Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99
15 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.20

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.59

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.31

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$15.86

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #41
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekke henkie View Post
Why do think that? If Avatar hadn't been in 3D, would it have had the same amount of sales you think? I beg to differ, but I do understand that a theater needs additional revenues in order to invest in the additional equipment for 3D (and disposable glasses).
Avatar was the first big film in this current wave of 3D, so it is exceptional for a few reasons, shouldn't be held up as an example of much. But I think even Avatar would have done well in 2D.

I doubt many people who saw Guardians of the Galaxy, for example, in 3D, would have passed on seeing it if it was only offered in 2D. It would have made less money without the higher 3D ticket prices, but I bet the number of tickets sold would be about the same.

Last edited by Dragun; 08-11-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #42

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragun View Post
Avatar was the first big film in this current wave of 3D, so it is exceptional for a few reasons, shouldn't be held up as an example of much. But I think even Avatar would have done well in 2D.

I doubt many people who saw Guardians of the Galaxy, for example, in 3D, would have passed on seeing it if it was only offered in 2D.
Not true, to view 3d is like 4 extra bucks and still people viewed more in 3d then 2d, some people like the 3d experience. .......its more engaging
Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #43
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
Not true, to view 3d is like 4 extra bucks and still people viewed more in 3d then 2d, some people like the 3d experience. .......its more engaging
According to 3D was 45% of GotG's opening weekend ticket sales. Really strong, but definitely not more than the 2D sales. It's not like all those people who saw it in 3D would have stayed home if it was only shown in 2D.

I'm not denying that there are many people who like 3D. I'm just saying that 3D's not getting people to buy tickets to movies they otherwise wouldn't have seen, nor is it getting people who don't see many movies to go see more movies. MAYBE that's the case in markets like China, but I'm having a hard time finding stats on ticket sales (versus revenue). China is a growing market in general, not even taking 3D into account, while the US is saturated with screens.

Last edited by Dragun; 08-11-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:03 PM   #44
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Talking 3D Cinema Is Here To Stay

Michael V. Lewis is the co-founder and CEO of RealD, the world’s largest 3D cinema platform with more than 32,000 screens in 72 countries.

"For example, nearly half of all domestic moviegoers who saw “Jurassic World” chose to view the feature in 3D. That means almost 50% of the U.S. box office for that blockbuster was made up of audience members willing to pay a premium for a better experience. Furthermore, 43% of domestic moviegoers bought 3D tickets for “The Jungle Book,” and 46% of the domestic opening weekend box office for “Doctor Strange” came from 3D ticket sales — and the format held strong with nearly 40% of the film’s total domestic gross coming from 3D. These figures are significant. In any other industry, percentages like these for sales of a premium offering would be considered a massive success.

Our internal research shows roughly 80% of all North American moviegoers are open to a 3D experience. We should lean in and embrace them.

So, what needs to be done? For starters, 3D cannot be an afterthought. As productions are carefully crafted from beginning to end, 3D needs to be imagined from the start and be a part of the creative process from capture to delivery. 3D films need to be made properly and with purpose, thoughtfully marketed and always presented with technical excellence in theaters."

And hence, they make more money as they charge more for 3d.

Sounds encouraging to me. This should in theory help to keep some titles coming to 3d blu-ray.

Link: http://variety.com/2017/voices/colum...es-1202535879/

August of 2017

Last edited by wildbill722; 03-18-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (12-31-2017), hasslein (01-01-2018), ilovenola2 (12-31-2017), Joe D. (01-01-2018), levcore (12-31-2017), mar3o (01-01-2018), revgen (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
Washington state

All these threads that aren't about a specific movie should be posted in the 3D general discussion area and not in the normal 3D threads.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Note the “nearly” half is based upon a film from two years ago. And also note they’re still trying to sell RealD to someone.

Fitprod
Old 12-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #47
Special Member

Dec 2015
Canada

"made up of audience members willing to pay a premium for a better experience" -> I would say "different" rather than "better" though. Of course it's PR talk so he has to say that... but 3D definitely doesn't equate to better for me - it's just a different (and mostly very enjoyable) experience. I'll never want to have only a 3D version in my collection and not the original 2D version.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #48
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
Note the “nearly” half is based upon a film from two years ago. And also note they’re still trying to sell RealD to someone.

Fitprod
RealD was already sold over two years ago.

Quote:
In November 2015, RealD announced it would be sold to private-equity firm Rizvi Traverse Management, LLC for approximately $551 million.[17] The merger was completed in February 2016 and Mr. Lewis continues to serve in the role of Chief Executive Officer after reinvesting his equity stake in the company.[18]
LINK
Old 12-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #49
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

He's right about 3-D being an afterthought with some studios. The recent slate of Marvel movies is starting to change that. Doctor Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 are embracing the format, albeit as conversions, but very well done conversions. Marvel can afford to do it though. A film with a sub 100 million dollar budget like Underworld: Blood Wars really can't afford a first class conversion, which is why shooting native is so imperative with mid-budget and low-budget 3-D films.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:59 PM   #50
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

XXX Return of Xander Cage had a sub 100mil budget and features a spectacular 3D conversion. Although I'm not trying to negate your point as in the vast majority of cases that's very true. I guess the majority of 3D movies are bigger budget affairs anyway though. That does mean there's no excuse for lacklustre 3D conversion.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:04 AM   #51
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

This is is why it's so frustrating to see the TV industry actively kill it off just to promote UHD.
Thanks given by:
Alan A (01-03-2018), Plissken Fan (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #52

Jul 2017
england

Most customers watch sub par streaming, sd and hd at best

3d and k4 are super when done well, just dont see why it has to be one or the otherfor the manufacturers
Thanks given by:
Plissken Fan (01-01-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #53

Mar 2010
Default Are you a moderator?

All these threads that aren't about a specific movie should be posted in the 3D general discussion area and not in the normal 3D threads.

reewinder, Are you a moderator?
Old 03-16-2018, 01:10 AM   #54
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by reewinder View Post
Where they go to die.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #55

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Where they go to die.
There's already a 3D Movies Coming Soon thread in the movies forum so really this does belong here as a general discussion around a news article.

There are a lot of very similar "future of 3D" threads already, to be honest it always makes my heart sink a little when I see another one created or an old one resurrected...
Old 03-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #56
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
There's already a 3D Movies Coming Soon thread in the movies forum so really this does belong here as a general discussion around a news article.

There are a lot of very similar "future of 3D" threads already, to be honest it always makes my heart sink a little when I see another one created or an old one resurrected...
I agree. No more threads for me on the future of 3d. No need to start or participate in them or even read them.

Look at this one. Over 1,000 views and only 12 responses, with half of the responders going for the jugular on why 3d is dead, and the other half being concerned with protocol. Trying to be optimistic but really turns out be depressing and nothing accomplished. It is what it is. It's a done deal. If 18,000 people couldn't get lg to change it's mind how can we.

There is a great record, thanks to this site, of what happened in the 3rd wave of 3d. Maybe it will spur those on who have not seen an oled 3d tv or Thor in 3d to re-discover and improve 3d. Who knows?

The upside is we got great 3d tvs and over 700 blu rays to watch. But we are the last group to see this wonderful and best iteration of 3d. I guess it's not so bad after all. The future watchers will never know what they missed anyway.

Last edited by wildbill722; 03-17-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Thanks given by:
the13thman (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #57

Jul 2015

Quote:
I
But you are right. What's the point about talking about a done deal. If 18,000 people couldn't get lg to change it's mind how can we.

Am I being too depressing or just a realist?

The upside is we got great 3d tvs and over 700 blu rays to watch.
I didn't know that the e-petition had reached 18,000. I didn't expect the e-petition to have any effect on LG's decision but I e-signed it.

Eighteen-thousand, type-written, carefully thoughtout and reasonable letters sent via regular mail to LG, now that is likely to have an effect. At least LG would know that a reasonably sized market exists for 3D displays. Filling market demand is what corporations should be all about. Doesn't mean they would change their minds but ...

I have over 200 3D blu-rays to watch and thats great!! Unfortunately, my 3D display is showing weird symptoms. At the moment, it is not replaceable.
I want a replacement option!! Sending out the most positive waves into the Universe that I can.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #58
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Hey Dhvs fan:

What kind of weird symptoms is your tv having? Now that there are no substitutes for our 3d tvs when they go down I am watching to see what to look out for in the future. Hope the problem passes and sending out vibes as well!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #59

Jun 2011
Burbank, California

Sorry to hear about your TV, dhvsfan. My LG passive died close to a year ago.

Do not overlook projectors. There are a number of good models, many at reasonable prices. I have an older Optoma projector that is still going strong, thank Heaven.

Do not overlook head-mounted displays. The forthcoming Oculus Go looks promising. I can attest that a decent Android phone coupled with a Homido (or other brand) headset can be an acceptable and reasonably priced option for personal 3-D movie viewing.

In other words, all is not lost, not by a long shot.
Thanks given by:
the13thman (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #60

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
I agree. No more threads for me on the future of 3d. No need to start or participate in them or even read them... Trying to be optimistic but really turns out be depressing and nothing accomplished.
I know you mean well, but there is definitely no need to start any more general threads about the future of 3D at home. By all means keep participating in the "is 3D dead?" thread in this forum or the one in the TV/display forum or other such threads, like your "if you waited" thread or the "general public and 3D" thread - the discussion is already split across quite a few threads.

As you no doubt understand, many people here (myself included) do get sad and/or angry about what's happened to 3D TV so it's really important that the ongoing discussion doesn't keep on fragmenting into multiple threads because whatever the intent they all ultimately end up having interchangeable posts and a cumulatively depressing effect. You wouldn't believe how many identical ones I've merged together already and how many are still left to review...

The future of 3D movies though, that's a different discussion and one that deserves its own thread. I seriously doubt theatrical 3D is going anywhere.

Last edited by the13thman; 03-17-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added links
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion