Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99
15 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.10
12 min ago
Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.59

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.31

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$15.86

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 11-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2015
Christ Church, Barbados
Warner Bros Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D Blu-ray (2019) [Region Free] [POKEMON]

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D Blu-ray

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K + 3D Blu-ray

Quote:
The world of Pokémon comes to life!

The first-ever live-action Pokémon movie, “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” stars Ryan Reynolds as the titular character in the first-ever live-action movie based on the iconic face of the global Pokémon brand—one of the world’s most popular, multi-generation entertainment properties and most successful media franchises of all time.

Fans everywhere can now experience Pikachu on the big screen as never before, as a talking detective Pikachu, a Pokémon like no other. The film also showcases a wide array of beloved Pokémon characters, each with its own unique abilities and personality.

The story begins when ace private eye Harry Goodman goes mysteriously missing, prompting his 21-year-old son Tim to find out what happened. Aiding in the investigation is Harry’s former Pokémon partner, Detective Pikachu: a hilariously wise-cracking, adorable super-sleuth who is a puzzlement even to himself. Finding that they are uniquely equipped to communicate with one another, Tim and Pikachu join forces on a thrilling adventure to unravel the tangled mystery. Chasing clues together through the neon-lit streets of Ryme City—a sprawling, modern metropolis where humans and Pokémon live side by side in a hyper-realistic live-action world—they encounter a diverse cast of Pokémon characters and uncover a shocking plot that could destroy this peaceful co-existence and threaten the whole Pokémon universe.

“POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” also stars Justice Smith (“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”) as Tim; Kathryn Newton (“Lady Bird,” TV’s “Big Little Lies”) as Lucy, a junior reporter following her first big story; and Oscar nominee Ken Watanabe (“Godzilla,” “The Last Samurai”) as Lt. Yoshida.

Directed by Rob Letterman (“Goosebumps,” “Monsters Vs. Aliens”), the “POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” creative filmmaking team includes two-time Oscar nominated director of photography John Mathieson (“The Phantom of the Opera,” “Gladiator”), production designer Nigel Phelps (“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Lies”) and Oscar-winning editor Mark Sanger (“Gravity”). Visual effects are by Moving Picture Company (“Wonder Woman”) and Framestore (“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”).

Launched in 1996 to overwhelming response, the Pokémon brand is a global sensation that now encompasses a robust video gaming fandom with over 300 million units sold worldwide; the Pokémon Trading Card Game available in 11 languages with more than 23.6 billion cards shipped; an animated television series in its 21st season that is available in more than 160 countries; and over 20 animated films; as well as books, manga comics, music, toys, merchandise, and apps, including the wildly popular Pokémon GO, that has been downloaded over 850 million times and is enjoyed across the globe by fans of all ages.

“POKÉMON Detective Pikachu” is set for release on Friday, May 10, 2019.

The film will be distributed outside of Japan and China by Warner Bros. Pictures, in Japan by Toho Company, Ltd. and by Legendary East in China.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 05-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Thanks given by:
Destinys Memory (05-11-2019), infiniteCR (05-01-2019)
Old 11-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2015
Christ Church, Barbados

Old 11-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #3

Apr 2018

I'd love to be surprised by this but everything about this (animation, premise, voice acting) looks ****ing atrocious.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Thanks for posting the details and news, Creed.

This is the first I've heard of this film, though it reminds me of something Michael Bay did to the Transformers. Even so, hopefully they're going for strong 3D, and being Warner Bros., maybe it'll arrive on blu ray 3D.

If they go for the stronger 3D of TMNT 1 and 2, or most of the recent Marvel films, then this could be watchable for me.

For the first live action Pokemon movie, I feel they should've went with Ash as the main character, with his hat, and not have Pokemon talk like Ryan Reynolds with a detective hat, but they wanted to go this route so it'll be interesting to see how it does in theaters. Hopefully it's not like a Mario Brothers live action film.
Thanks given by:
Creed (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Thanks for posting the details and news, Creed.

This is the first I've heard of this film, though it reminds me of something Michael Bay did to the Transformers. Even so, hopefully they're going for strong 3D, and being Warner Bros., maybe it'll arrive on blu ray 3D.

If they go for the stronger 3D of TMNT 1 and 2, or most of the recent Marvel films, then this could be watchable for me.

For the first live action Pokemon movie, I feel they should've went with Ash as the main character, with his hat, and not have Pokemon talk like Ryan Reynolds with a detective hat, but they wanted to go this route so it'll be interesting to see how it does in theaters. Hopefully it's not like a Mario Brothers live action film.
Yeah, i'm really surprised that this movie is going to be distributed in the U.S. and in Canada by Warner Bros. (who they also distributed the first three Pokemon animated movies in the U.S. and in Canada), originally it was gonna be distributed by Universal Pictures from what i've read online.

I'll be very happy if this movie get a blu ray 3D release (if it's a Best Buy exclusive with Trading Cards) here in the U.S. by Warner Bros., but lately Warner Bros. has been making hard for me to get 3D discs here because of the whole M.O.D. (Manufactured On Demand) situation, and to make matters worse Warner Bros. has also been leaving out the Dolby Atmos audio track on the 3D disc and leaving that track to only the 2D and 4K discs, they haven't been making easy for me.

Rob Letterman is the director of this movie, i was impressed with the 3D in Monsters Vs. Aliens, however i was letdown with the 3D in Gulliver's Travels, i also felt the 3D in Goosebumps was lackluster, so i'm really worried how the 3D is gonna turn out in this one.
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (05-11-2019)
Old 12-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Special Member

Jan 2014

This movie looks very interesting! The cgi is extremely well-done and the whole presentation appears to be first-rate. The fact that they advertise the 3D prominently combined with the manner in which the scenes in the trailer were shot gives the impression that 3D could be very well utilized.

The probable mod 3D disc will be a day one buy for me.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
Default Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019) Blu-Ray 3D

set for release in Germany

https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-news/...ltra_hd_bluray

Last edited by mredman; 04-30-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:44 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

I admit I buy a lot of junk because it's in 3D, but this stuff is just....
Old 05-01-2019, 02:05 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biss Skyler Bluray View Post
Yeah, i'm really surprised that this movie is going to be distributed in the U.S. and in Canada by Warner Bros. (who they also distributed the first three Pokemon animated movies in the U.S. and in Canada), originally it was gonna be distributed by Universal Pictures from what i've read online.

I'll be very happy if this movie get a blu ray 3D release (if it's a Best Buy exclusive with Trading Cards) here in the U.S. by Warner Bros., but lately Warner Bros. has been making hard for me to get 3D discs here because of the whole M.O.D. (Manufactured On Demand) situation, and to make matters worse Warner Bros. has also been leaving out the Dolby Atmos audio track on the 3D disc and leaving that track to only the 2D and 4K discs, they haven't been making easy for me.

Rob Letterman is the director of this movie, i was impressed with the 3D in Monsters Vs. Aliens, however i was letdown with the 3D in Gulliver's Travels, i also felt the 3D in Goosebumps was lackluster, so i'm really worried how the 3D is gonna turn out in this one.
If the 3D was strong in this one, that would be of interest, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
... An acquired taste? It looks interesting, but not enough to get me into theaters based on the trailers so far. I like the cartoon, but I can see why they made Pikachu a tougher sounding character to lure in a more grown up audience, compared to if he squeaked the whole movie as in the cartoon.

At the same time, credit to this filmmaking team for at least matching the look of the characters, unlike the Sonic live action movie, where Sonic looks like a human wearing a Mascot Costume.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #10

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
...this stuff is just what 3D was meant for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
At the same time, credit to this filmmaking team for at least matching the look of the characters, unlike the Sonic live action movie, where Sonic looks like a human wearing a Mascot Costume.
I watched the Sonic trailer yesterday, it looks like an abomination... at least with Paramount releasing it we don't have to worry about buying that one...
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (05-11-2019), mredman (05-01-2019), robtadrian (05-11-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Even so I would rather all 3D films be released on 3D Blu ray, no matter how poor the movie looks/ is.
Thanks given by:
mredman (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #12

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Even so I would rather all 3D films be released on 3D Blu ray, no matter how poor the movie looks/ is.
As would I.

But given how badly received the trailer has been and how unfavourably it's been compared to Detective Pikachu, perhaps Paramount will not even bother converting the film to 3D in the first place....
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (05-08-2019), mredman (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
As would I.

But given how badly received the trailer has been and how unfavourably it's been compared to Detective Pikachu, perhaps Paramount will not even bother converting the film to 3D in the first place....
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #14

Oct 2009
GA

Wow... it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't even known they were making Sonic the Hedgehog movie. And from the the trailer I just watched... what a abomination it is. I'm glad Paramount is going to loose tons of money on this... greedy bastards!

You have lost my support when you dropped your 3D blu-ray releases. You get no sympathy from me.

Now Pokemon on the other hand... if WB release 3D blu-ray, it's day one purchase for me! Which they should given the track record so far. Thank you WB!
Thanks given by:
the13thman (05-03-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #15
Expert Member

Jan 2018
Switzerland
-
-
-

Wow, I really liked this. Had to drive 45min to another cinema chain for the 3D but it was really worth it. The cinema chain there is showing the 3D in English once a day and in French twice a day, which is really good and more than usual for animation. I exchanged some emails with the head programmer there two weeks ago when he failed to programme Missing Link in 3D, perhaps that played a role. Thankfully and surprisingly, the 3D showings are all packed (all acceptable seating sold out) for the next few days, which will hopefully show him the demand for it, and by extension the distributors like Warner.

Mostly medium 3D, some strong moments (a few obvious popouts, but most things beyond the frame were contextual foreground objects or characters in close-up), but consistently enjoyable. Lots of dimension to appreciate within the depth; both indoor and outdoor scenes (from cityscapes to forests) were generous in terms of different dimensional points of reference. So the result, though technically not very strong 3D, was very immersive. Very well framed for 3D by director Rob Letterman, who has experience directing both 3D live action and 3D animation (his 3 previous films being Goosebumps, Gulliver's Travels, and Monsters vs. Aliens, all 3D - I bought them last year but have yet to see them ).

I really think this is going to be enjoyable on 3D blu-ray (we BETTER get one Warner), especially if the 3D is stronger than the cinema experience. It's such a visually nice film generally, lots of colourful pokémon and "poké-action" of course, while Ryme City is very well conceived. Like Zootopia, the film welcomes you to a well-developed utopic city, and then takes you on a detective storyline that ends up quite epic. In fact the more I think about it, the more I see some glaring plot similarities with Zootopia, but not too many.

They got the comedy/emotion/drama balance and tone just right, and it actually doesn't depend on Ryan Reynolds' charm/charisma, not nearly as much as I expected it to. I would watch a sequel without him, believe it or not. Nor does it wildly promote the Pokémon franchise, but rather subtly show just how much material it contains; lots of cameos, none a waste of screentime. Indeed there are a lot more stories to be told in the world they've created (I'm sure a sequel is already in the works). Justice Smith is really a great actor when given the chance (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom wasted his talents in the role of the petrified nerd).

If no 3D preorders pop up, I'll be really disappointed. We'll see. As I've had to explain quite a bit recently, studio heads in 2019 will be looking carefully at theatrical 3D statistics (which are declining rapidly in the US particularly) and literally won't even be noticing 3D blu-ray sales (which are no longer specified in the home video division reports they receive). Support your 3D cinema showings if you can
Thanks given by:
carlfab (05-10-2019), mredman (05-10-2019), robtadrian (05-11-2019), the13thman (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
...this stuff is just what 3D was meant for!

I watched the Sonic trailer yesterday, it looks like an abomination... at least with Paramount releasing it we don't have to worry about buying that one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post

Completely agree. It's amazing what does and does not actually end up getting released in 3D though.
Thanks given by:
the13thman (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #17
Expert Member

Nov 2017

Amazon France has Pokémon - Détective Pikachu up for pre-order but no 3D option yet. Amazon Italy has placeholders for Blu Ray and DVD but no 3D either. Hopefully that changes or the German edition pops up or maybe something from the UK so we can get a 3D blu ray.
Thanks given by:
Instacredit (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ
India/Bollywood

Pre-orders are up at Amazon India, so that's a good sign.

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K + 3D Blu-ray

Last edited by Deciazulado; 05-10-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Thanks given by:
pixote (05-09-2019), rwc (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #19
Expert Member

Jan 2018
Switzerland
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixote View Post
Amazon France has Pokémon - Détective Pikachu up for pre-order but no 3D option yet. Amazon Italy has placeholders for Blu Ray and DVD but no 3D either. Hopefully that changes or the German edition pops up or maybe something from the UK so we can get a 3D blu ray.
I wrote to Warner France earlier today (in French) about this, telling how worthwhile the 3D is, how successful it was this week in my local cinema, telling them how appreciated their support for 3D blu-rays is, and asking them to release one for this title if still possible. Honestly though I have a bad feeling about this one. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Just seen ryanmcv's post from a minute ago. Good stuff.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:29 AM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

German Preorder up for a release in Oct 2019

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product...clG7-M0YPD_BwE
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
3-d, live action, pokemon, ryan reynolds, warner