Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

House on Haunted Hill (Blu-ray)
$25.99
6 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
20 hrs ago
The Nun (Blu-ray)
$22.99
20 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
10 hrs ago
Freedom Fighters: The Ray (Blu-ray)
$9.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Mamma Mia! (Blu-ray)
$6.99

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.45
22 hrs ago
Sicario: Day of the Soldado 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
16 hrs ago
Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #41
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
Well, I was over on XE and Spiritual Kung Fu is $30 before shipping. So, that's a lot cheaper than, say, buying a Japanese Godzilla Blu-ray. So, maybe I could see myself buying a few of those, ripping them and encoding subtitles. But, for now, eh, the shipping is still a killer.
Depends on where you get it from... I'm dodging Amazon.co.jp, as their shipping would put one disc at $55. If I play my cards right at HMV, I could get the films for around $30-$35 each, but they tend to have "bulk buy" sales.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #42
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Depends on where you get it from... I'm dodging Amazon.co.jp, as their shipping would put one disc at $55. If I play my cards right at HMV, I could get the films for around $30-$35 each, but they tend to have "bulk buy" sales.
Eh, maybe if someone does a group buy.

And Bruce Lee was mentioned, I'm still planning on getting those German Region B editions.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #43
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Eh, maybe if someone does a group buy.

And Bruce Lee was mentioned, I'm still planning on getting those German Region B editions.
Any specific draw for those German discs? I think I read that they have the classic English dubs, but apparently the Japanese ones will as well... but more about that in another thread
Old 08-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

German is my second language. That's why I am partial to getting the German over the HK releases.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #45
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
German is my second language. That's why I am partial to getting the German over the HK releases.
Ah, good call then They should be legit HD transfers, just like the HK discs as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #46
Expert Member

Nov 2009

The German Blu ray's do have the original English dubs..but....Fist of Fury is missing the first 7 minutes of the dub, it reverts to German i think and the English dubs still have the god awful added sound fx that the HK releases have, thats why i didn't buy them.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #47

Jan 2009
QLD, Australia

use yesasia free shipping and they carry almost all the Japanese Jackie chan films Japanese and Hong kong
Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #48
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrus View Post
use yesasia free shipping and they carry almost all the Japanese Jackie chan films Japanese and Hong kong
True, but their prices are a bit pricier than HMV... depending on how you play your cards, you can get one of the blus on HMV between $30 and $35 YesAsia is closer to $40. Not a big difference, but "difference enough".
Old 09-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #49

Oct 2011
Montreal,Canada

japanese picture quality should be alot better ( i hope ).. by the way guys does anybody knows a certain link where we can buy these? i looked on ebay for the japanese realeases but i couldnt find them there.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #50
Expert Member

Nov 2009

According to a reliable source on Kung Fu Cinema forum Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars Japan Blu ray is an upscale.
Also The Young Master Japanese Bluray apparently is awful. Something about it being the usual cut down export version but with a mixture of the old english dub and the new english dub on occasion....
Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #51
Power Member

Dec 2009

Ah yes, heard about all of this as well. Actually, I think the story with The Young Master is that the "Japanese theatrical reproduction" bonus feature uses the Hong Kong cut, but tries to patch together the true classic English dub with the newer HKL/Fox English dub to fill in the gaps.

However, what doesn't make sense is that some of us more hardcore JC fans have access to a Japanese TV cut of The Young Master dubbed in English, which features a LOT more of the final fight with Hwang In Sik missing from the usual English dub. It's not 100% uncut compared to the HK cut, but most of the missing English dialogue (yes, the classic voice actors) is present in this version. Why they couldn't find a broadcast tape of this cut from a Japanese studio is beyond me.

As for TTLS, the upside is the outtakes reel, which, as I'm sure you've caught online, is a montage of "NGs" from the Jackie Chan Lucky Star trilogy. Never seen them before, myself.

However, there's another new Jackie Chan blu-ray coming out that sounds pretty good... I'll update soon...
Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #52

Jul 2009
Deep South
Default Policay Story 1 Steelbook!!

Just see this one:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ポリス・.../dp/B0098WN9SG

any chance this will be actual HD release, not the same up-converted Fortune-Star master...?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #53

Dec 2011
Germany

Love the artwork!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #54
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsetse27 View Post
Just see this one:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ポリス・.../dp/B0098WN9SG

any chance this will be actual HD release, not the same up-converted Fortune-Star master...?
Ah yes, you beat me to that one That was the "good news" I was eluding to in my last message... but I lost track of things and haven't updated the main page yet. Anyway, I would *hope* that this has a new transfer, but apparently there's a rumor that a 35mm print of the extended cut featured on the rare Japanese laserdisc was found and being scanned for this release. Whether or not it will be the main cut featured on this disc is yet to be seen.

Regardless of all of that... I may have to get it just for the steelbook and artwork! Gorgeous! Oh wait, that's another Jackie Chan movie
Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #55

Jul 2009
Deep South

Quote:
Ah yes, you beat me to that one That was the "good news" I was eluding to in my last message... but I lost track of things and haven't updated the main page yet. Anyway, I would *hope* that this has a new transfer, but apparently there's a rumor that a 35mm print of the extended cut featured on the rare Japanese laserdisc was found and being scanned for this release. Whether or not it will be the main cut featured on this disc is yet to be seen.

Regardless of all of that... I may have to get it just for the steelbook and artwork! Gorgeous! Oh wait, that's another Jackie Chan movie
With limited understanding of Japanese, seems the main selling point of this release is the two (?) additional Japanese dub soundtracks...
running time is still 100 minutes (is that Japanese-cut running time?)
Price is not too bad, considering it's a limited steelbook from Japan (yes, love that old-school cover design.)
should I take a chance and preorder....???

Last edited by tsetse27; 09-20-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #56
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
With limited understanding of Japanese, seems the main selling point of this release is the two (?) additional Japanese dub soundtracks...
running time is still 100 minutes (is that Japanese-cut running time?)
Price is not too bad, considering it's a limited steelbook from Japan (yes, love that old-school cover design.)
should I take a chance and preorder....???
I may order from HMV, as their shipping is apparently lower. As for the runtime, 100 minutes is still the HK cut, I noticed that too. The extended cut is around 106 minutes.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #57
Power Member

Dec 2009

Finally updated this with the "Ultimate Edition" of Police Story!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #58

Jul 2009
Deep South

Quote:
Finally updated this with the "Ultimate Edition" of Police Story!
Just checked Amazon-Japan listing, looks promising!

日本公開時本編(HD)現存する日本公開時フィルム(第25回東京国際映画祭 上映版)よりHDテレシネ【字幕音声:オリジナル(広東語) 2.0chモノラル/字幕:ON・OFF不可】

Japan theatrical version HD... (The 25th Tokyo International Festival version).... soundtrack: Cantonese 2.0 ch

Hopefully it means the original Cantonese track!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #59
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Just checked Amazon-Japan listing, looks promising!

日本公開時本編(HD)現存する日本公開時フィルム(第25回東京国際映画祭 上映版)よりHDテレシネ【字幕音声:オリジナル(広東語) 2.0chモノラル/字幕:ON・OFF不可】

Japan theatrical version HD... (The 25th Tokyo International Festival version).... soundtrack: Cantonese 2.0 ch

Hopefully it means the original Cantonese track!
Exactly, that's what I mentioned in the latest update Apparently for the upcoming Tokyo International Film Festival, they're having a Raymond Chow tribute night, with the extended earlier cut of Police Story playing as part of the festival. From what I've read, it's implied that Paramount borrowed this print to make an HD transfer out of it as a bonus feature on the blu-ray. My guess is that the "main feature" of the disc will be the mainstream 100 minute Hong Kong theatrical cut (which may be the same upconverted Fortune Star master), but the Japanese extended cut will be in full true HD as a bonus. Never thought I'd see the extended cut outside of the rare Japanese laserdisc!

And yes, the soundtrack should be Cantonese mono, although it's not 100% identical to the HK theatrical cut (I know at least one music cue is missing, the little "rap diddy" that plays as Chan tries to wipe the cow crap off his shoe at the Sha Tau Kok police station).
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #60

Dec 2007

If this copy is indeed an actual HD transfer, I'd pay for an arm an a leg for it. That's how much I love Police Story. Whether or not if it's the HK or Japanese, cut doesn't matter so much to me. Both versions were good in their own right, but the Japanese version had a better ending.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia