Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.88

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Clash of the Titans 3D / Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.67

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$15.68

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #41

Aug 2013

Good article Zivouhr....I remember Sean Cunningham talking about Friday the 13th 3D and the complexity but similarly saying once they got the hang of it..ti was relatively straightforward as Scott suggests.

PS _ read camp crystal lake memoirs...its brilliant and a whole chapter on 3D....They actually build wonky and over exaggerated sized sets to accentuate the 3D...stunning and overkill BUT TRUE !!!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #42

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
Yeah, I hear that. I saw Flesh for Frankenstein 3-D a couple of times when it opened in NYC because it was in 3-D, but I never could stand the film. The only thing I like it about is Daria Nicolodi -- Asia Argento's mother -- as the bride. Anyhow, you can always turn off the sound to examine the film technically instead of for entertainment, like when you're switching news live in the control room with a wall of monitors in front of you. I used to watch movies with a dp colleague who could tell which raw stock was used just by looking at it, the film speed, the focal length, and the f stop. Then we'd talk about set-ups. Somebody who was brilliant at this, and in the workshops he taught, was the director Robert Wise. He was a lensman to rival Stanley Kubrick, and infinitely more sophisticated in his set-ups. But I digress far from Stephen Gibson. Shooting footage locked down at a single, optimal interaxial adjusting convergence only for close-ups is not new. That's exactly how Jack Arnold directed his 3-D films. Vastly under-rated director, Arnold. Even his standard flat films are dimensional in blocking and composition. That's how Marty Sadoff shot Friday the 13th 3-D. If that film offers nothing else, it offers deep depth and sustained pop-outs without breaking up or ghosting. The Spacevision lens is fixed; instead of changing to another focal length they had to simply move the camera closer or further away and adjust accordingly.
Greta stuff...Friday the 13th Director Cunningham also states they experimented a lot with 3d....they realised they could make the 3d even deeper and in your face by tilting both cameras into the object rather then keeping them stationary....never been done before but proved very very in your face.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #43
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul5939 View Post
Good article Zivouhr....I remember Sean Cunningham talking about Friday the 13th 3D and the complexity but similarly saying once they got the hang of it..ti was relatively straightforward as Scott suggests.

PS _ read camp crystal lake memoirs...its brilliant and a whole chapter on 3D....They actually build wonky and over exaggerated sized sets to accentuate the 3D...stunning and overkill BUT TRUE !!!
Yes, definitely a learning curve to get used to everything, but good to hear Ridley Scott is very comfortable and happy with 3D filming now.

Oversized sets to make the 3D better/more effective, interesting, thanks.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Yeah, I remember reading that too and it really impressed me that they did that. Rather ingenious. Kinda like Alfred Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder, with the giant phone they built for the close-up shot in 3D.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (06-26-2016), paul5939 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:40 AM   #45
Power Member

Nov 2014

They did something like that with the otherworld sets in Coraline (although those sort of films by their nature are filled with deliberately wonky sets already).

I think it's fun to do this, but the camera limitations that once would have necessitated it are no longer an issue. It's always good to read about filmmakers taking that kind of care about getting a satisfying 3-D experience.

Sets and locations should still be layered so that they're interesting in 3-D. A composition that looks great in 2d can reveal a lot of distance and dead empty spaces in 3-D.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-06-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:10 AM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Quote:
There's always the documentary film which goes into some of the 3D filming process, in case there are people out there who don't like to read. Plus, it's a really well done documentary on the F13 series.
Thanks given by:
paul5939 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:38 PM   #47
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Finally pre-ordered it today. This is basically a blind buy for me since I've never seen it before.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #48
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Metal Storm looks like it was likely inspired by Mad Max in some ways. There are lot of lower budget films that were similar during that time in the "post apocalyptic, desert vehicle sub genre", but generally fun to watch, including Warriors of the Lost World, where a warrior rides his talking motorcycle and battles against a villain (from 007) and an army of raiders.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #49
Power Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Metal Storm looks like it was likely inspired by Mad Max in some ways. There are lot of lower budget films that were similar during that time in the "post apocalyptic, desert vehicle sub genre", but generally fun to watch, including Warriors of the Lost World, where a warrior rides his talking motorcycle and battles against a villain (from 007) and an army of raiders.
certainly looks like it. Spacehunter also gets that comparison.

My hope is that the success of the recent Mad Max film will contribute to a resurgence of interest in that era benefiting the Metalstorm 3D Blu-ray release, and bringing other titles into consideration.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #50
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

I hope so. I would like to see more of these Mad Max inspired movies on video. I know they're showing more of them on some of the retro/sci fi channels.
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012

I edited the initial post to insert two missing pages. My thanks to Interdimensional for noticing the oversight.
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (07-05-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Definitely one of Bands better films.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #53

Jan 2010

Quote:
Quote:
Greta stuff...Friday the 13th Director Cunningham also states they experimented a lot with 3d....they realised they could make the 3d even deeper and in your face by tilting both cameras into the object rather then keeping them stationary....never been done before but proved very very in your face.
Huh? Sean Cunningham was not involved in the production of Friday The 13th: Part III. Steve Miner was the producer and director of that sequel.

Or am I missing something?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #54
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Pre order online has dropped in price on amazon.com to $23.99 I see to possibly match the distributor's website. I have to check again.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:53 AM   #55
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Shout Factory's site says it'll ship 2 weeks early, so that's a bonus even if amazon has matched the price already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post
Finally pre-ordered it today. This is basically a blind buy for me since I've never seen it before.
I was able to check out some anaglyph 3D of this video and it secured a sale from me. As suggested by others, looks like mostly strong 3D and will look much better in regular stereo 3D blu ray. If you're also a fan of this genre, this should be fun 3D entertainment.

UPDATE: Price at 22.39 at amazon.

Last edited by Zivouhr; 07-13-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #56

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougartiger View Post
Huh? Sean Cunningham was not involved in the production of Friday The 13th: Part III. Steve Miner was the producer and director of that sequel.

Or am I missing something?
apologies meant Miner buddy.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #57
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

This looks like a fun movie to watch in 3D.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Review posted in the vanilla thread. Verdict: Very well done.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=41
Thanks given by:
bavanut (08-16-2016), Paul H (08-17-2016), revgen (08-17-2016), VanDammage80 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #59

Jun 2011
Burbank, California
Default StereoVision vs. ArriVision Quality

I anticipate that Metalstorm is going to look better on Blu-Ray than any over-and-under 3-D film of the 1980s thus far. This recent review seems to confirm my expectation.

Metalstorm was filmed using Chris Condon's StereoVision lenses, with some additional photography using John Rupkalvis's remarkable StereoScope unit. StereoVision lenses could sometimes pose practical problems on the set-- witness the testimony of Worth Keeter and others who worked with StereoVision on the Earl Owensby films-- but the results onscreen speak for themselves. Contemporary reviews for Metalstorm very often remarked how sharp and bright and comfortable the stereo imagery was, especially as compared against other then-recent efforts.

Jaws 3-D was filmed mostly using the ArriVision lenses. Amityville 3-D was filmed entirely in ArriVision. Both flicks are plagued by chromatic aberration and extremely high values of screen parallax.

Comin' At Ya! was filmed using Optimax III. I have a soft spot for Optimax III, I think because of the chutzpah that went into its design choices. But it has its definite limitations, and those limitations were not properly taken into consideration by the makers of Comin' At Ya!, resulting in very problematic stereo imagery and, for many, a disappointing Blu-Ray experience. (This is no fault of the releasing video label, MVD, who in my view are to be commended for making the film available.)
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (08-16-2016), deltatauhobbit (08-17-2016), MercurySeven (08-17-2016), notops (08-17-2016), Paul H (08-17-2016), revgen (08-17-2016), Robert Furmanek (08-16-2016), VanDammage80 (08-17-2016), Zivouhr (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 12:38 AM   #60
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Interesting info, thanks Mike.

Looking forward to checking this out in 3D soon.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies