Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
12 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
13 hrs ago
They Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99
22 hrs ago
Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
12 hrs ago
Gattaca 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.59
12 hrs ago
The Transformers: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.60
11 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Godzilla 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Smokey and the Bandit 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
56 min ago
Wonder Woman 1984 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #321
sapiendut sapiendut is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Absolutely, definitely, not!

I repeat, in case you missed this bit: I am simply NOT in the "high-end" market and will not be dragged up there just because I want a decent player that works.

That player is the high-end top-of-the-range and costs TRIPLE the cost of the UB820. It's not a helpful answer, sorry, because I was so very clear.

The market for mainstream (not high-end) players is utterly broken after the "race to the bottom", and it's a travesty.

(And it still doesn't meet my requirements anyway! It's got a fan! )
The problem with the race to the bottom is that the lower price range are ďbrokenĒ (not that the UB9000 is perfect). Also, semantics, the UB9000 is double the orice of the 820, not triple. Sadly, there is still no perfect player out there. Iíd go for it in a heartbeat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #322
Stacey Spears Stacey Spears is offline
BD Test Disc Author
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Absolutely, definitely, not!

I repeat, in case you missed this bit: I am simply NOT in the "high-end" market and will not be dragged up there just because I want a decent player that works.

That player is the high-end top-of-the-range and costs TRIPLE the cost of the UB820. It's not a helpful answer, sorry, because I was so very clear.

The market for mainstream (not high-end) players is utterly broken after the "race to the bottom", and it's a travesty.

(And it still doesn't meet my requirements anyway! It's got a fan! )
What does the 9000 do that the 820 does not? in terms of video, it should be identical. I thought someone said that the 820 has fewer options in the HDR Optimizer, but that is not a feature I use on the player.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
David M (07-08-2019), Geoff D (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #323
Kris Deering Kris Deering is offline
Power Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Pacific Northwest
400
131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
What does the 9000 do that the 820 does not? in terms of video, it should be identical. I thought someone said that the 820 has fewer options in the HDR Optimizer, but that is not a feature I use on the player.
For your usage case there is no difference. The optimizer difference applies to projectors only with the low nit setting. But the 820 will give similar performance with the SDR2020 output, which is also based on 350 nits.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (07-11-2019), sapiendut (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #324
sapiendut sapiendut is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

Kris beat me to it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #325
kansashoops kansashoops is offline
Active Member
 
kansashoops's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Monument, CO
9
100
631
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
It amazes me to a high degree that no companies have been able to match or even better Oppo on pure untampered PQ. I mean the 203 was released three years ago!
Well that's not true. The Panasonic players (820 and 9000) surpass the Oppo in picture quality. I have both the Oppo 203 and the 820, and the 820 has it beat. I kept the Oppo for SACD playback and as a general backup, but I no longer use it for 4K blu ray playback. The Oppo is still superior in many regards, but PQ is not one of them.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (07-11-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #326
monroef monroef is offline
Junior Member
 
Jun 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroef View Post
That was my thought as well. Unfortunately, I do not know of any other app that will launch a blu-ray menu.
It looks like it is the MrMC software. If I turn off hardware acceleration in the software, the clipping stops and the DVD ISO performs as it should.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #327
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
697
2016
5
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
The chroma ringing is overshoot from their scaling filter. While it does go away at -4, so does the detail in the chroma resolution patches on the color space eval pattern. I decided to leave it at default myself. The odd ringing mostly goes away on the SDR version of the pattern, which is good since most of the HD will be SDR.

Edit: Just did a quick test using the Luma Zone Plate on the 2nd edition. With Edge at 0, it is nice and clean. At +1, you see moire (four groups of circles) on the left and right sides of the Zone Plate. The Winter Soldier scene is nice because it is a real world scene.
Yes exactly, it softens up chroma detail too much in order to get rid of the ringing at -4 so I just put the chroma on -1 and leave Edge Correction off now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
What does the 9000 do that the 820 does not? in terms of video, it should be identical. I thought someone said that the 820 has fewer options in the HDR Optimizer, but that is not a feature I use on the player.
Yep, even the 420 should have an identical video output to the 9000, lack of DV and certain other HDR conversion settings aside.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (07-08-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #328
kristoffer kristoffer is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kristoffer's Avatar
 
May 2010
Denmark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yes exactly, it softens up chroma detail too much in order to get rid of the ringing at -4 so I just put the chroma on -1 and leave Edge Correction off now.


Yep, even the 420 should have an identical video output to the 9000, lack of DV and certain other HDR conversion settings aside.
But despite these flaws you still prefer Panasonicís PQ compared to the Oppo UDP 203? Because of the optimizer function or because of better upscaling?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:46 AM   #329
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
697
2016
5
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
But despite these flaws you still prefer Panasonicís PQ compared to the Oppo UDP 203? Because of the optimizer function or because of better upscaling?
No, I prefer the OPPO and I don't use the Optimiser.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gkolb (07-09-2019), HDMan72 (07-09-2019), kristoffer (07-09-2019), Robert Zohn (07-09-2019), sapiendut (07-09-2019), Scarriere (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #330
algu01 algu01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jun 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Default

DV is under saturated compared to HDR10 on my Sony AF9 and Oppo-203.

The pics are not taken with the camera settings locked between shots so the difference is even bigger in real life.

DV: https://photos.app.goo.gl/x85cLsxw2LxUStiA8

HDR10:https://photos.app.goo.gl/d98RAYvNwq1AXPz47

I prefer the saturation of the HDR10 but what is the correct picture?

Itís impressive to see the dynamic tonemapping on the Sony AF9 at work on HDR10 though!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #331
sapiendut sapiendut is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
sapiendut's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Canada
2
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
But despite these flaws you still prefer Panasonicís PQ compared to the Oppo UDP 203? Because of the optimizer function or because of better upscaling?
I sold my Oppo 205 because I prefer the upscaling on the 9000. Also I use a projector, so the low-nit projector setting in the Optimizer helps tremendously
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
kristoffer (07-09-2019), Robert Zohn (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #332
p5browne p5browne is offline
Member
 
Jan 2019
Default

Disc arrived today in A-OK condition from Edmonton Alberta.

Orangy soap from the RockyMountainSoap Company in Canmore, Alberta, left earlier, and still missing in action!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #333
Stacey Spears Stacey Spears is offline
BD Test Disc Author
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by algu01 View Post
DV is under saturated compared to HDR10 on my Sony AF9 and Oppo-203.

The pics are not taken with the camera settings locked between shots so the difference is even bigger in real life.

DV: https://photos.app.goo.gl/x85cLsxw2LxUStiA8

HDR10:https://photos.app.goo.gl/d98RAYvNwq1AXPz47

I prefer the saturation of the HDR10 but what is the correct picture?

Itís impressive to see the dynamic tonemapping on the Sony AF9 at work on HDR10 though!
This is why we have the note on the insert about using TV-led over player-led. LG and VIZIO may be the only two displays that support TV-led today. Long story short, its due to a bug that impacts player-led mode.

Last edited by Stacey Spears; 07-09-2019 at 03:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
algu01 (07-09-2019), Clark Kent (07-10-2019), Geoff D (07-09-2019), RageATL (07-09-2019), Robert Zohn (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #334
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

The Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 has excellent tone mapping with SACD/DVD-Audio support, that is another player that people purchase if they do not want a Panasonic or a used OPPO player.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #335
algu01 algu01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jun 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
This is why we have the note on the insert about using TV-led over player-led. LG and VIZIO may be the only two displays that support TV-led today. Long story short, its due to a bug that impacts player-led mode.
Thx! Are Oppo and/or Dolby aware of this?
Edit: or is it a bug isolated to Sonyís sets only perhaps?

Last edited by algu01; 07-09-2019 at 06:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #336
jibucha jibucha is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2007
45
Default

please (might you consider elaboration?)

note :: this is new information to me (TV-led & player led)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
This is why we have the note on the insert about using TV-led over player-led. LG and VIZIO may be the only two displays that support TV-led today. Long story short, its due to a bug that impacts player-led mode.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 AM   #337
Stacey Spears Stacey Spears is offline
BD Test Disc Author
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by algu01 View Post
Thx! Are Oppo and/or Dolby aware of this?
Edit: or is it a bug isolated to Sonyís sets only perhaps?
Its not a display issue and yes, they are aware.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
algu01 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:53 AM   #338
Stacey Spears Stacey Spears is offline
BD Test Disc Author
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
please (might you consider elaboration?)

note :: this is new information to me (TV-led & player led)
The OPPO has three settings for Dolby Vision. Auto, TV-led and Player-LED. Currently auto uses Player-led.

Panasonic does not expose this. They will use player-led for Sony and TV-led for LG.

Sony does not support TV-led for Blu-ray.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jibucha (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:32 AM   #339
jibucha jibucha is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2007
45
Default

thank you (appreciated)
follow-up :: what do these 'settings' do though?
meaning :: what does (TV-led) & (player-led) do/mean?
(and) :: why are there 'two approaches'?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
The OPPO has three settings for Dolby Vision. Auto, TV-led and Player-LED. Currently auto uses Player-led.

Panasonic does not expose this. They will use player-led for Sony and TV-led for LG.

Sony does not support TV-led for Blu-ray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:50 AM   #340
Stacey Spears Stacey Spears is offline
BD Test Disc Author
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
thank you (appreciated)
follow-up :: what do these 'settings' do though?
meaning :: what does (TV-led) & (player-led) do/mean?
(and) :: why are there 'two approaches'?
Player-led means Dolby Vision processing is done in the player. This is also known as Low Latency mode.
TV-led means the Dolby Vision processing is done in the display.

You would have to ask Dolby why they have two approaches. I don't know.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (07-11-2019)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 PM.