Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.20

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.75

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$16.32

Clash of the Titans 3D / Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.00

G-Force 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.13

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 11-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #81
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Enjoyed the film. Was looking for an escapist, above-human hero to come to the rescue and found it in Tarzan's return to the Congo.

It might be me getting so used to 3D that at times the effects no longer appear so awe inspiring. Some were great, especially toward the climax, however, was it that overall while the depth was natural in many ways it appeared limited in this flick?
Thanks. When the 3D doesn't continue to keep me impressed as with strong 3D, it's usually because they're either filming the 3D more conservatively during those shots or converting it with more mild 3D, so it appears less impactful compared to stronger 3D shots. Sometimes it's a subtle decline in 3D strength from the more exciting action scenes to the less eventful story scenes, versus a film that has consistently strong 3D layers.
I can't say anything about this one yet, though the 3D preview in the theaters looked medium.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #82
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrachris View Post
They have them in the store. I ran in around 10:00pm and grabbed a copy. Waited in line for about 5 minutes and was out the door.
Their website stated that no store within 250 miles had this in stock. But on a whim, I stopped at a Best Buy that I drove by. There was only one copy left and the slipcover was torn in the back about half way up. I did ask a clerk to see if there were any others that were not torn. He checked in the back room and spent about 10 minutes looking through the racks for another copy since his device indicated there were two available. Never found any. Obviously, since it was the last remaining copy I walked out with it. I can tape the slip cover...at that price I can't complain. At least it had a slipcover. Who knows if future pressings will.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #83
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I predict that the UK release will be region free.

Region locking is something NO consumer EVER wants. Only bad guys like Lionsgate, E1 etc region lock by default (in the US it's Shout Factory, Olive and Kino heading up that particular hall of shame
To be fair, Shout, Olive, and KIno releases are licensed and they are only allowed to release their titles in the contracted areas.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #84

Nov 2013
Atlanta Georgia USA

My 9.99 pick up just arrived, not bad at all! I wish more 3d movies went on sale.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (11-28-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #85

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
To be fair, Shout, Olive, and KIno releases are licensed and they are only allowed to release their titles in the contracted areas.
At the risk of going off topic and flogging a dead horse, I feel that these companies COULD release more films region free, they just don't make any effort to. No attempt to negotiate better contracts, nothing. There's no law stating that you have to region lock a film to release it in a contracted area.

After all, Kino released some of the 3D Film Archive's films region free (their forthcoming release of The Stewardesses is region free) so it's not the case that EVERYTHING has to be locked. Olive also released Dragonfly Squadron region free.

But if it wasn't for the 3D Film Archive asking for these to be released region free then I bet that they would have been instinctively locked by default...
Old 11-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #86

Aug 2014

I snagged a copy at Best Buy for $10 because my husband is a big Tarzan fan and loved this movie, but I was hoping to get the 3D version so maybe I would enjoy it more.

Sadly, I have to agree with those who said the 3D is on the conservative side. There are clearly moments where shots were framed for depth and others where there are supposed to be pop outs, but the depth just isn't strong enough for them to have the desired effect. It makes me wonder again about whether directors are ever involved in the 3D conversion process...

The movie was just OK.
Thanks given by:
the13thman (11-29-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 AM   #87
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
At the risk of going off topic and flogging a dead horse, I feel that these companies COULD release more films region free, they just don't make any effort to. No attempt to negotiate better contracts, nothing. There's no law stating that you have to region lock a film to release it in a contracted area.

After all, Kino released some of the 3D Film Archive's films region free (their forthcoming release of The Stewardesses is region free) so it's not the case that EVERYTHING has to be locked. Olive also released Dragonfly Squadron region free.

But if it wasn't for the 3D Film Archive asking for these to be released region free then I bet that they would have been instinctively locked by default...
Region free would be great.
As you probably have heard, the rights owners/studios/licensors are approached by licensees that want exclusive sales rights for their area, and to get those rights and the contract money paid, they demand that it be locked for other regions so they have exclusive sales in their region and country. I wish it didn't resort to that, but that would explain part of why we keep seeing region locked movies. If the rights owners could land a great contract deal that allowed for all regions, many of them would, but by limiting it to certain regions, they probably also expand their license sales and prospects. Oh well.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #88
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootini View Post
I snagged a copy at Best Buy for $10 because my husband is a big Tarzan fan and loved this movie, but I was hoping to get the 3D version so maybe I would enjoy it more.

Sadly, I have to agree with those who said the 3D is on the conservative side. There are clearly moments where shots were framed for depth and others where there are supposed to be pop outs, but the depth just isn't strong enough for them to have the desired effect. It makes me wonder again about whether directors are ever involved in the 3D conversion process...

The movie was just OK.
Well if you read the quote from the editor I posted higher up on this page you'll see that no, the director David Yates was not around during the post production on this movie as he was busy filming Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (11-30-2016), the13thman (11-30-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #89

Aug 2008
Tucson, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I rewatched this on 3D blu ray yesterday after my IMAX disappointment and you know what, I really enjoyed it. A lot of the problems I had with the movie the first time I saw it are still there. Margot Robbie's character is horribly written and has absolutely excruciating dialogue throughout and her accent and performance just doesn't seem to fit the era the movie is set in...

It definitely feels like there was a longer, better cut of the movie and that it got hacked down quite a bit...

"Interesting. I saw it with David Yates in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago, and he said, ďItís more of a movie now than a film.Ē And I know what he meant. What he meant was itís become more two-dimensional... the journey the movieís taken is actually a lot of scenes, a lot of the layering of drama has been taken out of it, and you pretty much go from A to B pretty quickly.

Anyway the big drawback's are Robbie, Waltz's very average villain, CGI and editing.

That aside this is a rollicking adventure fantasy movie with some exciting and well staged action, large scale, a good sense of adventure and nice 3D. I love these kinds of movies and I guess I was expecting a lot more than what we got but to be honest, in retrospect what we got is very entertaining and I really loved rewatching it last night.

The 3D comes across so much better at home (I was very critical of the 3D in the IMAX). I don't know whether it's just me or whether it really does look vastly improved on blu ray but there are loads of really nice 3D shots, a few fun pop outs (the ostrich head, Tarzan swinging towards the screen in the train scene, the beads from the villain's necklace popping out towards camera to name three) and good depth throughout. I am much more pleased with this movie second time around.
I have watched it twice now. I agree with much of what you say. I think there was a better movie there, but it was left in the cutting/editing room. The CGI is passable...i.e. no complaints. But I found the muted/drab color palette wanting. Maybe artistically it fits the dreary London and the dark canopied forest scenes. Robbie's dialog was poorly written, but that's not her fault, and besides... she's too beautiful to criticize. Waltz is typed casted and needs to break out of this character. Surprisingly, I thought Sam Jackson did a good job -- he wasn't playing...Sam Jackson.

But in spite of the criticisms above, I found the movie very entertaining and the 3D adding to it, as did others who viewed it with me. I especially liked his relationship with the apes (and other animals). The 3D (although on brief occasions surprisingly flat) clearly added to the movie's enjoyment with nice depth. The pop-outs helped. I don't think the 2D version would be as fun to watch.

Maybe the low $9.99 price helped influence my overall opinion, but I'm happy to have it in my 3D collection.
Thanks given by:
levcore (12-01-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #90
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Kirksville, Missouri

Just arrived and the slip is ugly. The printing makes it look like a street corner bootleg.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:14 AM   #91
Power Member

Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.

Gave this a second watch tonight and was surprised how much I enjoyed it this time around. I did not care for it on my first watch when it came out. Also the 3D was in the mild to medium range but it was still very nice in 3D.
Thanks given by:
levcore (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #92
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Yes I've watched this movie many times now and I really like it. It took a couple of views to grow on me but it's one I watch about twice a year and I always get a kick out of it. The 3D comes across very well at home.
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (03-27-2018)
Old 08-28-2019, 06:24 AM   #93
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

I watched this again yesterday. There's a cracking adventure movie buried in here somewhere, i would love to see the original cut before they hacked it to pieces. There is so much weird editing in this and choppy scenes.

Still a big fan of it though and the 3D, whilst not the strongest, has plenty of beautiful moments to shine.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies