Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Naked Lunch 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.99
2 hrs ago
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65

Naked Lunch (Blu-ray)
£24.99
1 day ago
House of the Dragon 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

Lovers Lane (Blu-ray)
£17.99
1 day ago
Maniac (Blu-ray)
£15.00
11 hrs ago
House of the Dragon (Blu-ray)
£25.00

The Hunger Games: Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£68.54
22 hrs ago
Vigilante (Blu-ray)
£15.00
11 hrs ago
Fall (Blu-ray)
£10.00
11 hrs ago
In the Mood for Love (Blu-ray)
£17.99

The Matrix Resurrections 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.14
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:41 AM   #21
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Sarcasm or not, I actually busted the resolution down to 576 when watching it. Made it look softer but in a good way, it ‘cut off’ some of the ghastly smudginess. Still looked wildly over-processed, just not as bad as watching it in HD.
Maybe we can do a S-VHS tapeout at Tapeokem and get it to look more organic.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:11 AM   #22
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
Maybe we can do a S-VHS tapeout at Tapeokem and get it to look more organic.
Dude! I hope one of the more film-oriented, uh, filmmakers takes the Blu-ray of this over to FotoKem and says "record this onto the grainest mf'ing stock you have"
Old 01-07-2022, 02:41 AM   #23
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Well could do a Kubrick and photograph it frame by frame on your still camera using 110 cartridges to make a dupe if you don't have a 16mm or Super-8 camera.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:51 AM   #24
Expert Member

Mar 2012
China

I think that awful texture was caused not only by DNR, but also the AI "enhanced" technology. It just generated so many unnatural movements and details, making everything worse.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:06 AM   #25
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw0aszx View Post
I think that awful texture was caused not only by DNR, but also the AI "enhanced" technology. It just generated so many unnatural movements and details, making everything worse.
There's a lot of shit going on there, yeah. That's what makes it so frustrating, if Jackson just wanted to remove the grain then there are algos and processes out that can retain a hell of a lot more detail and texture than this, even with creaky old 16mm, but the smeariness to both texture and movement makes it look astonishingly unnatural. People would say that real life doesn't have grain, true enough, but real life doesn't look like a moving waxwork either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
Well could do a Kubrick and photograph it frame by frame on your still camera using 110 cartridges to make a dupe if you don't have a 16mm or Super-8 camera.

Great! So at 24 shots per cartridge for 8 hours of footage all I'd need is 28,800 cartridges!
Old 01-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #26
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Surrey, UK

The complete lack of any kind of extras on this makes me think that a typical Jackson extra special edition is planned for later down the line.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
The complete lack of any kind of extras on this makes me think that a typical Jackson extra special edition is planned for later down the line.
There was talk of the complete rooftop performance without all the crowds looking up and police arriving guff, just showing The Beatles in action. Dunno how that relates to the 60 minute IMAX movie being released, or if that's the same thing.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #28

Aug 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Absolutely. I'll stick with my bootlegs for now and wait for a decent edition with bonus features. There's so much they could add if they wanted:
  • restoration process interviews
  • production interviews
  • the shorter premiere version, with Jackson audio commentary
  • footage and interviews from the premieres
  • audio commentary on the full series by a Beatles scholar
Thanks given by:
El Dopo (01-09-2022), Marv Inc. (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #29

Aug 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserD View Post
Absolutely. I'll stick with my bootlegs for now and wait for a decent edition with bonus features. There's so much they could add if they wanted:
  • production interviews
I'll respond to my own post here with a recent favorite among Beatles scholars who would do a fabulous job of commentary on either the Let It Be or Get Back films. Scott Freiman's Deconstructing the Beatles lecture series are educational and fun, and always reveal something new. If you're not familiar, here' s the website https://www.beatleslectures.com/
Thanks given by:
LeftHandedGuitarist (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:49 PM   #30
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserD View Post
  • production interviews
For the bolded they might as well show us a clip of PJ shitting on the film. Literally shitting on it.
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (01-08-2022), drush9999 (01-08-2022), SpazeBlue (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 02:32 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
For the bolded they might as well show us a clip of PJ shitting on the film. Literally shitting on it.
1 director 10 film canisters
Old 01-08-2022, 05:39 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2011
Norway/Wales

A different perspective here. I'm not a Beatles fan. I've always enjoyed Lennon's solo work but never got into the Beatles for some reason. I found the DNR and especially the AI upscaling process, to be literally disgusting. Not even so much as watching it disgusted me, the footage was so compelling I just put up with it after a while, but just knowing that he'd done it was really bothering me. The YouTube featurette that shows how "amazing" their restoration process came across as quite disengenuous to me, because footage from those sessions has been seen elsewhere in very good quality, but the before/after comparison made the original footage look like something found in a bin from the silent era.

At the end of the day, this documentary made me a fan of The Beatles, and I absolutely loved it. Fascinating stuff, really. So I loved it for what it was, and actually thought the editing overall was brilliant, but the restoration is pretty unforgiveable stuff. I suppose it's not so surprising when this is the man who got all giddy about putting GoPro shots in a Middle Earth movie.

The worst part about the restoration, and I almost shake my head called it a restoration, is that I'm assuming it was born out of wanting to appeal to modern viewers. Blown up to 16:19, given as clean and digital a look as possible upscaled to "4K Ultra HD" and everything else. I don't think anyone really cares, and most people don't even notice how rough the digital tinkering is. Which means if it was *gasp* retained in it's OAR and left grainy but carefully restored, most people wouldn't have noticed or moaned then either. So ultimately it's just another example of Jackson losing his way with being more interested in the technology.

Actually, the real worst part is that they applied DNR to the footage, essentially removing a lot of the detail... and THEN used AI upscaling and sharpening tools to... get more detail. Absolutely bonkers.
Thanks given by:
CelestialAgent (01-09-2022), DaveSimonH (01-13-2022), daycity (01-08-2022), floor pie (03-12-2022), Geoff D (01-08-2022), grahams76 (01-09-2022), martinb (02-20-2022), Marv Inc. (01-09-2022), SpazeBlue (01-08-2022), UltraMario9 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #33
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Some "restoration" demos tend to do that, they show the literal raw scan with no colour correction or dirt/scratch removal and then the restored version. It's always a wee bit disingenuous as the neg is not supposed to be viewed in such a context, especially for colour. But PJ gonna PJ, I felt a twinge of sadness watching that "restoration" demo on Get Back because the 'before' footage looked lovely with that grain in there. It's even sadder when you realise that the only people who saw most of this footage looking like that were the people who then proceeded to digitally disfigure it.
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (01-08-2022), CelestialAgent (01-09-2022), DaveSimonH (01-13-2022), Geode (01-09-2022), jackranderson (01-08-2022), Nedoflanders (01-09-2022), RazorwireRyan (01-08-2022), UltraMario9 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:51 PM   #34

Sep 2008
Cheshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorwireRyan View Post
A different perspective here. I'm not a Beatles fan. I've always enjoyed Lennon's solo work but never got into the Beatles for some reason. I found the DNR and especially the AI upscaling process, to be literally disgusting. Not even so much as watching it disgusted me, the footage was so compelling I just put up with it after a while, but just knowing that he'd done it was really bothering me. The YouTube featurette that shows how "amazing" their restoration process came across as quite disengenuous to me, because footage from those sessions has been seen elsewhere in very good quality, but the before/after comparison made the original footage look like something found in a bin from the silent era.

At the end of the day, this documentary made me a fan of The Beatles, and I absolutely loved it. Fascinating stuff, really. So I loved it for what it was, and actually thought the editing overall was brilliant, but the restoration is pretty unforgiveable stuff. I suppose it's not so surprising when this is the man who got all giddy about putting GoPro shots in a Middle Earth movie.

The worst part about the restoration, and I almost shake my head called it a restoration, is that I'm assuming it was born out of wanting to appeal to modern viewers. Blown up to 16:19, given as clean and digital a look as possible upscaled to "4K Ultra HD" and everything else. I don't think anyone really cares, and most people don't even notice how rough the digital tinkering is. Which means if it was *gasp* retained in it's OAR and left grainy but carefully restored, most people wouldn't have noticed or moaned then either. So ultimately it's just another example of Jackson losing his way with being more interested in the technology.

Actually, the real worst part is that they applied DNR to the footage, essentially removing a lot of the detail... and THEN used AI upscaling and sharpening tools to... get more detail. Absolutely bonkers.
You only have to look at other forums, YT etc. to see the general consensus about the restored footage ... "stunning", "beautiful" aplenty.

I'm dreading how The Frighteners 4K is gonna turn out.
Thanks given by:
DaveSimonH (01-13-2022), Geoff D (01-08-2022), jackranderson (01-08-2022), Marv Inc. (01-09-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:56 PM   #35
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycity View Post
You only have to look at other forums, YT etc. to see the general consensus about the restored footage ... "stunning", "beautiful" aplenty.

As much we're appalled by how horrible this looks, I'm not surprised that there's been no kind of public calling out of it by consumers and critics alike. They fell over themselves to gush over how lovely it looks and that's just where we're at with the wider populace. So many people have the DNR, sharpness, and motion interpolation cranked up on their TV that Get Back likely looks entirely normal to them, and boy do I wish I was joking. Bet it looks way more awesome on a phone that it does on a giant telly too.

Jackson is basically Joe Sixpack in movie director form.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 12:52 AM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015
Norwich

BFI IMAX are screening the Rooftop Concert, hope it gets screened a little more widely.

I just hope the unrestored rushes remain preserved in some form.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:30 AM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

I listened to Peter Jackson on the Marc Maron podcast a few weeks back and he discusses the restoration at around the 44 min mark. At a bit before the 47 min mark, he even acknowledges "film grain enthusiasts" having negative opinions on what they've done.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2012
The British Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycity View Post

This is the problem, I regularly read the yt and facebook comments and its seldom you see anyone complaining.

The masses this was aimed at the the exact ones who call it "stunning, looks like it was shot yesterday, how is this 50 years old" For PJ and Disney this will be exactly the confirmation they want, that why they have done is fine and loved by Joe Public and those who love all there movies to look diigtal and like a Marvel film.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:08 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2011
Norway/Wales

What bugs me more than the "it looks amazing" comments are when they say "the footage was so old this was probably the only way the footage could be salvaged, I heard it was in rough shape" and I just think about some of the films I've seen restored from like.. the 1890s that look more natural.
Thanks given by:
floor pie (01-11-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2011
Norway/Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor View Post
I listened to Peter Jackson on the Marc Maron podcast a few weeks back and he discusses the restoration at around the 44 min mark. At a bit before the 47 min mark, he even acknowledges "film grain enthusiasts" having negative opinions on what they've done.
This'll come off like a petulant exaggeration, but that comment is almost like taking every painting off the wall, scanning it digitally, printing it out in perfect reproductive quality and putting the originals in a cupboard, then saying "well the canvas enthusiasts aren't very happy with it, but we need to feel like these paintings were created today."
Thanks given by:
Aclea (01-09-2022), CelestialAgent (01-10-2022), DaveSimonH (01-13-2022), daycity (01-09-2022), Geoff D (01-10-2022), Justin101 (01-13-2022), Levon (01-21-2022), Rizor (01-09-2022), RossyG (01-09-2022), Sifox211 (01-09-2022), UltraMario9 (01-11-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland