Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Army of Darkness (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
The Menu (iTunes)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
I Know What You Did Last Summer (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
Red Rocket (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
Fantastic Beasts 3-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Kingdom of Heaven (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
The Worst Person in the World (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
Commando (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
Pulp Fiction (iTunes)
$6.99
12 hrs ago
Thor 4-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$34.99

Some Like It Hot (iTunes)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 01-03-2021, 02:47 AM   #1
Banned

Jul 2018
Default New AppleTV

I find myself in need of a second AppleTV.

There are rumours that a new model is in the way.

Is there any evidence to back this rumour up?
Old 01-03-2021, 03:18 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

There is evidence from early 2020 that Apple is working on a new model (see here). But nobody outside Apple knows when it might be released.
Thanks given by:
OneQuestionMan (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 03:33 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQuestionMan View Post

Being an Apple owner is living with continuous rumors of an impending new release.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (01-03-2021), OneQuestionMan (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 03:40 AM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008

3rd gen released 2012.

4th gen released 2015.

5th gen released 2017.

We only really got the 5th gen because 4K was becoming a viable format for digital. Apple even added Apple TV+ to the 3rd gen. With this pattern, there may be a new box or Apple could just tweak the UI for the 4th and 5th gens as they did with TVOS 13 and 14.
Thanks given by:
OneQuestionMan (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011

Is there a possibility that the next generation Apple TV 4K will increase the picture or sound quality? If not I won't bother to upgrade. I don't care about the UI or games.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
Banned

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
There is evidence from early 2020 that Apple is working on a new model (see here). But nobody outside Apple knows when it might be released.
Yes I know only Apple knows and that people here would be guessing but was hoping for educated guessing.

I only realised later that while this can be possible for iPhones and Macs die to the frequency with which new versions are realised that it is impossible to make educated guesses for a decide like AppleTV that rarely gets upgraded.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
Banned

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu128 View Post
Being an Apple owner is living with continuous rumors of an impending new release.
Yes but for AppleTV it ins continuous lack of rumours.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
Netherlands

I was waiting and waiting and waiting and I got tired of waiting and bought the 2017 model.
I hope they're still doing a new one in 2021, but I think AppleTv is really low on their priority list.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
Banned

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
3rd gen released 2012.

4th gen released 2015.

5th gen released 2017.

We only really got the 5th gen because 4K was becoming a viable format for digital. Apple even added Apple TV+ to the 3rd gen. With this pattern, there may be a new box or Apple could just tweak the UI for the 4th and 5th gens as they did with TVOS 13 and 14.
Maybe there is very little that can be done to improve AppleTV hardware. It y it s already perfect.

It would probably be mid-February before I could buy a second unit so Iíll assess then whether I want to wait another few weeks.

Thanks to you all.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #10

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQuestionMan View Post

Considering the high price of the AppleTV, and the fact that Apple are slowly rolling out their AppleTV+ app to various products, might it be worth looking into getting a different dongle instead of a new AppleTV box?

I have an AppleTV 4k myself, but the device I'm keeping a close eye on now is Googles new Chromecast. The only app its missing is the AppleTV+ app, but that is supposed to be coming to it early this year (see this article: https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/16/...1-announcement)

Its only $50, but is Wifi only, so I'd be shelling out for the additional ethernet adaptor too (I prefer my devices wired for stability).
Old 01-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #11

Jan 2012

It's certainly not 'already perfect' and made sense a couple of years ago as the only way to view Itunes movies - but now we have ATV apps.

In fact LG TV apps have been as least as good as ATV 4K apps - supporting YouTube and iPlayer in 4K HLG for example

Since blu-ray and streaming paying more for a device gets you more features and build quality not better picture and sound although owners will want to believe it does and gets a higher bit-rate or so on

With series XS and PS5 it makes little sense as a gaming device too.

It's possible that a new model will support HDMI 2.1 if Apple are interested in moving towards 8K streaming.

But without a real need you're better off using TV apps or a cheaper stick and put the money towards buying more films.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011

My entire digital movie collection is on iTunes so I'm locked into the Apple eco system.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

Yes, a new model is on the way. No, I have no release date. The chipset tech hasn't been nailed down yet and Apple is in the process of securing foundry space for their upcoming chips to be used in new products. The new ATV will be more gaming oriented, with a more powerful SOC like the one in the new Mac products, have WiFI 6, AV1 decoding for streaming/downloads, and maybe some other improvements.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #14
Special Member

Jun 2007

Am I correct that the Apple TV apps (not Apple TV box) still do not allow access to extras/menus etc? If so, having the hardware is still a better option.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #15
Expert Member

Dec 2012
Oshawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderAE View Post
Am I correct that the Apple TV apps (not Apple TV box) still do not allow access to extras/menus etc? If so, having the hardware is still a better option.
Yes thatís is the downfall of the app, so if you have director cut as an extra you wonít be able to view it as well. I also read, canít verify myself, that the bit rates are lower on the app as well but Iím not sure.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #16

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderAE View Post
I actually wasn't aware of this! Would certainly give me pause before moving away from the hardware completely.

Also, not to derail this thread, but for those who have access to Movies Anywhere (its not available here in Ireland), is it the same case that you have a slightly lesser experience through as on the app, as opposed to accessing through the Apple hardware? Just curious!
Old 01-03-2021, 02:45 PM   #17
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Liverpool, UK

Not having native access to the extras is a pain in the backside, I have a 4th gen model so no 4k and I packed it away when I got my 4k TV with the app installed. I can airplay the extras from my iPad direct to the TV (Samsung) but it's such a bother and doesn't feel as fun... I have recently plugged my Apple TV back into the TV Screen so that I can watch the Lord of the Rings features easier.

Very almost bought a 4k model this weekend but I have a feeling a new model is going to come out by Q2 so I'll just hold off until then.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmblueocean81 View Post
Considering the high price of the AppleTV, and the fact that Apple are slowly rolling out their AppleTV+ app to various products, might it be worth looking into getting a different dongle instead of a new AppleTV box?

I have an AppleTV 4k myself, but the device I'm keeping a close eye on now is Googles new Chromecast. The only app its missing is the AppleTV+ app, but that is supposed to be coming to it early this year (see this article: https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/16/...1-announcement)

Its only $50, but is Wifi only, so I'd be shelling out for the additional ethernet adaptor too (I prefer my devices wired for stability).
I bought a Chromecast with Google TV a few months ago. Itís really great and if you get the bundle with six months of Netflix included when purchasing on the Google site you only pay around $12 for the actual Chromecast itself... pretty much a steal. I also own an Apple TV.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #19
Banned

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmblueocean81 View Post

I have no desire to read about your dongle, thank you very much.

Iím 100% Apple. And the AppleTV has all my viewing needs.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #20
Banned

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Yes, a new model is on the way. No, I have no release date. The chipset tech hasn't been nailed down yet and Apple is in the process of securing foundry space for their upcoming chips to be used in new products. The new ATV will be more gaming oriented, with a more powerful SOC like the one in the new Mac products, have WiFI 6, AV1 decoding for streaming/downloads, and maybe some other improvements.
Thanks.

So what does not having a chipset nailed down, foundry space, etc mean for a release date?

Is it much further off than the rumoured March? Like later in the year? And I am just just realising that an announcement in March doesn’t mean a release in March. It could months again before a release.

Last edited by OneQuestionMan; 01-03-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes