Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Captain America: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

Red Dwarf: Complete Series 1-8 (Blu-ray)
£33.00

Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
£15.00

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
£20.00

Mortal Engines 3D (Blu-ray)
£15.00

Mary Queen of Scots (Blu-ray)
£15.00

Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
£20.00

Vice (Blu-ray)
£14.99
10 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
£10.00

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Halloween (Blu-ray)
£13.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 01-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #1801
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinescot View Post
I just got a vision of the steelbook being dented as it drops down from its slot
I always worried about this, but there was a rubber mat at the bottom they fell onto. 10,000 BC was another one I got out of it

Can't believe nobody else remembers them
Old 01-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #1802
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Glasgow, UK

last film's I saw in Cinema was Bram Stoker's Dracula, and The Last of the Mohicans, so early nineties lol
I've had my own home cinema since then though
also remember managed to see Kickboxer when I was 14, just paid in for PG film and went in

spoke to Fopp yesterday to see if they had any new release's in stock
and guy said to phone back next week, as they should know by then
Thanks given by:
Ste7en (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #1803
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Crikey, I think you must be a bit early with that timeframe for VHS and even Betamax there Aclea, late 70s surely?
No: if you go back to trade magazines like Kine Weekly from the late 60s and early 70s, when home video was still in its theoretical stages as a retail format - rental chains weren't even being discussed - it was simply assumed that it would follow the theatrical distribution model and be distributed through cinemas with strict controls. It was quite a hot button subject at the time, but the notion of shops springing up specifically to sell videos, or indeed even of music shops selling videos let alone mail order, wasn't even considered (in itself curious considering Super 8mm films were sold in camera shops and a few department stores but at the time were primarily mail order). It's quite fascinating to read them with hindsight when the market turned out so very differently - and in a way it's the market's tendency to defy attempts to control it that have led HMV to this point.

Last edited by Aclea; 01-24-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
David M (01-26-2019), FaceInTheLeaves (01-25-2019), Shingster (01-26-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #1804
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
Sometimes people like to find out what screen a movie is on and select the seats they like for that performance.

Without planning and booking in advance via the web the only way you can do it is at the counter.
This. Also if you want to pay with cash (an old-fashioned concept, I know).
Thanks given by:
Ste7en (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #1805
Expert Member

Sep 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
Sometimes people like to find out what screen a movie is on and select the seats they like for that performance.

Without planning and booking in advance via the web the only way you can do it is at the counter.
The self service machines inside cinemas allow you to select where you want to sit and show the whole seating area. I never go to a ticket desk.
Thanks given by:
Ste7en (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #1806
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
The self service machines inside cinemas allow you to select where you want to sit and show the whole seating area. I never go to a ticket desk.
Ah, I've never seen one of those.
Thanks given by:
samdaman94 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #1807

Mar 2018

Got Little Stranger in the post today from Amazon, that was due to be a HMV exclusive, Searching another HMV exclusive I had pre-ordered only for HMV to cancel the order, no sign of any other store stocking that blu ray yet. Seeing as the release date was Jan 7th you think there would have already been copies made of it
Old 01-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #1808

Oct 2012
Bromley, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessgleek View Post
Got Little Stranger in the post today from Amazon, that was due to be a HMV exclusive, Searching another HMV exclusive I had pre-ordered only for HMV to cancel the order, no sign of any other store stocking that blu ray yet. Seeing as the release date was Jan 7th you think there would have already been copies made of it
That's thrown me too. The bluray's obviously would have been pressed by the point HMV went into administration, yet they hadn't cropped up with any other retailer. Maybe there's still potential HMV will stock it when/if a purchase is completed.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #1809
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Surrey, UK

Was in Croydon this evening and they were shutting up shop at 7:30pm when they're supposed to close at 8pm. I guess they've just given up now. CLOSING DOWN - UP TO 50% OFF signs everywhere, so they're definitely going.

Kingston and Wimbledon branches still looking OK.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #1810
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigdu View Post
Was in Croydon this evening and they were shutting up shop at 7:30pm when they're supposed to close at 8pm. I guess they've just given up now. CLOSING DOWN - UP TO 50% OFF signs everywhere, so they're definitely going.

Kingston and Wimbledon branches still looking OK.
Are you sure that isn't because they only had a temporary lease in very expensive Croydon ?

Old 01-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #1811
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Parallel Universe View Post
Are you sure that isn't because they only had a temporary lease in very expensive Croydon ?

Yes, thatís right. Posted this earlier up the thread. Was a temporary sight they have been using, hence the paint peeling off the walls inside and all the fixtures and fittings having seen better days. They obviously wanted through Christmas and January sales but now makes sense to vacate as high street sales plummet early in the year after the end of year splurge.
Thanks given by:
Si Parallel Universe (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #1812

Oct 2012
Bromley, UK

The Bluewater store had quite a few copies of Super Troopers on the shelves today, they had none last week so that was a nice surprise. They also had new music releases that came out today, the first since the administration announcement.
Thanks given by:
Si Parallel Universe (01-26-2019), Ste7en (01-26-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #1813

Dec 2018
Norwich, England

Potentially a good sign then.
Thanks given by:
controlfreak (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #1814
Power Member

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

I don't know if it's been posted on this thread yet, but another HMV exclusive 4K steelbook has shown up elsewhere; Venom this time. I know people hoped that this one not showing up elsewhere had made people confident that HMV had sorted things out with suppliers for this release, but that seems unlikely now.

https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/venom...d_blu_ray_uhd#
Thanks given by:
AlanUK (01-25-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #1815

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
I don't know if it's been posted on this thread yet, but another HMV exclusive 4K steelbook has shown up elsewhere; Venom this time. I know people hoped that this one not showing up elsewhere had made people confident that HMV had sorted things out with suppliers for this release, but that seems unlikely now.

Thanks for posting that. Been waiting for a chance at getting this again.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:16 AM   #1816
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
No: if you go back to trade magazines like Kine Weekly from the late 60s and early 70s, when home video was still in its theoretical stages as a retail format - rental chains weren't even being discussed - it was simply assumed that it would follow the theatrical distribution model and be distributed through cinemas with strict controls. It was quite a hot button subject at the time, but the notion of shops springing up specifically to sell videos, or indeed even of music shops selling videos let alone mail order, wasn't even considered (in itself curious considering Super 8mm films were sold in camera shops and a few department stores but at the time were primarily mail order). It's quite fascinating to read them with hindsight when the market turned out so very differently - and in a way it's the market's tendency to defy attempts to control it that have led HMV to this point.
Interesting, I guess it would have been easy to speculate that some form of home format was coming down the pike back then given the cumbersome nature of 8mm and the radical leaps TV was making.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:10 AM   #1817
Special Member

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post

As I noted in the steelbook thread with regards to this release:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialAgent View Post
Sony have made the lovely decision they also made with Blade Runner 2049 of removing a featurette (Venom: From Symbiote to Screen, about 20 mins long) from the regular release so itís only available within the steelbook. This is region ABC whereas the US release is region A locked so if you only have a region B player, itís something to watch put for.

Itís a silly waste of a bonus disc when more content could go on there.

The steelbook looks nice but even using 10% off, £27 hurts a little.
For more mainstream titles coming out at least you can still support physical retail (for now), I looked in Sainsburys and they do have A Simple Favor. But besides picking up Premium Collection titles, without having new releases in store I tend to separate online ordering and physical purchases mentally - so Iíve been buying less and nothing new.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 AM   #1818
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Interesting, I guess it would have been easy to speculate that some form of home format was coming down the pike back then given the cumbersome nature of 8mm and the radical leaps TV was making.
The technology was already in the marketplace in the 60s - if you had a few grand for a very basic early model (the first commercial model sold in the US in 1956 had a $50,000 price tag). There were a lot of competiting formats that never made the grade even before the VHS/Betamax showdown. I don't think anybody anticipated quite how cheap the machines would be or how big the uptake, but the prospect of films being sold on video was a big cause of dissent between the studios and the theater chains - the nearest comparison would be over who would pay for theaters to convert to digital projection. In both cases it was something the theater chains didn't want but knew the studios were pushing for, and they were determined that they weren't going to be out of pocket because of it.

Exhibitors and studios had previously agreed to a provision that all 8mm 'feature' releases of recent films (at that time meaning anything made in the previous 15 years) would have to be cut by 10% to prevent the cheaper prints being used by local cinemas to bypass the studios (as a result the average 90 minute film would be edited down to 72 minutes on Super 8 for several years). With home video the exhibitors were emphatic that they had to control distribution to compensate for any loss of market share, and there were rumblings of boycotting booking films for theatrical screenings from any studio that disagreed (much like the way the three major UK chains regularly beat down Disney when they try to cut the theatrical window on films like Alice in Wonderland or get a bigger percentage on films like The Avengers). At the time it was assumed that cinemas would actually be selling the films they were showing at the time, so customers could buy them on the way out if they liked them.

So even before the format wars there were years of studios and exhibitors trying to work out exactly how home video would work - and the road map that studios and exhibitors were using in the late 60s-early 70s was very different from the way things eventually turned out.

Last edited by Aclea; 01-26-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Thanks given by:
David M (01-26-2019), Patient-X (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #1819

Feb 2016
UK

Iíve not been keeping up with whatís going on with HMV but If I have preorders with their online store should I be looking to cancel them as they are probably not going to be fulfilled?
Old 01-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #1820
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xapi3 View Post
Iíve not been keeping up with whatís going on with HMV but If I have preorders with their online store should I be looking to cancel them as they are probably not going to be fulfilled?
They have been gradually going through and cancelling online pre-orders as the release date draws near. So all my January titles have now gone plus the Bohemian Raphsody digibook exclusive.

This is because suppliers donít usually supply new stock during administration as high risk of not being paid. However a few posts above this there is comment some new music titles appeared in store this week, but seems no video.

If you can get a good price elsewhere then move, as HMV unlike to fulfill the order. You are too late with Amazon as they jacked up all their pre-order prices a few days after the administration was announced.

What are you waiting on ? Many of the exclusive steelbooks have appeared at Zavvi and Zoom, but the new Premium Collection titles are AWOL

Others like Indicator are similar price buying direct from Powerhouse.

The ones I am really hurting on going without are the Arrow new releases which used to be in HMVís 2 for £25. Now no one close to that price as seem to be around £18 each even direct from Arrow.

Looking at my BD spending, HMVís problems have halved it as prices now much higher so less impulse buys on new releases. Now many more going on wish list for future sales, and even then may skip.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland