Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Shrek 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12
1 hr ago
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Musicals 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.58

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
1 hr ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
10 hrs ago
Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 day ago
Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.39

BBC Earth Wild Planet 3D Gift Set: Planet Dinosaur / Tiny Giants / Wings (Blu-ray)
$27.79

A Monster in Paris 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Wonders of the Arctic 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
17 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #1

Sep 2011
Detroit,MI
Exclamation 3D TV picture settings questions

I have a 3D TV (LG 55") my question is do you guys use the same picture settings for 3D viewing as you do for 2D? For some reason my TV doesn't use the calibrated settings I use for viewing 2D blurays when viewing 3D movies. It automatically switches to a customized or preset setting when viewing 3D, and switches back to my saved calibrated settings for standard 2D Blu-ray viewing. Should I just use the same settings I have for 2D or should I make some changes to the picture settings for 3D viewing?(brightness, contrast etc.) The preset 3D settings have the back light and contrast jacked up too 100 as well as other things.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #2

Jan 2010

What I usually do is match two picture settings, then turn up the brightness on one of them. The brighter one is the one I use for 3D, to combat the dimming resulting from the 3D glasses.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

Oct 2012

I've tried many calibration for my tv set and i've search for hours for calibrating my tv and i finally found it and these settings have change my t.v. set completely. The picture is simply amazing when watching t.v. and of course 3d movies. Thanks to heavytonka for these settings.

Picture Menu:
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert 1
Backlight: 35 in a pitch black room (adjust to your needs)
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 52
H Sharpness: 0
V Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

Expert Control Menu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Black level: Low
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off [Grayed Out]
Gamma: 2.2

White Balance Menu:
Color Temperature: Warm
Method: 2-points
Pattern: Outer
Red: 24
Green: 35
Blue: 40

Color Management System Menu:
Red: Saturation 3. Tint 20, Luminance 0
Green: Saturation -10. Tint 0, Luminance 13
Blue: Saturation 1. Tint 0, Luminance 20
Cyan: Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 0
Magenta: Saturation -5. Tint 0, Luminance 10
Yellow: Saturation -10. Tint 0, Luminance 0

Picture Option Menu
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Eye Care: Off [Grayed Out]
TruMotion: Off
Dynamic Contrast: OFF
Super Resolution: OFF
Real Cinema: On
Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #4

Aug 2013

I've tried messing with a few of the 3D settings - mostly to try to enhance the "pop-out" effect - on a Samsung and an LG and usually just end up going back to the default settings.

One thing I noticed is that it's a bit of a give and take (perhaps more-so on my Samsung with active shutter glasses). On the Samsung, I noticed a little ghost imaging in the opening Walt Disney logo when the words 'Walt Disney' really pop-out in front of the Disney castle. When I adjusted the settings to make the words clear in the foreground, then other images in the background started to get a bit of ghost-imaging. I found that the default settings were the best happy-medium.

On the LG, it seems like the only occasional ghost-imaging is on the sides of the screen. Perhaps something to do with the polarized lighting. In any case, the ghost-imaging is pretty rare on both TVs and not a particular problem.

In the end, I've almost had to re-train myself of how to watch 3DÖ..growing up, the only 3D I've ever known was stuff like Disneyland where it's all about the "pop-out" action. And feeling like you can reach out and touch whatever you are watching and you really get that "wow" feeling. But with modern 3D movies, you really have to learn to appreciate the depth of the picture.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #5

Dec 2013
Default 3D Movie playback

Hi All,

I really need your help here.
I have S470 and i believe this is capable of playing 3D movies. I did some research and found that it requires firmware upgrade to activate 3D. I upgraded to latest version (788)as of now. but still it is not playing 3D.

Till now i didnt had any 3D compatible display device but just now i got 3D ready projector. Tried all possible to play 3D movies but it is still coming as the way it is displayed in non-3D compatible device.

Moreover, i m not very sure where is the problem. Is it bluray player or my projector or the movie format or the HDMI cable.

I want to narrow down my problem so that look for solution ..

Request you to please share your knowledge on this.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsahay View Post
Hi All,

I really need your help here.
I have S470 and i believe this is capable of playing 3D movies. I did some research and found that it requires firmware upgrade to activate 3D. I upgraded to latest version (788)as of now. but still it is not playing 3D.

Till now i didnt had any 3D compatible display device but just now i got 3D ready projector. Tried all possible to play 3D movies but it is still coming as the way it is displayed in non-3D compatible device.

Moreover, i m not very sure where is the problem. Is it bluray player or my projector or the movie format or the HDMI cable.

I want to narrow down my problem so that look for solution ..

Request you to please share your knowledge on this.
this is the bluray player settings needed after the firmware...

The BD output must be set at 1080P.

A.Press the HOME button.
B.Select Settings.
C.Select Screen Settings.
D.Select BD/DVD-ROM 1080/24P Output.
E.Select Auto.
F.Press Enter

what projector do you have?? what 3D movie?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #7

Aug 2014
Netherlands

Hi,

I'm wondering which 3D setting is the best. Currently I'm using the cinema setting. Does someone know the best setting (default or preset)?

TV: LG 32LB650V
Old 07-23-2020, 04:06 AM   #8

Apr 2017
Default What's the best picture setting for 3D LCD HDTV?

I have LG UH8500 TV, and it has multiple picture settings. Which mode is the best, like vivid, cinema, standard, etc? And what numbers for settings like contrast, brightness, etc?

Based on what I read, it's best to manually change max 3D depth, min 3D viewpoint, and put it to auto?

What about picture ratio. Widescreen, just-scan on or off, etc?

And finally, does dedicated bluray player plays 3D movies better than PS3 or PS4?
Old 10-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #9

Mar 2016
Canada

Hey xenoninjax, I have the 65uh8500. The ď manually change max 3D depth, min 3D viewpoint, and put it to autoĒ trick didnít work for me. I assumed Paul was referring to the LG Oled, but I could be wrong. Unfortunately my set usually shows minor crosstalk on most movies. I sometimes adjust dept and viewpoint settings for different movies but I seem to get cleanest overall picture with depth set at 0 and viewpoint set at +2.

We watched Son of Bigfoot this morning in a room that has 2 windows with plenty of light shining through and the picture was very bright and sharp.
Iím not suggesting my settings are perfect or they will work for your set but this is usually what we use during daytime 3D viewing.
Picture mode: Vivid
-Backlight: 84
-contrast: 84
-brightness:57
-sharpness: 21
-color: 70
-tint: 0
Color temp: C25
PIcTURE OPTIONS
-noise reduction: off
-Mpeg noise: off
-Black level: low
-Real cinema: off
-Motion eye care: off
-LED dimming: off
-Trumotion: off

Aspect Ratio: orginal/*overscan turned off to get full picture
3D settings: manual depth 0, viewpoint +2
Energy saving: Off
Eye comfort: off

The TV is mounted on a adjustable wall mount. It is tilted 15 degrees forward and our eye line is between mid screen and the lower 3rd of screen. We sit 10 feet away. Please let me know if these Setting help or if you have any suggestions to improve on my settings.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2021, 05:52 AM   #10

Apr 2017

Hey pick, thanks for response.
btw just to let you know, I tested all 3 models of UH8500 in the past, 55, 60, 65, and also OLED65C6P. Unfortunately 65 was the only one with bad crosstalk compared to other models. I think no matter the setting, 65 will show crosstalk due to possible defect or how it was made. Just to let you know in case you're trying to make it work better.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickit60 View Post

Aspect Ratio: orginal/*overscan turned off to get full
Hi pickit,

I'm glad you pointed that out. Up until a month ago I always had my overscan turned off but when checking advanced calibrations with the Disney wow, there was a section for scaling (vertical and horizontal overlay). Unfortunately, i misunderstood that to mean there was a specific pattern to lock into rather than refer to. And that test pattern could only be used with the overscan on. So I kept it that way while always thinking something had to be wrong somewhere. After reading your post I put the disc back in and realized my mistake.

I feel better now.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

The other day an article about high definition settings appeared on my Google homepage so I decided to look at it to make sure that my understanding of things was correct. There was just one thing that I had overlooked. Temperature setting.

Always used "cool" but the article (along with others I found) all stated to use the warm temperature for it's best for insuring natural colors. I never really bothered because the color calibration appeared accurate on the test pattern.

So I callibrated everything utilizing warm temperature and the standard mode (versus user). I was surprised it only required subtle changes in general user settings (brightness, contrast, color, etc.). Advanced settings (gamma, HDMI black level, etc) remained the same.

This allowed me to compare the new "warm" callibrated picture against my original "cool" temperature and callibrations. To my joy, I saw improvement in overall quality. White was more pure, detail a bit more pronounced and a wider variance of bright and dark. Color saturation was not so much stronger as it was different and thus more pleasing (assuming it's more accurate now. LOL).

Of course, this automaticly increased 3D picture quality as well, including a bit more depth. But with 3D user settings being mode independent, I needed to then match them to those for standard high definition. To my aded joy, this improved the overall 3D quality even more.

I then did the same for my den set up that uses the anaglyphic 3D video wizard which converts a standard HD monitor to 3D. Up till yesterday I had to resort to the vivid mode for 3D to get good overall depth so experimented with the movie mode.

This too resulted in improved picture quality and even more important, a very noticeable increase in 3D depth, including objects protruding beyond the screen a bit more. This really made me happy (especially avoiding use of the vivid mode except for 3D simulation).

So one is never too old to learn new tricks.

Last edited by Joe D.; 03-09-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (03-08-2021), BossTweed (05-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:44 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

An update on my 3D user settings.

Recently I happily discovered my Sony actually had independent user settings for 3D which did not affect those for standard high definition. I assumed the callibrated user settings for each mode (standard, custom, etc.) automatically applied to 3D as well (which was not the case). The 3D factory settings did not match those I made for high definition so adjusted them to be in synch with my 1080p calibrations except for a slight increase in sharpness.

Will not deny I was happy with the 3D beforehand but am now floored with the change in video quality I now have. Picture much richer in detail, resolution, color saturation, contrast/brightness balance etc., obviously leading to a deeper 3D effect. Its almost like having a new monitor.

But that's not all. Since settings for each mode are independent I was also able to tweak those for simulated 3D but with a "twist". Using the custom mode for Blu-ray and cable and standard for DVD, I still had available the 3D user adjustments under standard. But this is the "twist". My non region free 3D Blu-ray player has settings for simulated 3D depth. Because my monitor now senses an incoming 3D signal (when playing a standard bluray disc) I am able to utilize its true 3D circuitry. Using the Disney Wow calibration disc I based my adjustments on test patterns now appearing in 3D. The settings were just slightly different and then I made some subtle changes to eliminate the slight ghosting and shimmering.

While still only the picture pulled back, its amazing how deep the overall depth is. Some objects might appear slightly judding out from the screen with others appearing decently further back. And the objects have depth within them as well. An example is the front of a table appearing closest to the viewer while the rest gradually recesses in proportion. People get closer or further away as they move about.

Now I'm not claiming this to be on par with actual stereoscopic 3D but its really a pleasant simulation and much better than those German auto conversions. And of course some scenes stand out better than others.

As far as cable is concerned, can only use the monitor's limited simulation adjustments and though there is a sense of depth it is not nearly dramatic as a simulated Blu-ray fed into the monitor.

But I'm definitely having fun watching standard Blu-rays in this fashion. Though I would not recommend it for epics like Lawrence of Arabia, its perfect for most other films like Goldfinger and Peter Jackson's King Kong. Even a good DVD can be enhanced nicely.

And again, as far as actual 3D Blu-rays, its almost like upgrading to a better monitor
Thanks given by:
BossTweed (05-13-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors