Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$49.99

Fifa 21 (PS5)
$59.94

Control (PS5)
$39.99

Overcooked! All You Can Eat (PS5)
$34.99

Godfall (PS5)
$39.99

Ratchet & Clank (PS5)
$69.88

Hitman 3 (PS5)
$49.94

Demon's Souls (PS5)
$69.00

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)
$69.00

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS5)
$49.44

The Nioh Collection (PS5)
$69.00
21 hrs ago
Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS5)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 02-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #101
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOfTheBlackPool View Post
You should give Gamefly a try. Great way to try out games that you're unsure of without spending the cash only to find out they're not what you expected. If you do like the game you can purchase it, usually at a discount, and they will send you the case with booklets, codes included.
I have at times, just a little costly to keep all the time as I don't always have time to bother with rentals when I get sucked into new releases that were sure-fire day one purchases. Even less time now with Gamepass, the PS+ collection having so much I want to play.

I stay pretty busy with those services and for games I buy I mostly just buy physical and sell on eBay when I'm done to be frugal since I don't collect and rarely replay. Stay under Gamefly fees that way, but will reassess once my cheap years of Gamepass are up.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #102

Feb 2020
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
If story is the main goal, then yes, it would be a waste to skip over major plot points of dialog. But if action/adventure is the main goal, then not at all. With no story at all, this game is still fun to play IMO; a major purpose of a video game.

I'll watch major cutscenes, but any dialog between vendors or townspeople and stuff that doesn't lead to any key plot points, I'll skip.
Some RPGs can be a real chore to slog through all the endless and often unnecessary dialog windows. I used to read every single sentence, but over the years, realized much of it wasn't necessary, having much less time to spare.
Judging from my experience with the game. Half the experience is it being a fun take on Greek myth for beginners. Not only that, but the dialogue is usually linked to the puzzles in someway with some cool easter eggs etc. Miss those and it takes most of the point out of the game. Whether the game play is fun or not, it's like taking the meat out of a burger and being happy with the bun because it is still food.
Thanks given by:
Todd Smith (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #103
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud_Almighty View Post
Judging from my experience with the game. Half the experience is it being a fun take on Greek myth for beginners. Not only that, but the dialogue is usually linked to the puzzles in someway with some cool easter eggs etc. Miss those and it takes most of the point out of the game. Whether the game play is fun or not, it's like taking the meat out of a burger and being happy with the bun because it is still food.
Thanks. So it sounds like the dialog actually is required to help solve the puzzles. Interesting if that's true. That would give the dialog more meaning for the actual gameplay/puzzles.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #104
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Started it late last night and only got through the prologue, but I love this game! It's uniquely made and quite funny. And best of all it definitely looks like a fun adventure. Already a great $30 investment.
Thanks given by:
Todd Smith (02-17-2021), Zivouhr (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 01:55 AM   #105
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas King View Post
Started it late last night and only got through the prologue, but I love this game! It's uniquely made and quite funny. And best of all it definitely looks like a fun adventure. Already a great $30 investment.
Cool. Just started today here. Great game so far though my only graphical issue without an update is screen tearing is pretty noticeable when turning. It cuts right through the center horizontally. I'll update the game as it's distracting and hope it's ironed out with the update.

That aside, I've been waiting to play a fun adventure open world game like this for a very long time. This game delivers. This is different than the demo which gears you up with lots of abilities from the start, but here, everything has to be earned. The demo was a great taste of the potential of this game once you earn the cool abilities like flight/gliding.

Character creation was basic but good enough to get the look of the character I was going for.

The armor and masks are cool to earn and unlock.

The story is better here than in the demo, so I'm paying attention. I like how it starts off showing the main villain.

But yeah, great controls, fun world to explore and lots of fun abilities make the game great so far. Can't wait to explore more of the world.

This could be the PS5 game of the year IMO for 2020.
Thanks given by:
Todd Smith (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 02:45 AM   #106

Feb 2020
Scotland

Quote:
Thanks. So it sounds like the dialog actually is required to help solve the puzzles. Interesting if that's true. That would give the dialog more meaning for the actual gameplay/puzzles.
It's not quite like helping with the puzzles. It's more the context of the puzzle. If you find one and it comes with dialogue, there's usually something fun to look at around the puzzle. One good example is the arrow challenge at the hydra or when you find the golden fleece. There's some fun references etc.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 02:54 AM   #107
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud_Almighty View Post
There's no real point playing this game if they're going to ignore the dialogue. A bit of a waste really.
Honestly, the only way I can enjoy an Ubisoft game these days is to skip the dialogue. Anyway, the demo for this was a big turn off for me but the positive impressions here have me a little more interested. It felt completely unoriginal and derivative--like they basically slapped the Ubisoft open world template on Breath of the Wild--but maybe I didn't get to the good parts?
Old 02-18-2021, 03:42 AM   #108
Special Member

Jul 2017
The Redwoods

Did anyone else notice the nod to Kratos in the character creation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E79ED4C2-46BA-4C26-B1CE-844824322E24.jpg (9.4 KB, 8 views)
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #109
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Quote:
Cool. Just started today here. Great game so far though my only graphical issue without an update is screen tearing is pretty noticeable when turning. It cuts right through the center horizontally. I'll update the game as it's distracting and hope it's ironed out with the update.

That aside, I've been waiting to play a fun adventure open world game like this for a very long time. This game delivers. This is different than the demo which gears you up with lots of abilities from the start, but here, everything has to be earned. The demo was a great taste of the potential of this game once you earn the cool abilities like flight/gliding.

Character creation was basic but good enough to get the look of the character I was going for.

The armor and masks are cool to earn and unlock.

The story is better here than in the demo, so I'm paying attention. I like how it starts off showing the main villain.

But yeah, great controls, fun world to explore and lots of fun abilities make the game great so far. Can't wait to explore more of the world.

This could be the PS5 game of the year IMO for 2020.
It feels like a friendly teen-version of AC: Odyssey, and it's awesome. Plus is gorgeous to look at.

This game should be more popular.
Thanks given by:
KilloWertz (02-18-2021), Zivouhr (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #110
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnoyes View Post
Honestly, the only way I can enjoy an Ubisoft game these days is to skip the dialogue. Anyway, the demo for this was a big turn off for me but the positive impressions here have me a little more interested. It felt completely unoriginal and derivative--like they basically slapped the Ubisoft open world template on Breath of the Wild--but maybe I didn't get to the good parts?
The depth of the demo won me over. What's interesting is that island isn't in the main game. They made the island just for the demo it seems. Unless it emerges later on.

But yeah, if you give the demo another try and still don't like it, then the game is not your style understandably.

I normally don't go for cartoony games and would choose games like Days Gone first, but I'm glad I gave this a chance. It's pretty awesome IMO.

A combination that brings me back to Soul Reaver with the gliding and otherworldly enemies, and the fun gliding ability.
Plenty of Shadow of the Colossus horse riding and climbing too. The meter even shows up for stamina.

Breath of the Wild copied the classic Shadow of the Colossus, guaranteed with the climbing stuff especially. Even so, it doesn't mean Breath of the Wild isn't a great game.

I managed to rush explore 75% of the world and it took me an hour to cover it so far. The game is giant.

Very creative game with all the stuff you can do; excellent controls, and fun to play IMO. Proof that a game doesn't need to be 100% original to be worth playing.

Quote:
It feels like a friendly teen-version of AC: Odyssey, and it's awesome. Plus is gorgeous to look at.

This game should be more popular.
I think it's doing well, with plenty of positive reviews, but yeah, I'm not sure what the expectations for sales were for it.

Started playing late last night and couldn't stop playing until 3 in the morning. Had to force myself to stop playing finally. Felt like a kid playing with a new fun video game console for Christmas with Fenyx Rising on PS5.

That update, 12GB worth, cleared up ALL of the awful screen tearing in the disc version thankfully. it should've been figured out before going to disc, but thankfully it's smooth now.

Great game!
Thanks given by:
Todd Smith (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #111
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

It obviously wasn't going to put up initial sales on the same level as Assassin's Creed, but I do think it will do well enough for a sequel.

It's one of those games that will sell a decent amount steadily because of pretty good word of mouth ever since release. It's not constantly making headlines, but it does get brought up enough by people. Kind of like Control was in 2019.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #112
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Well

Never buy a game on a Monday.

I bought the game full price here + the season pass. ($79.99/53.49)

Tuesday that was cut 50%.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #113
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

14 hours into Fenyx Rising and probably only 10% done. Lots of things to do in this game.

Fenyx Rising has a TON of adjustable options for gameplay, but also includes 60 fps performance or quality mode. I believe the game is defaulted to 60 fps mode, and the difference in this one is major in terms of gameplay.

For Fenyx Rising, 60 fps mode is the way to play IMO.

From the super smooth and very responsive 60 fps mode, I switched to quality mode and while the water looks more realistic, the frame rate drops to what feels like 24 fps, where you can actually see the screen flicker like a 24 fps movie can as you slowly scroll/pan from left to right for example. It almost felt like I was playing in slow motion at first. After playing for 30 minutes, I switched back to Performance 60 fps mode and could barely see a difference in visuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
It obviously wasn't going to put up initial sales on the same level as Assassin's Creed, but I do think it will do well enough for a sequel.

It's one of those games that will sell a decent amount steadily because of pretty good word of mouth ever since release. It's not constantly making headlines, but it does get brought up enough by people. Kind of like Control was in 2019.
Thanks. That sounds hopeful, even though I'd be surprised if there is a sequel. But if so, they could either take the theme of the Greek mythology again or add this gameplay formula to a new theme to keep things fresh.

The variety of gameplay mechanics are impressive. Uibsoft Montreal have a talented team of programmers too, being able to have so many varied abilities for the player and not crash the game or experience a single glitch in 14 hours of game play so far. The only initial performance issue was from the disc without updates, where the screen would tear when turning the camera.

I earned the Giant Hammer ability and that destroys enemies faster than anything, with probably the most damage possible of all the other special attacks. It's great that you don't need to earn magic to use it, as it only relies on your stamina meter which automatically refills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Well

Never buy a game on a Monday.

I bought the game full price here + the season pass. ($79.99/53.49)

Tuesday that was cut 50%.
That's expensive. Sorry to hear that. I know amazon will change their prices every day almost. Often when a person buys something at full price, it goes on sale the next day it seems.

Are you starting to play more of the game lately, Derb?

The volcano icon puzzles are soon optional for the lightning points that earn extra stamina. Those are some of the toughest puzzles in the game. One was where you have to move 3 spheres through an obstacle course and trigger different outlets to progress. The problem is, some of it falls on pure luck to get a ball past a wind chute or it falls into space and the whole puzzle needs to restart.
I like the challenge of the guided arrow puzzles. Sometimes lighting them on fire is the key before hitting the charcoal holders.

The main missions seem to be action based.

The combat is real time, challenging but fun IMO. Plenty of time to back away and regain healthy/stamina before attacking again.
Thanks given by:
Leonidas King (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 09:34 PM   #114
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

Yes, I love this game. It also helps a lot that I enjoy Greek Mythology.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:50 PM   #115
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Yes, I love this game. It also helps a lot that I enjoy Greek Mythology.
Cool. Are you playing 60 fps mode on your PS5?

I have a silver horse with wings, but it doesn't actually fly unfortunately.

How do you get the bird to activate? I have a parrot (green) in the bird circle in the inventory menu, but maybe later it'll activate.

I like how some of the puzzles test your memory skills. For the musical notes and sequences of some puzzles in specific order to unlock things, I'll assign each note or platform circle a number in my mind to help remember.

Though one puzzle I'm on in an optional volcano near a lava pit that had to be unlocked, I'm going to have to write down the pattern as it's 20 platforms to keep track of.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #116
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
S p a r t a

I can't do 30fps anymore as my eyes are already accustomed to 60.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:47 PM   #117
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
I can't do 30fps anymore as my eyes are already accustomed to 60.
Yeah even with excellent PQ in Watch Dogs, Id prefer they scrap RT & give us a 60fps option. Im sure theyd still be able to keep the resolution.

For Immortals, I briefly tried 30. Nope!
Old 02-21-2021, 12:53 AM   #118
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Yeah, Fenyx game plays awesome in 60 fps. In 30 fps or less it seems, it's like the game is in slow motion with less responsive controls.
Fenyx Rising is definitely and easily my favorite PS5 game over Miles Morales, Cyberpunk (PS4 on PS5), Watch Dogs Legion and Astrobot. I wish I bought this back on December 3, 2020 but the sale price of $30 off was really nice too. Still, it's worth $60 IMO.

I hope playing too many games in 60 fps doesn't ruin the enjoyment of older PS4 games on the PS4. I'll have to switch my PS4 external HDD permanently to the PS5 to play on that instead. Main reason I switched it back to PS4 is for the PSVR games on the drive. I'll load them internally into the PS4 instead.

Yeah, Watch Dogs Legion could use 60 fps for the vehicle controls which are not too good. They took a step backwards in that game for vehicles.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Tags
fenyx, phoenix, rising