and were released in 2004, and never remastered, so it's a heads up. The only other issue is that some subs go too fast. Other than that, it looks like a solid release.

Plus, it has the TV special which shows every previous Sentai team.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2017

For those wondering, here's the stats of Toei's Jetman DVDs;

(I have a fanmade set with the same files of the JP disc with English and Portuguese subtitles. It's the "Grownups in Spandex" translation for those curious)

Video:
480p MPEG-2
8640 kbps AVG (8.64 mbps)
9800 kbps MAX (9.8 mbps)

Audio:
Japanese Dolby Digital 2.0 384 kbps
(The audio is in a stereo track, but is dual mono. This is commonly done on DVDs, as early players couldn't handle 1.0 tracks at higher bitrates)

Jetman is from 1991, so it won't look as clear as a modern digital production. I'm not certain how it was shot, I've read it was done on high quality video tape like Doctor Who, but it has a very grainy appearance, so if I had to guess, a combination of 16mm film and high quality video tape may be the source. It looks pretty good, overall, if you understand the limitations.

It is very grainy. Very. But, being a (relatively) low budget TV series from the early 90s, you'd expect that. There is occasional print damage apparent, but it's only for a second or two at most. Pops up a few times per episode, but it's not a deal breaker. There is some aliasing that is extremely noticeable in some fast moving shots with planes, but it is only for a few frames, so you have to look closely for it. There is a lot of what looks like chromatic aberration, but it's not a stylistic choice, here. This shot is a good example:

It's kind of like the Doctor Who releases. Both series were cheaply made with poor video sources, so DVD is likely the best for both, unless a good upscale is done (The Tom Baker Blu-ray set looks nice, so I'm hoping Toei can do a similar BD set for Jetman- I'd buy it).

The audio is excellent. The bitrate is higher than I thought it would be- higher than what Criterion uses for their DVDs. Sound clarity is superb and compression is almost non-existent.

If I rated video on just what is given (no background information given), I'd give it either a 4 or 5/10. But, knowing the limitations, it's a 7 or 8/10. It could've been better encoded, but that's about as good as we'll get.

Seeing the stats of Toei's discs, there is no way Shout! can produce a 1:1 clone in terms of the exact files, but they could easily be on par, or even surpass them if the compressionist is good. (I'm hoping for the latter, but probably not)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
If there is one Toku series to watch, it's Choujin Sentai Jetman. Such a great series. It's a good beginner Toku series, as well. It is the Super Sentai formula but perfected. Great pacing, good fight choreography, fantastic character development, haunting soundtrack, and stunning cinematography.

Each episode is about 20 minutes, but the OP and ED are about a minute each, and excluding recap and next episode previews, each episode is 17 or 18 minutes each, which makes it great for marathoning.

Shout! Factory is handling the release, so if you pre-order from their website, you get it 2 weeks early. Sadly, they don't ship internationally. Amazon does, and it's a bit cheaper, but you don't know if they'll ship it before release date or not.

Sadly, it's DVD only, but due to how these series were shot, Blu-ray won't help much (unless they do SD-BD like Discotek and their anime releases).
Thank you for all your detailed posts particularly regarding the tech specs for Jetman. I have also seen the translation by Grown Up's in Spandex but I want to support these releases so will definitely add the DVD to my collection.

Jetman has been amongst my favourite Sentai since I first saw it a few years ago; the characters; their relationships; the suit and robot designs and some of the best villains ever. If I am recommending Sentai to people I always use tout this one.

A shame to hear about TimeRanger being a lacklustre release when it comes to image quality; I had seen TV Nihon's translation and noted at the time the picture quality wasn't great but I can deal with it if it means they keep on releasing more in the future. I don't know if this is heresy to say but I did find TimeRanger a bit draggy in the middle and the villains to not be as engaging as other series I have watched.

Time Fire is bad*ss though.

Thanks given by:
professorwho (07-30-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International