Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89
 
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.10
20 hrs ago
IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$15.76
9 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.31
 
Clash of the Titans 3D / Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.67
 
Sector 7 (Blu-ray)
$14.32
 
Tormented 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion


View Poll Results: 3D vs 4K / UHD for blu-rays - which is better?
3D 30 68.18%
4K 7 15.91%
Depends on the film - some are better in 3D, some in 4K 7 15.91%
Makes no difference to me 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #41
dartfrog298 dartfrog298 is offline
Power Member
 
dartfrog298's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Sorry to disagree Dartfrog, though have you compared its 3D to the 3D of a stronger 3D conversion, as with one of the latest Marvel films, such as Avengers Infinity War, or Ant Man and the Wasp? There's no comparison and it reveals how mild the 3D in Upside Down really is. Upside Down unfortunately does not help 3D's purpose, and if it was released in 3D theaters, it would be doing 3D a disservice because the 3D is so mild.
I pulled the Upside Down thread and it appears that there was a discussion done in March of this year. I re watched it then and confirmed that I thought the 3D was awesome so I doubt I would change my mind after a few views of the film. Also I checked with my room mate and he said that he remembers the 3D being awesome in the film. Difference in TV's, settings maybe?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #42
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Default

I see that the thread's title has just recently changed, and a poll was added.
Unfortunately I cannot vote as there is no fifth option for me; I prefer the 3D version for some 3D Blus because of the immersive visual experience, and I prefer the 4K version for others because of the extra dynamic contrast, color palette, oily blacks, extra details, sharpness, brightness...all that jazz. It wouldn't be fair for me to pick one over the other one.

The TV manufacturers made that choice for us, here in North America, plus the Hollywood movie studios, of course. They do what they do best; make more money by selling what sells more to the consumers in North America. I cannot object to that, even if I wanted to.
C'est la vie and you have to roll with it ...


Last edited by LordoftheRings; 01-06-2019 at 11:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #43
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
8
1952
35
2
2
Default 3D vs 4K / UHD for blu-rays - which is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
I see that the thread's title has just recently changed, and a poll was added.
Unfortunately I cannot vote as there is no fifth option for me; I prefer the 3D version for some 3D Blus because of the immersive visual experience, and I prefer the 4K version for others because of the extra dynamic contrast, color palette, oily blacks, extra details, sharpness, brightness...all that jazz. It wouldn't be fair for me to pick one over the other one.
The poll was in an existing 3D vs 4K thread that the new thread was merged into (as there's really no need for multiple 3D vs 4K threads) but I think your point is a good one so I've reset the poll options.

For the record, the votes prior to the reset were:
69 for 3D
3 for 4K
3 for all the same to me.

I still maintain that the immersive visual experience 3D provides trumps all that 4K jazz every time without exception.

Last edited by the13thman; 01-07-2019 at 01:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ckyllr (02-15-2019), dartfrog298 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #44
BLMN BLMN is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
52
441
37
8
Default

It’s undeniable what 4K and HDR brings to the table, if we could only get the best of both combined, a true 4K 3D HDR oh man.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (04-04-2019), GenPion (04-04-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:42 AM   #45
chachzilla chachzilla is offline
Member
 
Jun 2017
22
800
227
Default

Sad thing is that I don’t think it would be that hard to get both. 4k 3D TVs with active glasses should have been capable of displaying a 4K 3D image, no? So it was just a matter of someone putting that on disc. Could be tough to fit on the physical media maybe? Maybe too expensive to be worthwhile for manufacturers.

Sadly, we live in a world where (I think if you look at sales on amazon, etc) most people still seem to be buying movies on DVD if at all. That doesn’t bode well for any premium format.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #46
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
Quite simple really. There is no 3D film I'd rather watch in 4K. Even if there are no pop-outs, just having depth, volume and separation beats flat UHD every time.

If Upside Down came out in 4K, I'd still rather watch the 3D version.

Three dimensions are better than two.
But that's the problem - half of the 3D films they release don't have 3 dimensions - they have 2 1/2 if I'm being generous. And I say that as a huge, life-long 3D fan. To me, if a 3D film has barely any depth to it, then it's wasting my time. There's decades of 2D films out there I'm still in the process of discovering, along with decades of favorite movies and TV shows and holiday specials, so the majority of what I watch will always be 2D. So the 3D I do watch I want to be memorable and remarkable, otherwise it's a waste of my time.

3D has had an uphill battle since the beginning of it's current run, sadly, and I feel that weak, half-hearted 3D is the #1 reason why many just don't care. Which is a shame, because there's also lots of really good 3D movies out there these days, too. They're not all crap. But I've seen some that are very disappointing and I can't help wondering, if that's one people saw in the theatre, no wonder they weren't impressed by 3D. They barely saw any 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #47
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDM_fan View Post
Not for me. 3D is solidly done, and quite immersive.
Yeah, the 3D in Venom was quite good. Very enjoyable in 3D. Not as strong as some of the Disney Marvel films but still very good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #48
mar3o mar3o is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Dec 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Good point that there is room for both 3D and 2D, as there should be, since there are fans for each. I personally watch 3D and 2D entertainment, though if I have a choice, 3D will be my first choice unless the 3D is barely there. Then wearing 3D glasses seems kind of pointless if it's mostly mild 3D.

For UHD, the reason it's getting a bigger push at the moment is because the TV manufacturer's have currently left the 3D feature out of their TVs in favor of 4K resolution, instead of supporting both. The thing is, once enough 3D fans have bought their 3DTVs, because the 3DTV lasts for many years most times with regular care, there's no need to buy another 3DTV set, and so the sales stagnate. Then the Manufacturers see that leveling of sales for 3DTVs, and assume there's no more money to be made creating them, and so they move on to 4K UHD TVs, hoping to sell more of those, and not worrying about the impact it can have on the 3D blu ray market as a result.
I think this is one of the main reasons we no longer can buy 3D TVs. You nailed it. They expected everyone and their mother to throw away their 2D TVs and buy a new 3D one, and of course, that wasn't going to happen realistically. Some jumped in right away, but many waited years for their current TV to start showing its age so they would have a reason to buy a new 3D TV. I saw tons of posts like that years ago - many were buying 3D discs in anticipation of eventually buying a new 3D TV when they could justify it.

And for those that did by a new 3D set, they were all set for years to come, as with any TV. Most people don't buy new TVs like they buy new phones. So the TV manufacturers expected (unrealistically) to see huge 3D TV sales immediately and stay steady, and of course that's not what happened. Sales leveled off. Almost out of spite it seems, they started dropping the feature from their sets, and next thing you know it was a monkey-see, monkey-do situation where they all followed suit, with only LG hanging on for a while longer before dropping out.

I still think it's absurd that you can't buy a new 3D TV when it's still a currently-supported home video format by the studios. Sadly the TV manufacturers have made it worse by sending a message to the studios that 3D is no longer being supported by them, which of course is now resulting in some studios backing out of US home 3D releases.

The worst part is LG did nothing to promote the immense improvement in its passive 3D when they merged 3D with their UHD sets. The jump to 1080p passive was a huge leap forward for 3D quality at home, and LG did almost nothing to clue viewers in on that. My LG 2016 model 3D UHD set didn't even have the 3D logo anywhere on the box or any mention on the marketing page that it supported 3D.

Honestly they just made too many mistakes with the home 3D format, which is a shame because I firmly believe that if they started off with 3D looking like it does on my 2016 passive UHD set in the first place, it might have made a much bigger impact right from the beginning. Too many years of -meh- active sets, glasses confusion, high prices, and early exclusives. I guess all we can do is support 3D blu-ray as best we can and hope it lingers on long enough to maybe get another resurgence.

I do think there's room for both UHD and 3D blu-ray. Hell, if there's been room for well over a decade for both DVD and blu-ray, when DVD should have been killed long ago, then I see no reason why we can't have 3D alongside UHD. It seems insane to me to just throw away this technology. I think that to myself every time I watch a 3D film at home. I can't believe they're just abandoning it. Mind-boggling.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (01-08-2019), Phil Menard (02-17-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #49
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
The poll was in an existing 3D vs 4K thread that the new thread was merged into (as there's really no need for multiple 3D vs 4K threads) but I think your point is a good one so I've reset the poll options.

For the record, the votes prior to the reset were:
69 for 3D
3 for 4K
3 for all the same to me.

I still maintain that the immersive visual experience 3D provides trumps all that 4K jazz every time without exception.
Oh I see now, and very cool of you for adding that new option. I now voted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #50
chachzilla chachzilla is offline
Member
 
Jun 2017
22
800
227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I think this is one of the main reasons we no longer can buy 3D TVs. You nailed it. They expected everyone and their mother to throw away their 2D TVs and buy a new 3D one, and of course, that wasn't going to happen realistically. Some jumped in right away, but many waited years for their current TV to start showing its age so they would have a reason to buy a new 3D TV. I saw tons of posts like that years ago - many were buying 3D discs in anticipation of eventually buying a new 3D TV when they could justify it.

And for those that did by a new 3D set, they were all set for years to come, as with any TV. Most people don't buy new TVs like they buy new phones. So the TV manufacturers expected (unrealistically) to see huge 3D TV sales immediately and stay steady, and of course that's not what happened. Sales leveled off. Almost out of spite it seems, they started dropping the feature from their sets, and next thing you know it was a monkey-see, monkey-do situation where they all followed suit, with only LG hanging on for a while longer before dropping out.

I still think it's absurd that you can't buy a new 3D TV when it's still a currently-supported home video format by the studios. Sadly the TV manufacturers have made it worse by sending a message to the studios that 3D is no longer being supported by them, which of course is now resulting in some studios backing out of US home 3D releases.

The worst part is LG did nothing to promote the immense improvement in its passive 3D when they merged 3D with their UHD sets. The jump to 1080p passive was a huge leap forward for 3D quality at home, and LG did almost nothing to clue viewers in on that. My LG 2016 model 3D UHD set didn't even have the 3D logo anywhere on the box or any mention on the marketing page that it supported 3D.

Honestly they just made too many mistakes with the home 3D format, which is a shame because I firmly believe that if they started off with 3D looking like it does on my 2016 passive UHD set in the first place, it might have made a much bigger impact right from the beginning. Too many years of -meh- active sets, glasses confusion, high prices, and early exclusives. I guess all we can do is support 3D blu-ray as best we can and hope it lingers on long enough to maybe get another resurgence.

I do think there's room for both UHD and 3D blu-ray. Hell, if there's been room for well over a decade for both DVD and blu-ray, when DVD should have been killed long ago, then I see no reason why we can't have 3D alongside UHD. It seems insane to me to just throw away this technology. I think that to myself every time I watch a 3D film at home. I can't believe they're just abandoning it. Mind-boggling.

That was the boat I was in. First HD tv was 2010 (about $1300 for a 46” lol) so when 3D sets came out I was excited, I wanted one, but no way was I ready for one. I subscribe to the old “replace it when it breaks” mentality. So I just bought 3D blus regularly for years in preparation. I was never going to NOT buy a 3D set.

When I saw the last few 2016 models going on clearance 2017, I decided to jump on one, the LG uh8500, and I love it so much. Sucks to see the tech die just as it hit its stride.

That 2010 set is still going strong by the way. Lol.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mar3o (01-08-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:15 AM   #51
Danny3D Danny3D is offline
Junior Member
 
Danny3D's Avatar
 
Apr 2019
2
104
Default

3D, and it's not even close.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:00 AM   #52
silentbob silentbob is offline
Expert Member
 
silentbob's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
4
93
431
18
Default

I voted 3D for the poll, but I admit to buying the 4K disc over the 3D a few times. I have done so for Blade Runner 2049, Skyscraper and Jumanji: WttJ, but only did so because I found the last two movies for $10. As for BR2049, I heard the 3D wasn’t that great and wanted that awesome Atmos track on the best disc with the best picture quality

I had a 51” 3D Plasma for a little bit but never used it because the tv was on my dresser and not setup for surround sound, unlike my projector. So a year later I did the best thing ever and upgraded the projector to one that included 3D. Once you go big, it’s hard to watch a movie on anything else
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.