Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Assassin's Creed 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
5 hrs ago
Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$82.26
20 hrs ago
Lifeforce 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
The Craft 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Cat People 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
Escape from New York 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
1 day ago
Fall (Blu-ray)
$10.99
5 hrs ago
Bodies Bodies Bodies (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 04-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2020
UK

I'm just sad that my ability to say...

"Her pants are blazing for you, Newton Crosby."

..in character is no longer PC.

Actually thinking about it doesn't Newton Crosby actually sound like a deliberately fake name you might expect in a Cronenberg film next to Darryl Revok, Max Renn and Seth Brundle?

Last edited by moreorless; 04-13-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:15 PM   #42

Dec 2015

Smokey and the Bandit.

I am old enough to remember the trucker CB craze but I didn’t find myself laughing at it much when I rewatched last year.
Thanks given by:
El Dopo (04-22-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 08:56 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post
Smokey and the Bandit.

I am old enough to remember the trucker CB craze but I didn’t find myself laughing at it much when I rewatched last year.
Yeah, I loved those movies when I was 7 or 8 years old but I look at them now and just scratch my head that these were smash hits with actual adults back in the day. The whole 70s "Hillbilly Chic" thing is such a bizarre mystery now. That was one weird, weird decade.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:23 AM   #44
Expert Member

Jun 2021
Manchester, GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by traths View Post
I would say Juno mostly because of the Elliott/Ellen Page thing.
Got to get my hearing tested, cos I seem to be hearing dog whistles all over the place these days.
Get a grip, let them be whoever they want/need to be without it interfering with your life. Doesn't change Juno, Super, Hard Candy or any of the other gems that Page has made.
Thanks given by:
GaragePoet (04-24-2022), MOONPHASE (08-20-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 05:03 AM   #45

Aug 2007
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dopo View Post
Got to get my hearing tested, cos I seem to be hearing dog whistles all over the place these days.
Get a grip, let them be whoever they want/need to be without it interfering with your life. Doesn't change Juno, Super, Hard Candy or any of the other gems that Page has made.
Yes, you do need to get your hearing tested!

The film is about a girl who gets pregnant, and the lead actress now identifies as a man. So of course it hasn't aged well!

You are right, it doesn't interfere with any of our lives directly, but if you sit down and watch Juno you're going to be thinking about it!

I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being a fantastic film. My mates at school were all raving about it. Michael Cera seemed very popular back then. I also remember seeing Youth In Revolt in a packed cinema and thinking it was awful!
Thanks given by:
RayRoy (09-02-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 05:43 AM   #46
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladriusse View Post
Yes, you do need to get your hearing tested!

The film is about a girl who gets pregnant, and the lead actress now identifies as a man. So of course it hasn't aged well!

You are right, it doesn't interfere with any of our lives directly, but if you sit down and watch Juno you're going to be thinking about it!

I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being a fantastic film. My mates at school were all raving about it. Michael Cera seemed very popular back then. I also remember seeing Youth In Revolt in a packed cinema and thinking it was awful!
I would disagree since I really don't think something that happens to one of the actors away from the movie would impact it not aging well. If it does, then just pick movies where one of the primary actors later is found out to be a murderer, rapist, or commits some other heinous crime. So any Bill Cosby comedy.
Thanks given by:
El Dopo (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 06:30 AM   #47

Aug 2007
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluVinyl View Post
I would disagree since I really don't think something that happens to one of the actors away from the movie would impact it not aging well. If it does, then just pick movies where one of the primary actors later is found out to be a murderer, rapist, or commits some other heinous crime. So any Bill Cosby comedy.
Yes there are two ways of looking at this 'hasn't aged well' phrase.

Some people think that 'hasn't aged well' means 'this film is now crap'.

I think of 'hasn't aged well' to mean 'that wouldn't be released in that manner today'. Page would not be cast in that role today for obvious reasons! Also you are likely to think about this at least once whilst watching Juno - which you could argue enhances or detracts from the film depending on your views.

One of my friends recently said that Hitch and I Am Legend 'haven't aged well'.

Has pre-DC James Bond aged well?!

Some of my favourite films haven't aged well!

I'll see if I can pick up Juno on Blu-ray, I want it in my collection now.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2019

Except for Rami's first Spider-man none of the Marvels films have aged well and instead look absurd with cartoonish CG.

JJ's Star Trek has also aged badly and is dead as a door-nail.

Godzilla vs King Kong? It will not be long from now that people will laugh at the CG and really dumb story.

Films that will age well: Watchmen, Birdman, Spotlight and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Last edited by Deadend45; 04-24-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:25 AM   #49
Special Member

Sep 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
Lol.
Indeed...

This is all very subjective and quite far from actual fact. What era one was born also comes in to play when it comes to film or music.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:02 AM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

Luc Besson's The Lady: when he made it Aung Sang Suu Kyi was a modern saint and Nobel laureate, six years later she was arresting reporters and an unapologetic handmaiden to genocide. It was widely dismissed as a maudlin hagiography at the time but it's fair to say it's become a major embarrassment with age.
Thanks given by:
magnusbe (08-28-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 02:32 AM   #51
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Yes there are two ways of looking at this 'hasn't aged well' phrase.

Some people think that 'hasn't aged well' means 'this film is now crap'.

I think of 'hasn't aged well' to mean 'that wouldn't be released in that manner today'. Page would not be cast in that role today for obvious reasons! Also you are likely to think about this at least once whilst watching Juno - which you could argue enhances or detracts from the film depending on your views.

One of my friends recently said that Hitch and I Am Legend 'haven't aged well'.

Has pre-DC James Bond aged well?!

Some of my favourite films haven't aged well!

I'll see if I can pick up Juno on Blu-ray, I want it in my collection now.
Page wouldn't be the main character in Juno now for two reasons, the second being too old. Personally I don't really think of the actors personal life when I watch TV or movies. I despise the politics of Charlton Heston but I own about 5 of his BD's.

I was thinking not aged well that the movie was crap, not that it would need to be made differently now. Think of most older movies/TV shows lack of diversity, woman in mostly subservient, stereotypes, etc, and a lot of stuff would have need to be redone if reissued. Two of the last series I bought on BD, Monty Python and the Flintstones had some extremely problematic issues.

I think except the Sean Connery, Lazenby, and a couple of Roger Moore Bond movies aged well. As they got into more silly gimmicks, I didn't like them much when they were coming out and I never bought those.
Thanks given by:
El Dopo (05-02-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 06:54 AM   #52
Special Member

Sep 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluVinyl View Post
Page wouldn't be the main character in Juno now for two reasons, the second being too old. Personally I don't really think of the actors personal life when I watch TV or movies. I despise the politics of Charlton Heston but I own about 5 of his BD's.
Spot on.

And the Connery 007 movies may not have aged well in one respect, but they're dear to me because I saw them around the time when they were released, so there's that nostalgic thing going on. So for me they have have aged well because they're solidly made and still entertaining. Plus they were groundbreaking at the time. And I definitely can't say that about all the films around I saw at the age. Some haven't aged well to me, but plenty of others have and likely due to them being so well made and/or still relevant in themes.
Thanks given by:
BluVinyl (05-07-2022), El Dopo (05-02-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 05:38 AM   #53

Nov 2021
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post
Smokey and the Bandit.

I am old enough to remember the trucker CB craze but I didnít find myself laughing at it much when I rewatched last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipemonkey View Post
Yeah, I loved those movies when I was 7 or 8 years old but I look at them now and just scratch my head that these were smash hits with actual adults back in the day. The whole 70s "Hillbilly Chic" thing is such a bizarre mystery now. That was one weird, weird decade.
I'm in my early 30's, and I still watch that first one regularly...mostly for Burt Reynolds and the Trans Am, though. The music is fun too...it's like the American version of The Italian Job: the story may not have held up amazingly well, but you've got some good actors/performances, fun car chases and a catchy soundtrack. They're just fun movies
Thanks given by:
Rzzzz (08-20-2022), stickyaisles (09-19-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2016
Behind enemy lines

Every single film starring this no talent hack....

[Show spoiler]
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (09-04-2022), Darkstream (10-13-2022), jobiwan24 (08-26-2022), NDcowboy (08-20-2022), Red Dragon (09-04-2022), Robbie The Robot (08-20-2022), stickyaisles (09-19-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 08:24 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
Also you are likely to think about this at least once whilst watching Juno - which you could argue enhances or detracts from the film depending on your views.
If you're focused on the actor instead of the character you're missing the point of movies.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:03 AM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniRyder23 View Post
I'm in my early 30's, and I still watch that first one regularly...mostly for Burt Reynolds and the Trans Am, though. The music is fun too...it's like the American version of The Italian Job: the story may not have held up amazingly well, but you've got some good actors/performances, fun car chases and a catchy soundtrack. They're just fun movies
I don't disagree about the movie. Burt Reynolds was at peak-charisma and could pretty much carry anything back then. What I was referring to mostly was the CB-and-Redneck Craze that literally took over America in the 70s. Lasted right up until around 1980-81 when Urban Cowboy seemed to finally burn out the last of the enthusiasm (thank God). It was really WEIRD seeing people in big cities who'd probably never come within 100 miles of an actual cow or horse running around in Stetson hats, skin-tight starched blue jeans and sh*t-kicker boots. Very strange indeed.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:44 AM   #57
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzzzz View Post

[Show spoiler]
this is about films not aging well... not films that were always unwatchable!
Thanks given by:
Darkstream (10-13-2022), Red Dragon (09-04-2022), Rzzzz (09-04-2022), stickyaisles (09-19-2022), ZombieTwin2 (09-09-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
United Kingdom
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzzzz View Post

[Show spoiler]
Except Observe and Report.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:48 AM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2016
Behind enemy lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMario9 View Post
Except Observe and Report.
Sure, ok....
Old 10-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2020
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Luc Besson's The Lady: when he made it Aung Sang Suu Kyi was a modern saint and Nobel laureate, six years later she was arresting reporters and an unapologetic handmaiden to genocide. It was widely dismissed as a maudlin hagiography at the time but it's fair to say it's become a major embarrassment with age.
Although honestly I think it stands as much as a monument to the western fantasy that she was ever actually running the country, just a figurehead for the military used to get sanctions dropped.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International