Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$56.99
18 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$23.49
19 hrs ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ratatouille 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
6 hrs ago
Xabungle: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 04-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Sep 2014
Default Epson 2150 or BenQ HT2050A (currently have HD3300)

I haven't really paid attention to all the changes and improvements to projectors over the last couple of years. I have a HD3300, but we haven't used it much lately. To my eyes, our room has to be pitch dark for it to look good, and the 3D seems to be pretty dim. My partner doesn't like for the lights to be completely off when we watch something though.

Over the past week or so I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about projectors, and watching a lot of Youtube videos. I'd like to use a projector more often for movies, 3D movies, and gaming, as I really enjoy the big screen experience.

While I would love to upgrade to a 4K projector, right now it is out of my range. However, I have a birthday coming up in May, and I can swing getting something sub $1000. Hopefully something that will give a noticeable upgrade over the HD3300 that I have.

After all my research, it seems to me that the general consensus is to go with either the Epson 2150 or the BenQ 2050A. And I'm having a heck of a hard time making up my mind.

We are still going to keep the HD3300...it is mounted on the ceiling and it would be very difficult to change it out (I would have to pay someone to do it). So, I'm thinking that we will use the new projector on the coffee table, to project onto the same pull down screen that we have in place already. However, that only gives me about a 7 foot throw, *maybe* up to 8 foot. I thought about the HT2050A short throw, but apparently it doesn't have vertical lens shift, which I really want. Also, it doesn't seem to be as bright as the BenQ 2050A or the Epson 2150.

I know the Epson 2150 won't fill our 100 inch screen at that distance, and neither will the BenQ 2050A, but it will be close. The BenQ will almost fill the screen, but the Epson is only going to be about a 70 to 80 inch image.

Each unit has their own pros and cons which is making it so hard. I really like the idea of the motion interpolation that is available on the Epson. So, that is a plus for me to consider as well.

However, the BenQ apparently has better contrast...is it drastically better though?

I want to be able to use the new projector in a slightly lit room...as I mentioned previously, the HD3300 needs complete darkness to look good. I am hoping the new projector I decide on will improve on this.

3D is one of the most important considerations for us as well. I had heard that the Epson 2150 has a great and bright 3D image. But, I haven't heard how it compares to the 3D on the BenQ HT2050A. Does anyone have any comments on a comparison in 3D mode between the Epson and BenQ?

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments. I think I've about gone nuts trying to make up my mind. I just don't know which is the better choice for our environment and what we want to use it for.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #2

Jun 2018
Indiana

Not sure I'd buy a projector to a price point. But, BenQ does have an UHD HDR capable projector around $1500. Found that on Amazon. I'm content with the BenQ name, as they were Acer before. I realize that's more than you're looking to spend, but might as well do it right if at all. Specs looked good from what I recall. I do not have the model number.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors