Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.97
1 hr ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 04-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Mar 2019
Western Oregon
Default Need help deciding on a budget projector-screen combo.

Hi everyone. I'm new to projectors and have spent the past few weeks researching options. I posted in another thread, posing a question on pairing Carl's ALR screen material with the Optoma UHD50. My post was on an older thread and for obvious reasons didn't receive any responses. Since then I have done more research and have come up with what look to be better options.

I am seriously ocd and will dig for all the info I can and then spend more time weighing options before I settle on a choice. I really like the looks of the Optoma UHD60 but I'm thinking the UHD50 makes more sense for me given its lower cost and, as far as I can tell from reviews, pretty solid performance.

The new 4K DLC units appear to produce a stunning picture that would suit me just fine. The only issue I see is with contrast and black level, coming from a Samsung 65" 4K with very good contrast. I already know that a 100" projector screen will put the 65" panel in the dust for impact. I just don't want to give up too much contrast and black level in the trade.

That is where the ALR screen comes in. Today I was looking at the options from Elite Screens. Their Cinegrey 3D and 5D both look like they would serve my purposes very well. The only real issue I see is with throw ratio and the limited space in my HT room. My Room is 11'9" deep. The closest I can place the lense is about 10' 7" or so from the screen.

Elite states a minimum throw ratio of 1.5 for both the 3D and 5D. I'm guessing the narrow reflective angle of the material would be the reason for this. The 5D has a tighter reflective angle and would probably be the less forgiving of the two. But I wonder if the 3D might let me get away with the shorter throw. Seating in the HT room is limited to straight in front of the screen so that isn't an issue. I just want to know what my chances are of avoiding hot spots and achieving good uniformity.

Am I way off base here? What are my chances that this pairing might work? What other options might anyone suggest?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

I have a CineGrey 5D and it does a great job in my less than suitable living room (white walls, white ceiling, a TV cabinet with a glass plate on it in front of the screen, reflective laminate flooring etc). I still have to wait until it's dark outside before using my projector, but this ALR screen does a really great job at preserving black levels and contrast. Picture quality has improved drastically when compared to my previous matte white screen that I was using.

There are tradeoffs however. First of all, Elite is not exactly known to be an A list brand and their QC is not always up to par tbh. I went through three screens before I got one that was good. In other words, there are other more high end brands out there with better screen material quality. But these are much more expensive if you need tab tensioned like me and are hard to come by in my country. I chose Elite because they're one of the very few who do ALR (which is an absolute must for me) that I could get a hold of. If I had a spare room which could be treated all the way, I would have went with another brand and would have been willing to spend more money on a screen.

Also there is some unavoidable hotspotting and sparkles, but nothing too serious that would ruin the picture. Other than that, the picture looks really great! For me personally, the advantages easily outweigh the disadvantages.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #3

Mar 2019
Western Oregon

Thanks for the reply DJ. Looks like you have great setup. I'm fortunate that my HT space has only one window. It is opposite the display which sucks but it's easy to blackout too, makes light easy to control. I think ill prob go with the 3D just because it's my best chance at good PQ. I'm am worried about throw ratio being too low since my PJ ends up closer to the screen than recommended. It's a risk I guess I'll have to take. I will call elite first though, just see if they give me any more hope or just say no way.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movieslug View Post
Thanks for the reply DJ. Looks like you have great setup. I'm fortunate that my HT space has only one window. It is opposite the display which sucks but it's easy to blackout too, makes light easy to control. I think ill prob go with the 3D just because it's my best chance at good PQ. I'm am worried about throw ratio being too low since my PJ ends up closer to the screen than recommended. It's a risk I guess I'll have to take. I will call elite first though, just see if they give me any more hope or just say no way.
I think they will probably stress that you take into account the recommended throw ratio for their ALR screens. They already do that on their site. But it wouldn't hurt to call and ask them for advice ofcourse.

Either way, good luck in your search!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

Mar 2019
Western Oregon

Thanks again bro. I found a thread with photos over at AVS that showed Cinegrey 3D, 120" screen from iirc 12'. The OP measured it at 17% uniformity and it looked bad. I doubt it would work any better for me since my ratio would be the same.

I'm most likely over thinking the contrast and black level issue anyway. The UHD50 will probably do fine even on a white screen or better yet a high contrast grey in my dark room. If it won't work i can always return it for the UHD60 or something better.

I did find one new ALR From Sceen Innovations with 1.2 minimum throw. But its only available in their pricey screens. For that money i could buy a projector like the Epson 5040UB that definitely doesnt need help with black levels in the dark.

I've got some time before I make a final choice on the projector anyway. I like the UHD50 mainly because of its 1.2 minimum throw but the UHD60 or any other with throw around 1.36 and zoom range will still make a 100" screen in my little HT room. I will post again once i make a final decision.

Last edited by Movieslug; 04-14-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #6

Mar 2019
Western Oregon

Thought I should post back with one bit of new info. Or rather the correction of a math error on my part. Ive been stuck on screen diag measurement and using this in my throw ratio calculation. Throw ratio isn't based on screen diag size but rather screen width. In fact, using screen width of 87" for a 100" diag 16:9 screen, and lense distance of 10' 9", I end up with a throw ratio of 1.48 and change. That really isn't far off from 1.5 and is about 1 point better than the case I was referring to above.

Looking back at that thread once more and the photo I remembered looking bad, it really isn't that terrible. In fact the worst of it is on the right side and is caused more by the lense shift being used. With brightness adjustment and the ectra bit of throw ratio ill have, i may not be so bad off with the cinegrey 3d. Hmmm, maybe its worth a try atleast.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors