Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
22 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50
23 hrs ago
Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99
16 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Strangers: Prey at Night (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59

Waterworld (Blu-ray)
$36.68

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany
Hong Kong Wong Kar Wai - Random Talk about all the releases

Since we startet talking about his releases in most of the threads , its probably a good idea to Start a separate Thread to collect information about the differences of his cuts , the releases by various countrys and everything else.

Feel free to post information about the releases Avaible , subtitel examples or reviews and everything elese WkW related.

Last edited by Mansinthe; 09-23-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Thanks given by:
ChromeJob (03-29-2015)
Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany
Default All his movies - Open Spoiler for more

Fallen Angels - 1995 UK / HK / JP / US / KR

[Show spoiler]

Ashes of Time Redux - 2008 UK / GER / JP

[Show spoiler]

As Tears go By - 1988 HK / KR (both releases are from the same master , same subs)

[Show spoiler]

Days of Being Wild - 1990 KR / HK (same release , ports!)

[Show spoiler]

Chungking Express - 1994 US / UK / HK / KR / JP

[Show spoiler]

In The Mood For Love - 2000 US / KR / JP

[Show spoiler]

Happy Together - 1997 US / JP / KR

[Show spoiler]

My Blueberry Nights - 2008 UK / FR / ES / JP / BR

[Show spoiler]

2046 - 2004 KR

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by Mansinthe; 09-23-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

The Grandmaster 2013

Information about The Grandmaster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grandmaster_%28film%29
http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/20...-turning-back/

the different "cuts" are not just shorter versions of the 130 min HK release, all releases feature alot of different footage or are cut in different ways. its worth to check out all 3 cuts if you really want to experience The Grandmaster

108 min "Weinstein Cut" US / CA

123 min "International cut" Ger / FR / KR / JP /

130 Min "HK/China Cut" HK

there are Various collectors editions in many countrys like steelbooks , digipacks etc. but i didnt include these since this thread should be more about his movies in the first place.

For the Grandmaster there are some scandinavian releases as well. but i have no idea if these information in the database are actually correct.

Last edited by Mansinthe; 09-23-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #4

Dec 2009

Shit, we created a WKW thread roughly at the same time
Old 09-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by depp91 View Post
Shit, we created a WKW thread roughly at the same time
if you dont mind maybe we could just add your post to this thread? i would like to add all his movies , links to shops and other information

note:

did try to find out some stuff about the EoS entertaiment releases. such a shame , i couldnt find a single review for one of the movies. and in most forums what people only seem to care about is the slipcover.
most comments are actually like this "omg i want this"...

thats as far as interesst in most WkW movies seem to go ;(

its really a shame that the actuall release is way less important for most people than the package.

expect some anime and random movies they seem to be more of a DVD label. the WkW movies seem to be one of the first bluray series for a director they are doing.
i might be wrong but i assume we wont see "criterion" style releases by them.

Last edited by Mansinthe; 09-23-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Expert Member

May 2011
Rome, Italy

Re. the look of ItMfL and CE:
CC's In The Mood for Love, unlike the previous DVDs, features a newly-struck transfer approved by one of the cinematographers, so there's absolutely no doubt: it's the most reliable release.
On Chungking Express: the audio on the Criterion was supervised by WKW in Taipei. It's true they used their master for the video, BUT in a way said master was supervised too. It should be bear in mind that's not a new generation master, of course. But preferences aside, indeed it looks way superior in many places: for instance, some sequences are totally dark¹ on the other releases and look unpolished to say the least, with lots of speckles; one cannot claim the "international look" comes from a recent resto. What do I mean with "in a way supervised"? The ratio. In fact, only the CC version features the 1.66 ratio, all the other being in 1.85. And if you read the booklet, you'll find out that WKW himself insisted on the 1.66:1 ratio, rather than the theatrical one. So it's even possible WKW gave other advices concerning the video section (on the discussed colour timing, for example). For such reasons, I think we can safely say that CC' Chungking is the most accurate at present.

¹https://images3.static-bluray.com/re...82_2_1080p.jpg
https://images.static-bluray.com/rev...71_2_1080p.jpg
Old 09-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan8700 View Post
Re. the look of ItMfL and CE:
CC's In The Mood for Love, unlike the previous DVDs, features a newly-struck transfer approved by one of the cinematographers, so there's absolutely no doubt: it's the most reliable release.
On Chungking Express: the audio on the Criterion was supervised by WKW in Taipei. It's true they used their master for the video, BUT in a way said master was supervised too. It should be bear in mind that's not a new generation master, of course. But preferences aside, indeed it looks way superior in many places: for instance, some sequences are totally dark¹ on the other releases and look unpolished to say the least, with lots of speckles; one cannot claim the "international look" comes from a recent resto. What do I mean with "in a way supervised"? The ratio. In fact, only the CC version features the 1.66 ratio, all the other being in 1.85. And if you read the booklet, you'll find out that WKW himself insisted on the 1.66:1 ratio, rather than the theatrical one. So it's even possible WKW gave other advices concerning the video section (on the discussed colour timing, for example). For such reasons, I think we can safely say that CC' Chungking is the most accurate at present.

¹https://images3.static-bluray.com/re...82_2_1080p.jpg
https://images.static-bluray.com/rev...71_2_1080p.jpg
Be cool if we saw optional cuts from both cinematographers - I'm a huge fan of Chris Doyle...was it him or the other guy?

I'd love to see the remaining WKW titles released in the UK. I already have them on DVD (apart from his first couple which are OOP...but available to stream on Amazon Prime it seems), and Palisades Tartan are hanging onto them still I presume. A shame they're not doing anything and putting their efforts into the US market, leaving UK fans with the option of either DVD's or importing/region-free players. I also doubt Artificial Eye will release Happy Together on blu-ray...

The good news is that Metrodome have acquired The Grandmaster which almost certainly guarantees a blu-ray release of at least one of the cuts (most likely whichever is released in cinemas...International Cut is my guess).
Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

Quote:
Be cool if we saw optional cuts from both cinematographers - I'm a huge fan of Chris Doyle...was it him or the other guy?

doyle left in the mood for love after WkW did decide to reshoot the movie in thailand. not much of the footage is from Doyle that ended in the final cut that was released.

at least the bonus features on the criterion release say so.

im glad they didnt use doyle for in the mood for love. couldnt be better...
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
Expert Member

May 2011
Rome, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansinthe View Post
doyle left in the mood for love after WkW did decide to reshoot the movie in thailand. not much of the footage is from Doyle that ended in the final cut that was released.

at least the bonus features on the criterion release say so.

im glad they didnt use doyle for in the mood for love. couldnt be better...
Well said. They used Ping Bin as reference 'cause he was the one who replaced Doyle, and could remember the 'finished product' and check the materials. When they want, CC guys are really great! The same happened with 2046 - but the cinematographer there was the great Kwan Pung-leung, who had already worked with Doyle on Ashes of Time.

Tartan are SO lazy (just think of all the Bergmans), and I'm sure they will never upgrade most of their titles, but I guess it's partly due to the recent bankrupt.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #10

Mar 2014
UK

It's a real shame that Criterion's Chungking Express is out of print. I'm not really willing to pay £50+ for it. I hope it comes back into print at some point...
Old 09-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRingshifter View Post
It's a real shame that Criterion's Chungking Express is out of print. I'm not really willing to pay £50+ for it. I hope it comes back into print at some point...

well you could check out the Korean release. no idea what transfer they use
but the criterion release is very well worth it. i got mine cheaper. i think it was under 26 GBP (shipped) only a few weeks ago.

wonder what happend that amazon did increase the price of the UK release so much (19,99 GBP 0_o)
Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Joining this thread
Thanks given by:
Mansinthe (09-24-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #13

Dec 2010

there is a fr wkw box

http://www.amazon.fr/Coffret-Révolu...s=Wong+Kar+Wai
Old 10-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

I haven't seen My Blueberry Nights yet, but, can someone explain why it didn't review nearly as well as his others;

Days of Being Wild. 96
In The Mood for Love. 85
2046. 78
My Blueberry Nights. 52
The Grandmaster. 72
(Metacritic scores)
Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #15

Jun 2012
Adachi, Tokyo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
I haven't seen My Blueberry Nights yet, but, can someone explain why it didn't review nearly as well as his others;

Days of Being Wild. 96
In The Mood for Love. 85
2046. 78
My Blueberry Nights. 52
The Grandmaster. 72
(Metacritic scores)
Hi,
Honestly I must actually be one of the only people that loved this movie. I bought the Japanese BD as soon as it became available
I think most people dismissed it because it is an English speaking movie and claimed that Jude Law and Norah Jones acting wasn't up to scratch.
I had no problem with Jude Law and watching Norah in this movie was just delightful
It also doesn't display the more 'obvious' WKW trademarks we've come to love. But again, I think they are still there but just more subtle.
Thanks given by:
eiknarf (10-03-2014), Renophaston (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Thanks.
My library carries the DVD. I'll take it out. If I like it, like the way I love In The Mood and 2046, I'll import the Japanese blu
Old 10-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
Special Member

Dec 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
I had no problem with Jude Law and watching Norah in this movie was just delightful
It also doesn't display the more 'obvious' WKW trademarks we've come to love. But again, I think they are still there but just more subtle.
I don't think two people could have a more different opinion.

I've tried to watch MBN a couple of times, and each time bailed before finishing the film.

Far from not showing WKW's trademarks, part of what annoyed me about the film is that it seems like nothing more than WKW imitating WKW - as if he thought no one in the English speaking world could possibly have seen "Chungking Express" or "Fallen Angels," so all of this would be new to them.

In "Chungking Express," WKW cast a famous singer (Faye Wong, of course) who ended up stealing the movie. Unfortunately, Norah Jones had neither the acting talent or charisma to pull this off in MBN.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010

Quote:

Days of Being Wild. 96
In The Mood for Love. 85
2046. 78
My Blueberry Nights. 52
The Grandmaster. 72
(Metacritic scores)
I didn't think it was an awful film, but it was easily my least favorite WKW film, and I have little desire to watch it again.

I'd probably rank them (since people seem to be all over the place with personal preferences on WKW films):

In The Mood For Love
The Grandmaster
Chungking Express
Happy Together
Fallen Angels
Ashes Of Time
Days Of Being Wild
As Tears Go By
My Blueberry Nights

The top 8 are pretty tight for me, with a bigger drop off between Days and Tears, abd another drop off between Tears and Blueberry

I would imagine Blueberry being at or near the bottom of most people's lists would be the most consistent opinion.

Last edited by shadedpain4; 10-03-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #19

Sep 2011

Quote:
Thanks.
My library carries the DVD. I'll take it out. If I like it, like the way I love In The Mood and 2046, I'll import the Japanese blu
Is there any particular reason you're going after the Japanese blu? I have the UK blu and it's great quality and (I assume, anyway) cheaper than the Japanese.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutimus View Post
Is there any particular reason you're going after the Japanese blu? I have the UK blu and it's great quality and (I assume, anyway) cheaper than the Japanese.
Might only have Region A access.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia