Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Naked Lunch 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99
5 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Naked Lunch (Blu-ray)
£24.99
1 day ago
House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99
1 day ago
House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Maniac (Blu-ray)
£15.00
14 hrs ago
The Hunger Games: Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£68.54
1 day ago
The Matrix Resurrections 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.14
1 day ago
Vigilante (Blu-ray)
£15.00
14 hrs ago
Beast (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Fall (Blu-ray)
£10.00
14 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #41
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybeats View Post
It'll be on the Iplayer, you can watch it for free you don't need to buy the boxset.
He might want to own it and watch a picture that can handle large patches of colour without breaking up.
Thanks given by:
minister_x (05-03-2021), Voltaire53 (06-09-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #42
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

All comes down to rewatch-ability for me. If I plan on watching something then I’ll grab it in the best medium. Streaming is convenient, so it’s great as a ‘try before you buy’ aid, but other than that it’s vastly inferior to blu ray.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (05-03-2021), minister_x (05-03-2021), Steedeel (05-03-2021), Voltaire53 (06-09-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #43
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008
-
-

Quote:
It'll be on the Iplayer, you can watch it for free...
In stunning Lego Vision, no less...
Thanks given by:
Aclea (05-03-2021), Fat Phil (05-05-2021), minister_x (05-03-2021), Steedeel (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #44
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
All comes down to rewatch-ability for me. If I plan on watching something then I’ll grab it in the best medium. Streaming is convenient, so it’s great as a ‘try before you buy’ aid, but other than that it’s vastly inferior to blu ray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
In stunning Lego Vision, no less...
Waited months to get Hannibal on Blu-Ray even though it was on Sky. When a friend asked why I waited, I replied “Why Wouldn’t I’? The show is a work of art.
Thanks given by:
minister_x (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 01:25 AM   #45
Special Member

Oct 2012
Glasgow, Scotland

Internet these days is fine. Most people have fibre broadband, GBs of data literally within minutes, there is no breaking up of picture or it being vastly inferior. The picture quality is great and it's television, once you've seen it that's it, no one sits and rewatches TV shows when they know the ending. TV is disposable. It's like watching live sport, once you know the score that's it, that's you done for the week until the next game.

Last edited by crazybeats; 05-04-2021 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK

Internet speeds aren't often the issue, though - all depends on how compressed the BBC streams are (and they are quite compressed, catering for varying customer Internet speeds). Even Netflix, which has one of the most efficient compression mechanisms of the streaming services, still exhibits stunning Lego Vision from time to time - most frequently in busy action scenes, or scenes involving a lot of movement (e.g., flickering fires). The services aren't intended to be as detail-accurate as they can (unlike a decent blu) - they're intended to be sufficiently watchable, in a high enough quality they can get away with for the size of the streaming data they are willing to provide. (Unless they are Channel 4, in which case streaming quality isn't even an afterthought! )
Thanks given by:
Aclea (05-05-2021), zallzed (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
UK

Quote:
The picture quality is great and it's television, once you've seen it that's it, no one sits and rewatches TV shows when they know the ending.
What a ridiculous thing to say! I've watched my favourite TV shows many times over. If anything, TV programmes are more re-watchable than movies because you don't remember all the little details. It's easy to remember a 2-hour film, but how could you possibly remember 100-hours + of a long-running TV series?

Last edited by Spiderwalk; 10-06-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (05-05-2021), Blu Lemmy (05-05-2021), BluRyan (07-22-2021), cipher (10-05-2021), CouncilSpectre (05-05-2021), hagios (05-05-2021), John.Gotti (05-05-2021), KiLLPaTRiCK (05-06-2021), Mattmck99 (05-05-2021), minister_x (05-05-2021), Owenjohnston (05-05-2021), paulboland (06-01-2021), prophecygirl (05-05-2021), zallzed (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013

Quote:
Internet these days is fine. Most people have fibre broadband, GBs of data literally within minutes, there is no breaking up of picture or it being vastly inferior. The picture quality is great and it's television, once you've seen it that's it, no one sits and rewatches TV shows when they know the ending. TV is disposable. It's like watching live sport, once you know the score that's it, that's you done for the week until the next game.
I read a lot of nonsense on the internet but this takes the biscuit.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (05-05-2021), BluRyan (07-22-2021), cipher (10-05-2021), prophecygirl (05-05-2021), Steedeel (05-31-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #49

Sep 2018

Quote:
No point rewatching any form of tv or movie I guess. I mean if you have seen the ending so what’s the point of rewatching anything
Thanks given by:
Aclea (05-05-2021), gap (05-05-2021), Spiderwalk (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

Quote:
TV is disposable. It's like watching live sport, once you know the score that's it, that's you done for the week until the next game.
That sounds uncannily like some people's attitude to their fastidiously scheduled but resolutely unenthusiastic once a week shag.
Thanks given by:
gap (05-05-2021), Spiderwalk (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #51
Special Member

Nov 2007
-
-
-

I gotta' say, I recorded season 6 and watched the lot in one sitting.... and it was pretty average imho. Not half as suspenseful as previous seasons. There has to be another season for crying out loud.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:20 PM   #52
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

The whole ‘H’ thing has been a millstone around their neck for years. Should never have been a thing IMO.

Now, they’ve either wrapped it up in the most un-stunning way possible, or they’ve made things even worse (Ha! Here’s ‘H’, finally, but surprise, there’s someone even higher up pulling their strings - FFS?! ).

I want another season, largely because it feels so incomplete after that ‘last’ episode, but after that probably best that it finishes.
Thanks given by:
minister_x (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #53

Jun 2019
Kent,UK

Quote:
The whole ‘H’ thing has been a millstone around their neck for years. Should never have been a thing IMO.

Now, they’ve either wrapped it up in the most un-stunning way possible, or they’ve made things even worse (Ha! Here’s ‘H’, finally, but surprise, there’s someone even higher up pulling their strings - FFS?! ).

I want another season, largely because it feels so incomplete after that ‘last’ episode, but after that probably best that it finishes.
Yes i was seriously underwhelmed by the whole series, absolutely adored most of the earlier ones, probably another example of a show that has gone on too long and become a victim of it's own success.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #54
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

Quote:

I learned from The X-Files (which I still haven't got past season four or five after loving the early standalone episodes) and season two of Twin Peaks that there were some shows that were writing themselves into a corner with their escalating mythology that they could never satisfactorily write their way out of. It's why I never even started watching Lost or Game of Thrones because inevitable disappointing resolution was hardwired into their DNA from the very beginning.

I missed the early seasons of LoD, but by the time it became a big talking point the whole H thing put me off investing in watching the first three seasons because I figured it'd all end in tears.

Last edited by Aclea; 05-05-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
minister_x (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
I learned from The X-Files (which I still haven't got past season four or five after loving the early standalone episodes) and season two of Twin Peaks that there were some shows that were writing themselves into a corner with their escalating mythology that they could never satisfactorily write their way out of. It's why I never even started watching Lost or Game of Thrones because inevitable disappointing resolution was hardwired into their DNA from the very beginning.

I missed the early seasons of LoD, but by the time it became a big talking point the whole H thing put me off investing in watching the first three seasons because I figured it'd all end in tears.
Funny, if you just watched seasons 1-3, they pretty much tie everything up at the end. All the H stuff comes after that and definitely got too convoluted to be effective (and I say this as someone who liked the finale). I would definitely recommend 1-3 as a stand-alone mini-series: superb writing and acting and not too many ridiculous bits compared to what comes after.

Last edited by gap; 05-05-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (05-05-2021), minister_x (05-05-2021), Pochacco (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #56
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2016
Los Angeles, California

Haven’t watched the new season yet. But end of season 3 was definitely my favorite. I liked 4 and 5 but they felt weaker. I have an appreciation of 5 purely for the casting of Stephen Graham.

Seeing this discussion has gotten me to want to rewatch the whole show though.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #57
Special Member

Oct 2012
Glasgow, Scotland

The only kind of TV I would rewatch is sitcoms. The vast majority of people watch something once and that's it, it's done, there's thousands of TV channels and apps with thousands more shows and movies to watch. This isn't 20 years ago where you're stuck for choice. They're always something else to watch. Even on Youtube, tons of free stuff on Youtube, lots of 4K stuff on there too.

I don't believe internet is an issue unless you have multiple people using the same connection and even then it wouldn't matter, it wouldn't even need to be HD, it could SD and that would be fine for most people. It's TV. It's free. This is why DVD is still king, people just want to watch it and be done with it. This whole thing of watching movies over and over and TV shows over and over is not common. I can't believe my eyes when I see it at £49.99 on top of the screen but people will pay it.

What it does more than anything is makes it more obvious to me why my physical collection is now simply the two drawers on my TV stand and why my physical music collection of LPs, CDs and tapes is a lot smaller. I think the older I get the more my priorities have changed. I can't imagine it. I can't put myself or even imagine myself in the shoes of someone paying £50 for something that's on my TV for free....in pretty much the same picture and sound quality. It's like HMV charging nearly £30 for records that were £12.99 in October. One one hand you feel like the piss is being taken right out of you and on the other I need a reality check and realise.....there's people that wont bat an eyelid and pay those prices. That's why it is that way.

Even for the sake of a discussion I can't imagine it. Here at my desk I can't do it. Then I see Harry Potter at £80! It absolutely blows my mind. I wont say I'm right and you're all wrong. I just think it's to do with me and in the last year I've sold tons of stuff on Ebay, been selling stuff for the last few weeks too trying to cash in as much as I can, a lot of stuff just doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I just look at those prices and I just don't see myself in that crowd anymore and I used to collect loads, now I'm trying to get as much money as I can back. I just want stuff that I can watch and enjoy but I don't get the whole TV show thing. I'm a Twin Peaks fan too......and when that original slip box set starts selling for a lot of money I'll sell that too. It's not as if I'm contradicting myself.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #58

Sep 2018

I certainly disagree that there's no tv shows worth rewatching and that people don't ever rewatch them. But I think crazybeats is right that the vast majority of people don't revisit tv dramas or have the need to own them. The time investment in a long running series is significant too, especially with so much new material being produced.

The "legovision" comment was pretty funny but again he's right that most people simply don't care enough about picture quality.

That said, the "just get it over with" post was amazing.

Quote:
I think the older I get the more my priorities have changed. I can't imagine it. I can't put myself or even imagine myself in the shoes of someone paying £50 for something that's on my TV for free....in pretty much the same picture and sound quality.
Well here's a thought to really blow your mind- there's a good chance that after spending the £50, the boxset will sit on the collector's shelf unwatched and possibly still in the cellophane.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #59
Power Member

Jul 2010
Coventry, UK

Quote:
something that's on my TV for free....
It's not exactly free though is it? Licence fee, plus some pay for Sky/BT etc to get exclusive shows.

I'm definitely cutting back myself on impulse buys and being more selective but I still prefer to buy when the price is right. I'm not a fan of these big high priced editions, would rather wait for a standard release which removes the tat.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #60

Jul 2014

http://www.aimpublicity.com/release.asp?filmid=1214

Looks look the 1-6 blu ray set has been shelved. According to the press release the boxset is only getting a dvd release on 31st of may.
Thanks given by:
minister_x (05-08-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland