Best Prime Deals

Best Prime Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Highlander UHD (Prime)
$5.99
13 hrs ago
Jurassic Park UHD (Prime)
$4.99
1 day ago
Jurassic Park HD (Prime)
$4.99
1 day ago
Black Adam HD (Prime)
$12.99

Double Indemnity HD (Prime)
$4.99

8 Mile HD (Prime)
$4.99
16 hrs ago
Double Indemnity (Prime)
$4.99

Waterworld UHD (Prime)
$4.99
1 day ago
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou HD (Prime)
$4.99

Waterworld HD (Prime)
$4.99
1 day ago
Big Trouble In Little China HD (Prime)
$4.99

Big Trouble In Little China (Prime)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video

Old 10-31-2020, 04:19 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
Alright. Well if you consider going through all those hoops and playing the games without any updates or patches as "owning", well more power to you. I personally don't, since I know what my ownership rights are.
By not downloading patches I'm actually doing less than most people. I simply put the game in my console and it runs great, just like I've done with every game console as far back as the NES and just like I do my all of my Blu-rays and DVDs. How can doing less possibly be considered "going through all those hoops"?

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 10-31-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:30 AM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
Alright. Well if you consider going through all those hoops and playing the games without any updates or patches as "owning", well more power to you. I personally don't, since I know what my ownership rights are.
What hoops? I simply insert the disc into my console and it runs great.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:48 AM   #43
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
There are two possible scenarios:

A) People will lose some of their purchased digital movies.

B) All studios and content providers will continue to support every digital movie they've ever released for all time.

What in the history of the world could possibly make anyone think that scenario B is more likely?
VUDU Terms and Conditions used to say you would have access for at least three years but that wording is gone. Most T&C begin now with a ďyou agree not to sue usĒ clause.

These online libraries need maintenance. Itís fantasyland to think you can redeem a code and that content will be available long term.

A new thing called pay us by the minute (subscription) is popular and could affect the EST model.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:11 PM   #44
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Nothing is future proof, not even physical media. There's no guarantee that Blu-ray players will be manufactured 10, 20 or even 30 years from now. So great that you have a physical copy, but what if you can no longer buy a player for it?

I'm not saying digital is better than physical or vice versa. I'm just saying that nothing is guaranteed to last forever.
The next gen consoles will all be disc players. Even considering a 6-8 year lifespan for the consoles before the following generation, they always stick around for another 3-4 years as gaming machine and tend to last decades as disc players. Mine certainly have.

It’s no exaggeration to say that consoles (if used as disc players) would last 20 years. Or even if they stopped working after 10, (rare) you could still get another just to be safe.

We are good for 20 years at the very least.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #45
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltb2.0 View Post
That's definitely not good. Makes me want to purchase physical even more than before
Same here. I've been ratcheting up my Blu-ray purchases lately, especially on older titles from Shout, Arrow, and 88, that are likely to go OOP in the years to come. Hit over 1,000 today.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (10-31-2020), CrowKiller (10-31-2020), jkoffman (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #46
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
VUDU Terms and Conditions used to say you would have access for at least three years but that wording is gone. Most T&C begin now with a ďyou agree not to sue usĒ clause.

These online libraries need maintenance. Itís fantasyland to think you can redeem a code and that content will be available long term.

A new thing called pay us by the minute (subscription) is popular and could affect the EST model.
Pay by the minute? How could that affect EST? Surely you still have to pay for the whole film?
Thanks given by:
bhampton (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #47
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007

When I say pay by the minute I mean subscription services which work in that very way.

You subscribe and pay perpetually.

It’s like the toll booths on the highway, money just pours in.

That’s what I want to be, a toll booth owner or an orthodontist. Those are both good.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #48
Power Member

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
The next gen consoles will all be disc players. Even considering a 6-8 year lifespan for the consoles before the following generation, they always stick around for another 3-4 years as gaming machine and tend to last decades as disc players. Mine certainly have.

Itís no exaggeration to say that consoles (if used as disc players) would last 20 years. Or even if they stopped working after 10, (rare) you could still get another just to be safe.

People also fail to realize that even if everything stopped using discs today, there's still billions of things, as in total amount of game consoles and players floating around, that will play these discs still and will long after we're dead. There's literally no reason to worry about not being able to play physical media in our lifetime. Hell... I have at least 10 ways to play discs as of today.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #49
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKiller View Post
People also fail to realize that even if everything stopped using discs today, there's still billions of things, as in total amount of game consoles and players floating around, that will play these discs still and will long after we're dead. There's literally no reason to worry about not being able to play physical media in our lifetime. Hell... I have at least 10 ways to play discs as of today.
Itís safe as houses as we say in England. I wouldnít be buying 70-80 discs a year if I thought I wouldnít have access any time soon!
Thanks given by:
CrowKiller (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
There are two possible scenarios:

A) People will lose some of their purchased digital movies.

B) All studios and content providers will continue to support every digital movie they've ever released for all time.

What in the history of the world could possibly make anyone think that scenario B is more likely?
I don't know about you, but I don't plan to be around "for all time". Nor am I interested in the same movies as 20 years ago ...
Old 10-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #51
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
I don't know about you, but I don't plan to be around "for all time". Nor am I interested in the same movies as 20 years ago ...
I was just watching Batman Returns from 1992 (28 years ago) and enjoyed it so much I feel it belongs in my top 10. It’s amazing how some things that are “good” kind of remain good.

So digital movies are good because they let you (make you) watch new things instead of same old stuff and so good you look forward to being dead? It’s not that bad.

Last edited by bhampton; 10-31-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:44 AM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017

Quote:
If you only care about new movies and TV shows then digital is just fine. But I like plenty of old movies and TV shows and physical media is the only way to ensure that they remain available to everyone after official support has ended.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #53
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:

It’s no exaggeration to say that consoles (if used as disc players) would last 20 years. Or even if they stopped working after 10, (rare) you could still get another just to be safe.

I won’t argue with that. I’m really amazed at how disc players rarely fail. In fact, my first DVD player from 2000 never died, but I just chucked it as I upgraded to an upconverting DVD player in 2007. And that upconverting player still works... 13 years old and still going strong (that’s the Sony DVD player in my signature). Ive used it a lot too so I’m pretty amazing how durable these disc players are. Even my PS2 never died but I just sold it as I don’t play video games anymore.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2019
SE Michigan

To basically echo many above... IMO, anyone who is "collecting" digital content and not using it solely as a portable convenience, is likely in for a rude awakening some time in the not too distant future.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (11-01-2020), CreasyBear (11-05-2020), Steedeel (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #55
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I wonít argue with that. Iím really amazed at how disc players rarely fail. In fact, my first DVD player from 2000 never died, but I just chucked it as I upgraded to an upconverting DVD player in 2007. And that upconverting player still works... 13 years old and still going strong (thatís the Sony DVD player in my signature). Ive used it a lot too so Iím pretty amazing how durable these disc players are. Even my PS2 never died but I just sold it as I donít play video games anymore.
The Sony players are beasts. I had a 735D back in the day. It cost £450 but has lasted 20 years. My sister has it now. Beautiful, smooth disc mechanism, brushed metal finish, fantastic build quality, frame by frame jog shuttle remote, the list goes on.

It was also cool that you could use any scene grab as a screensaver also.

I have a Pioneer UHD player now with the PS4 as back up. (Will be PS5 as backup soon).
Thanks given by:
bhampton (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
If you only care about new movies and TV shows then digital is just fine.
I never said I only care for new movies. Just that my interests change over time. I never expected my VHS tapes, Laserdiscs, DVDs, HD-DVDs or Blu-rays to be playable "for all time". Why would I expect this from a digital store? A few decades is all I need. You can't take your discs with you when you go.
Quote:
But I like plenty of old movies and TV shows and physical media is the only way to ensure that they remain available to everyone after official support has ended.
I have absolutely no reason to believe that digital stores will somehow "end support" for old movies. In fact, just yesterday I watched a 56 year old movie on iTunes called Robinson Crusoe on Mars. I doubt that very many people watch this somewhat obscure movie, and yet iTunes keeps it around. Cloud storage is cheap (in contrast to the cost of manufacturing and warehousing discs for less popular movies).

Last edited by Fiffy; 11-01-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanJGE View Post
To basically echo many above... IMO, anyone who is "collecting" digital content and not using it solely as a portable convenience, is likely in for a rude awakening some time in the not too distant future.
We've been hearing this for years now ...
Thanks given by:
iamprestige (07-14-2021)
Old 11-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #58
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
We've been hearing this for years now ...
And you will see what happens when the subscription streaming war heats up. Bookmark this if you like.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
And you will see what happens when the subscription streaming war heats up. Bookmark this if you like.
We've been hearing this from you for years too. Also still waiting for all the people watching movies on their smart watches at 2x speed that you predicted.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #60
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
We've been hearing this from you for years too. Also still waiting for all the people watching movies on their smart watches at 2x speed that you predicted.
Well, we have seen Disney+, Warner Media, Apple TV+ and Peacock form recently. Films will be behind a walled garden.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Amazon Prime Video