Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (DVD)
$78.08

Chernobyl (DVD)
$24.96
3 hrs ago
Outlander: Season Four (DVD)
$15.09

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (DVD)
$12.99

Outlander: Season Three (DVD)
$9.60

Modern Family: The Complete Tenth Season (DVD)
$14.99

NCIS: Los Angeles: Season 10 (DVD)
$29.96

The Hustle (DVD)
$10.00
15 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (DVD)
$9.99

Shazam! (DVD)
$9.99

The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection! (DVD)
$42.49

Seal Team: Season Two (DVD)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #401
Expert Member

Jul 2012

I don't know if it's rare or anything, but I own one of those single episode DVD releases of "Goosebumps". I found it cheap at Salvation Army years ago.

Episode 'Welcome to Dead House'.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #402
Expert Member

Jul 2012

I found this Empire article from 2015. I'm only mentioning the films from the article that weren't put in this thread.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/films-dvd/

Inchon (1981)

What’s the story?

A film about a famous battle of the Korean War, from the director of Dr. No and Thunderball and starring Henry V, Yojimbo and Shaft.

It sounds like a nailed-on cult classic – which it is to some extent – but it’s also one of the most notorious flops in cinema history.

What’s the problem?

It died at the box office, losing $44m and establishing itself as the biggest disaster of 1982. It never got a VHS release, let alone anything subsequent. Adding to its limbo status is its unusual financial set-up.

It was bankrolled by Sun Myung Moon of the Unification Church, with MGM taking distribution rights for a much lower-than-usual cut of the profits – of which there were obviously none anyway. While the Unification Church owned the Goodlife Television Network, they occasionally played Inchon there.

Since they sold the Network, however, Inchon is back to not having an outlet of any description.

Dream Demon (1988)

What’s the story?

A British horror roughly contemporary with the likes of Hellraiser and Paperhouse. On VHS, this sat in the Palace Horror series alongside The Hills Have Eyes, Basket Case and The Evil Dead, but it hasn’t had the afterlife of any of those things.

Upper class English rose Jemma Redgrave and spikey American goth Kathleen Wilhoite find themselves linked by a house: Wilhoite through a pre-adoption childhood she can’t remember, and Redgrave by the nightmares the house is giving her.

Timothy Spall and Jimmy Nail are muckraking tabloid journalists who get sucked into the layers of surreal dreams that the women battle through. It's like Inception, if Inception had a zombie Spall getting punched right through the head.

What’s the problem?

Likely due to the bankruptcy of Palace Pictures. Palace only had distribution rights to a lot of their hit titles (like the aforementioned Evil Dead and Hills Have Eyes) which is why they’re still available with no problem, having been picked up again by others.

But Dream Demon was actually produced by Palace and three other companies that no longer exist either. This explains the probably baffling ownership tangle.

Meet The Applegates (1989)

What’s the story?

Michael Lehmann directed this satirical black comedy horror in between Heathers and Hudson Hawk. It involves a family of giant praying mantises who take on human form and go and live a perfect family life in suburbia while Dad tries to wipe out the human race by engineering the end of the world at the nuclear power plant he works at.

One of a slew of late ‘80s and early ‘90s comedy horrors – Society, Parents, The ‘Burbs etc. – picking the scabs of middle class America.

What’s the problem?

Possibly to do with the bankruptcy of studio New World, although that hasn’t stopped other New World titles (Hellraiser, House, The Punisher) from reaching DVD.

The NW catalogue was with Anchor Bay for years, but the Applegates rights are now at Lionsgate. It’s probably safe to say it’s just nobody’s top priority and has fallen through the cracks, but it has been broadcast in HD on the Showtime channel.

Grim Prairie Tales (1990)

What’s the story?

A gothic portmanteau Western in which two strangers spin scary tales around a campfire. Like most anthology films, the individual stories are hit-and-miss.

But what makes Grim Prairie Tales such a lost gem are the wraparound segments in which Brad Dourif’s uptight city clerk is forced to spend a long, dark night of the soul with James Earl Jones’ grotesque bounty hunter (and the corpse he’s got in tow).

What’s the problem?

Unclear, but it barely got a VHS release, let alone anything subsequent. You may have caught it on Alex Cox’s Moviedrome on BBC2 in the 1990s.

Wayne Coe never directed again, but still works as a professional story board artist.

Naked Tango (1991)

Leonard Schrader (Paul’s older brother) wrote the screenplay for Kiss of the Spider Woman, based on the novel by Manuel Puig. Six years later, he was “inspired” by Puig to write and direct this steamy melodrama.

Mathilda May plays a French trophy wife in 1920s Argentina. She runs away, but gets dragged into an obsessive relationship with gangster/pimp Cholo (Vincent D’Onofrio), centred mostly on dancing, with an occasional bit of violence for that extra frisson.

Sometimes they dance with knives. One time they dance in an abattoir. One time she’s naked – hence the name. There’s a sex scene where May is lying on fifty shades of broken glass. It’s intense.

What’s the problem?

Probably rights again. New Line picked up the distribution in the US, and Warners did the VHS. But there were at least six production companies involved in the film’s creation, most of which never made anything again.

A Fistful of Fingers (1995)

What’s the story?

Five years before Spaced and a decade before Shaun of the Dead, Edgar Wright made a comedy Western. In fact he made it twice, but this was the version that got released.

We gave it one star (sorry Edgar!) but the joke everybody likes and remembers is the shoot-out with pointed fingers instead of guns. That schtick would resurface in Wright’s oeuvre…

What’s the problem?

After Shaun, Wright was approached by Fistful’s distributors about a DVD, but nothing ever came of the discussions. Wright seems simultaneously embarrassed by his amateur cult classic, and up for doing some sort of release with a lot of “pretty darn silly extras” and “very daft commentaries”.

Extras cost money, so maybe that’s the sticking point. Wright wants any disc release to have explanatory context. Who’s going to pay for that?

As a side note, Wright’s even earlier Rolf Harris Saves the World was never released by anybody. And you’d have to say it still looks unlikely.
Thanks given by:
DaBargainHunta (06-07-2019), Rzzzz (10-11-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 05:11 AM   #403
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

I think Arrow is supposed to release "Fistful of Fingers", though I'm not sure the status on that, it doesn't seem to have come up in a while.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #404
Expert Member

Jul 2012

Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills (1989)

* It does have a Region 2 DVD release in Germany and Italy, but is VHS-only in U.S.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #405
Power Member

Dec 2016
Default The Naked Man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Man_(film)

As far as I know this Coen Bro penned piece of quirk (which is quite enjoyable) never got anything beyond VHS in R1
Old 04-25-2019, 01:20 AM   #406
Expert Member

Jul 2012

Till Marriage Do Us Part (1974)

* It does have a LaserDisc release, but no U.S. DVD.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 AM   #407

Sep 2015

The 70s Spider-Man movies.

The 70s hulk series two parter "married" got a limited release as a movie "bride of the incredible hulk" but the movie version is not on dvd or Blu-ray. (you can get the chopped in two episodes tv version however)

Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 AM   #408
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

Not sure if this one has already been mentioned but:

Lol. Looks like I already did mention in on page 17 a while back.

EDIT: This is FINALLY now available for purchase on amazon prime and itunes in widescreen (for the first time since it's theatrical release) and has original music back in. Not sure for how long though. I don't usually promote streaming but this is a very rare situation seeing as how unavailable this film has been for so many years and since it's not looking good that it will ever get a blu ray or DVD.

Last edited by MassiveMovieBuff; 06-17-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:49 AM   #409

Feb 2019
Ohio

Ann Magnuson's Vandemonium Plus (VHS released in 1996 by WHV)

A video with Ann Magnuson's 1987 Cinemax Comedy Experiment episode ''Vandemonium''
& her 1984 Alive From Off Center episode ''Made For TV'' (the Plus part of the video).
Old 06-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #410
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-
-

There are still thousands of VHS movies that have not been released on DVD, and may never be. Looking For Mr. Goodbar is one of them. I don't know why Paramount is not releasing this movie on DVD or even Blu-ray for that matter. It's really a mystery.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (07-24-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 AM   #411
Expert Member

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
There are still thousands of VHS movies that have not been released on DVD, and may never be. Looking For Mr. Goodbar is one of them. I don't know why Paramount is not releasing this movie on DVD or even Blu-ray for that matter. It's really a mystery.
GOODBAR is kind of the holy grail for me. There are a few other not-on-DVD titles I crave, like HARD CONTRACT, but that's the big one. Netflix had it streaming 8 or 9 years ago (that's why I signed up with them, to see a good version of it), so there is decent source material, but the music rights are supposed to be a nightmare.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 AM   #412

Jun 2016
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Question

There is one movie I remember hearing about it was a British comedy film produced by 20th Century Fox in the late 1930’s. Never been on any home video and has been rarely re released and was almost never shown on TV. I can’t remember the name but the whole movie was uploaded on YouTube along with several other rare British classics on the same channel. The print was a VHS recording off Channel 4 in the UK during the 90s, as it opened with the 1982 Channel 4 multi coloured ident used until 1996. I heard also that long time ago Fox’s rights lapsed but their logo was retained on the said broadcast, so I’m not exactly sure as one said StudioCanal holds the rights. I have been dying to find this again as it’s never been on TV here in Canada and knowing there is no home video release I’m ready to find answers
Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #413

Apr 2019

Hercules: Zero to Hero
Old 07-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #414
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I've been wanting a modern physical media release of LFMG for years. I saw this years ago & thought the film itself was great - possibly Diane Keaton's best work. However, the print was awful. So, I would really like to see this film remastered & re-released on Blu. Heck, I'd even settle for a decent DVD-only release at this point.

I'm of the strong belief that the movie has yet to make it to DVD/Blu because of problems/issues with music copyright(s). The movie featured a lot of pop/rock/disco music from the era, and I suspect that securing the music rights for everything is probably why this film's re-release has been in limbo for so long.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #415

Jul 2019
USA
Unhappy

Here are a few I know of:

Song of the South (1946)
Let It Be (1970)
Malibu Bikini Shop (1986)

More can be found here:
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/films-dvd/
Old 07-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #416
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2017
Nashville

I'd like to see Crybaby Lane come to DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:23 AM   #417
Expert Member

Jul 2012

Some more that I managed to find. I'm sorry if some of these were already mentioned:

To Kill a Clown (1972)

Homebodies (1974)

The Appointment (1982)

The Icebox Murders (1982)

The Deadly Intruder (1985)

Terror in the Swamp (1985)

Enemy Territory (1987)

Goodnight God Bless (1987)

Rest in Pieces (1987)

Paperhouse (1988)

Grave Secrets (1989)

Hider in the House (1989)

Night Life (1989)

Monkey Boy (1990)

Playroom (1990)

Trapped (1990)

Appointment with Fear (1991)

The Runestone (1991)

Terminal Choice (1993)

The Wrong Door (1993)

Next Door (1994)

The 13th Floor (1995)

Thanks given by:
foxproslurp (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 08:37 AM   #418
Special Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Samantha, early 90s teen comedy with Martha Plimpton and Dermot Mulroney.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:21 AM   #419

Sep 2015

Well not in America anyways. It did get a release in the uk I think.

The big screen mighty mouse "film". (it was episodes of the cartoon edited into a movie and released on the big screen like Heathcliff the movie was!)

Why is this not on dvd Disney?

Why is this not on dvd?

Old 09-08-2019, 01:32 AM   #420

Sep 2015

Yeah it's not a good movie but shocked it not on dvd.

None of those are on dvd but are on vhs. Also this is on dvd but it's the crappy uk dub. Smurfs and magic flute American version! There were TWO American dubs with better dubs and shout gives us the worst English dub of the set that gets all the names wrong and gives peeweet a lousy old mans smoker voice! The us dub is only on vhs and the second version only aired on tv!

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies