Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.97
6 hrs ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72
 
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$79.96
 
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #41
crazyBLUE crazyBLUE is offline
Moderator
 
crazyBLUE's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest
89
479
1
38
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
There is no free lunch. The receiver will have to work.
I was waiting for something like that I knew it was coming Too
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #42
teflon2287 teflon2287 is offline
New Member
 
Apr 2012
Default

Hi,

I have been searching for sometime for an answer to this question, this is the closest I have seen to answering my question.

I have a Pioneer VSX-920, which has no pre-outs, and it's "ZONE2" out puts will not convert digital sources.

What I want to know, is it possible for me to connect the (6 ohm) front speakers and a line level converter to the same speaker terminals on the VSX-920 in parallel so that I can feed the signal to another receiver in another room?

I am pretty sure that this should be ok, since the impedance of the converters are usually on the order of 10,000 ohms.

Thank you for your help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #43
rarredoa rarredoa is offline
Active Member
 
rarredoa's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Los Angeles
32
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon2287 View Post
Hi,

I have been searching for sometime for an answer to this question, this is the closest I have seen to answering my question.

I have a Pioneer VSX-920, which has no pre-outs, and it's "ZONE2" out puts will not convert digital sources.

What I want to know, is it possible for me to connect the (6 ohm) front speakers and a line level converter to the same speaker terminals on the VSX-920 in parallel so that I can feed the signal to another receiver in another room?

I am pretty sure that this should be ok, since the impedance of the converters are usually on the order of 10,000 ohms.

Thank you for your help.
Electrically, connecting the line-converter should not impact your receiver in anyway. If the impedance of the speaker was exactly 6 ohms (which it's not) then connecting that line converter would force your receiver's output to see 5.996 ohms, very negligible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #44
littlenickysa littlenickysa is offline
New Member
 
Jan 2013
Default Calculations

I have a 700 watt receiver Sony Srt-520 and I am trying to add my 8000 PYLE PT8000CH amplifier. I cannot figure out what type of resisters I should be using to connect my pyle amplifier and receiver because it does not have pre outs. The reviews say it runs more at 900 watts though and it does not say the impedance so I would have to guess 10,000. Any and all help is greatly appreciate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #45
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenickysa View Post
I have a 700 watt receiver Sony Srt-520 and I am trying to add my 8000 PYLE PT8000CH amplifier. I cannot figure out what type of resisters I should be using to connect my pyle amplifier and receiver because it does not have pre outs. The reviews say it runs more at 900 watts though and it does not say the impedance so I would have to guess 10,000. Any and all help is greatly appreciate.
You can go to post #1 of this thread and look at Examples 1 & 2, make a guess, and build yourself a High-to-Low Adapter. Alternatively, you can buy a High-to-Low Adapter online. Local car audio dealers may carry them.

Initially, test everything by turning the levels really down so that you won't damage anything.

If you need the exact information, call Pyle Audio. Hopefully, they can help you.

Pyle Audio
Phone: (718) 535-1800
Fax: (718) 235-2400
1600 63rd Street
Brooklyn, NY 11204

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PT8000CH
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #46
Nickeleye7 Nickeleye7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Nickeleye7's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Arizona
167
Default

I'm using extra gear for another setup of mine and the receiver I'm going to use will not have pre-outs. I got myself a Stinger SGN12 line converter as I have two extra (cheapo') pro-amps I want to use for the front L+R speakers. I wanted to know if these line converters are able to drive external amps adequately? Especially pro-amps since that is what I'll be using and pro-amps operate at a different level than regular/consumer amps. My pro-amps do not natively support an unbalanced connection. Would you advise to add another box after the converter to boost the signal to +4 dBu and a balanced connection for pro-amps in this situation? Or is that just too much junk on the signal line as it would be then going through two converters? I know I can just use RCA to XLR cables but I want to give the amps their full signal level so I don't end up with dull audio and I'm not sure if just the speaker line converter will do that. Thanks.

Converter - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ger-SGN12.html
Amps - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...id-ZPA150.html

*The listing says these amps have RCA inputs but ignore that as I can confirm they do not. Just junk Pyle/Pyramid misinformation. I think these amps suck but I'm trying to find a use for them as I've upgraded to "real" amps for my dedicated HT.

Last edited by Nickeleye7; 10-30-2013 at 08:11 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #47
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Thought I'd post my latest addition to the family an Adcom GFA7605 5 channel amp. Installed with the use of these.....
[Show spoiler]


I have a harman/kardon with no pre-amp outs, and when discussing amps with members, I was told Nope, can't be done. Evidently they hadn't read this spectacular thread for those of us with receievers without such hook-ups.

Its funny because I was reading up on the amp I purchased on another forum, where a guy was wanting to add the amp, other members said to him the same that I was told, and he ended up huying a new receiver

Finished Product...



We don't need no STINKIN' Pre-amp outs!

Anyways, Thanks again for this thread!

Last edited by Billy13; 12-25-2013 at 08:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #48
Tinman7783 Tinman7783 is offline
Active Member
 
Tinman7783's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Northern Ohio
11
91
9
Default

Ok I need to if these one for each speaker correct.? And the how should I connect the two RCA jacks to a crown x 2000 with only one RCA input jack?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:43 AM   #49
BigAl87 BigAl87 is offline
Contributor
 
BigAl87's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire
135
359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman7783 View Post
Ok I need to if these one for each speaker correct.? And the how should I connect the two RCA jacks to a crown x 2000 with only one RCA input jack?
I replied to you already, all you need is one converter that has the 2 channels and most of them all have 2 rca out like you see in the pictures in the first post of this thread..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:34 AM   #50
bgallagrr bgallagrr is offline
New Member
 
Oct 2013
Default

Hello Everyone, I read through this whole thread but a direct response to my particular situation based on my set up might give a more straightforward individualized answer. Whew! Here we go....

I have a 5.1 setup as follows:
Pioneer VSX-921K
Fronts: Old Pioneers SP-FS 51 Floor Standing
Center: SP-C21
Rears: SP-BS21
Sub: Energy 10.3

I have no pre-out and wanted to add a dedicated amp for the the floorstanders. Would a headphone to RCA work for the mains and the receiver take care of center and rears for multi-channel listening? Or would I need to do the Line-out Converter for the mains? Or should I be satisfied with what I have and live with the curiousity of what more power to these speakers would sound like LOL? Help please gentlemen (and ladies). Thanks in advance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:40 AM   #51
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
230
47
Default

This is just one mans opinion, but I would upgrade your receiver to something with pre-outs, but I would get something that will provide better power output until you arrive at the point of needing a power amp. Better power output doesn't mean more watts, it means a better built power amp section. For instance, since you like the Pioneer products look at the SC-81 receiver. It has the D3 amp, pre-outs and is 4 ohm stable, so its a pretty decently built unit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #52
bgallagrr bgallagrr is offline
New Member
 
Oct 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
This is just one mans opinion, but I would upgrade your receiver to something with pre-outs, but I would get something that will provide better power output until you arrive at the point of needing a power amp. Better power output doesn't mean more watts, it means a better built power amp section. For instance, since you like the Pioneer products look at the SC-81 receiver. It has the D3 amp, pre-outs and is 4 ohm stable, so its a pretty decently built unit.
Thanks for the response. I really wanted to save on upgrading a receiver since stumbling upon this work around. I like little projects like these, makes me feel like im ahead of the game of having to shell out cash cash cash lol. I wouldnt mind upgrading but most likely in the future. Just bought a another sub to match which i thought would be better than a receiver in the mean time. So for right now I'd like to see if this line converter trick would work for me.

P.S. Steve Guttenberg from CNet kinda has me messed up since he raves about the Pioneers with a receiver driving them, but I saw where he compared a receiver vs a dedicated separate amp on those babies and he was blown even more. Wanted to experience THAT for myself =D. And I just looked up your recommendation......that thing is expensive! lol

Last edited by bgallagrr; 03-28-2015 at 06:51 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #53
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

$1000 for something to be the centerpiece of your theater for the next 5 years...

Is expensive?

Kills me that people think $200 a year is too much to spend on the brains of the operation.

You spend more than $200/year...

On content.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #54
bgallagrr bgallagrr is offline
New Member
 
Oct 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
$1000 for something to be the centerpiece of your theater for the next 5 years...

Is expensive?

Kills me that people think $200 a year is too much to spend on the brains of the operation.

You spend more than $200/year...

On content.
Did i strike a chord? At the end of the day I don't have 5 years worth on money in my hands at this moment, do I? I still would appreciate another opinion, unless you'll give me a receiver lol. I want to see how far my equipment can go even if it's entry level, I rather enjoy it and want to "SEE" if i can get more out of it. My original post is what I'd like to find out if anyone has the info. Thanks Everyone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #55
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallagrr View Post
Did i strike a chord? At the end of the day I don't have 5 years worth on money in my hands at this moment, do I? I still would appreciate another opinion, unless you'll give me a receiver lol. I want to see how far my equipment can go even if it's entry level, I rather enjoy it and want to "SEE" if i can get more out of it. My original post is what I'd like to find out if anyone has the info. Thanks Everyone.
The, uhm, used market.

You could buy an Onkyo NR708/808/709/809/717, then sell this one.

Last edited by schan1269; 03-28-2015 at 08:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:35 AM   #56
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallagrr View Post
Did i strike a chord? At the end of the day I don't have 5 years worth on money in my hands at this moment, do I? I still would appreciate another opinion, unless you'll give me a receiver lol. I want to see how far my equipment can go even if it's entry level, I rather enjoy it and want to "SEE" if i can get more out of it. My original post is what I'd like to find out if anyone has the info. Thanks Everyone.
Just buy the adapter, and enjoy the avr you currently have, until you're ready for another. $20 beats $$$.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #57
terrapinX terrapinX is offline
New Member
 
Jan 2016
California
Default

Does anyone still refer to this thread? I want to build a speaker level to line level converter for a Denon 2309CI receiver that I own - I love the receiver - it just does not have pre-outs which is a bummer. Will building a line level converter work for a denon 2309 like I have (receiver made in 2009)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #58
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
436
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinX View Post
Does anyone still refer to this thread? I want to build a speaker level to line level converter for a Denon 2309CI receiver that I own - I love the receiver - it just does not have pre-outs which is a bummer. Will building a line level converter work for a denon 2309 like I have (receiver made in 2009)?
I'd just buy one of these.
[Show spoiler]
I bought mine at Fry's electronics for like $20.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:37 PM.