Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.20

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.75

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Bait (Blu-ray)
$7.69

Clash of the Titans 3D / Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.00

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$16.38

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better active or passive?
Active 88 67.18%
Passive 43 32.82%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #41
Power Member

Oct 2007

check to make sure the panasonic is on the proper setting. most tvs are set to vivid. you need to try thx or something else to get a better picture.
you should try it again. I think you will notice the difference.
Jacob
Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #42
Banned

Aug 2009
Cincinnati, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubystone356 View Post
check to make sure the panasonic is on the proper setting. most tvs are set to vivid. you need to try thx or something else to get a better picture.
you should try it again. I think you will notice the difference.
Jacob
I went ahead and bought the vizio passive 3d set... and WOW!!! I love it!! The trailers for Open Season look amazing!!!! The laptop was hooked up to the TV so I put some things like Avatar, Jackass 3D (Sky rip), Piranha 3D. When I watched these movies at the theater they looked okay but at home I was amazed how great they looked. Piranha looked freaking awesome!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #43
Expert Member

Jan 2009
Pawnee, IN

Looked at 3 passive sets at BB. The lines are noticeable from any distance. I understand it's cheaper and that people will always defend their purchases...

But the worst was a playback of the NBA Finals. The lines were extremely distracting and while the 3D itself was fine, I don't see what the point is if it's covered in that awful crap. I watched the NBA Finals in 3d at a friends on an active set and that was sensational, it felt like you were there and the resolution was full without any distracting lines.

Additionally, the underwater IMAX display I saw on an LG 60, the 3d popouts were amazing, but the lines were clearly killing the image quality.

I honestly don't see how anybody can't see them? What's the point in 3D without full resolution?

Personally, I have yet to buy a 3D tv and have been viewing tons of sets. But if companies go Passive, they are being lazy and are simply going to kill 3d before it even gets started. I feel it's similar to the Wii which was really interesting at first, but nobody cares about it anymore. People will think passive 3d is 'cool' but will eventually stop watching because of the lack of full resolution and the distracting lines.

I will definitely be buying an active set, which if companies fully support, 3d Tv will become the norm. The picture is simply beautiful, maybe a little dark but that's it and that can be fixed. The benefit of cheap glasses for passive tv is meaningless if you aren't viewing full quality picture that the disc itself is capable of.

Anyway, my two cents. I'm still saving up for a 3dtv, but I'm definitely going to save up more to get the real active hd sets. Passive is cheaper for a reason, and I get that cheaper can be better, but the difference in quality is way higher than I imagined after viewing the 3 sets I did today for the first time.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #44
Power Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Looked at 3 passive sets at BB. The lines are noticeable from any distance. I understand it's cheaper and that people will always defend their purchases...

But the worst was a playback of the NBA Finals. The lines were extremely distracting and while the 3D itself was fine, I don't see what the point is if it's covered in that awful crap. I watched the NBA Finals in 3d at a friends on an active set and that was sensational, it felt like you were there and the resolution was full without any distracting lines.

Additionally, the underwater IMAX display I saw on an LG 60, the 3d popouts were amazing, but the lines were clearly killing the image quality.

I honestly don't see how anybody can't see them? What's the point in 3D without full resolution?

Personally, I have yet to buy a 3D tv and have been viewing tons of sets. But if companies go Passive, they are being lazy and are simply going to kill 3d before it even gets started. I feel it's similar to the Wii which was really interesting at first, but nobody cares about it anymore. People will think passive 3d is 'cool' but will eventually stop watching because of the lack of full resolution and the distracting lines.

I will definitely be buying an active set, which if companies fully support, 3d Tv will become the norm. The picture is simply beautiful, maybe a little dark but that's it and that can be fixed. The benefit of cheap glasses for passive tv is meaningless if you aren't viewing full quality picture that the disc itself is capable of.

Anyway, my two cents. I'm still saving up for a 3dtv, but I'm definitely going to save up more to get the real active hd sets. Passive is cheaper for a reason, and I get that cheaper can be better, but the difference in quality is way higher than I imagined after viewing the 3 sets I did today for the first time.
I totally agree with your statement. I own the panasonic tcp50gt25. its a wonderful set and full 3D.

Jacob
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007

I agree i didnt like the lg's picture at all, you could clearly see the difference in detail and brightness vs any of the active sets.

I ended up with a samsung d7000 series and wow watched the included shrek 3 blu disk and the detail is amazing in 3d. I just wish the set handled fast motion better as im seeing clouding issues with it. Very much thinking of taking it back for a gt31 panny plasma which looked amazing while at the store. I keep telling myself that the d7000 is a very nice set and also about 400 bucks cheaper, but i keep feeling like i should just pack it up and bite the extra cost for the panny display.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #46
Power Member

Oct 2007

I had clouding problems on my lcd as well. I didnt like that problem at all. I do get a better picture with my panasonic tv. I would recommend the plasma.

Jacob
Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #47
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Nice article on this subject:

LG Fires Another Round In The 3D Format War-HD Guru Analysis

http://hdguru.com/lg-fires-another-r...analysis/5020/
Old 07-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

My fiancée and I looked at the LG passive sets last weekend, we wanted to have look before we commited to buying a Samsung pn59d8000 plasma. Only a few seconds after my fiancée put the glasses on she commented about how bad the PQ is on the LG passive models compared to active sets, and I agree with her.

Last edited by Cevolution; 07-08-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
My fiancée and I looked at the LG passive sets last weekend, we wanted to have look before we commited to buying a Samsung pn59d8000 plasma. Only a few seconds after my fiancée put the glasses on she commented about how bad the PQ is on the LG passive models compared to active sets, and I agree with her.
If you can wait, next year there should be some passive sets that have full 1080p resolution in 3D mode.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #50
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagast View Post
If you can wait, next year there should be some passive sets that have full 1080p resolution in 3D mode.
Yeah I know, but the active glasses to us are just fine, they are very comfortable, light weight and fit over both our prescription glasses with no probs. Also next year samsung might change the colour of their 8000 series led and plasma tv range from silver back to black too, which I don't want because I like silver gear.

Last edited by Cevolution; 07-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #51
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth
USA

I saw this short video regarding passive and active 3d glasses. Thought I'd share with you guys.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_353345342_1?ie=UTF8&node=2248313011&p f_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=product-alert&pf_rd_r=19NK2VF89Z3KM419BHFK&pf_rd_t=201&pf_ rd_p=1294370402&pf_rd_i=B0053Y7T1G

It sort of helped me decided on which TV to buy. I ended up buying the Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 3D tv.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QX6E7K

Kewl huh...
Old 07-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
Yeah I know, but the active glasses to us are just fine, they are very comfortable, light weight and fit over both our prescription glasses with no probs. Also next year samsung might change the colour of their 8000 series led and plasma tv range from silver back to black too, which I don't want because I like silver gear.
Fine. But for those who don't like the negative issues with active, and they don't like the negatives with passive, the 3rd gen 3D sets will take care of both.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #53

Dec 2009
Miami

The LG demo I saw at Best Buy looked horrible, the scan lines were totally unacceptable IMO. I honestly can't believe the product looked that bad. Anyone who has one of the Vizio passive sets, can you please comment whether they also have these terrible scan lines or not.
I really want to get a passive set, but would rather go with the Vizio 47 inch passive now than wait another 1-2 years for the hybrid active screen/passive glass screens, but the scan lines would be a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately Wal-Mart does not have a 3D demo set up for the Vizio. Also, part of me thinks that Best Buy may have just done an awful job setting up the LG demo, cause I can't believe any company would put out a set with such a glaring flaw.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #54
Power Member

Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS76 View Post
The LG demo I saw at Best Buy looked horrible, the scan lines were totally unacceptable IMO. I honestly can't believe the product looked that bad. Anyone who has one of the Vizio passive sets, can you please comment whether they also have these terrible scan lines or not.
I really want to get a passive set, but would rather go with the Vizio 47 inch passive now than wait another 1-2 years for the hybrid active screen/passive glass screens, but the scan lines would be a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately Wal-Mart does not have a 3D demo set up for the Vizio. Also, part of me thinks that Best Buy may have just done an awful job setting up the LG demo, cause I can't believe any company would put out a set with such a glaring flaw.
i found quite the opposite love the 3d on lg passive tvs
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #55
Power Member

Mar 2005

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node...d_i=2248313011
I'll take this over shutters glasses any day of the week
can use glasses from the theatres
Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagast View Post
Fine. But for those who don't like the negative issues with active, and they don't like the negatives with passive, the 3rd gen 3D sets will take care of both.
In theory yes, but until anyone sees 1 running then they could end up being crap, and might not be perfected until the 4th or even 5th gen. Besides I personally don't think there are any negatives with active glasses, well at least not with samsungs active glasses anyway. They are very comfortable, light weight and fit over both my fiancée's and my prescription glasses with no issues.

Though last years Samsung models did suffer from bad crosstalk issues, it has been greatly improved this year to the point where most reviews have quoted that some of this years Samsung models have the best 3d they seen so far on any tv. Also the issue with the glasses quickly turning off and back on (changing from darker to lighter and then back to being darker again all with in a split second) apparently has been corrected too with the indroduction of Bluetooth tech.

As for some people thinking active glasses are too dark, I don't think they are really. It might appear that way in retail stores because there is so much light, but at home they are not really much darker than using passive glasses at the cinemas. The price of active glasses shouldn't be much of a concern either, because they are coming down in price and if u wait for the right time to buy a 3dtv then u can get pretty much all the pairs u will need for free anyway.

Last year I got 6 pairs of active glasses for free (it was supposed to be 5 pairs, but I was a bit cunning and managed to get a 6th pair), plus a 22" led tv (which I put on top of my fridge so I can watch tv while I'm cooking and preparing food) and 4 3d blu-ray movies for free also all via redemption from Samsung for buying 1 of their tv's. They are apparently repeating the same deal here in Australia in a few months time, but it may be with a 3d blu-ray player included this time instead of the 22" led tv. I would have bought a pn59d8000 already otherwise, but I'm just waiting for the promotion to begin.

Last edited by Cevolution; 07-14-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

I purchased an LG 47LW5600 from Amazon for $949. I've been waiting for 3D with cheap glasses and this set seems awesome. I haven't seen passive 3D in action but I've been reading mostly positive reviews on this particular unit.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #58

Dec 2009
Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_1958 View Post
i found quite the opposite love the 3d on lg passive tvs
It may be possible that Best Buy did a poor setup of the 3D demo. I watched clips of IMAX Under the Sea and a game where a dragon came out of the screen, also a clip of a basketball game, but the scan lines or "screen door effect" were obvious and ugly on each clip. Are you saying you don't see these scan lines at all on your set at home? If so, then just wow at Best Buy for their demo setup.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS76 View Post
It may be possible that Best Buy did a poor setup of the 3D demo. I watched clips of IMAX Under the Sea and a game where a dragon came out of the screen, also a clip of a basketball game, but the scan lines or "screen door effect" were obvious and ugly on each clip. Are you saying you don't see these scan lines at all on your set at home? If so, then just wow at Best Buy for their demo setup.
Yeah Best Buys employers are really going downhill. I drove to my nearest BB last weekend (almost 2 hrs away!) just to look at the LG. I asked the salesman to show me the unit and he couldn't figure out where the remote was. He looked for about 10 seconds literally. Their customer service really sucks...at least at my location.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #60
Expert Member

Jan 2009
Pawnee, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_1958 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node...d_i=2248313011
I'll take this over shutters glasses any day of the week
can use glasses from the theatres
And LG and others are capitalizing on you. It's an inferior product...and cheaper FOR A REASON. That's fine for plenty of people in this country, and that's all fine and good, but if you want to compare the techs it's not even close. Pure fact my friend. Passive 3d could kill 3d's chances because people will eventually realize the poor quality after being excited at first, and assume that that is what 3d is.

Passive might be full resolution one day, but not today.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion