Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00
12 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Elvis 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.99
1 day ago
Westworld: Season Four - The Choice (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£28.33

The Matrix Resurrections 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.78
1 day ago
Last Action Hero 4K (Blu-ray)
£11.99

Terrifier: The Bloody Duo - Two Film Collection (Blu-ray)
£14.99

The Revenant (Blu-ray)
£1.90

Electric Dragon 80.000 V (Blu-ray)
£24.99
1 day ago
The Final Programme (Blu-ray)
£14.99
1 day ago
Punk Samurai (Blu-ray)
£24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-25-2021, 11:28 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich
United Kingdom Sound of Metal - May 31st 2021

One of the big Oscar contenders tonight is being released on Blu-ray by Sony at the end of next month. There's a Criterion edition planned for 2022, but I don't know if any other territories will do a Blu-ray. Sony's previous UK release of Amazon titles like The Boys and Honey Boy were Region B, so I'm not sure this will be region free.

Quote:
Riz Ahmed stars as a troubled heavy metal drummer in this drama directed by Darius Marder. Former drug addict Ruben (Ahmed), who performs as one half of the duo Blackgammon with his girlfriend Lou (Olivia Cooke), has his life upended when he suddenly loses his hearing. Forced to cancel their tour, Ruben remains in denial about his prognosis until he attends a support group for the deaf where he learns to embrace his new reality.
https://store.hmv.com/store/film-tv/...sound-of-metal

Based on Sony's history, I would be surprised if this had extras, maybe the odd promotional featurette that's easily found on YouTube, but I would be shocked if they produced extras or even had EPK interviews they could include in lieu of anything else. I'm sure there might be some good festival Q&As they probably won't include though.

Interesting to note how weird release times are with the pandemic. The film was originally set for 29th January in UK cinemas, was released on Prime Video on 12th April, will be in cinemas on 17th May (so hopefully I'll be able to see it on the big screen?), and then released on disc 31st May.

Vertigo Releasing are putting this in cinemas so I thought they might license this out to Second Sight for a Blu-ray (Vertigo are also responsible for the UK cinema and VOD release of Host), but I guess this is the best we'll get.

Last edited by BigNickUK; 04-26-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Since it's being put out by Sony, surely they might do what they did with Certain Women and release the Criterion disc shortly after? This could just be an awards-triggered release to get some sales (for those that don't use streaming).

Great film, by the way. Really impressive filmmaking, writing, acting, sound design...all of it, basically. Riz Ahmed was electric in the lead role. Paul Raci was very good, subtle first-time actor. Cooke and Amalric have rarely been this interesting either. Great stuff, will definitely watch again!
Thanks given by:
CelestialAgent (04-26-2021), ReSe2k (05-21-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #3

Apr 2014

Looked great on Prime. Will definitely keep an eye out for a nice physical release.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:03 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

Back cover posted which confirms this should be barebones. Shame especially as the recorded Q&A in the cinema was quite good but a physical release is better than nothing. Stage 6 Films was one of the production companies, hence why this is being distributed to physical media through Sony Pictures Releasing International. So, the film has basically three UK distributors, only one of which is actually affiliated with Amazon:

Amazon Prime Video as a "Amazon Original" - streaming
Vertigo Releasing - cinemas
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment - physical media
Old 05-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #5

Apr 2021
Uk

Bought this morning. Picture quality is fantastic.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2018

Watched this last night. Agree that the performances of Riz Ahmed and Paul Raci were first-rate.

The film that it most reminded me of is Foxcatcher Ė with the similar pacing and emphasis on quiet interspersed with some panoramic landscape shots.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:07 AM   #7

Sep 2010

Does anybody know if this disc has subtitles for the sign language dialogue? The US criterion disc lacks the subtitles for this film in those parts.
Thanks given by:
mogwai_macabre (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 02:41 PM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2015
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese1 View Post
Does anybody know if this disc has subtitles for the sign language dialogue? The US criterion disc lacks the subtitles for this film in those parts.
I'd love to know this as well
Old 11-26-2022, 11:11 PM   #9

Oct 2016
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorsese1 View Post
It doesn't until about halfway through (after the scene at the slide). I think this is a conscious choice to put the viewer in the the same place as Ruben - you gain understanding as he does.
Old 11-27-2022, 12:46 AM   #10
Special Member

Jan 2015
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhig View Post
It doesn't until about halfway through (after the scene at the slide). I think this is a conscious choice to put the viewer in the the same place as Ruben - you gain understanding as he does.
But youíre confirming this disc does include them after that point in the movie? Thatís how the subtitles worked on streaming, but missing completely from the Criterion disc.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:32 AM   #11

Oct 2016
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai_macabre View Post
But youíre confirming this disc does include them after that point in the movie? Thatís how the subtitles worked on streaming, but missing completely from the Criterion disc.
Yep, they're included after that point, but there's only maybe 10 lines of dialogue and I don't know how much it adds to the experience.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland