Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39
12 hrs ago
Dracula Untold 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.99
12 hrs ago
Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$4.99
11 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.99
9 hrs ago
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Kin (Blu-ray)
$4.99
10 hrs ago
The Purge: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
Patlabor the Mobile Police: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99
 
Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
$4.99
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
stackerboy99 stackerboy99 is offline
Member
 
Jan 2013
Chicagoland Area, Illinois
504
103
Default Sharpness Level?

Hello,
I have a Samsung 43" 4KUHD TV, and am wondering what the sharpness level should be? So many people have said to have the sharpness level set to 0, but I find that the picture is too soft when it is all the way down. I currently have mine set a 10 (out of 20) and it looks fine, but am just curious as to what others have theirs set to as well and what would be recommended?
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
gooseygander2001 gooseygander2001 is offline
Active Member
 
gooseygander2001's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
Blackpool, England
59
215
Default

From my experience of having owned a few brands it can vary but...

LG Oled - neutral value is 10 (out of 100)
Panasonic Oled - neutral value is 30 (out of 100)
for all the Samsung's I have owned it has always been 0
Not sure about Sony's though I vaguely recall 50 (half way) being neutral on some older models.

hope this helps
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

LG is zero.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:21 PM   #4
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackerboy99 View Post
Hello,
I have a Samsung 43" 4KUHD TV, and am wondering what the sharpness level should be? So many people have said to have the sharpness level set to 0, but I find that the picture is too soft when it is all the way down. I currently have mine set a 10 (out of 20) and it looks fine, but am just curious as to what others have theirs set to as well and what would be recommended?
Thanks!
On Samsungs -- I have one as well -- it is my understanding that "0" (what it is set by default as in the most accurate Movie picture mode) is the correct position (verified by folks who measured it with equipment that I have spoken to) as this allows for "no oversharpening" (thus creating unnatural halos around objects and additional picture noise to be rendered and such). If you want to be absolutely 100-percent sure, you can put an HD sharpness pattern up on your display, but for me, leaving it where Samsung set it is adequate (especially since some other more professional types confirmed for me that it's right) as I see no added picture noise, grain (unless it's SUPPOSED to be there), blotchy blacks, etc. (which would pop up if the sharpness was not right).

The somewhat "softer" picture you see with sharpness at zero on your Samsung may just be a matter of getting used to it after awhile; sometimes the more accurate picture settings, as a whole, take some getting comfortable with, especially if you've been used to an overtly cold Dynamic-esque image.

But rest assured you're seeing the image (at least for films; for TV viewing, cable, etc., set it to your heart's content -- I leave my Sammy NU8000 on Standard mode with pretty much all default settings for viewing cable) as it was more or less supposed to be seen at the more accurate settings.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseygander2001 View Post
From my experience of having owned a few brands it can vary but...

LG Oled - neutral value is 10 (out of 100)
Panasonic Oled - neutral value is 30 (out of 100)
for all the Samsung's I have owned it has always been 0
Not sure about Sony's though I vaguely recall 50 (half way) being neutral on some older models.

hope this helps
My previous (and first high definition) display was a Sony SXRD rear projection set, and by default it came with sharpness set at "50" (on a scale from zero to 100), so you're correct about that -- I discovered, by using setup discs at the time, that this was far beyond what it was supposed to be (the patterns indicated it was too high), and the level I ended up landing at was "25" (so half of the default).

As you said, it depends on manufacturer; indeed, the Samsungs appear to be best at "0."
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gooseygander2001 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
x7q3 x7q3 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2018
Default

0 is the only proper setting. Why? Because the sharpness setting adds fake outlines around objects, fake outlines that aren't part of the original picture. The fake outlines block the real detail in the original picture.

However, if 0 makes the picture just too fuzzy, that is obviously unacceptable, and I would recommend raising the setting a bit. Leave it at a setting right where the picture is not fuzzy anymore and then stop raising it.

You don't want to see the fake outlines standing out visibly, but you don't want a fuzzy picture either. Therefore, try getting the setting right in between the two, where there's no visible fuzz and no visible fake outlines. This should make your TV look its best.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
panasonicst60 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
gooseygander2001 gooseygander2001 is offline
Active Member
 
gooseygander2001's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
Blackpool, England
59
215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
LG is zero.
10 for LG Oled's (B6, B8) as I had mine ISF calibrated.

0 artificially blurred/softened the image slightly - most visible in long shots of trees or buildings.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseygander2001 View Post
10 for LG Oled's (B6, B8) as I had mine ISF calibrated.

0 artificially blurred/softened the image slightly - most visible in long shots of trees or buildings.
That goes against the largely accepted wisdom of the neutral setting. I know LG themselves suggest 10 for cinema modes, but how much trust you can place in that I don't know.

The only reason I would know of setting it at 10 is in upscaling via the TVs scaler (which I've noticed is rather soft on my B8 vs. the superior scaler in my Oppo). If you were upscaling via a Oppo or Panasonic 4K player, etc., then it would surely be adding an unwanted extra layer of sharpening.

I'd be curious to learn if 10 is indeed correct for true neutral, but right now I have doubts. Rtings.com have done tests and say 0 is correct.

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
gooseygander2001 gooseygander2001 is offline
Active Member
 
gooseygander2001's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
Blackpool, England
59
215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Are you sure? That goes against the largely accepted wisdom of the neutral setting.

The only reason I would know of setting it at 10 is in upscaling via the TVs scaler. If you were upscaling via a Oppo or Panasonic 4K player, etc., then it would surely be adding an unwanted extra layer of sharpening.
Yep, I questioned it too but the ISF accredited calibrator with something of a cult following here in the UK advised that 10 was the neutral setting and why it was the default on LG Oleds just as bizarrely 30 is neutral on Panasonics...go figure...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
oddbox83 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Well, I'm keeping an open mind but I'm not going to mess with my settings just yet.

Googling it offers up a myriad of conflicting reports. Some are saying 0 is neutral, others 10. I've even found a random one saying no higher than 5. Ignorance was bliss.

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-11-2019 at 12:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gooseygander2001 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #11
gooseygander2001 gooseygander2001 is offline
Active Member
 
gooseygander2001's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
Blackpool, England
59
215
Default

Yeh...I think ultimately trust your gut and eyeballs...

FWIW I hate any visible edge enhancement and obvious DNR and love natural film grain.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7q3 View Post
0 is the only proper setting. Why? Because the sharpness setting adds fake outlines around objects, fake outlines that aren't part of the original picture. The fake outlines block the real detail in the original picture.

However, if 0 makes the picture just too fuzzy, that is obviously unacceptable, and I would recommend raising the setting a bit. Leave it at a setting right where the picture is not fuzzy anymore and then stop raising it.

You don't want to see the fake outlines standing out visibly, but you don't want a fuzzy picture either. Therefore, try getting the setting right in between the two, where there's no visible fuzz and no visible fake outlines. This should make your TV look its best.
As we have been saying, it depends on manufacturer -- it's not ALWAYS 0.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 03:45 AM   #13
sapiendut sapiendut is online now
Power Member
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseygander2001 View Post
Yep, I questioned it too but the ISF accredited calibrator with something of a cult following here in the UK advised that 10 was the neutral setting and why it was the default on LG Oleds just as bizarrely 30 is neutral on Panasonics...go figure...
The numbers are all over the place. On the LG C9 I just reviewed, 10 is neutral. On Sony 295 projector, 47 is neutral. On Panasonic FZ1000 and GZ2000, 30 is neutral. These were not tested using merely bluray pattern but using ISF Certified Murideo Six-G pattern generator thatís also used by the more serious professional calibrators.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
IntelliVolume (09-14-2019)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Tags
samsung, samsung tv, sharpness, sharpness level

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.