Best Prime Deals

Best Prime Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness UHD (Prime)
$9.99

Bullet Train (Prime)
$4.99

Nope UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Thor: Love and Thunder HD (Prime)
$9.99

Eternals HD (Prime)
$9.99

Black Widow (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Captain America: The Winter Soldier UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Doctor Strange UHD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Iron Man HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thor HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
Thor: Ragnarok HD (Prime)
$9.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video

Old 07-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore
Default The Perfect Storm - 1.85 on Prime UK.

So i found that a number of Warner titles are now back on Prime video in the UK, including a personal favourite, namely The Perfect Storm. I began watching it (the transfer was marginally better than the smeary bd of the same) but suddenly noticed that, unless i had done something wrong, the aspect ratio of the film was 1.85 instead of Wolfgang Petersen's original 2.35. This is the first time i've seen either a 'zoomed' presentation on Prime, or if the frame was opened up. Anyone?
Old 07-22-2020, 11:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
East Anglia, U.K.

I’ve had issues like that with Prime video. Green book’s ratio was stretched when I tried to watch it and I gave up and bought the Blu-ray.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Banned

Mar 2012
-
-
-

every streaming service has multiple films that are not in the correct AR. Its a real pain in the ass
Old 07-25-2020, 04:56 AM   #4

Apr 2020

Amazon seems to have a few Warner titles like that - Eraser, Executive Decision being a couple that come to mind. I know there were others as well, so I don't even bother watching older WB titles there anymore.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidyr View Post
Amazon seems to have a few Warner titles like that - Eraser, Executive Decision being a couple that come to mind. I know there were others as well, so I don't even bother watching older WB titles there anymore.
I'm a huge fan of the film, and the book by Sebastian Junger. Unfortunately, the blu ray transfer looks like it was done by the work experience guy, and is terrible. Really hoping that with this year being the film's 20th anniversary we can get it released in 4K...
Old 07-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
So i found that a number of Warner titles are now back on Prime video in the UK, including a personal favourite, namely The Perfect Storm. I began watching it (the transfer was marginally better than the smeary bd of the same) but suddenly noticed that, unless i had done something wrong, the aspect ratio of the film was 1.85 instead of Wolfgang Petersen's original 2.35. This is the first time i've seen either a 'zoomed' presentation on Prime, or if the frame was opened up. Anyone?
Without checking the specs, IIRC it was shot anamorphic so it's been cropped, not opened up.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Without checking the specs, IIRC it was shot anamorphic so it's been cropped, not opened up.
I gathered that myself; damn poor treatment of a first-class film. Prime really need to get their house in order. People have been leaving in droves with how poor their content is. (I paid for the full subscription for the year back in December.)
Old 12-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Banned

Feb 2017

'The Perfect Storm' was deffo 2.35:1 anamorphic when released. You're right the bluray and even the HD-DVD were 'average' at best.

As you rightly said... 2020 is the 20th anniversary of the film and it was a very successful movie back in 2000 (3rd biggest film of the year at the boxoffice!).

Hopefully, it will get a 4K UHD with a good remaster.

The special effects are even now... pretty ground-breaking and of course... the lovely Diane Lane (who plays Christina Cotter) always looks great in HD!
Old 12-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
Expert Member

Apr 2010

I would love to see The Perfect Storm and Twister released on 4K UHD. 2021 would be the 25th anniversary for Twister and both of them are distributed by Warner Brothers.

Last edited by Ryan1973; 12-08-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:14 PM   #10

Jan 2023
Send a message via AIM to AlfredLor Send a message via Yahoo to AlfredLor Send a message via Skype™ to AlfredLor
Default -

If i but the book, can be shipped to another country than US? because the other topic says only US...and on Amazon says the shipping is free which it must be only for the US
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video