Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.88

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Clash of the Titans 3D / Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.67

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$15.68

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dracula 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England
Question 3D Blu-ray manufactured on-demand (MOD) ?

I wonder if this could ever be a possibility? Iím sure most of us would be happy to accept BD-R if it meant getting more 3D films. If they made it region free, I think there would be a market.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
Expert Member

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I wonder if this could ever be a possibility? I’m sure most of us would be happy to accept BD-R if it meant getting more 3D films. If they made it region free, I think there would be a market.
As long as they're $10 or less including shipping. I'm not paying much more for a BDR. Most of the CDR stuff I burned as backups 19-20 years ago are coasters now as the thin metal they used to cover the plastic degrades over time and evaporates. I'm not paying for something that will self-distruct over time
Old 09-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixote View Post
I'm not paying for something that will self-distruct over time
You mean like a car?
Thanks given by:
T. Warren Scollan (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
Expert Member

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
You mean like a car?
Well, I've never gone into a garage only to find out that the hood of my car was missing because it was exposed to oxygen lol
Thanks given by:
cdhinrichs (Yesterday)
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
As long as they're $10 or less including shipping. I'm not paying much more for a BDR. Most of the CDR stuff I burned as backups 19-20 years ago are coasters now as the thin metal they used to cover the plastic degrades over time and evaporates. I'm not paying for something that will self-distruct over time
We can’t expect them to be £10 or less. Blu-ray is more reliable than DVD anyway and to be honest, I still have recordable discs from 15 years ago that are fine.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

WB currently manufactures all their 3D titles as made-on-demand, but they're still pressed discs.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #7

Nov 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I've wondered this as well. Seems like at the very least, VUDU could provide a 3D on-demand service. I wish more studios would follow the Alita model, and make a 4k/3D bundle.

I think 3DBR on demand would only happen if an organized group or retailer like Zavvi put their weight behind it.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-11-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

Sep 2019

10.00 for a new release, especially on demand: not going to happen. Unless it's a mass market release and certainly no Blu ray 3D release is mass market. It's not much different than print on demand services. Physical copies, you're paying for a service and you have to expect cost in that.

I am currently working on a personal Blu ray 3D project of my own and expect to get it out at some point, late this year or early next. I have a quote from one replication studio and for disc authoring alone, it makes it cost prohibitive to sell it for less than 20.00 unless you sell thousands of copies.

So to save cost I will be doing the disc authoring myself and might just have them do the replication for a number of copies. But there is still cost involved per disc as well as I'm donating some proceeds per disc as well.

For a small run of 1000 copies if you had them do everything you'd have to charge between 25-35 dollars to make it worth doing. Blu ray 3D has never been cheap though so can't expect it to be any less now.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
Special Member

Jan 2019

Quote:
Lucky for you most MOD discs are pressed.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #10

Sep 2019

Paramount, Disney and Sony can't even be bothered anymore to provide 3D movies to digital services like Vudu. We're probably talking about something as simple as taking an existing asset (1080P sbs video file), adding it to a queue (with the 2D video files) and clicking "send".

There are already mechanisms in place for studios to easily make 3D movies available for home viewing to US customers. They literally don't want to provide the product.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion