Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
€64.85

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
€24.99

Iron Man 3 + Thor: The Dark World + Captain America: The Winter Soldier + Guardians of the Galaxy + Avengers: Age of Ultron + Ant-Man (Blu-ray)
€39.99

Captain America: Civil War + Doctor Strange + Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 + Spider-Man: Homecoming + Thor: Ragnarok (Blu-ray)
€39.99

John Wick Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
€25.55

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
€33.67
6 hrs ago
X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
€19.99

Iron Man + Incredible Hulk, The + Iron Man 2 + Thor + Captain America: The First Avenger + Avengers (Blu-ray)
€49.99

Aladdin 4K (Blu-ray)
€24.99
23 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
€19.99

Aladdin (Blu-ray)
€19.99

Vikings: Season Five Part 1 (Blu-ray)
€34.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
How are the forced French subtitles placed?
Annoyingly.

I moved the film to a different media and while I was at it I popped the Cannon intro back where it was.

Amazed I bought this for 9,99 and it was a Steelbook before I even knew about Steelbooks!

Fantastic video transfer -almost made me weep

As for the subtitles some Philips/Oppo machines move them almost out of frame but to answer your question all single line text is outside the 2.35:1 (approx) frame and double line text is and .

Screengrab (untouched 1080p PNG):

Certainly the best pirate movie ever made with the 1st POTC a close 2nd (which so-ripped this off).
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #22
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Annoyingly.

I moved the film to a different media and while I was at it I popped the Cannon intro back where it was.

Amazed I bought this for 9,99 and it was a Steelbook before I even knew about Steelbooks!

Fantastic video transfer -almost made me weep

As for the subtitles some Philips/Oppo machines move them almost out of frame but to answer your question all single line text is outside the 2.35:1 (approx) frame and double line text is and .

Screengrab (untouched 1080p PNG):

Certainly the best pirate movie ever made with the 1st POTC a close 2nd (which so-ripped this off).
wow, thanks for the extensive info!
So do you think I should just blind-buy this blu-ray even with the forced subtitles?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Quote:
So do you think I should just blind-buy this blu-ray even with the forced subtitles?
Have you never seen the movie?

If you've never seen it the Blu-ray is a big expense and I don't like forced subs (which is why I remove them). If you're watching the movie for the first time and really fancy it then the Blu-ray is the way to go as it's magnificent. I've always loved the movie but a lot of people didn't agree when it was released. Hopefully a new audience is out there since POTC (although there's not much CGI in Polanski's movie! ).

Still at Amazon 19,19 / U$29 http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B001Q8UOVU
Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #24

May 2009
Paris, France

Polanski's Pirates is a great movie. It's very odd-paced, yet epic and sarcastic.

The BD price is really steep though, and not everyone agrees on the picture quality.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:22 AM   #25

Apr 2009

Is this OOP? Only 199 Euros on Amazon France now!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:23 AM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Just sent you links for 2 different places @ less than 40 shipped.

Don't know if it's OOP but it's getting rarer. You have Polanski fans, crazy Steelbook fans and pirate fans. That's a lot of potential buyers. I heard someone actualy swapped a yacht for one.

I've seen it go for 20-30 so it's a matter of searching and waiting. It's a balance

The distributor (TF1) seems much more interested in VOD and trying to replicate the worst of British TV.

Case (click for full size):

Nice!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

maybe it making the transition from steelie to amaray case.
the Tf1 bds don't stay steelbooks forever.
who knows.
I really like Polanski, and kind of want to get this.
obviously Paramount will never release it in a billion years on bd in the US.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

I found this on ebay.fr for $15 EUR

Can't wait to get mine!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #29
Blu-ray Insider

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by totentanz View Post
Is this OOP? Only 199 Euros on Amazon France now!
it's not OOP. Sometimes you can find it at 15 euros.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
it's not OOP. Sometimes you can find it at 15 euros.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

It looks like both the DVD and Blu-Ray are out of print and unavailable new anywhere. And only 2 years after their release. I've always noticed CDs and DVDs don't stay in print very long in Europe, very disappointing.

I never got a chance to pick this up, always meant to. But I don't have a regionless BR player, so I held off buying the BR, and it seemed pointless to buy a DVD with PAL speed-up when there was a BR available. So now I have neither of them and they're going for insane amounts. Grrrrrr.

If anyone knows where to pick up either disc for a reasonable price, please PM me. Thanks!

Last edited by James Luckard; 08-08-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

40 http://www.priceminister.com/offer/b...VD-Zone-2.html 2 available.

Also 2 on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk:80/itm/260823975106 and http://www.ebay.co.uk:80/itm/400230304855 (had 3 -1 sold)

Not sure I'd pay that but since it's one of my favourite films and it's a beautiful Steelbook I might.

I think the most I've ever paid for a standard release is maybe 33. That was a lot but it was still cheap (to me) and I buy from all around the world getting bargains nearly every time -so if it's the odd title then I'll go with it.

There's no borders buying from around the world just get things setup correctly and do your homework and keep searching. Were it me with Pirates I'd be scouring the Benelux if I couldn't afford 40. Or I'd pay the 40 and buy 2 and then sell it on to help cushion the total cost.

And mind when on eBay remember to use http://www.ebay.be or http://www.ebay.fr etc etc. Some sellers may ship internationally but not necessarily list their goods outside those areas (ie you can't see them going via eBay.com or eBay.co.uk etc). Your eBay login is good all over the world including strange places like http://www.eBay.at (Austria -put a couple of shrimps on the barbie! ).

If anyone is stuck and can't get something reshipped I will try and help -I'm in the UK. But mind this thread gets hammered with Google so you're not the only person reading this.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #33
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Is this movie very unlikely to be released on blu-ray in other countries?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

I picked mine up today in my favorite NYC import store!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Is this movie very unlikely to be released on blu-ray in other countries?
Yes, it's unlikely to even be released on legit video. Apparently the rights reside with Paramount in the US, but since the film was one of the most notorious financial disasters of the 80s, they have never even released it on DVD. It was released on DVD in a few random countries, usually in 4:3 or dubbed versions.

The film apparently has a following in France and was co-financed by a French studio. This BR is by all accounts far and away the best the film has ever looked on home video, and the best it ever will, since I can't imagine we'll see another physical media format after BR.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Just bought from the 2nd ebay seller, as their shipping was 8 Euros, vs 15 Euros from the other one. I don't yet have a way to play the disc, but I'm sure I'll get a regionless BR player eventually, and I'd be kicking myself forever to miss a Polanski film on BR, no matter how weird it might be. (I'd probably even rebuy WHAT? on BR )
Old 08-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK
Default pirates vhs

Glad you got one!

I don't think Paramount/Viacom own the rights of this film Stateside. They may own some digital (streaming) or non-home video rights via an old contract from 1987. There was no "streaming" or Internet then though so Viacom have been pushing their luck with titles' perceived copyright/licensing but know to avoid anything like Pirates because the people who own the film outright have very deep pockets and good lawyers.

For home video I'd say MGM have the rights for North America or maybe even LionsGate. MGM used to list that information themselves but their copyright may have expired. For another release to arrive on Blu-ray they'd need to spend a lot of money to loan the transfer or obtain their own materials. MGM do that? Unlikely. LionsGate? Maybe a remake with Jason Van Statham.

There's several very good DVDs of this in Spain and Poland -all the full versions too. Be careful with other releases as they may be the 'short' version with 15mins excised.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

And mind even though there is some PAL content (I believe) on this and it's locked to B this disc will play on any PC Blu-ray ROM player anywhere in the world. DVD/Blu-ray ROM (or drives) allow around 5 changes to a region and even then you can change that by using a tiny program that resets it.

A good region free software player for DVD and Blu-ray http://www.digiarty.com That aught to allow you to make screngrabs too of any disc. That should (although I've not tested it as I made my own disc) remove the user prohibitions too like forced menus and forced French subtitles on the English track.

Movies shouldn't have borders.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Pirates in Italy

Now listed http://www.amazon.it/dp/B0065YFK5A/
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #40

Sep 2012

Hi, I have been reading this forum and this particular post with interest - I am a big Polanski fan and have a copy of Pirates on Blu Ray in the steel box. I have registered with this forum to comment on the subtitles issue for English speakers. It seems to be the belief on here that there is an issue with the removal of these subtitles as they are 'forced'. Not the case guys - the disc can be watched on your Blu Ray player with English audio and no French subtitles. I'm watching it now, on my Sharp Aquos BD21 - no comments please!

Here's how:

1: Pop the disc in the player and go to the top menu
2: Select the menu option 'Versions'
3: Select 'Version Francaise'
4: Play Film
5: When playback starts, press the button on your remote marked 'Audio'. This lets you toggle between French audio and original English audio. Not a subtitle in sight.

Please note that playing the Version Originale from the 'Versions' option on the menu does indeed force subtitles. You need to select the French dub version which mysteriously carries both audio tracks and lets you select between them.

Sorry if this is old news - I figured that somebody may find this useful.

Great forum guys! I'm sure to keep checking back!

Steve.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France