Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Army of Darkness (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
The Menu (iTunes)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
I Know What You Did Last Summer (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
Red Rocket (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
Fantastic Beasts 3-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Kingdom of Heaven (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
The Worst Person in the World (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
Commando (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
Pulp Fiction (iTunes)
$6.99
13 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
Thor 4-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$34.99

Some Like It Hot (iTunes)
$4.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes

Old 10-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #1

Dec 2018
Default What happens to your purchases when you die

Apple recently rolled out a "digital legacy" service that allows your next of kin access to your iCloud data when you die. But it doesn't include licensed content. And for those of us amassing a large library of movie and TV purchases, that's a problem.

Is anyone concerned that their purchases will be forfeited in the event of their death? Or are you thinking there could be legal changes that allow them to become part of your estate?

Or will you just be content to make DRM-free backups and/or give your next of kin your password to continue accessing your account?

(Years ago there were reports Bruce Willis was suing Apple for the right to pass on his purchases to his children, but those have since been debunked.)
Old 10-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
Power Member

Apr 2017

Well my kids have zero interest in anything that’s in my library while I’m alive so I’d guess they’d have even less interest once I’m gone Lol.
Simple solution is if you really do want your nearest and dearest to have access to your purchases is to just leave them your AppleID and Password details.
Thanks given by:
D00mM4r1n3 (10-12-2021), FilmMan85 (10-10-2021), mastadge (10-10-2021), turns2stone (10-11-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

Dec 2018

^ True on both counts!
Old 10-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #4

Aug 2021

I just assumed that anyone with my AppleID and password can access my iCloud and purchases.

How would Apple know that a customer had died?
Old 10-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

When you pass away, your digital library and service will be remain open or closed by your surviving relative, to whomever you appoint to be executive of your estate and your inheritors to in your Last Will & Testament. When you die, nothing on this earth will matter to you anymore because you will be deceased.

Last edited by slimdude; 10-10-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:01 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
When you pass away, your digital library and service will be remain open or closed by your surviving relative, to whomever you appoint to be executive of your estate and your inheritance to in your Last Will & Testament. When you die, nothing on this earth will matter anymore because you will be gone.
That doesn't make legal sense. You don't own your digital library. It has no tangible value, so how could it be left in a will?

You have a 2019 Corvette which is on a 36 month lease, you die with 6 more payments left on the lease. The leasing company owns the car. If payments are not made, they will come take the car away and sue the estate for the remaining payments. If someone pays the remaining 6 payments, they have continued use of the car. When the lease expires, the car is returned to the leasing company.

You pay to use the car. There is no ownership, implied or intended. Same with a digital library except it's a one time payment.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #7
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
That doesn't make legal sense. You don't own your digital library. It has no tangible value, so how could it be left in a will?
You've completely misinterpreted. Read it again.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #8

Sep 2021

Access rights granted to your account (through purchases, etc) for content are non-transferable, and are terminated upon receipt of your death certificate.

If you dont want those rights terminated, seems you’d want to setup a way for your loved ones to get in to this account upon your expiration, and that death certificate probably shouldn’t make it to apple.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:26 PM   #9

Sep 2021

Quote:
When you pass away, your digital library and service will be remain open or closed by your surviving relative, to whomever you appoint to be executive of your estate and your inheritors to in your Last Will & Testament. When you die, nothing on this earth will matter to you anymore because you will be deceased.
You cannot legally transfer your itunes purchases to anyone else per the itunes agreement. the only way to preserve these purchases would be to setup a way for loved ones to have access to your account upon death.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #10

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher 69 View Post
Apple recently rolled out a "digital legacy" service that allows your next of kin access to your iCloud data when you die. But it doesn't include licensed content. And for those of us amassing a large library of movie and TV purchases, that's a problem.

Is anyone concerned that their purchases will be forfeited in the event of their death? Or are you thinking there could be legal changes that allow them to become part of your estate?

Or will you just be content to make DRM-free backups and/or give your next of kin your password to continue accessing your account?

(Years ago there were reports Bruce Willis was suing Apple for the right to pass on his purchases to his children, but those have since been debunked.)
I never pay attention to terms and conditions.

My sister has my iTunes password and so do my two of my nieces. They can watch whatever they want and if I kick the bucket they can keep access.

Apple would terminate when they found out in dead but they won’t find out because no one has any reason to tell them.
Thanks given by:
AZBrowncoat (10-12-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
Banned

Jan 2013
Outside Orlando

Same thing that happens to my physical belongings:
1. Who cares I'm dead
2. Garbage

lol
Old 10-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #12

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMan85 View Post
I just assumed that anyone with my AppleID and password can access my iCloud and purchases.

How would Apple know that a customer had died?
When the customer's credit card is cancelled?
Old 10-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #13
Power Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai View Post
My US account has no payment method, buy everything with iTunes credit.
UK account has my debit card but in reality it doesn’t have to be my debit card on file as can use anyones providing they’ve given permission.
Thanks given by:
FilmMan85 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #14

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai View Post
People cancel credit all the time and their debit card details can change.

Apple doesn’t react as if that have died.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:19 PM   #15

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTL View Post
Same thing that happens to my physical belongings:
1. Who cares I'm dead
2. Garbage

lol
You think no one will care when you die?
Old 10-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #16
Expert Member

Apr 2016
Just South of Nowhere

Quote:
When you die, nothing on this earth will matter to you anymore because you will be deceased.
Wow. That's, like, really deep, man.
Thanks given by:
Keungy (02-19-2022)
Old 10-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #17
Power Member

Feb 2017

Buy physical. Problem solved. Then when you die, your loved ones can have your stuff, without corporate scumbaggery to deal with. If they don't want your stuff, then they can at least sell it to make money to help with a funeral or whatever. Can't do that with digital.
Thanks given by:
Kristian Idol (10-12-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #18
Banned

Jan 2013
Outside Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMan85 View Post
You think no one will care when you die?
I mean I don't care if I'll be dead lol. At least my digital library is in the cloud. So maybe I'll still have access to it in the afterlife.
Thanks given by:
turns2stone (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #19
Special Member

Oct 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKiller View Post
Buy physical. Problem solved. Then when you die, your loved ones can have your stuff, without corporate scumbaggery to deal with. If they don't want your stuff, then they can at least sell it to make money to help with a funeral or whatever. Can't do that with digital.
Just the act of sorting through a deceased family member's "stuff" can be a pain. Not to mention the hassle/time involved with selling it, as well as the eventual arguments among family members on who-gets-what.

No one wants your Disney VHS collection, or anything else really. Do everyone a favor and get rid of it or have plans for it after you expire.
Thanks given by:
Alan Gordon (10-11-2021), FilmMan85 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 05:26 PM   #20
Banned

Jan 2013
Outside Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by turns2stone View Post
Just the act of sorting through a deceased family member's "stuff" can be a pain. Not to mention the hassle/time involved with selling it, as well as the eventual arguments among family members on who-gets-what.

No one wants your Disney VHS collection, or anything else really. Do everyone a favor and get rid of it or have plans for it after you expire.
My wife wants me to dump my physical movies to save space. She's not waiting for me to die for the opportunity to get rid of it lmao
Thanks given by:
FilmMan85 (10-12-2021), jbloggs (02-20-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes