Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.49
 
Top Gun 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.27
 
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.43
 
Arthur Christmas 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.73
 
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.50
 
Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99
 
Stalingrad 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.58
 
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99
 
Comin' at Ya! 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #81
spider-neil spider-neil is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I know what you mean but I would like to clarify:
You always get a 4K image (3D = two 1080P images) filling a UHD display.
An 8K display and a new 4K 3D format would be needed for Two 4K eye-views.
I get that. The pity is even with the 8k I don't think the likes of LG and Samsung will bring back 3D and if they did I don't think the likes of Disney will release 'true' 4k 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:14 AM   #82
MC123ABC MC123ABC is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2018
Default

Marvel has this thing where they extend the movie so long, and pack so many fast cut scenes packed with action, that it hypnotizes you.

The story needs not make any sense, by 3 hours you are drooling. Cheering at the ending, from fatigue that its over or actual satisfaction, is another call all together.

The 3D is out of this world and only of the Marvel universe. For sure.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
randomletterboxd (04-24-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 01:12 AM   #83
Freakyguy666 Freakyguy666 is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
It's not the OLED 3D display that makes 3D Pixar movies look tame. It is the digital z-plane processing value set on the player, a unique setting for the Blu-ray 3D disc data, where the player raises or lowers digitally, the z-plane processing percentage (like a sound-volume control) and will place the video graph coordinates for each plane-of-depth that determines available authored corresponding parallax levels the eyes use for fusing the visual 3D depth.
Having played with this setting on my oppo, I find that it doesn’t “improve” anything. The “total depth” as measured from the furthest (positive parallax) point to the nearest (negative parallax) point in any scene remains the same. The only difference is that the 0-level (at screen frame) of the z-plane may be moved slightly into the frame (into the screen) or out of the frame (into the room)—but the “total depth does not change. Therefore, I don’t see how one would find this change an “improvement”.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:58 AM   #84
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
Having played with this setting on my oppo, I find that it doesn’t “improve” anything.
Unfortunately this is a known issue for Oppo's and some displays and projectors.

The stereoscopic signal seems to depend on the architectural bandwidth of the 3D chip processing in each component.
Some 3D Projectors, will ignore the processing change, showing no visual result.
It completely works for LG 3D OLED displays, resolving the available depth. 100% effective for Oppo's connected to LG 3D OLEDS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:30 AM   #85
Freakyguy666 Freakyguy666 is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Unfortunately this is a known issue for Oppo's and some displays and projectors.

The stereoscopic signal seems to depend on the architectural bandwidth of the 3D chip processing in each component.
Some 3D Projectors, will ignore the processing change, showing no visual result.
It completely works for LG 3D OLED displays, resolving the available depth. 100% effective for Oppo's connected to LG 3D OLEDS.
To be clear, my Oppo is connected to my LG 3D OLED.

As mentioned, there is a “difference”... but I wouldn’t call it an “improvement”.

Are you seeing increased separation between layers? Are scenes where there is no pop-out (negative parallax) being pushed by the oppo to become pop-outs?

Please define what precisely you are referring to as “improvement”.

Last edited by Freakyguy666; 05-11-2020 at 04:35 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #86
3disciple 3disciple is offline
Member
 
Aug 2018
glasgow
1
Default

I tried Paul's settings on an oppo 203 with the lg c6 and have to say I saw no difference versus an lgup970 on default.

I vaguely recall discussion on this from 2016 with some reporting an improvement with particular manual settings but they are never as comfortable to watch as auto.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #87
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
To be clear, my Oppo is connected to my LG 3D OLED.

As mentioned, there is a “difference”... but I wouldn’t call it an “improvement”.

Are you seeing increased separation between layers? Are scenes where there is no pop-out (negative parallax) being pushed by the oppo to become pop-outs?

Please define what precisely you are referring to as “improvement”.
Visible increase in separation between layers.
Early Pixar CGI 3D titles are good for this distance observation because of early less-complicated rerendering.

Leave all 3D settings on the LG and Oppo at default with the exception of the Oppo player's "3D TV Size" value.
See:
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #88
Retired Flyer Retired Flyer is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2017
Default Retired Flyer

Hang in there Paul. I use your settings on my LG OLED and the OPPO 203 and there was dramatic 3D quality change. Thanks again.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #89
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
19
2222
35
2
2
Default

Just to keep this thread on topic it would be best to continue this discussion elsewhere e.g. in the Oppo/LG thread.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #90
levcore levcore is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
138
1896
3
Default

I rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last week. Still a very impressive 3D presentation all round which i'm sure most will agree ticks all of the 3D "boxes". Great sense of depth and separation between layers and good use of pop outs and occasional frame breaking. Whilst the movie is a bit of a mixed bag and the VFX are all over the place, the 3D never fails to impress and there is certainly enough action to keep the casual viewer engaged.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
MattMN (05-11-2020), Paul H (05-11-2020), the13thman (05-11-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 02:43 AM   #91
Freakyguy666 Freakyguy666 is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
With all 3D player settings at default, with the exception of Oppo's "3D TV Size" setting set to 999 the 3D will completely maximize. This is not mentioned in the manual.
What about your “FORCED & 16” settings? You no longer feel they are necessary given you wrote the 999 settings “completely maximize” the 3D?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:32 AM   #92
Paul H Paul H is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

^^^^To keep this thread on topic see Oppo/LG thread.

Last edited by Paul H; 05-12-2020 at 05:37 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
the13thman (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #93
levcore levcore is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
138
1896
3
Default

In terms of 3D only:

1. Captain Marvel
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Black Panther
4. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
5. Doctor Strange
6. Thor: Ragnarok
7. Ant-Man
8. Spiderman: Homecoming
9. Avengers: Endgame
10. Avengers: Infinity War
11. Ant Man and the Wasp
12. The Avengers
13. Spiderman: Far From Home
14. Captain America: The First Avenger
15. Thor: The Dark World
16. Iron Man 3
17. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
18. Captain America: Civil War
19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
20. Thor

To be honest i think even the weakest 3D movie, Thor still has decent/ adequate 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HDM_fan (06-05-2020), Paul H (05-12-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #94
Bluballs31 Bluballs31 is offline
Special Member
 
May 2008
2
Default

I just bought myself a gift of Endgame 3D, Inifinity War 3D and Doctor Strange 3D. Looking forward to watching them all since this damn pandemic has me looking forward to nothing else
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
emailking (07-09-2020), Okiephile (07-03-2020), pickit60 (07-04-2020), sevenlilies1937 (07-04-2020), the13thman (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #95
Okiephile Okiephile is online now
Special Member
 
Okiephile's Avatar
 
Sep 2019
Oklahoma
9
44
588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluballs31 View Post
I just bought myself a gift of Endgame 3D, Inifinity War 3D and Doctor Strange 3D. Looking forward to watching them all since this damn pandemic has me looking forward to nothing else
Doctor Strange has great 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
emailking (07-09-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #96
cornbread_1788 cornbread_1788 is offline
Expert Member
 
cornbread_1788's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Huntington, WV
125
1359
452
1
Send a message via AIM to cornbread_1788 Send a message via Yahoo to cornbread_1788
Default

So far I've only watched Thor through Thor: The Dark World in 3D and here's my ranking, least to best

5. Thor

A fairly decent presentation, but seemed rushed and not meant for 3D. Barely any pop-outs, but still had some depth to the image.

4. Thor: The Dark World

A better 3D picture, with some pop-outs, and plenty of depth, and seemed better planned for 3D. However, there is a lot of darkness shrouding the picture to truly enjoy it

3. Iron Man 3

This is more like it! A fairly strong 3D picture, plenty of pop-outs and depth.

2. Captain America: The First Avenger

Oh, this is good 3D! One of my favorite movies in the series, it has some great 3D moments, but still can be better on others. I also with the test footage for the 3D cameras they were gonna use was included.

1. The Avengers

I mean, seriously, it's just one of the best 3D films ever. Just wow
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:32 AM   #97
Movie Enthusiast Movie Enthusiast is offline
Member
 
Jan 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread_1788 View Post
So far I've only watched Thor through Thor: The Dark World in 3D and here's my ranking, least to best

5. Thor

A fairly decent presentation, but seemed rushed and not meant for 3D. Barely any pop-outs, but still had some depth to the image.

4. Thor: The Dark World

A better 3D picture, with some pop-outs, and plenty of depth, and seemed better planned for 3D. However, there is a lot of darkness shrouding the picture to truly enjoy it

3. Iron Man 3

This is more like it! A fairly strong 3D picture, plenty of pop-outs and depth.

2. Captain America: The First Avenger

Oh, this is good 3D! One of my favorite movies in the series, it has some great 3D moments, but still can be better on others. I also with the test footage for the 3D cameras they were gonna use was included.

1. The Avengers

I mean, seriously, it's just one of the best 3D films ever. Just wow
Oh, just wait until you get to the Guardian of the Galaxy movies, Thor: Ragnarok, and Doctor Strange. Those are some of my favorite 3D discs. Marvel does 3D right!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:05 AM   #98
cornbread_1788 cornbread_1788 is offline
Expert Member
 
cornbread_1788's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Huntington, WV
125
1359
452
1
Send a message via AIM to cornbread_1788 Send a message via Yahoo to cornbread_1788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Enthusiast View Post
Oh, just wait until you get to the Guardian of the Galaxy movies, Thor: Ragnarok, and Doctor Strange. Those are some of my favorite 3D discs. Marvel does 3D right!
Yeah I'm excited! I've heard bad things about the Winter Soldier disc though
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #99
spider-neil spider-neil is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2011
Default

Whether you like the movie Captain Marvel or not, there is no denying the 3D is reference quality.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
emailking (07-16-2020), Freakyguy666 (07-10-2020), magicforce (07-10-2020), Okiephile (07-18-2020), the13thman (07-11-2020)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 PM.