Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Men In Black - Trilogie 4K (Blu-ray)
€21.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
€15.99

2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
€15.99

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
€15.99

Le Corniaud (Blu-ray)
€31.76
29 min ago
X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
€24.99

Captain America: Civil War + Doctor Strange + Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 + Spider-Man: Homecoming + Thor: Ragnarok (Blu-ray)
€39.99

Iron Man 3 + Thor: The Dark World + Captain America: The Winter Soldier + Guardians of the Galaxy + Avengers: Age of Ultron + Ant-Man (Blu-ray)
€39.99

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Blu-ray)
€17.99

Shazam! (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Coffret Science-Fiction 4K (Blu-ray)
€23.99

Engrenages: Saison 7 (Blu-ray)
€20.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 10-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDA View Post
The Shout Factory release IS inferior. The revisionism argument is flimsy at best. The SF is clearly sourced from a dated master that was dug up from the MGM archives (a studio not often known for putting a lot of effort into catalogue releases). The Pathe release is from a 4K scan of the original negative supervised by Bruno Nuytten, the cinematographer. SF really don't have an amazing track record either.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue that the SF has better colours when there's no information whatsoever to suggest that the SF colours are correct. For example, the skin tones on this scene on the SF: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...3&l=0&i=5&go=1 make the actors look like they've been on sun beds for several years as they're so awfully and unnaturally red. The zooming may be because the aspect ratio on the Pathe release has been corrected to be accurate (like say with the recent release of '2001'). More disc space does not necessarily mean better compression either.

So yeah, if anyone reads this thread and is unsure which release to buy, then buy the Pathe without hesitation.
The Pathe is definitely the best edition to get, but it does have some revisionist green in the blacks and teal in the blues, which is unfortunate. It's not flimsily, because you can see it pretty plainly. That's the "modern" digital color grading look that many older films are now getting to make them look "newer." It's not overbearing though and looks better in motion than in solitary caps. Otherwise, it's a perfect set.

The Shout looks terrible by comparison, very digital and video-like with looking whites and way incorrect colors. The framing on the new discs, from the negatives, are also much more correct than the Shout, which shows too much information on the side in various places and throws off the compositions.

Last edited by Bates_Motel; 10-31-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
Kardinal (06-30-2019)
Old 10-31-2018, 07:45 PM   #22

Jan 2008

gee I don't see it,want a extra copy?? You can take the Blue tint ,and if that's the way the original looked like ,I want proof The MGM transfer is clearly older ,but I prefer it
Old 10-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #23

Feb 2011
UK

I'm curious as to how you know it is revisionist. Is it provable? Because looking at screenshots is subjective and is insufficient evidence. Have you seen the original negative and can confirm that it does not contain "green in the blacks and teal in the blues"? Or are you stating an opinion that this has the exact same colour biases as other restorations and because they are/might be wrong, the colours on the Pathe are wrong by default because of the similarities in how the restorations have received colour grading?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:57 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

The blown out contrast on the Shout set is horrible, the Pathé set might not be perfect, but it’s a massive improvement.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #25

Feb 2011
UK

PNeski, check this comparison between the SF and the original unrestored blu-ray that Pathe released in 2011: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...0&l=0&i=5&go=1.

I don't know if both releases were definitely from the same source, but they are similar enough to suggest that it's highly likely. Pathe were not putting anywhere near the same effort into film restorations in 2011 as they have in the last few years, so it's likely the Pathe was sourced from a dated DVD era transfer. Even if it isn't, then the original Pathe is from a 2011 source at the very latest. If the SF is from the same source, then it's from a 2011 or before transfer.

Look at the blocky grain in the sky, and how white the sky is on these comparisons. Now go back and see how well resolved the sky is in the restored Pathe blu-ray in the previous comparison.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #26

Jan 2008

I don't understand that link is comparing a French release with a different cover,not the one shown at the start of this thread,thats the one I got ,not that one with the blue cover
Are they the same ?? it looks like a different release without the Blue tone
Old 11-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #27

Feb 2011
UK

I stated in my previous post that this was a new comparison between the Shout Factory and the original Pathe blu-ray release from 2011, which is different from the new Pathe 2017 restored release that you own. The reason I did this was to respond to your request asking for proof that the SF is sourced from a dated master.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #28

Jan 2008

thanks ,I skipped a bit As for the new"Blue tinted " Pathe version ,I did say some things were better ,but they don't make up for the
choices made by the color timers

Last edited by PNeski; 11-01-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDA View Post
I'm curious as to how you know it is revisionist. Is it provable? Because looking at screenshots is subjective and is insufficient evidence. Have you seen the original negative and can confirm that it does not contain "green in the blacks and teal in the blues"? Or are you stating an opinion that this has the exact same colour biases as other restorations and because they are/might be wrong, the colours on the Pathe are wrong by default because of the similarities in how the restorations have received colour grading?
Because that's not how color grading was handled in the 1980s, photochemically. It's strictly a digital thing. And yes, I've seen original prints and even projected them. These are definitely the best they've looked, with those few caveats.

I've color graded many films and know how the process works, and how films looked. It's not a deal breaker, just unfortunate that some studios feel the need to give older films a more "modern" feel by using modern grading techniques to try and appeal to the masses.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:42 AM   #30

Sep 2008

I'm going to look into buying this one. I saw a part of it on tv and I like it, it's a good film.
Thanks given by:
toddly6666 (09-23-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #31

Jan 2008

no the Shout Factory disc is Better !!! better color
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France