Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
2 hrs ago
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$69.96
 
Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$23.49
13 hrs ago
Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39
 
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$18.00
 
The Prodigy (Blu-ray)
$10.00
 
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.93
4 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #17941
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
That is a mistake you and others repeatedly make. The thoughts are mine with the articles increasing the concern for MY thoughts. Those concerns are already there, they are not triggered by articles (in the main). There is evidence of this as my posts pre date said articles. There are some exceptions.
These internet articles cause you to recycle your entirely predictable predictions; everything that you read is magically "proof" of the certain and inescapable doom destined to befall the same two things: movies and large displays.

The villains vary from millenials to anyone who streams anything ever to vegans to Quibi to vertically framed videos to fill-in-the blank, but the predictions are always the same. Any combination of the above, or of anything else, will be responsible for the death of movies and large displays. The other constant to your insanity is that these depressing outcomes are absolutely unavoidable. We are all helpless to do anything but await our dire fate.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-23-2019 at 12:30 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #17942
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
You can have a discussion without insulting people. That’s my point. I do so with other members daily. A point I was trying to make with Vilya before he got anal about it. (yes, I do use those words if provoked)
I have to be anal when talking to you because I know where your head is permanently lodged.

Any disagreement with your nonsense "provokes" you and you are guilty of every unpleasant thing that you accuse others of doing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #17943
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
A sub? Somewhere in the Atlantic with a 1 year boarding pass.
I'm sure you'd make the sure the hatch was open when giving the "dive!" order, too.

I think you and I have bonded enough for one day. I am going to watch a movie now on my 60" 4K 3D TV and listen with its awe inspiring 40 watt internal backwards facing speakers. panda am I!

Last edited by Vilya; 09-23-2019 at 12:39 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #17944
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
These internet articles cause you to recycle your entirely predictable predictions; everything that you read is magically "proof" of the certain and inescapable doom destined to befall the same two things: movies and large displays.

The villains vary from millenials to anyone who streams anything ever to vegans to Quibi to vertically framed videos to fill-in-the blank, but the predictions are always the same. Any combination of the above, or of anything else, will be responsible for the death of movies and large displays. The other constant to your insanity is that these depressing outcomes are absolutely unavoidable. We are all helpless to do anything but await our dire fate.
You forgot Object Based Broadcasting. That one is going to have huge impact. I wouldnít be surprised if the ability to have edited highlights that keeps a stories structure becomes more popular than the full length version. Itís the world we live in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #17945
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
You forgot Object Based Broadcasting. That one is going to have huge impact. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ability to have edited highlights that keeps a stories structure becomes more popular than the full length version. It’s the world we live in.
You see so many threats out there that one needs a chart to keep track of them all.

Object based broadcasting has been discussed for years and it is still practically non-existent. It has had no noticeable impact of any kind. If it ever is offered in any discernible quantity it will just be another option among many. I am not afraid of it; I have not even encountered any such content.

Object based broadcasting being a danger to movies is the fantasy world that you live in. There is no evidence of it even being remotely popular let alone being a threat to movies. I admit, however, that this idea does not appeal to me at all and I suspect that many will feel the same way.

New forms of entertainment do not frighten me. I see them as just another way to potentially have fun, never the ONLY way to have fun.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-23-2019 at 03:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #17946
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
You see so many threats out there that one needs a chart to keep track of them all.

Object based broadcasting has been discussed for years and it is still practically non-existent. It has had no noticeable impact of any kind. If it ever is offered in any discernible quantity it will just be another option among many. I am not afraid of it; I have not even encountered any such content.

Object based broadcasting being a danger to movies is the fantasy world that you live in. There is no evidence of it even being remotely popular let alone being a threat to movies. I admit, however, that this idea does not appeal to me at all and I suspect that many will feel the same way.

New forms of entertainment do not frighten me. I see them as just another way to have fun, never the ONLY way to have that fun.
Object based broadcasting isn’t here yet. It’s about 2-3 years away. Object based audio is way more advanced time wise though. It’s about to be used in several different set top boxes and various equipment including BT in the U.K. apparently it will allow for best use scenarios with Dolby Atmos and other surround audio as well as stereo. It will adapt to whatever device is being used and offer user controlled levels of adjustment to ensure the best experience for that device, be it a streaming box, set top box or mobile device. It will use meta data from the object based recording and determine where certain sounds are in relation to the viewer.

OBB isn’t just another option. It will form the basis of all video and audio content. Be it director’s cuts and extra footage or a film or tv show edited to a much shorter length. It will allow interactive experiences and allow the consumer to effectively be a editor. In short, it sounds ****** abysmal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #17947
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Power Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
46
613
Default Over the Moon for 4K

Nice article about movies and disc here.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (09-25-2019), gotmule (09-23-2019), The_Donster (09-23-2019), Vilya (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #17948
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Object based broadcasting isn’t here yet. It’s about 2-3 years away. Object based audio is way more advanced time wise though. It’s about to be used in several different set top boxes and various equipment including BT in the U.K. apparently it will allow for best use scenarios with Dolby Atmos and other surround audio as well as stereo. It will adapt to whatever device is being used and offer user controlled levels of adjustment to ensure the best experience for that device, be it a streaming box, set top box or mobile device. It will use meta data from the object based recording and determine where certain sounds are in relation to the viewer.
I read the BBC description here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/object-based-media

and it did nothing to spark my interest. I might give it a try if it ever materializes, but I can't see myself enjoying all of this "interaction"; I like to veg out and relax when I watch stuff. If I wanted to "interact", I would just play a video game.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-23-2019 at 03:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #17949
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I read the BBC description here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/object-based-media

and it did nothing to spark my interest. I might give it a try if it ever materializes, but I can't see myself enjoying all of this "interaction"; I like to veg out and relax when I watch stuff.
It sounds crap. Bastardisation of content is what springs to mind. The enemy to coherent, immersive storytelling. It’s not just the BBC working on it though. American companies are circling and our own BT are ahead of the game. It’s coming, make no mistake. I have been tracking this stuff for four years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #17950
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It sounds crap. Bastardisation of content is what springs to mind. The enemy to coherent, immersive storytelling.
I want to see where the movie's director takes me, not where I can take the director.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #17951
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I want to see where the movie's director takes me, not where I can take the director.
Exactly, do you at least see where Iím coming from with this? Iím all about preservation of film. Itís a art form, not a toy to be manipulated by viewers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #17952
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Nice article about movies and disc here.
From the article that you linked to:

"Catalog in particular has surged to become a meaningful driver of consumer engagement, with newly available classic franchises fueling a 25% growth in 4K UHD disc sales across the industry,” added Universal’s Cunningham."

4K discs continue to see strong sales growth; 25% is on par with the rate of growth that subscription streaming enjoys, not that I am suggesting that 4K discs will ever have that level of popularity. It is great to see that people appreciate the 4K disc format and that they are enthusiastically supporting it.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-23-2019 at 03:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #17953
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Exactly, do you at least see where I’m coming from with this? I’m all about preservation of film. It’s a art form, not a toy to be manipulated by viewers.
I see why you would not like the concept. It doesn't appeal to me, either. That does not mean that I see it as a threat, though.

It feels like a fad that people will lose interest in quickly, but even if they embrace the idea it will never be the ONLY way to watch a movie. Thus, I remain unconcerned.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #17954
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I see why you would not like the concept. It doesn't appeal to me, either. That does not mean that I see it as a threat, though.

It feels like a fad that people will lose interest in quickly, but even if they embrace the idea it will never be the ONLY way to watch a movie. Thus, I remain unconcerned.
I just feel there are too many threats like this for film to survive the next 20 years. The temptation to edit a films length will be too much for the younger generation. I guess my theory on attention spans will be very apparent with this service as all the stats will be transparent. How many millions are watching full shows as opposed to edited content.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #17955
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

You do not have a "theory" on attention spans; theories have a basis in fact. What you have is a baseless opinion derived solely from your dislike of millenials and their use of smartphones, nothing more than that. The scientific studies, plural, on attention spans are not wrong; but you are.

We do not have a lot of threats to movies. What we have are a lot of entertainment choices and that has been the case for a very long time already. Despite all of these many choices, movies are doing just fine and that is because people love watching them. I do not see that changing and certainly not in favor of this proposed interactive idiocy.

How many times have we been warned that the new thing will destroy the old thing? TVs were supposed to kill movies and both of these were supposed to harm books. None of it happened. Books are safe. Movies are safe. Everything is just ducky.

I remember a grade school teacher of mine who wanted The Three Stooges to be banned from broadcast TV; she was certain that school children nation wide were going to blind and injure each other mimicking the Stooge's slapstick antics. People have many unfounded fears that never materialize.

One of the aspects of this Object Based Borecasting crap is that it will let the viewer make choices that guide the narrative direction and outcome of the movie. This will involve being bombarded with menu choices every few minutes and I think that will begin to annoy people after the novelty wears off. Ironically, having to make such decisions repeatedly could require more attention to be paid than just passively staring at a screen.

It reeks of being a silly fad and I think people will tire of it fast. Having to make a choice every few minutes when viewing content will get old in a hurry. I get y just thinking about it.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-23-2019 at 04:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #17956
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
You do not have a "theory" on attention spans; theories have a basis in fact. What you have is a baseless opinion derived solely from your dislike of millenials and their use of smartphones, nothing more than that. The scientific studies, plural, on attention spans are not wrong; but you are.

We do not have a lot of threats to movies. What we have are a lot of entertainment choices and that has been the case for a very long time already. Despite all of these many choices, movies are doing just fine and that is because people love watching them. I do not see that changing and certainly not in favor of this proposed interactive idiocy.

How many times have we been warned that the new thing will destroy the old thing? TVs were supposed to kill movies and both of these were supposed to harm books. None of it happened. Books are safe. Movies are safe. Everything is just ducky.

I remember a grade school teacher of mine who wanted The Three Stooges to be banned from broadcast TV; she was certain that school children nation wide were going to blind and injure each other mimicking the Stooge's slapstick antics. People have many unfounded fears that never materialize.

One of the aspects of this Object Based Borecasting crap is that it will let the viewer make choices that guide the narrative direction and outcome of the movie. This will involve being bombarded with menu choices every few minutes and I think that will begin to annoy people after the novelty wears off. Ironically, having to make such decisions repeatedly could require more attention to be paid than just passively staring at a screen.

It reeks of being a silly fad and I think people will tire of it fast. Having to make a choice every few minutes when viewing content will get old in a hurry. I get y just thinking about it.
Object Based Broadcasting is more of a threat via its ability for the viewer to alter the length of a show or films on the fly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #17957
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Nice article about movies and disc here.
I need to sit down and watch this movie. Iím a big Sam Rockwell fan and I love how he finds a way to work his little dance into whatever role heís in
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #17958
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Object Based Broadcasting is more of a threat via its ability for the viewer to alter the length of a show or films on the fly.
The more you raise the alarm, the less anyone will listen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #17959
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
151
3902
3672
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I need to sit down and watch this movie. Iím a big Sam Rockwell fan and I love how he finds a way to work his little dance into whatever role heís in
I need to watch it also.

I haven't even decided what to watch first on my new TV! Less than 48 hours until its scheduled arrival!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (09-25-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #17960
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is online now
Expert Member
 
Apr 2017
362
2894
643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
One of the aspects of this Object Based Borecasting crap is that it will let the viewer make choices that guide the narrative direction and outcome of the movie. This will involve being bombarded with menu choices every few minutes and I think that will begin to annoy people after the novelty wears off. Ironically, having to make such decisions repeatedly could require more attention to be paid than just passively staring at a screen.
That sounds like a video game by Telltale. Those games sold so well that the company went bankrupt and had to shut down.

But sure, Steedeel, go ahead and stick with your fears that interactive movies will replace all other forms of entertainment. There clearly isn't any evidence to the contrary (at least not any evidence that you'll pay attention to).
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:34 AM.