Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (DVD)
$78.08

Outlander: Season Three (DVD)
$9.60
4 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (DVD)
$12.99
2 hrs ago
The Hustle (DVD)
$10.00

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (DVD)
$9.99

Modern Family: The Complete Tenth Season (DVD)
$14.99

Outlander: Season Four (DVD)
$15.09
4 hrs ago
NCIS: Los Angeles: Season 10 (DVD)
$29.96

Shazam! (DVD)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Us (DVD)
$9.99

It: Chapter Two (DVD)
$19.99

Good Omens (DVD)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 03-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #41

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slob View Post
I'm willing to bet that 95% of DVDs are out of production. All the dirt cheap DVDs we see on line and in the stores are left over stock. They pressed so many that it takes years to sell them all. Once they're gone that's it.
I find it hard to believe that studios are still pressing classic tv shows. If something new does get released, say another season of Gunsmoke, it's a one time pressing at significantly lower numbers that lasts a few years.
A more recent complete series box set is more likely a repackaging to unload existing discs than a new pressing.

New releases direct from theaters may be a single pressing. They do a one time run off of several million and that's it. If it's a franchise film, or something extraordinarily popular they may do a second pressing.
The recent OVERLORD release may already be OOP. They ran off a butt load of disc that will take years to sell.
I still can't believe that I still see DVDs that came out at the dawn of the DVD era on store shelves today. I still see a lot of copies of Apollo 13 at my local Targets, meanwhile I had to special order the 20th Anniversary Blu-ray from them and the 4K is nowhere in sight. Walmarts and Best Buys also seem to be bringing back in a lot of the old Disney DVDs with non-anamorphic transfers, and not in bargain bins - right on the shelf next to new 4K's and Blu-rays. These are the kinds of things that should get dumped into Dollar Tree. Maybe someone at Disney is refusing to release their older catalog on Blu-ray until the old DVDs run out (which will be never).
Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #42
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

August 29, 2019. The DVD pressing plant becomes self-aware at 02:14 am Eastern Time and launches nuclear missiles at Russia to incite a counterattack against the humans who, in a panic, tried to disconnect it.
Thanks given by:
p w (03-06-2019), Spotty (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #43
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan

A few days ago at Meijer (a midwest chain similar to Walmart) I witnessed a couple in their 50s looking for a copy of Bohemian Rhapsody (they asked the clerk where it was). There were all 3 versions sitting there - DVD, BD, and UHD. The guy grabbed the DVD and put it in their cart. And that DVD was $22.99. For a DVD. In 2019.

DVD isnít going anywhere.
Thanks given by:
Dustin44 (03-07-2019), DustnBones001 (06-09-2019), gkolb (03-07-2019), Matthew.H (05-16-2019), moviegeek1992 (03-07-2019), Nailwraps (03-06-2019), Sandersobsessed (03-10-2019), steve_dave (03-06-2019), thecooldud (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
USA

Exactly. When will DVD production stop? Never!
Thanks given by:
DustnBones001 (06-09-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015

The UK is getting a lot of smaller movies released on DVD only. Juliet, Naked recently and soon Hell Fest and Assassination Nation will get a DVD only release here and honestly speaking I'm not interested spending 50% more to import the blu-ray! Not everything needs to be 1080p and secondly the fact that these are newer movies coupled with the upscaling abilities of my player, means that they're still going to look decent. Of course if one of these movies end up becoming my favourite, then I'll get the blu-ray copy, but DVD is still good enough for most titles.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:04 AM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015

Quote:
Agree. What I'm getting at is:
Mannix season 1 released 2008
Mannix complete series released 2017
The season one discs are identical in every way in both cases. Is it possible they were all pressed in 2008 and none have been pressed since? Would that mean it is out of production, though readily available, since none have been pressed in 10 years?

To put it another way. If a title is released with a limit of 3000 copies. All pressed at once. Is it immediately OOP when released because it is no longer being made, even though they take years to sell?

Or is OOP being defined as when stock runs out and no longer readily available as opposed to produced.
If all 3000 copies are made at the same time then yes it's technically OOP on release, but most reserve calling the release OOP of such limited pressings until availability is near the end of the 3000 printed stock, mostly because it could take years for those 3000 copies to sell out, which all depends on the popularity of the title.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:24 AM   #47

Mar 2017

I think a lot of people are spot on when they say many computers don't have blu-ray players.

Also, DVDs just work. I mean something like 30% of the US doesn't even have access to high speed internet....having to constantly update your bluray players so it will play the latest copy protected discs in rural areas or in the car etc can be a real hassle.

Lastly, so many TV shows are trapped in SD resolution...and I believe TV shows are a major disc seller.

Last edited by Spotty; 03-07-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:02 AM   #48
Expert Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty View Post
Also, DVDs just work. I mean something like 30% of the US doesn't even have access to high speed internet....having to constantly update your bluray players so it will play the latest copy protected discs in rural areas or in the car etc can be a real hassle.
I have never updated any of my Blu-ray players and I have never encountered a Blu-ray disc that wouldn't play. That includes Ultra HD Blu-ray players and discs as well.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #49

Jun 2011
West Des Moines, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by homevideogeek View Post
I still can't fathom why DVD - a technology that was made obsolete the day HDTVs became mainstream, much less 4K displays - is still ticking. VHS movies were easily dead by this time in DVD's life cycle, and studios are shooting themselves in the foot by insisting on keeping standalone DVD releases alive. Blu-ray players are inexpensive and plentiful. There is no reason for DVD players to still exist when Blu-ray and 4K players are backward compatible. All it does is keep them out there as a dirt-cheap (but disposable) option in the market that unknowing people will still gravitate to. You've been able to get a 4K player for $50 for well over a year now, even if it's not a great player. Studios need to stop releasing standalone DVD, give people a phase-in period where they still put out Blu-ray/DVD combo packs for those who haven't upgraded (should have been done years ago) and get everybody up to speed on Blu-ray - which is itself an old and somewhat obsolete format considering how cheap and plentiful 4K TVs have become. With stores rapidly cutting back on shelf space for their movie departments, there is NO room for Blu-ray and DVD to co-exist anymore if you want to give people a good selection of titles to choose from at affordable prices.

</rant>
When Wal-mart goes belly-up, that's when DVD production will stop.
Thanks given by:
oilers73 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 AM   #50

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
I have never updated any of my Blu-ray players and I have never encountered a Blu-ray disc that wouldn't play. That includes Ultra HD Blu-ray players and discs as well.
This.
I have probably played more than a thousand Blu-rays on my various players and to this day I have never performed a firmware update on any of them.

I DID have to update the firmware on my DVD player in the early days though
Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #51

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

I have had a couple of defective Blu-ray discs that would just crap out at a certain spot. I ended up replacing these. I've never had to update the Blu-ray Player app on my Xbox.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #52

Jan 2019
Highway 101

Quote:
I was forced to update one time only. Avengers Infinity War. The disc loaded. The first screen is where you choose language. The background image of destruction was there but none of the text. Plus the player had froze and I had to unplug it. Tried a second time, same thing.
I went ahead and ran the update. Third try the text came up. Chose ENGLISH. Worked fine after that.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #53

Aug 2014

My humble opinion is that we are the small market not DVD's. Everybody who is a member of this forum is crazy about movies which is really cool but I think a large number of the people in the world are not. They just like to pop in a movie and unless it looks like crap they will fine with the picture and sound.

Also if you go to a Thrift store like Goodwill, Salavation Army or your local store like that you can pick up DVD's really cheap for $2 or $3

Keep in my mind a lot of people don't have a lot of extra $$$ around to spend.
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (06-10-2019), DustnBones001 (06-09-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

The problem with DVD now (and by default Blu-ray and 4K that have followed it but never caught up) was that it boomed, big, after VHS in the era just before streaming and hardly anything went out of print unless it was a Disney model or from a licencee where the licence expired. The icing on the cake was when studios discovered they could sell the same thing all over again by adding a few more extras on a bonus disc. This has left lots of heavily discounted, essentially worthless discs which has directly affected the update of the follow-on formats to the mass public, who, used to paying next to nothing and fatigued by endless double-dips for extras that once quite a special fad are now numerous throwaway commonalities, want the cheap streaming option instead.

Charity shops struggle to sell DVDs for £0.50p in the UK. Many now have handwritten notes up saying "5 for a £1" or even "10 for a £1" just to shift them. While most are the genuinely worthless (by and large Hollywood movies that were the most mass-produced), the lucky can find a rarer title for next to nothing.

So, no, I don't lay the blame solely at streaming for how throwaway physical media has become to the public at large. The physical media market is increasingly just for enthusiasts like ourselves who buy high and rarely sell on.

Last edited by oddbox83; 03-07-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #55

May 2018
Decatur, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersports View Post
When Wal-mart goes belly-up, that's when DVD production will stop.

^^^^This^^^^^
Old 03-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #56

May 2018
Decatur, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Escape View Post
My humble opinion is that we are the small market not DVD's. Everybody who is a member of this forum is crazy about movies which is really cool but I think a large number of the people in the world are not. They just like to pop in a movie and unless it looks like crap they will fine with the picture and sound.

Also if you go to a Thrift store like Goodwill, Salavation Army or your local store like that you can pick up DVD's really cheap for $2 or $3

Keep in my mind a lot of people don't have a lot of extra $$$ around to spend.
That is exactly what I do. I also use ebay, pawn shops and I stay looking in the bargain bin for deals on movies. Regardless of it's a DVD, blu ray or video game I refuse to pay more than $5 for it.
Thanks given by:
Old 03-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #57
Power Member

Nov 2008
-
-
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

Quote:
Agree. What I'm getting at is:
Mannix season 1 released 2008
Mannix complete series released 2017
The season one discs are identical in every way in both cases. Is it possible they were all pressed in 2008 and none have been pressed since? Would that mean it is out of production, though readily available, since none have been pressed in 10 years?

To put it another way. If a title is released with a limit of 3000 copies. All pressed at once. Is it immediately OOP when released because it is no longer being made, even though they take years to sell?

Or is OOP being defined as when stock runs out and no longer readily available as opposed to produced.
Good question, and one that would need some serious research, and inside numbers access to answer. We know that early DVDs were full screen or letterbox (within a 4:3 frame), then later released widescreen enhanced for 16:9, so for the latter you would need to know at least the initial production run. Those 16:9 DVD transfers were around a good 6-7 years before Blu-ray, so I assume they sold well if they were popular movies, but I have no problem thinking that less popular movies may still be out there from the only production run.
I assume popularity would also apply for TV seasons.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #58

Sep 2018
Canada

1. DVD is still cheaper.
2. There are still working DVD players at home.
3. DVD was a huge 'convenience' improvement over VHS but DVD>BD>UHD are not.
4. Majority of people who buy DVD don't really care about VQ/AQ.

So the working DVD players at home would have to die out before it is replaced by BD.

UHD will get a huge traction with next gen XB & PS.
Thanks given by:
Old 03-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #59

Oct 2010

While DVD production stopping would potentially increase the possibility of some DVD only releases going to blu-ray, the stronger likelihood is that many releases that would have come out on DVD, just wouldn't be released at all on physical media.

The reality is that there are many pre-existing masters that can be dumped to DVD with little effort (especially within TV shows) and that fits the business model. The cost, in many cases, to prepare up-to-date HD masters just doesn't have the return on investment to warrant a blu-ray release.

In addition, many studios aren't ready to go the discount route on blu-ray. So when they have tried that route the cost model didn't work. Especially, when a consumer can purchase a full series on DVD (originally released years earlier) for the cost of one season on blu-ray. Even though the DVD season may have originally been priced similarly to a new blu-ray release now, the discounted price years later makes it hard for many consumers to swallow.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

Quote:
I used to have a Panasonic Blu-ray player that was discontinued and about 3 years ago Panasonic stopped all firmware updates on the model. Then about a year and half ago it quit playing all Blu-ray disc's, even older ones that used to work fine but still played DVD and CD's just fine.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies