Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Friends: The Complete Series (DVD)
$78.08

Cobra Kai (DVD)
$19.95

The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection! (DVD)
$37.40

The Office: The Complete Series (DVD)
$40.80

The Stand (DVD)
$5.00
1 hr ago
Outlander: Season Four (DVD)
$15.09

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (DVD)
$12.99

Outlander: Season Three (DVD)
$9.60

Chernobyl (DVD)
$24.96

Modern Family: The Complete Tenth Season (DVD)
$14.99

Death Wish (DVD)
$5.00
1 hr ago
Child's Play (DVD)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #1

Mar 2012
Greece
Default Baywatch on dvd question.

Hi guys. I know that Baywatch has multiple releases on dvd internationally but I'm curious to determine which ones are the best. I know that the american releases are the worst ones, since they have misleading titles (Season 1 is Season 2), edits and music changes (not even the theme song) and finally they are not complete. The uk ones have the correct tiltes but are full with edits,music changes and only a few season sets. On the other hand the german ones are so far the best, with complete season and series sets and as far I can tell zero music changes, plus some bonus features. Then I found out about the australian ones. According to the back cover they are region free. They have complete season sets and the theme song. I dont know if they have any edits or music changes. Plus the Baywatch Hawaii seasons are out print. I don't own any of these releases and I'm curious to hear from people who have them. Amazon reviews are a mixed bag at best. Any info will be gratefully appreciated.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #2

Jul 2012
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisranger View Post
Hi guys. I know that Baywatch has multiple releases on dvd internationally but I'm curious to determine which ones are the best. I know that the american releases are the worst ones, since they have misleading titles (Season 1 is Season 2), edits and music changes (not even the theme song) and finally they are not complete. The uk ones have the correct tiltes but are full with edits,music changes and only a few season sets. On the other hand the german ones are so far the best, with complete season and series sets and as far I can tell zero music changes, plus some bonus features. Then I found out about the australian ones. According to the back cover they are region free. They have complete season sets and the theme song. I dont know if they have any edits or music changes. Plus the Baywatch Hawaii seasons are out print. I don't own any of these releases and I'm curious to hear from people who have them. Amazon reviews are a mixed bag at best. Any info will be gratefully appreciated.
I have the Australian season 1 release. No edits or music replacements that I can tell except for the theme song which has been replaced. Season 1 on NBC had the "Save Me" theme song by Peter Cetera for the opening credits. It's been replaced on the Australian set by a song by Kim Karnes which I believe was used in syndicated markets overseas when the showed aired. As for the video quality, it pales in comparison to the newly remastered Baywatch.
Thanks given by:
elvisranger (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #3

Mar 2012
Greece

you are talking about this one right? I didn't know about the theme song change. thanks. it looks like the german ones are the way to go.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #4

Apr 2015
Cleveland, OH
Send a message via Yahoo to DustnBones001 Send a message via Skype™ to DustnBones001

Baywatch was recently remastered in HD. I know they have been released on the digital market. Not sure about dvd.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:21 AM   #5

Jul 2012
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

you are talking about this one right? I didn't know about the theme song change. thanks. it looks like the german ones are the way to go.
Yes that's the one I have. It's pretty much complete other than the different theme song. The German set has the international pilot episode which includes nudity.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:27 AM   #6

Apr 2015
Cleveland, OH
Send a message via Yahoo to DustnBones001 Send a message via Skype™ to DustnBones001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
Yes that's the one I have. It's pretty much complete other than the different theme song. The German set has the international pilot episode which includes nudity.
Wait baywatch had nudity?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:36 AM   #7

Jul 2012
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustnBones001 View Post
Wait baywatch had nudity?
only the pilot episode that I know of. Obviously the pilot that aired on NBC had no nudity but a few additional scenes with nudity were filmed for the international broadcast. Pretty sure that pilot is available on the German set.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 AM   #8
Special Member

Aug 2014

I personally would wait for the new German blu-rays. They are going to include the original audio on the original SD masters as a bonus feature and may very well end up having the best compression. Shouldn't be much more expensive than the DVDs either.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #9

Mar 2012
Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnShadow View Post
I personally would wait for the new German blu-rays. They are going to include the original audio on the original SD masters as a bonus feature and may very well end up having the best compression. Shouldn't be much more expensive than the DVDs either.
wow!! i didnt know about the german blurays!! Is it confirmed the sd masters as a bonus?

https://www.amazon.de/Baywatch-HD-St...gateway&sr=8-9

https://www.amazon.de/Baywatch-HD-St...XYMMRHM875G76R

despite that check out this review of the HD restoration. The are some really odd changes in this one.

Last edited by elvisranger; 06-10-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #10

Apr 2015
Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
only the pilot episode that I know of. Obviously the pilot that aired on NBC had no nudity but a few additional scenes with nudity were filmed for the international broadcast. Pretty sure that pilot is available on the German set.
Hmmmm interesting I never knew that. I will have to pick up the german set sometime when I get a region free player. Thanks for letting me know .
Old 06-16-2019, 02:59 AM   #11
Special Member

Aug 2014

Quote:
wow!! i didnt know about the german blurays!! Is it confirmed the sd masters as a bonus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionsi View Post
Fernsehjuwelen have confirmed that the HD-Versions of the episodes will be the altered versions (different music, different cut etc...).

But the original cuts of the episodes will be included as SD-Bonus including original audio in English and German.

News (in German):

https://www.schnittberichte.com/news.php?ID=14618

But as Fernsehjuwelen later told us, fortunately, the original versions including the original German & English soundtracks will at least be included as an SD bonus on the Blu-rays. So it will be possible for nostalgics to watch the original series as they know it. This is also a relief as we were also confirmed that these original versions "are no longer permitted to be aired on TV or VoD because of a limitation of the international rights holder."
Thanks given by:
elvisranger (06-16-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies