Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Hitchcock: British International Pictures Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Annabelle Comes Home (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Gemini Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
4 hrs ago
Gemini Man (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 06-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York
Default New game console from Atari

https://www.ataribox.com

Discuss.
Thanks given by:
The Valeyard (06-12-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2006

Here's my guess: IF....(and this is a big IF)....IF there really is an Ataribox, my guess is that it will be a console filled with retro Atari games (both arcade games and games from every Atari system that was ever made) a la Nintendo's Classic NES.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:03 AM   #3

Dec 2012
Wanna see my Tardis? :D

You guys can have this. I'm done with retro/re-hash consoles.

I sticking to gaming in 160x192 btw. (How is that even possible??!? LOL!)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:47 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
Here's my guess: IF....(and this is a big IF)....IF there really is an Ataribox, my guess is that it will be a console filled with retro Atari games (both arcade games and games from every Atari system that was ever made) a la Nintendo's Classic NES.
That's exactly what it looks like to me.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:41 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
Didn't Atari already do that with the "Classic Atari Game Console" that came with 101 built-in games in a smaller design? You can find them in Staples stores last time I checked they were on clearance for around $40.

https://www.staples.com/CLASSIC-ATAR...roduct_2406349

They also did a Sega Genesis one too:
https://www.staples.com/SEGA-CLASSIC...roduct_2415399
Old 06-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Special Member

Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
Didn't Atari already do that with the "Classic Atari Game Console" that came with 101 built-in games in a smaller design? You can find them in Staples stores last time I checked they were on clearance for around $40.

https://www.staples.com/CLASSIC-ATAR...roduct_2406349

They also did a Sega Genesis one too:
https://www.staples.com/SEGA-CLASSIC...roduct_2415399
You're right, they do exist. However, the ones you described above are made by a company called AT Games. Here's the problem, though -- AT Games is not a very reputable company, and their products are rather shoddy at best, poor quality, and do not employ quality emulation technology.

Now, if this Ataribox is legit, it will be manufactured by Atari itself. The things you described above are not certified Atari products. If Ataribox is the real deal, it will be the first console directly from Atari since the early 1980s and into er, uh, 1990?, when we had their 2600, 5200 and 7800 consoles, and then the 64-bit Jaguar. So, if true, were looking at the "genuine article" that would only be emulated and/or programmed by Atari software engineers themselves.

Until then, only time will tell.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Atari confirms its real.

Last edited by Scarface32; 06-16-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:46 AM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2006

Sounds real enough to me now....

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/06/16/ataribox/

Atari CEO Confirms New Gaming Console With the “Ataribox”

Video game company Atari helped define the electronic entertainment industry from the 1970s to the mid-1980s with its iconic products such as Pong and the Atari 2600, but it hasn’t created a gaming console in over twenty years.

Now, current CEO of Atari, Fred Chesnais, recently shared in an interview with GamesBeat during E3 2017, that the company is finally delving back into the gaming division by creating a new console.

“We’re back in the hardware business,” he said.

Atari teased a new product called the “Ataribox” last week through a non-Atari web site, however, many people believed it to be false, although, little did they know that the video was showcasing a “brand new Atari product years in the making.”

With the console reportedly based on PC tech, Fred Chesnais also expressed that the console’s design is still in its infancy and the official reveal will be announced at a later date.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #9

Oct 2012
Louisiana

Why can't they just come out and say whether it's going to be a box filled with lame old Atari games that no one wants to play or if they are going to once again try their hand against the current consoles? Why keep us wondering?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Why can't they just come out and say whether it's going to be a box filled with lame old Atari games that no one wants to play or if they are going to once again try their hand against the current consoles? Why keep us wondering?
There's no way they're going to create anything current. It'll probably just be a redesigned box that looks like the old wood panel VCS using PC parts that plays the old games riding the nostalgia wave that's going on right now. Also see ZX Spectrum Next (although that also functions as a computer and still has a good homebrew following).

My question, is it just pre-Jaguar stuff or also Jaguar?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I won't lie, seeing that classic logo still gives me the feels!
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I won't lie, seeing that classic logo still gives me the feels!
Same here, as long as we forget about E.T!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Atari wouldn't be stupid enough to get into the actual console wars. I'm sure it's just all the classic games. MAYBE another try at an android based console priced at $99.99. But that seems unlikely.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

They should really just make an emulator like the NES Classic, but have the ability to play all Atari cartridges. It would sell like crazy.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
Atari wouldn't be stupid enough to get into the actual console wars. I'm sure it's just all the classic games. MAYBE another try at an android based console priced at $99.99. But that seems unlikely.
I would actually love it if they did try to get into the console wars. A brand new angle that no one has tried before.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

One thing that's important to remember is that "Atari" is just a name now. The company currently using the name has NOTHING to do with the original company.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
One thing that's important to remember is that "Atari" is just a name now. The company currently using the name has NOTHING to do with the original company.
Doesn't mean they can't be a force again? Employ some true gaming people and tech guys. Yes, so it's a pipe dream, but we can imagine!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

First look at the new consoles:

Old 07-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Some text to go along with the pictures:

Quote:
Our objective is to create a new product that stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari.

Inspired by classic Atari design elements (such as the iconic use of wood, ribbed lines, and raised back); we are creating a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports (HDMI, 4xUSB, SD). We intend to release two editions: a wood edition, and a black/red edition.

As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs. It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content.

We know you are hungry for more details; on specs, games, features, pricing, timing etc. We’re not teasing you intentionally; we want to get this right, so we’ve opted to share things step by step as we bring Ataribox to life, and to listen closely to Atari community feedback as we do so. There are a lot of milestones, challenges and decision points in front of us in the months ahead. We’ll be giving you lots more information and status updates as we progress, and we are thrilled to have you along for the ride!

Hope you like where we are taking this, we’ll be in touch soon.

The Ataribox Project team.

PS: Please let us know what you think via our social channels; and also please like, follow, subscribe, and share as much as possible!
Source: http://mailchi.mp/fe72ea5be6f5/first...n?e=8d784fab15
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
Some text to go along with the pictures:

Source: http://mailchi.mp/fe72ea5be6f5/first...n?e=8d784fab15
Happy memories.